Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020 Deals Discussion Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 09:42 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

I know this has been done before, but it's a new year and I'm starting a new one. Hope that's okay.
Only guidance is to post any killer deals you have come across that are timely and related to road bike riding. Let's go!!

I'll start. The poc Omne Air SPIN helmet is on closeout at a few places at about $100 off its usual price of around $150. One place offering a deal is Competitve Cyclist: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/poc-omne-air-spin-helmet?skid=POC00DJ-HYDWHMAT-L&CMP_SKU=POC00DJ&MER=0406&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=6F15C39D-DE54-E911-8101-0050569428E8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=264518532904&mr:keyword=&mr:matc h=&mr:tid=aud-540816165815la-443254183178&mrloc=9061082&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=443254183178&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&CSPID=0914& utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=_k_CjwKCAiAsIDxBRAsEiwAV76N8w6_JNryS5r7vNybO2DRvFXLeeUwQJ TxvXEFW1RmX-5dZiBY8lFuoRoCZiQQAvD_BwE_k_&gclid=CjwKCAiAsIDxBRAsEiwAV76N8w6_JNryS5r7vNybO2DRvFXLeeUwQJTxvXEFW1RmX-5dZiBY8lFuoRoCZiQQAvD_BwE
Old 01-16-20, 10:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I noticed that sale price on the POC Omne Air Spin after I paid full price back in the summer. Good helmet. Mainly a commuter type helmet but with outstanding ventilation, so it's a better buy than Nutcase or Bern for some climates. The helmet is fairly thick and sits lower than my Bell, so there's a bit of overhang above the brow that's visible in my peripheral vision. Other owners have noted that as well. But it should offer very good protection (as bike helmets go - basically beer coolers).

Cosmetically, it doesn't have the mushroom head look of the Ventral and Octal, or the hipster look of a typical Bern or Nutcase. It's a bit more conventional overall but with a unique vent design.

The Omne Air Spin seems to run a little large. My head measures 59cm, right on the margin between medium and large. I got the large and it does run slightly larger on my bare head than I'd like, but leaves room for a bandanna in summer or knit cap in winter, so it fits fine with those. If I got another strictly for summer use I'd get a medium.

The ventilation is outstanding. It scoops in air aggressively, much better than my Bell helmets. It was so comfortable I wore the POC often on my road bike last summer, even though I got the POC for my more upright hybrids for casual rides and errands.

The overhanging brow was an issue only when I use the aero bars outside, and when I'm in the drops I need to crane my head up a bit more than is comfortable. So I wouldn't recommend the Omne Air Spin for most roadies.

Also the strap harness lacks the adjustability for length common to most helmets. The Y-junction clasp below the ear can be swung forward or backward a bit, but it can't be lengthened or shortened. I suppose POC wanted to be sure uses didn't move the Y-junction clasp down below the jawline, which I've seen some cyclists do with other helmets. The strap length can be adjusted normally to fit below the jaw to avoid neck discomfort.

The outer polycarbonate shell appears very sturdy. But there is no polycarbonate shell covering the EPS foam on the underside of the helmet. That's one cost cutting compromise. And POC warns that the dyes they use to color the polycarbonate shells are chosen to be safer, so they may fade with time in the sun.

The SPIN system, POC's alternative to MIPS, is much simpler than MIPS. The skull harness is more flexible and comfortable, and the dial nestles into the hollow between the base of my skull and top of the neck. But the harness inside the helmet liner is much simpler, which may aid ventilation. POC relies on a few gel foam type pads to provide protection similar to MIPS. The helmet feels like it can pivot freely without dislodging the skull harness, so presumably it will do the same thing as MIPS. But I hope I never find out. Had my collision in 2018, that's enough, thanks.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-16-20 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-17-20, 06:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The Hot Deals thread is a stickied thread, it never drops off of the first page and never gets lost. Moreover, hundreds of past participants also look for it to pop up in their subscription feed with new deals. Starting a new, non-stickied thread has no benefit that I can see and cuts off continuity.
Likes For WhyFi: