Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bikes on a budget

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Road bikes on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 05:07 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorrister
Figured id update y’all on the outcome of this story. I found this on Facebook marketplace for $200
probably around 10 years old would you say? Ultegra groupset, factory tires are still fresh
Bar tape is gross. Just needs a setup and some tape

that's a beaut. You may end up wearing that old rubber quickly or find you get flats, but I would try them first as well.
Enjoy!
Old 08-31-19, 11:10 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 226 Posts
Good find!!
Old 08-31-19, 08:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Claris Gruppo.
Oxymoron.

I am not ripping on the level of drivetrain, only saying those two words dont belong together.
Old 09-01-19, 04:27 AM
Gorrister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I finally had a chance to take her out for her first real ride yesterday hoping to suss out any hidden issues. After 30 fun miles, the verdict: she needs new tires and a new left crank arm. And DAMN what a ride! I love my old miyata, but this bike zips! Very stiff, I can really feel the power through the pedals, and the 9 speed cassette makes the “get up and go” and ascending so much more efficient. The crank arm issue was a surprise, but for a used 10 year old bicycle the thing felt amazing, obviously stored indoors and never ridden. I can’t wait to get my clipless mtb pedals on there and really fly.
Old 09-01-19, 06:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I finally had a chance to take her out for her first real ride yesterday hoping to suss out any hidden issues. After 30 fun miles, the verdict: she needs new tires and a new left crank arm..
Be aware these come in different lengths.

What's wrong with it?
Old 09-01-19, 06:31 AM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by dedhed
Be aware these come in different lengths.

What's wrong with it?
Yeah, I’m gonna be super sure I get a match. I have a couple friends who work at bike shops so it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. The bozo I bought the bike from (jk, he was a nice guy, even gave me a bag of homegrown jersey tomatoes) installed platform pedals and cross threaded that one, which I found out after 30 miles when the damn thing pretty much just fell out of the crank. As soon as I found that out I carefully removed the other pedal and thankfully that side is good.

ps: I love the dead!
Old 09-01-19, 06:36 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
A well equipped shop can insert a helicoil to repair that, usually cheaper than a new/used arm.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-kit-procedure
Old 09-01-19, 06:49 AM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by dedhed
A well equipped shop can insert a helicoil to repair that, usually cheaper than a new/used arm.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-kit-procedure
Funny that you mention that! I use helicoils at my studio to retap stripped drum hardware (much smaller size), I was literally just asking my LBS buddy if that was a possibility for the crank.
Old 09-01-19, 06:51 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
The above advice about "buyer beware" on Craigslist is accurate, but there are also lots of perfectly good, low-miles bikes on there, often at good prices. My current road bike was only a few years old, a 56cm Fuji, original tires,chain and cassette still good, with Shimano 105, that retailed for $1200, that I snagged on Craigslist early last summer, for $350!
Obviously, it helps if you have enough knowledge to know what to look for, but the used market is full of good bikes that the owner bought, barely rode, then parked in the garage for a couple years. The Bikes Direct route is fine, but personally, I'd first have my cash in-hand, and be ready to pounce on a Craigslist deal (and I've noticed the better deals get scarfed pretty quick, so don't waffle around when you spot a good one.)
Old 09-01-19, 06:57 AM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by Brocephus
The above advice about "buyer beware" on Craigslist is accurate, but there are also lots of perfectly good, low-miles bikes on there, often at good prices. My current road bike was only a few years old, a 56cm Fuji, original tires,chain and cassette still good, with Shimano 105, that retailed for $1200, that I snagged on Craigslist early last summer, for $350!
Obviously, it helps if you have enough knowledge to know what to look for, but the used market is full of good bikes that the owner bought, barely rode, then parked in the garage for a couple years. The Bikes Direct route is fine, but personally, I'd first have my cash in-hand, and be ready to pounce on a Craigslist deal (and I've noticed the better deals get scarfed pretty quick, so don't waffle around when you spot a good one.)
That’s exactly what I did, good advice! I was able to find a barely ridden garage stored specialized allez expert with Ultegra groupset on Facebook marketplace for $200, checked it out right away and it was exactly what I was looking for
Old 09-01-19, 07:17 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
That’s exactly what I did, good advice! I was able to find a barely ridden garage stored specialized allez expert with Ultegra groupset on Facebook marketplace for $200, checked it out right away and it was exactly what I was looking for
Killer score ! Beats the hell outa my deal !
Old 09-01-19, 08:03 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Looks like a nice bike. And the fixes shouldn't be too much. Tires and bar tape are wear items, anyway. And replacing the pedals shouldn't be that expensive.

Good find!
Old 09-01-19, 08:07 AM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by guachi
Looks like a nice bike. And the fixes shouldn't be too much. Tires and bar tape are wear items, anyway. And replacing the pedals shouldn't be that expensive.

Good find!
Thank you! My buddy quoted me $35 to retap the crank with a helicoil. So all I need are some mtb shoes to go with my double sided clipless pedals and she will be complete 😎
Old 09-01-19, 09:10 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Nope, dont buy it. 105 has a paddle plus brake lever. Tourney has a thumb button.
That alone makes for a totally different feel.
I agree but for very different reasons. Forget the shift levers, there is a distinct difference in the derailer mechanisms. The Tourney has a soft hanger that bends easily and the pivot points are very sloppy. Index shifting requires precise movement and positioning of the derailer and Tourney simply can’t do that well. I spend a lot of time trying to straighten Tourneys on HelMart bikes at my local co-op. I can get them to work but it takes a lot of effort and they never work that well. Even Acera or Claris are far better derailers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-01-19, 09:11 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Thanks! I was leaning towards bikesdirect but don’t have any background on the experience. I do my own setups anyway so the mail order thing isn’t a huge deal. What about sizing? I’m 5’9” so I’m thinking a 56cm frame? Does anyone my size have experience with a smaller size ie 53-54cm?
I would base your sizing decision on the measurements of your old bike and how well (or not) it fits.

I’m 5’10”, and my best fit always ends up being on frames no bigger than 50 (my Soma Fog Cutter is a 48). I am clearly an outlier, but it happens. I spent many years, and several bikes, that were too big (long) for me until I figured this out.

Regarding BD: My wife had a CF Windsor a while back. It was a fine bike, but you really need to go over the build on these bikes as the assembly can be lacking. Both of the wheels had bearings that wear too tightly pre-loaded, and the cable/housing was sloppy.

And while they are a good value for the money, they are not as spectacular as they lead you to believe. They cut corners where it is less obvious..

But still, if you can wrench your own stuff, they can work out great.

EDIT: sorry, I see you’ve already gotten a bike. Guess I should’ve read the thread before responding.
Old 09-01-19, 09:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I agree but for very different reasons. Forget the shift levers, there is a distinct difference in the derailer mechanisms. The Tourney has a soft hanger that bends easily and the pivot points are very sloppy. Index shifting requires precise movement and positioning of the derailer and Tourney simply can’t do that well. I spend a lot of time trying to straighten Tourneys on HelMart bikes at my local co-op. I can get them to work but it takes a lot of effort and they never work that well. Even Acera or Claris are far better derailers.
That's true enough, but I've had Tourney derailleurs that lasted pretty well and were never a problem for shifting, so that's a little over-stated IME. For the small price difference I wouldn't choose Tourney for a replacement however.
Old 09-01-19, 09:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's true enough, but I've had Tourney derailleurs that lasted pretty well and were never a problem for shifting, so that's a little over-stated IME. For the small price difference I wouldn't choose Tourney for a replacement however.
Perhaps older ones were a bit better but ones made within the last 3 to 5 years are universally poorly made...but that is true for all HelMart bikes. I see a lot of Tourneys that will move up and down in a perpendicular motion 2 to 3mm around the parallelogram pivots. Derailers don’t usually move in the direction at all.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-01-19, 09:48 AM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I would base your sizing decision on the measurements of your old bike and how well (or not) it fits.

I’m 5’10”, and my best fit always ends up being on frames no bigger than 50 (my Soma Fog Cutter is a 48). I am clearly an outlier, but it happens. I spent many years, and several bikes, that were too big (long) for me until I figured this out.

Regarding BD: My wife had a CF Windsor a while back. It was a fine bike, but you really need to go over the build on these bikes as the assembly can be lacking. Both of the wheels had bearings that wear too tightly pre-loaded, and the cable/housing was sloppy.

And while they are a good value for the money, they are not as spectacular as they lead you to believe. They cut corners where it is less obvious..

But still, if you can wrench your own stuff, they can work out great.

EDIT: sorry, I see you’ve already gotten a bike. Guess I should’ve read the thread before responding.
No worries, the advice is still very much appreciated! Of course I’ll hopefully get years of enjoyment out of my new bike, but it certainly won’t be the last one I ever buy, so it’s good to have perspective on the BD route
Old 09-01-19, 09:56 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Perhaps older ones were a bit better but ones made within the last 3 to 5 years are universally poorly made...but that is true for all HelMart bikes. I see a lot of Tourneys that will move up and down in a perpendicular motion 2 to 3mm around the parallelogram pivots. Derailers don’t usually move in the direction at all.
Speaking again for myself, I haven't bought a Tourney DR in over 5 years so I couldn't argue that and for $25 Tourney and $30 Claris I couldn't see much reason to cheap out so it may be kind of mute. It just wouldn't be a deal-killer for me on a used bike or inexpensive BD bike.

BTW congrats to OP on his Ultegra bike!