Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy Frame vs BD Gravity Frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 11:31 AM
RyKnocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm still very new to all of this. So far I know that going with an LBS is the way to go and I would love to do that, but I'm also a "bang-for-buck" kinda guy that doesn't mind tinkering with mechanics. It's my understanding that many frames on the market are made in the same factory and that frames within a certain price point generally perform the same. Yet, I still find myself a bit torn. Here are the bikes:

Giant Defy 5
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....5/9014/48856/

Gravity Comp X
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/comp_x.htm

Aside from the obvious difference in componentry (Gravity wins by a long run), the frames are nearly the exact same dimensions. A plus that I saw with the Gravity was that it will come with a carbon fiber fork where the Defy will come with an aluminum composite.

So putting LBS/Warranty/other highly debated topics aside, will there be much difference in the way these frames will perform?
Old 03-28-12, 11:47 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
It is my understanding though reading online that the Gravity frames are a direct COPY of the Giant frame. By no means am I inferring that they are the same, or even manufactured by the same people, just a copy of the Giant. With that said, arguments abound here concerning similar issues. The material used for the tubing, minute differences in geometry, stiffness of the tubing, welds...there are a lot of factors that can effect the ride quality.
A couple of my friends could not ignore the obvious value of the Gravity brand (and no I am not a shill), and ordered them offline from BD. I was quite impressed with the quality of the package as compared to the price and componentry. Aside from the welds being a bit big, the overall look was very good, and the group was a major plus for the price. I think when you are considering the value it is very hard to ignore these bikes from a savings standpoint. However, there is an argument to be made for the LBS experience, support, fit, and the future possibility of warranty issues and/or adjustments.
Old 03-28-12, 12:02 PM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
It is my understanding though reading online that the Gravity frames are a direct COPY of the Giant frame. By no means am I inferring that they are the same, or even manufactured by the same people, just a copy of the Giant. With that said, arguments abound here concerning similar issues. The material used for the tubing, minute differences in geometry, stiffness of the tubing, welds...there are a lot of factors that can effect the ride quality.
A couple of my friends could not ignore the obvious value of the Gravity brand (and no I am not a shill), and ordered them offline from BD. I was quite impressed with the quality of the package as compared to the price and componentry. Aside from the welds being a bit big, the overall look was very good, and the group was a major plus for the price. I think when you are considering the value it is very hard to ignore these bikes from a savings standpoint. However, there is an argument to be made for the LBS experience, support, fit, and the future possibility of warranty issues and/or adjustments.
Thank you as that is very informative. Did you by any chance get to ride the Gravity bikes that your friend's purchased? If so, how do you rate them from a beginner's standpoint?
Old 03-28-12, 12:12 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Yes, both of them purchased the Apex equipped bikes and are very satisfied with them. My impression of them is also very good when considering the price. It wasn't some miracle of engineering, it is an inexpensive bike with entry level components and rides like it.
Old 03-28-12, 03:59 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
It is my understanding though reading online that the Gravity frames are a direct COPY of the Giant frame.
This is 100% false and it is simple to see just by looking at the stock photos in the OPs link. The frame geometry IS identical to the Giant Defy but the tubing shapes are by no means even similar really. For instance the Giant has an integrated headset and a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" tapered head tube, the Gravity has a straight 1 1/8" head tube and traditional headset. I have the Gravity Liberty frame on a bike I built up for my son and these would be my notes on it: The headset is CRAP, plan on replacing it right away if you buy this bike...I did. The fork has a steel steerer tube and is VERY heavy...that said it may be better than an all AL fork in terms of shock absorption. The quality of the frame is pretty good otherwise.

If I was looking at those two bikes (and I was for my sone) I would go for the Gravity but plan on replacing the headset immediately. Also I hate paired spoke wheels...that is a negative for the Gravity. What about this one instead? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../liberty_x.htm or this one https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../liberty_3.htm
Old 03-28-12, 06:01 PM
RyKnocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
This is 100% false and it is simple to see just by looking at the stock photos in the OPs link. The frame geometry IS identical to the Giant Defy but the tubing shapes are by no means even similar really. For instance the Giant has an integrated headset and a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" tapered head tube, the Gravity has a straight 1 1/8" head tube and traditional headset. I have the Gravity Liberty frame on a bike I built up for my son and these would be my notes on it: The headset is CRAP, plan on replacing it right away if you buy this bike...I did. The fork has a steel steerer tube and is VERY heavy...that said it may be better than an all AL fork in terms of shock absorption. The quality of the frame is pretty good otherwise.

If I was looking at those two bikes (and I was for my sone) I would go for the Gravity but plan on replacing the headset immediately. Also I hate paired spoke wheels...that is a negative for the Gravity. What about this one instead? https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../liberty_x.htm or this one https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../liberty_3.htm
Hey Grass, I've been looking at those bikes as well. Why would you opt for those bikes instead of the Comp X?
Old 03-28-12, 06:28 PM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are a copy of the 2011 defy, the 2012 has a square bottom tube and the top tube is more straight. The frame is slightly lighter too. I have a defy 2011, i could care less.
Old 03-28-12, 06:47 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RyKnocks
Hey Grass, I've been looking at those bikes as well. Why would you opt for those bikes instead of the Comp X?
Because the wheels are traditionally laced and they are cheaper. Personally I would go for the Apex bike.
Old 03-28-12, 10:25 PM
Palomar01
SpeedFreak

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champ Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2011 Giant Defy 3, which is similarly equipped to the 2012 Defy 5 but with a slightly different frame. I can tell you right away that the Gravity Comp X has superior components than the D5. If the frame is similar enough then I would say the Comp X is a better buy. The only thing that bike needs is to de-sticker the billboard sign wheels and chuck that horribly ugly seat for a better one (though it looks comfy).

The Defy 5 has very cheap components. Not bad and certainly adequate but it is nowhere near a Rival group. That FSA Tempo triple crank with its cartridge bearings is very soft and does not shift very well under moderate power (because it bends easily). The brakes suck & require new pads NOW! The seat looks good but is extremely hard and uncomfortable & heavy as hell! The seat tube is a 30.9mmx450 or something so it is suitable for a mountain bike and weighs about as much! The wheels are sturdy but are very heavy. It's a good frame, with good integrated head bearings but that's all it's got going for it. It is a heavy bike thanks to the cheap, heavy components. For $700 you are really just buying the frame and the name. There are better buys. The Defy aluminum frame deserves Tiagra or 105 component group as a minimum to get it to perform the way it should. Anything less and it's barely adequate if you ride a lot and ride hard.

You want maximum value with lots of performance? Get the Gravity Comp X.
Old 03-28-12, 10:38 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still rockin a 2009 Defy3 with Sora. The frame is great - no complaints, even with the alloy fork. It actually rides smoother than my harsher than all-getout carbon Cervelo, but that's more a comment on the Cervelo than the Giant.

THe Gravity will be a better deal due to the components being superior. Don't even bother worrying about the frame/fork in this price range, it won't substantively affect your ride.
Old 03-28-12, 11:51 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I mentioned the difference in material, etc. By copy, I meant that they attempted to emulate the Giant, not a twin/lookalike. I could have been clearer, and I am sure that there is fault in even this post should you wish to point it out. Reading about the Gravity brand via google search there are many references made about the similarities to the Giant Defy. I would imagine the same could be said for many bike which share close geometries.

Oh, yes, agree..headset and the BB are items that will need attention before long if not straight away, but at the same time, I have seen quite expensive machines need that and more. Corners have to be cut somewhere to come in at that price point, and in many cases the fine points of quality control can be very hit or miss.
Old 03-29-12, 01:35 PM
pweller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently went a similar route, buying a bike online through bikeshopwarehouse.com. It worked out well, as long as you are fairly handy. The only thing I can add to this is that you should be careful about doing upgrades, as all of these bikes are priced pretty inexpensively in relation to the cost of the individual components. So, if you think 'I'll buy this bike and then upgrade these 3 things' you might find it is cheaper just to buy a more expensive bike right from the start. It's hard, though, to predict the future (and therefore your future needs.)

I think bikesdirect has a scratch-and-dent site called bikeisland.com (I believe the two sites are related, but I'm not certain). Maybe you could save a few bucks that way as well.
Old 03-29-12, 02:24 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RyKnocks
Thank you as that is very informative. Did you by any chance get to ride the Gravity bikes that your friend's purchased? If so, how do you rate them from a beginner's standpoint?
OP, I owned and rode a Gravity Liberty 1 and just this past weekend built up a Liberty 3 frame (same thing) from Bike Island (related to BD somehow). I love the way these frames ride and look. I used a Tiagra 4600 theme (ders/cassette), Micorshift levers and FSA Omega compact crank.

As far as for a beginner, more than worthy. The frameset was $199 and worth it for my needs (hardcore weekend endurance rides and 5-day a week commuting).