Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Big hole in top tube of new bike (Pics attached) aluminum repair with carbon fiber

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Big hole in top tube of new bike (Pics attached) aluminum repair with carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 11:18 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowlab
I understand the thread at this point is large enough to deter people from wanting to read the whole thing, I probably wouldn't have so I don't blame you, but.......had you read the rest of the thread before posting here you'd understand that your sentiment is akin to
You're right, I had not read the whole thread. Sorry to be repetitively redundant.
Old 11-25-20, 06:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
You need to pay more attention to the swing on your machine.
Old 11-26-20, 12:48 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by stevoo
I will pass on making comments on the repair as I think that has been covered well enough.
However, it is Impressive that after sustaining that kind of damage the frame is still straight and rides well?
Not sure if the OP performed any frame alignment checks but I don't recall reading in the thread that they noticed any changes in ride or handling. Amazing.
I once hit a bike top tube w a car and it was bent and not rideable.
I found a way to measure if or how much the top tube is bent. I simply took a string and looped it around the seat post and head tube above the top tube. It seems the top tube is in fact ever so slightly bowed toward the right side of the bike (opposite side that was hit which makes sense) but it was hard to capture in the pics. (Also, I think this may be deceiving, more on that down below) It was even kind of hard to tell in person but it is there. You can most easily spot it when you slide the string down the top tube and as both sides of the string move down, the right side makes contact with the top tube and is pushed out slightly more than the other side. I think it's minor enough, and the bike rides perfectly well that it will probably be inconsequential for the future of riding it but also........

The part I think is deceiving is that the second treatment of carbon fiber wasn't a long strip that got wrapped around three times. It was three seperate sheets that each got wrapped around once and the area on the side of the bike that appears to be slightly bowed out is exactly where those three layers all overlapped eachother so there was definitely more material on that side that I may have just not sanded down enough to match the other side.

Regardless, here are a few of the pics.

Setup:

See the the right side of the top tube (left side in the pic) slightly peeks out under the string a bit more.

Top down:

Last edited by Yellowlab; 11-26-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-29-20, 07:15 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Yellowlab,

Regarding testing: The greatest stress on the top tube is a) in torsion while climbing with hard opposite pull on the handlbars, and b) vertical bending loads into the frame from a pothole/curb/jump at high speed, which would load the top tube in compression, and it has sufficient "slenderness ratio" (actual engineering term) to buckle. And further, buckling failure is a function of stiffness, not strength. Failure (a) will probably give warning signs in terms of inspection, you'll see signs of delamination. Failure (b), unfortunately, will not; Buckling failures are by their nature "catastrophic" (another engineering term), which means the start of failure weakens the tube which then makes it proceed further to failure. The same load on the tube in tension will do no such thing, it's much stronger in tension. This is just FYI, but I think you'll be OK. Clearcoat is smart. Plus it looks cool.
Old 02-17-23, 09:21 PM
Aerzon

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 4.0, Panasonic DX1000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Can we get an update on this bike, OP? I can't imagine much bad happened to it being a trainer bike, but I'm still a bit curious.
Likes For Aerzon:
Old 02-19-23, 02:07 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowlab
Hi reconnaissance, thank you for the feedback. I was backing the tractor into the shed and looking behind me to do so. When I cut the wheel slightly to adjust, the bucket which sits way out in front swung over enough that the tooth of the bucket was able to do this damage. Normally the bike is hanging on a rack out of reach so it usually isn't a concern. One of those situations where I forgot to hang the bike and the bucket was just at the exact right height and everything came together just right. Not my finest moment for sure.

Appreciate the comment regarding apparent garage logic, I would like to think you are right but my ego isn't such that I wouldn't get a second opinion which is why I'm posting here; to get the opinion of folks like yourself. Also, this bike will primarily be used as trainer bike during the winters on Zwift. I suppose I should have mentioned that in the OP. I have other bikes that I ride on the road so this one is likely to see very little if any real riding.

Thanks again,
Cliff
aw, that's nuthin'.. i watched a newbie "mechanic" swing an excavator bucket right Through The Wall of a shop once... he didn't get a chance to do that ever again in that shop. ;-D

Last edited by maddog34; 02-19-23 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-19-23, 02:48 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Thanks for sharing and very interesting way of repairing