Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Montebecane?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Montebecane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 09:30 AM
feltdude
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Montebecane?

Anyone have any experience with these bikes?
Old 07-22-05, 09:32 AM
* jack *

Bikes: more, please.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
<edit:> disclaimer: the following post contains misinformation, read at your own risk:

I assume you mean Motobecane. Good French bike maker in the 70's, went out of biz in mid 80's.
Changed name to MBK and they make mopeds or something.
Chinese (Taiwanese?) company now uses the old name to trick people into buying their poorly constructed bikes.
I think that about covers it.

Last edited by * jack *; 07-22-05 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-22-05, 09:37 AM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by * jack *
the full Monte?

I assume you mean Motobecane. Good French bike maker in the 70's, went out of biz in mid 80's.
Changed name to MBK and they make mopeds or something.
Chinese (Taiwanese?) company now uses the old name to trick people into buying their poorly constructed bikes.
I think that about covers it.
How poorly constructed? Just curious.
Old 07-22-05, 09:41 AM
* jack *

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Just anecdotal, but I've heard stories of weak welds.
Old 07-22-05, 09:48 AM
* jack *

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
from Sheldon's site:

Motobécane built both motorcycles and bicycles. "Motobécane" is a compound word made up of two colloquialisms stuck together. "moto" is a slang word for motorcycle; "bécane" is slang for "bike" (pedal type.)

Note that, unlike most French makers of the era, Moto used Swiss thread bottom brackets for most models.

Motobécane was the first French maker to start using Japanese parts, in the late '70s. This was a very good move on their part, because at that time Japanese derailers and crank sets were very much better than the older French designs common on mid-priced 10-speeds. This was largely due to the influence of their U.S. importer, Ben Lawee.

A successor company is still in business in France, under the name MBK (pronounced "emm bay kah."

A company called Motobécane USA has revived the name for a line of bikes made in Taiwan, but that company has no connection with the French company.

from ClassicRendezvous:

Motobecane bicycles have a particular place in the hearts and minds of vintage bikes buffs, especially those of us who were first introduced to lightweights in the 1970s... Established in 1923, by 1984 Motobecane had become a top French brand with 2000 employees. Most recently it is known as "MBK."
Old 07-22-05, 09:53 AM
Dinstee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a motobecane back in the early 80's. It was a decent bike that took alot of abuse from an inexperienced rider...me. Today's motobecane's aren't what they used to be. (like those up there ^ have already pointed out)
Old 07-22-05, 10:00 AM
samp02

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji's that have been rebadged******************************
* jack *

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Cousins
The Motobecanes at Bikes Direct are last year's Fujis with different decals.

Good bikes. Jack is way off.
Thanks, Ben I should stay over in the Classic & Vintage forum...

Last edited by * jack *; 07-22-05 at 01:36 PM.
wrench_meister

Bikes: The only one I'll ever need...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you get it with a good wheel set....if the wheels say Alex Rims then try to get a different set or buy a different bike.

Aside from that, the only time I saw them fail was when a guy tried to ride his MTB off of the roof of his house. The down tube snapped in half.
Old 07-22-05, 11:26 AM
woodboy
...and SnowDog

Bikes: 2015 Scott CR-1; 2013 Kona Jake the Snake; 2003 Scattante XRL; 1991 Raleigh Talon drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Motobecane Legacy Elite on EBay a couple of years ago. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it except that I didn't know what I was doing at the time and got too large a frame. I have since moved the components over to a new frame (if anyone's interested in a 58cm Kenesis frame with a Reynolds Carbon Ouzo fork). The fork, component group (Shimano 105), and wheelset (Velomax Circuit) made it a good value no matter what decal was on the frame.
Old 07-22-05, 11:40 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I've got a Motobecane Mirage Pro. It's got over 3k miles and still going strong.

The wheels are alexrims DA22 which replaced the alexrims R15. Pretty decent as far as low end bikes are concerned.

p.s I bought it off of ebay for 370 something bucks.
Old 07-22-05, 01:31 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Motobecane Centry Pro, Carbon seat stays and fork, weld quality is excellent, as good as the guy that did the welding on my racecar. I've VERY pleased with it. I still love my cannondale T800, but if I'm going out for a QUICK ride, that's my mount.

Steve W.
Old 07-22-05, 01:45 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Cousins
The Motobecanes at Bikes Direct are last year's Fujis with different decals.

Good bikes. Jack is way off.
More complicated than that. Motobecane's name is owned by a mysterious company that seems to be part of the huge Cycle Spectrum/BikesDirect.com/E-BayStores outfit. They own a handful of "names" that they PRETEND are actual bike companies, rather than just house brands.

Some of their bikes may use frames purchased from the same factory in China that also sells frames to Fuji. Sharing a source of frames and components does not convert these into Fuji bikes. One key difference: a Fuji bike is backed by a Fuji warranty. If you buy a mail order Motobecane, the practical value of the warranty is dubious.

If you have your heart set on a Motobecane, visit a Cycle Spectum store. Their models in the $300 to $500 range represent good value for the price. After you get to the $600 to $900 range, there are a LOT of other brands you can be looking at.
Old 07-22-05, 03:19 PM
kubrickian
All Work And No Play...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The following are owned by Cycle Spectrum/Bikes Direct "outfit":

Motobecane, Mercier, Gravity, Windsor.

They are also at least 3 different sellers on ebay, even though one of them claims to be an individual.

The bikes they sell ARE pretty cheap compared to other "bigger" brands such as Trek, Cannondale, etc. but overall the main reason to buy these bikes is for the component group you get for the price. The frame/fork aren't really the gravy but some people want a somewhat killer ride for about 1/3 of the price. Also, some people don't care about name brands. But in order to get the warranty offered on their bikes it's a better bet to buy them at one of their bike shops, which is kinda hard since they are only in three states. But getting them online isn't a bad deal. Unless something goes wrong and then you have to deal with a certain someone at the company who often acts like a 5 year old when it comes to replacing damaged parts/frames/whatever.

I'm not a schill for them, not by a long shot.

Peace.
Old 07-22-05, 05:06 PM
feltdude
dog = interval

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks.
Old 07-22-05, 05:18 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Name recognition helps sell bikes . . . M'cane went belly up and like othert 'names'
they hope to sell. You can buy branded bikes by name of Cadillac, Jeep and BMW to mention a few.
Anyone can build it 'cheaper' . . .
Old 07-22-05, 08:04 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
For the record, it's pronounced "moldy pecan"

I still have the one I bought in 1981.
Old 07-22-05, 08:30 PM
Kalrom

Bikes: 2005 Motobecane (USA) Super Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, I recently decided to take up road cycling as a means to help quit smoking. As long as my lungs are burning somehow, I'll be happy. I enjoyed cycling as part of my soccer training in college and wish to take it up again. I decided on road vs. trail for a few reasons:

1. The less upright riding position will force me to stretch my back.
2. More hand placement options...keep comfortable by switching positions.
3. I'm a super-competitive person and while racing is not in my future, I'd like to go both fast and far and monitor my progress along the way.

All that being said, I discovered that road bikes are alot more expensive than I thought. I went to 10 cycling (4 pure cycling, 6 department) stores in my area and the cheapest new bike I found was a 2004 Fuji for $499.00 that was scuffed up from being bumped around the shop. So I did some looking and research on the internet and found a 2005 Motobecane (USA) Super Mirage on Ebay for $297 + $40 shipping. Apparently the Motobecane license ran out and a US group claimed it recently and has begun producing bikes again. What I'd like to know from the experienced cyclists is:

1. Did I get good value for the bike (ie. the components)?
2. What else at a minimum will I need to get on the road ($200 or less if possible)?

I've included the BikesDirect.com listing for the 2004 Super Mirage and the 2005 Motobecane.com listing also. I'd also like to know what differences I should expect my bike to have from the 2004 listing. All thoughts and criticism are appreciated!!!

Thanks again,

Kal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Motobecane.com listing:

Shimano Sora Triple STI 24 Speed, Polished Forged Aluminum Triple Crank, DuraForte OS Chromoly Frame, DuraForte Chromoly Fork, Alex Double Wall Wheelset, M-Wings Competition Bar, Stem and Seatpost
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2004 bikesdirect.com listing:

Motobecane has improved the Super Mirage for 2004. Now handmade with precision TIG welds that are lighter and stronger ever. Still the same great comfy magic carpet ride with improved Dura Forte Chromoly steel tubing.

Compare to the Fuji Ace, the Super Mirage offers the same great comfy and stable ride of steel but with more gears for even greater versatility.

Frame: Handmade Full Dura Forte Chromoly, Precision TIG welded with Rack and Fender brazeons
Fork: Full Dura Forte Chromoly Unicrown
Derailleurs: Shimano sora
Shifters: Shimano sora STI
Brakes: Shimano sora
Hubs: Alloy with 8 speed cassette
Rims: 700 x 20 Alloy 36H
Crank: Cyclone Alloy Triple 52/42/30T
Saddle: Velo racing with Kevelar side panels
Seatpost: Alloy micro-adjust
Pedals: Alloy quill with toeclips and straps
Tires: Maxxis 700 x 25 C
Colors: Jett Black Gloss
Sizes: 50 cm, 53 cm, 56 cm, 59 cm, 62 cm

Compare this bike at $899.95, but bikesdirect.com offers
it for only $425.00 including free delivery to your door.
Old 07-22-05, 08:44 PM
dcon

Bikes: '05 Bianchi Eros; '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
899.95 is a lot to even quote as a "campare at" for a bike with Sora components
Old 07-22-05, 09:04 PM
jaws

Bikes: 06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 2003 Motobecane Le Champion which came equipped with Ultegra Triple and Velomax wheels. The less important components were M-Wings brand (Motobecane's own logo). I have over 4,000 trouble free miles on it. I shopped it against Trek, Cannondale and other big name bikes and the Motobecane was about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost. I have tried new upper end bikes but keep going back to the LeChampion.
Old 07-22-05, 10:05 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the $330 one. I wrote a somewhat detailed review:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=motobecane

Bottom line is that they're good bikes, especially for the $$$, but sizing can be an issue since you can't try it out. I guess I got lucky (sort of, it's not rocket science). I took a 50 mile ride today with no pains whatsoever...Plus you have to assemble it yourself, which isn't a big deal. I would have purchased a bike from my LBS if I had some more cash, but I am very satisfied with my Motobecane. Its definately not a Fuji...compare the bottom end Fuji's (and bikes like the Giant OCR series) with my bike and you'll fine the geometry is a lot different. The top tube slopes down slightly instead of up giving it more aggressive handling closer to a Trek 1000.

Last edited by mrchristian; 07-22-05 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-22-05, 10:31 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Mine's held up well enough that I've upgraded the heck out of it.

The welds on mine seem adequate, of course the test of time is what will prove that, and so far it's been great. The frame has, by my guesstimation (time and average distance a week I ride) about 3,000 miles on it now (first 700 was the previous owner...bought mine used).

The frames are made my Kinesis, and they make pretty good frames, as many companiies use their stuff.

The company that makes them has partaken in some rather misleading sales tactics though, and I think that's where most of the beef is. Just be sure to compare that model with a similar model from another maker in terms of what's on it, not in terms of price (since the company that owns moto now gives sky high MSRPs to make the "sale price" look like a great deal).
Old 07-22-05, 10:34 PM
alraicercsu

Bikes: Litespeed Hyperion, 06 cervelo soloist team, 69 motobecan grand touring, 72 motobeacn grand touring, 2004 giant OCR3 converted into a TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old 1968 motobecan grand touring frame that is now a fixie. Its an awsome frame but I have no idea about the new ones.
Old 07-22-05, 11:46 PM
Kalrom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input all...I really do appreciate it. As I'm new to it, I really just wanted to make sure that I got some semblance of value for the $400 I was willing to spend to get into the sport. From what I've read...for $200 more, I could have gotten a markedly better machine, but as I can't appreciate the difference (due to the fact that I haven't ridden at all yet) I probably did okay price-wise. Ask me again if I'm still riding a year from now and I'll probably tell you that I should have bought a number of other bikes...but as long as I'm not being totally jipped...I'm happy for now. Couple more days and I get my first ride...

Kal
Old 07-23-05, 12:05 AM
Kalrom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MrChristian,

Your review was awesome, well written and extremely helpful. Thanks for the link. I am indeed planning on spending $45 to have it assembled at a local bike shop, which seems about right after what you stated, plus I still need all of the other tangibles to get it on the road that you discussed. As I have nothing, what (with $200) should I buy now to at the least get on the road and maintain?

P.S. Bear in mind that I'd really like a pedometer or cyclometer to guage my progress...I've seen the ridiculous range of $12.95-$105.00 for what I imagine to be entry-level models.

Anybody feel free to chime in with my thanks!

Kal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.