Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

fine I admit it (a noob gets his wings)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 06:57 AM
RVARider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you told me I HAD to go clipless - I resisted - I like my sneakers.

Finally did it - hated it, felted trapped by the connection, didn't like the position over the balls of my feet, not having fun

Last night I was on a long ride and unclipped at a stop sign. When I continued, my feet automatically snapped in and I felt a feeling of relief to be clipped back in.

You were right - it is awesome
Old 08-28-15, 06:58 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I'll go against the grain, thought it's too late:

You don't HAVE to go clipless. You should ride however you want, and in the manner that makes you happy.

If you find that to be clipless, awesome. But don't ever feel pressured into something. This is supposed to be fun.

Old 08-28-15, 08:16 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Andy, however, most roadies will say that clipless pedals are more fun. Once you get past the initial weirdness, you start to realize all of the benefits. After that, you might even feel weird without them. Every time I ride my hybrid, I feel disconnected with the bike. That's usually OK for what I use that bike for, but it still feels strange. I couldn't go back to platforms on my road bike.
Old 08-28-15, 08:35 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVARider

Finally did it - hated it, felted trapped by the connection, didn't like the position over the balls of my feet, not having fun

Last night I was on a long ride and unclipped at a stop sign. When I continued, my feet automatically snapped in and I felt a feeling of relief to be clipped back in.

If you like them, great, but be aware they are not all that some crack them up to be:

The Shoes Ruse
Old 08-28-15, 08:45 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShortLegCyclist
If you like them, great, but be aware they are not all that some crack them up to be:

The Shoes Ruse
There are just as many fallacies in that opinion piece as there are in the wild claims about clipless, and even more smug self-satisfaction.
Old 08-28-15, 09:03 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My very first experience years ago with clipless was after riding probably far too long on soft soled sneakers. I had hot spots in my feet going into clipless and they persisted clipless. The pedals were some of the first SPD clones that came out in the 1990's. It all worked but nearly as well then as it did this time around when I got into stiff soled shoes after first month and clipless during second month. Never had anything remotely like a hot spot yet.
Old 08-28-15, 09:03 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Awesome? Dunno about that. They're O-K. I liked toe clips and straps just fine, too- but I tried clipless....they're O-K, and give the bike a "cleaner" look- so since I have them now, I'll continue to use 'em- but in the scheme of things, I think their main benefit seems to be to make one feel like an "official roadie"...
Old 08-28-15, 09:12 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts

And it would "awesomer" with a pro bike fitting that also accounts for your shoes, cleats (shimmed if necessary), and pedal stroke. Really.
Old 08-28-15, 09:16 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Shoes Ruse
uhhhh.......WOW
Old 08-28-15, 09:18 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uhhhh.......WOW
Rivendell is known for not following the beaten path. Their push for 650b for road and touring bikes is another example of that.
Old 08-28-15, 09:19 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Awesome? Dunno about that. They're O-K. I liked toe clips and straps just fine, too- but I tried clipless....they're O-K, and give the bike a "cleaner" look- so since I have them now, I'll continue to use 'em- but in the scheme of things, I think their main benefit seems to be to make one feel like an "official roadie"...
I find my pedal stroke is cleaner, I can pull up on the back swing if I need a burst for some reason, and my avg speed has gone up 1.5 miles an hour
Old 08-28-15, 09:21 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wish I would have listened and done it sooner as well. Can't ride without them now.
Old 08-28-15, 09:59 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Wait til you "clip out" of the accelerator in order to brake when driving...
Old 08-28-15, 10:10 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
Wait til you "clip out" of the accelerator in order to brake when driving...
funny you say that- after a long ride last weekend I went to the grocery store and just barely stopped myself from signalling a left turn into an aisle with my cart
Old 08-28-15, 10:24 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
you told me I HAD to go clipless - I resisted
Finally did it
There are some things that are just better, but you need to know when to stop.

BTW, a good place to stop is before you start shaving.
Old 08-28-15, 10:45 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I find my pedal stroke is cleaner, I can pull up on the back swing if I need a burst for some reason, and my avg speed has gone up 1.5 miles an hour
Believe me, that 1.5 MPH gain has nothing to do with going clipless. Even the staunchest clipless advocates would only claim a tenth of a MPH or so. You're just getting more efficient/stronger....
Old 08-28-15, 10:53 AM
cicatrize

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Shoes Ruse
That has to be the most ridiculous and unscientific piece I've ever seen written about clipless pedals. Like the OP, I can't find another reason why after going clipless, my average speed jumped ~1.5 mph on my rides. For riding the flats or descending, I do notice that I don't really make much use out of being attached, but on climbs, you bet your ass I do. It's not all about the upward stroke. Yes, that's possible, but it's more about the forward movement of the leg along with downward movement. I can get much more efficiency from my muscles when I can push down and forward during a climb. Toe clips also work for this, so an argument can be made about the lack of necessity for clipless, but to ride a road bike with any sort of concern for speed, platforms just don't cut it.

What I'd like to see: A study done with professionals on a closed segment with flats, descents, and climbs, using toe clips and then clipless pedals.
Old 08-28-15, 10:57 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Some things, you just have to learn for yourself. I was a little nervous for my first time in them. I even forgot to clip out on my first group ride and fell right in front of about 10 people. 2 weeks later I did it again at a stop light. I gave people a good laugh and moved on. I much prefer to rider with them. In fact, I see no reason to ride without them again.
I ride my mtb without them though. I have been riding with my 8 yr old and he simply falls too often so I feel more comfortable without them. I have to get off fast to get him off the track and I do not want to run him over.
Old 08-28-15, 11:04 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
There are some things that are just better, but you need to know when to stop.

BTW, a good place to stop is before you start shaving.
I have NO idea what this means
Old 08-28-15, 11:24 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuffleman
Some things, you just have to learn for yourself. I was a little nervous for my first time in them. I even forgot to clip out on my first group ride and fell right in front of about 10 people. 2 weeks later I did it again at a stop light. I gave people a good laugh and moved on. I much prefer to rider with them. In fact, I see no reason to ride without them again.
I ride my mtb without them though. I have been riding with my 8 yr old and he simply falls too often so I feel more comfortable without them. I have to get off fast to get him off the track and I do not want to run him over.
My first accident clipless I stopped on a side sloping hill at a red light, cleated out of the wrong side because I wanted to lean uphill at the stop, and fell over downhill INTO three other cyclists (this was an event ride in Baltimore about 20 years ago so the only vehicles on the road were bikes). Nobody got a good laugh out of that but fortunately I was the only one hurt (chainring scar still visible on my right calf).

I no longer use clipless on city/commuting rides, only if I'm on back roads where I'll be able to go more than 2 city blocks without having to cleat out.
Old 08-28-15, 11:26 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I have NO idea what this means
He means that he thinks you shouldn't shave your legs.

If you want to, shave away. If not, don't. Just like the pedals, do what helps you enjoy riding your bike.

Old 08-28-15, 01:20 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
He means that he thinks you shouldn't shave your legs.
He has never drafted a chewbaca evidently.
Old 08-28-15, 01:49 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

The Shoes Ruse
Link to an article written by a guy who rides in sandals and Crocs...

Of course he can come up with reasons they are crap.
Old 08-28-15, 02:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
If the main benefit of clipless were appearance then pro teams wouldn't be using them. They are in the business of winning races and looks are secondary. What anyone has on the bottom of their feet certainly isn't there for looks but because there is a competitive advantage.

-Tim-
Old 08-28-15, 02:30 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts

The Shoes Ruse
Is that you, Alenbikehouston?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.