Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

u did what on super bowl ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

u did what on super bowl ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 09:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I usually ride during the Super Bowl, but I just had minor surgery a few days back and am off the bike by doctor's orders. (I don't usually follow such requests, but he asked nicely.) Instead, I went for a twenty mile walk in Briones, an expansive bit of open space in the (L)East Bay. It was wonderful, with sunset mists on the ridge and beautiful views of Mt. Diablo, the Martinez Bridge and the windmills out at Patterson Pass (I think). We explored some trails my wife and I hadn't been on before and particularly enjoyed the wonderful view of the city/suburban lights after sunset, although it was a bit difficult walking downhill on the slightly muddy trails when we were under trees.

At some point on the way home, the signal that the game had ended came upon the breeze. (Sirens responding to drunk driver landings)

I love football. I have no interest in playing it or watching it, but I love the hours of low volume traffic it causes. I wish there were more games per year.
Old 02-05-14, 09:36 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Not much, really. I did a fairly difficult ride on Saturday (66 miles, 8,000 feet of climbing) https://www.strava.com/activities/110514453

Not too smart since I was still recovering from a pretty bad cold, but hey, it was a good ride!

So Sunday we just slept in, didn't set an alarm at all . . . ate a big lazy breakfast, then did chores around the house for the rest of the day.

We didn't even turn the TV on. I didn't know what teams were playing. I am so non football/baseball/basketball/hockey/soccer fan.

But it was a good recovery day, recovering both from my cold and from the Saturday's ride.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-05-14, 09:47 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Did your working colleagues REALLY discuss how much they ate? And how much they drank? And (most incredibly) how sick they got? This story sounds a bit concocted, possibly to show off some imagined Oregonian moral superiority. (By the way, if you check the threads from Feb 2012, you will find a similar post, in which everyone fell over themselves distancing themselves from the crassness of American football. One poster proudly attended a performance of Les Miserables [must have finally arrived in his town after opening on Broadway in 1987] and one even avowed he had watched Downton Abbey instead!) As the Dudel pointed out at the time, there is no inherent conflict between enjoying football and riding a bicycle.
Old 02-05-14, 09:49 PM
acdronin
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I usually ride during the Super Bowl, but I just had minor surgery a few days back and am off the bike by doctor's orders. (I don't usually follow such requests, but he asked nicely.) Instead, I went for a twenty mile walk in Briones, an expansive bit of open space in the (L)East Bay. It was wonderful, with sunset mists on the ridge and beautiful views of Mt. Diablo, the Martinez Bridge and the windmills out at Patterson Pass (I think). We explored some trails my wife and I hadn't been on before and particularly enjoyed the wonderful view of the city/suburban lights after sunset, although it was a bit difficult walking downhill on the slightly muddy trails when we were under trees.

At some point on the way home, the signal that the game had ended came upon the breeze. (Sirens responding to drunk driver landings)

I love football. I have no interest in playing it or watching it, but I love the hours of low volume traffic it causes. I wish there were more games per year.
I was slogging my way up that mountain probably at the same time you were looking at it.
Old 02-05-14, 11:16 PM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my absentmindedness, I damn near went on a century ride Sunday, but my cousin called me early Sunday morning and reminded me that it was Super Bowl Sunday and asked if I was still coming over for the game. I had entirely forgotten about the Super Bowl even though I had been looking forward to it. Regrettably however, by halftime I realized I should have gone on my century ride, as that was the worst Super Bowl I ever watched; an outright slaughter.
Old 02-06-14, 06:20 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Yeah. I spent the Super Bowl time watching the Super Bowl, reliving the gone-by era when Doug Williams and Co. tossed up 35 points against the Broncos in one quarter.

I had ridden my 2 hour EM earlier in the day, so I got to bask in my moral superiority.

Old 02-06-14, 07:47 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
My neighbor said he was heading out to watch the Superbowl. I thought, "better you than me". I went for a short 10 mile ride then started a fire in the backyard.

"Oregonian moral superiority" <<< I like this, from post #28 .

Last edited by sknhgy; 02-06-14 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-06-14, 08:08 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by acdronin
I was slogging my way up that mountain probably at the same time you were looking at it.
Did you see the snow?
Old 02-06-14, 08:11 AM
cargoearth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran a foot race that takes place every year in Sundance Wyoming called the " Freeze your Fanny 4 miler" and it was a typical Wyoming wintery day, a freeze your fanny day. But always allot of fun with a great breakfast served afterwards.
Old 02-06-14, 08:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
"Get Out Of The House And Give Me Space...

...to clean up and prepare for the guests", said my wife after we had prepared for the SuperBowl party that we were to host that evening.

After church, we did the basic set up, laid out the buffet and got pot of chilli cooking. Then she told me to get lost so that she could do the final clean up without me in the way.

Had a 90-minute fixed gear ride around a 20-mile loop that has a bit of hills and some road and MUP riding. It was terrific.

The party was fun, because we had mostly non-football types, and had each guest fill out prediction cards (coin toss, over under, 4-th down conversions, etc.) to win FABULOUS prizes we had picked up at local discount stores. Every one had a good time.

I also played ping pong with a neighbor from Sri Lanka, who had been a women's national competitor when she was school aged. She was rusty but had at one time all of the shots. Pretty fun.

PG
Old 02-06-14, 10:58 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being on the east coast, I was able to get in 35 miles in the morning, long before game-time. I love football, and usually watch every Super Bowl every year, even if neither of "my teams" is playing; however, this year, I had date with a very, very, very hot woman right at game time. So, on that evening, I couldn't have cared less about the Super Bowl.

Last edited by WC89; 02-06-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-06-14, 01:12 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 948 Posts
Watched a little golf. Then went for a short hike. I can take or leave football. Usually leave it. Although a few years ago the NFL Cheerleaders had a competition. Watched that on TV.
Old 02-06-14, 01:56 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Spent the weekend at the villa in Mount Vernon, WA. Went on a 112-km ride on the fixie with the Seattle Randos on Saturday along a beautiful route on back roads somewhere between Seattle & Mount Vernon. On Sunday, we drove to Snohomish again, parked the car, and I rode with my wife to Lynnwood (31 km away) to listen to an opera lecture, then rode back. Got back to Mount Vernon as the game was ending. We don't have cable at the place, but we could pretty well guess the outcome by all the fireworks going off around Big Lake. I tethered my netbook to my wife's smartphone & got the results, but the highlights weren't downloading, probably too much internet traffic around Seattle.

All in all, a nice, relaxing weekend!

Luis
Old 02-06-14, 03:26 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Did your working colleagues REALLY discuss how much they ate? And how much they drank? And (most incredibly) how sick they got? This story sounds a bit concocted, possibly to show off some imagined Oregonian moral superiority. (By the way, if you check the threads from Feb 2012, you will find a similar post, in which everyone fell over themselves distancing themselves from the crassness of American football. One poster proudly attended a performance of Les Miserables [must have finally arrived in his town after opening on Broadway in 1987] and one even avowed he had watched Downton Abbey instead!) As the Dudel pointed out at the time, there is no inherent conflict between enjoying football and riding a bicycle.
Agreed. But at my house, Downton Abbey got DVR'd, as did, and much more importantly, Sherlock.
Old 02-06-14, 03:56 PM
Cycle Babble

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I....uhm....watched some football.
Old 02-06-14, 04:40 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I was in Edmonton for work. Watched the first half and was convinced of a victor so went out for a bowl of pho.
Old 02-06-14, 06:11 PM
travelerman

Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Agreed. But at my house, Downton Abbey got DVR'd, as did, and much more importantly, Sherlock.
Winter continued its icy grip here in the Midwest, so riding was out of the question. Did some ab-work in the morning, made an appearance at a pre-game party in the afternoon, and nearly got stuck on a couple of winding and hilly Ozarks roads covered with a surprise wet blanket of snow.

Got home in time to prepare a meal for family, followed by bananas foster, just in time for the final Sherlock of its short third season. Can't wait for season four...

(tuned in to the game at the start of he third quarter, just for grits and shins, saw the opening kickoff returned by Seattle for a touchdown, then switched back to PBS. It was the most football I had watched all season.)
Old 02-06-14, 08:42 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by travelerman
It was the most football I had watched all season.)
You must be a Browns fan, like me and my wife.
Old 02-06-14, 11:28 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.... I like football, even though I don't watch many games.

On Superbowl Sunday, I recorded the game to watch later, then took the mountain bike out for an 11 mile hilly afternoon ride. Around here, all rides start uphill, so the first 5.5 miles was all climbing. The downhill makes for an interesting ride depending on the amount of braking.

As for the game, loved it!! Living in the northwest I was rooting for the Seahawks. Really happy to see how effective the team was in shutting down the Broncos. Go HAWKS!!
Old 02-07-14, 07:03 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Went out to eat, game was on but couldn't see it from where I was seated. Got home at half time, watched two episodes of Downton Abbey. Saw the last few seconds of the game, glad about results but fan of neither team.