Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized Hardrock vs Rockhopper

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 01:14 AM
mike09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a rookie here and to the mtb world but am very excited to get my very first bike and hit the great outdoors. I'm looking into entry-level Specialized bikes, based on my budget I'm looking into these two models. Can anyone give me some insight on the similarities, differences, pros, and cons of the Hardrock and Rockhopper? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-06, 01:24 AM
古強者死神
Team Katana

Bikes: None /cry

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rockhopper is a thinner lighter xc type frame and has a few components upgraded on it vs the hardrock. This would be my personal choice. The hardrock is heavier and more agressive probably good for urban rampaging and the like.

Ride both and pickt he one that you like best its all about the frame and fit as the components will be replaced with time.
Old 08-07-06, 07:59 AM
airpressure
I can't stop!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally think the rockhopper has a bettter frame other than that the hardrock is a great bike aswell.
Old 08-07-06, 08:29 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just bought a '07 Hardrock, after riding about a dozen bikes. The day I bought it, I was comparing the following directly - '06 Hardrock Comp Disc, '06 Rockhopper, '07 Hardrock, '07 Rockhopper and '06 Stumpjumper.

The component set on the '07 Rockhopper is... weird. I honestly don't think it's worth the $150 upgrade from the Hardrock, but it's all about personal preference. It's light and fast, but the Hardrock isn't a slouch. Between the two, ride 'em. That's all I can say.

Obviously the Stumpjumper is leaps and bounds above both of 'em, but for a premium
Old 08-07-06, 10:49 AM
mike09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 古強者死神
The rockhopper is a thinner lighter xc type frame and has a few components upgraded on it vs the hardrock. This would be my personal choice. The hardrock is heavier and more agressive probably good for urban rampaging and the like.

Ride both and pickt he one that you like best its all about the frame and fit as the components will be replaced with time.
When you say xc, does that mean cross country, as in casual designated trail/path riding? Does that mean if I decide to take more aggressive/remote trails that there is a higher possibility that the Rockhopper will not hold up (bend/warp)? I'm a beginner so I'll definitely be starting off with the easy xc trails but as I become more comfortable I hope to take on more challenging/aggressive trails so I want the bike that will basically accomodate both styles. Oh yeah, and I plan to ride on local beach boardwalks once in a while as well. Are either of these paved concrete friendly? Sorry for all the newb questions, you'll have to pardon my ignorance. I have so many questions and much to learn. Thanks for all your help guys!

Last edited by mike09; 08-07-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 10:55 AM
Hawkear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you say xc, does that mean cross country, as in casual designated trail/path riding?
XC is a step up from the recreational trails/paths. XC bikes can handle quite a bit.
Old 08-07-06, 11:06 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike09
When you say xc, does that mean cross country, as in casual designated trail/path riding? Does that mean if I decide to take more aggressive/remote trails that there is a higher possibility that the Rockhopper will not hold up (bend/warp)? I'm a beginner so I'll definitely be starting off with the easy xc trails but as I become more comfortable I hope to take on more challenging/aggressive trails so I want the bike that will basically accomodate both styles. Oh yeah, and I plan to ride on local beach boardwalks once in a while as well. Are either of these paved concrete friendly? Sorry for all the newb questions, you'll have to pardon my ignorance. I have so many questions and much to learn. Thanks for all your guys' help!
At a local shop, I finally found a salesperson who "gets it". I asked him quite a few question, and finally it was down to frame strength. As he put it "you will break everything on either of these bikes, including yourself, before you EVER hurt the frame". Seriously, either bike is going to last a LONG time.

If you are riding concrete trails, the Rockhopper is a little more concrete friendly. It "feels" a little faster, which could very well be imagination, but whatever.
Old 08-07-06, 11:08 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
XC is classic mountian biking: sporty riding at high intensity on rough trails up and down hills. No big dropoffs, stunt riding, kamikaze descents.
Old 08-07-06, 03:34 PM
Little Leo
SwampFox

Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the rockhopper and or the hardrock a good racing bike? or just a weekend rider?
Old 08-07-06, 04:05 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can race on anything. But I'd imagine that you would want a Stumpjumper for XC racing. Those things are niiiiice
Old 08-07-06, 08:58 PM
mike09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped by my first LBS after work and checked out both the Hardrock and the Rockhopper. After inspecting both and trying them out, I've decided to go with the Rockhopper. Now I need your help in deciding between purchasing the basic Rockhopper w/ v brakes for $469 or upgrading the basic Rockhopper w/ disc brakes for $599. Basically, paying an extra $130 for disc brakes. Is it worth it in your opinion? The rep at the shop liked to think so, but then again their job is to sell. He said that there's much more control, power, and that it bites much better in wet conditions. As far as price, I'm going to check out two more shops this week and try to negotiate the best deal of the three shops. Does anyone in the SoCA area know of any good bike shops w/ a good deal for this bike? Thanks again!
Old 08-07-06, 09:09 PM
betes

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you really gonna be riding that much in wet conditions? If not, I wouldn't say it's worth the upgrade.
Old 08-08-06, 12:11 AM
mike09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fyi - The disc brakes mentioned are front and rear Avid BB-5, mechanical disc with 6" Roundagon rotor.
Old 08-08-06, 01:25 AM
OttawaMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this same decision... I had a base Rockhopper but ended up switching it for the Rockhopper Comp to get the discs. Reason being I knew I would want to put discs on soon enough and it's cheaper to get them at the time of purchase rather than paying for new hubs/wheels that will take a disc and buying the brakes.
Old 08-08-06, 10:10 AM
mike09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OttawaMTB
I just went through this same decision... I had a base Rockhopper but ended up switching it for the Rockhopper Comp to get the discs. Reason being I knew I would want to put discs on soon enough and it's cheaper to get them at the time of purchase rather than paying for new hubs/wheels that will take a disc and buying the brakes.
The Rockhopper I'm looking into is the base model with disc brakes added, not the Comp model. So in reality this setup is not just different brakes but hub/wheels too? I just thought about it and was even considering just buying the basic Rockhopper and adding an aftermarket disc (not the Avid bb5's for $599) but now you're telling me that the hubs/wheels will also need to be changed if I want to do that? If that's the case, I'm guessing the basic Rockhopper with the disc brakes ($599) added has different hubs/wheels. I'm confused, help!

I'll basically be paying an extra $130 for the disc brakes (Avid bb5's) on the basic Rockhopper for a total price of $599. For $130 are the Avid bb5's a good setup or are there better ones for that price?

I really appreciate everyone's comments! (I have much to learn from all of you)
Old 08-08-06, 10:21 AM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What conditions do you expect? I don't think there is a big difference between discs and v's in dry conditions.
Old 08-08-06, 11:02 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't let the brake question drive you too crazy. I ride in New England, where it gets sloppy at certain times of the year. I run discs, but some of my buddies run v-brakes. We all are able to control our bikes... basically, you get used to what you have. That said, the one with the v-brakes may already be disc ready. You should check with your LBS on that. But, if your thought would be to upgrade to discs down the line, I'd say just spend the extra $130 now because it's probably cheaper than buying the equipment and having it installed at a future date.
Old 08-08-06, 03:12 PM
mike09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I just bit the bullet and purchased the 07 Rockhopper Comp Disk for $800 at Rock N Road Cyclery in Laguna Niguel. I know it's atleast $200 over my intended budget and I feel like it was almost an impulse buy but I told myself I'd make it a worthwhile investment by putting a million miles on it. It's ordered and will be arriving next Monday for pickup. What are some other misc. items I need/should purchase? Helmet, inner tubes, pump, water bottle, water bottle cage ... Any recommended sites or stores to purchase these misc. items? Thanks!
Old 08-08-06, 03:45 PM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My suggestions?

Two water bottle cages, four water bottles (cleaning them all the time.. sucks), thorn proof tubes to replace the stock ones, and some gloves (the specialized BG ones are nice). Nashbar.com is great for purchasing.
Old 08-08-06, 11:01 PM
OttawaMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike09
Ok, I just bit the bullet and purchased the 07 Rockhopper Comp Disk for $800 at Rock N Road Cyclery in Laguna Niguel. I know it's atleast $200 over my intended budget and I feel like it was almost an impulse buy but I told myself I'd make it a worthwhile investment by putting a million miles on it. It's ordered and will be arriving next Monday for pickup. What are some other misc. items I need/should purchase? Helmet, inner tubes, pump, water bottle, water bottle cage ... Any recommended sites or stores to purchase these misc. items? Thanks!
Nice purchase!
You can prob get the shop to throw-in a bottle cage and bottle for free... prob costs them $5 max for the pair for some cheap ones and normally they include them with bike purchases.
I'd say pickup a helmet, tube, pump and a multi-tool. Topeak makes some good stuff.
You'll enjoy the Comp Disc model... has nice upgrades over the base/base disc.
Old 08-09-06, 12:08 AM
mike09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OttawaMTB
Nice purchase!
You can prob get the shop to throw-in a bottle cage and bottle for free... prob costs them $5 max for the pair for some cheap ones and normally they include them with bike purchases.
I'd say pickup a helmet, tube, pump and a multi-tool. Topeak makes some good stuff.
You'll enjoy the Comp Disc model... has nice upgrades over the base/base disc.
Topeak seems like the popular brand so I'll go with them for the pump and multi-tool. Is that pronounced like 'top peak' or 'to peak'? As for the tubes, are the tubes pretty much the same from brand to brand as far as quality, there are so many different brands/types, can someone explain these different types.

- Schrader tube
- PV tube
- Long PV tube
- Self healing
- Ultralight (sounds pretty self explanatory but I'm sure more can be said)
- Thorn resistant (sounds pretty self explanatory but I'm sure more can be said)

Fyi - the Rockhopper comes with Specialized 26x2.0 schraeder valve.

So do you guys usually where a small bag pack to carry all these misc. items while riding?

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-09-06, 04:50 PM
Minesbroken
It is what it is...

Bikes: Trek 6500 w/ stuff

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice purchase, I'm building one of those with some nice hop ups love the rockhopper.
Old 08-10-06, 04:48 AM
OttawaMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's "top peak"... as in like the top peak of a mountain.

I just picked up a Topeak mini-pump and multitool myself and they are great quality for the price.
Check with the shop you got the bike from... at mine I get 20% off any accessory since I bought the bike there.
Old 08-11-06, 07:07 AM
Kingbozo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a camelback or similar product and keep all your junk in there. A co worker just got a Rockhopper comp disc and it came with an air sprung fork, contrary to what the Specialized web site says is spec. If you have the same fork you will need a shock pump as well. Read the manual for the fork! Getting it set up properly for your wieght is very important to how well the bike will ride.
Old 08-12-06, 05:10 PM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's a few trails up in my area were the trail has a 5 to 15 foot drop straight down, some people jump it. im a wimp so I dangle the bike off and try to drop it square on the tires. its a trek 4500 and has had no problems from this, even when it hits something on the way down and lands on the handlebars or sideways on the seat. however if my 200 pound butt was on it going off these it might not do so well. my point is either the rockhopper or hardrock would probably be fine in much harsher conditions than you imagine, within reason. if you ever plan on a 5+ drop (with your body on it) though i'd recommend at least the hardrock, perhaps something else completely