Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Max Tire Pressure Label (700 x 32)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Max Tire Pressure Label (700 x 32)

Old 12-30-19, 04:17 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbill2
I'm 160 as well, so I'll see what 70lbs psi does coming off my 80lbs with the 85lbs psi max. I know that at 80lbs psi riding on a wet pavement I can see only a very small wet imprint on the front tire, which means a small tire contact patch with the pavement.
80->70 psi, 12.5% larger contact patch.
Old 12-30-19, 04:37 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
This whole thread is a roller coaster of misinformation and bickering. Top stuff, lads.

Here's what HED recommends for their wider rims (like OP's):

Old 12-30-19, 04:43 PM
asgelle

Originally Posted by Cypress
This whole thread is a roller coaster of misinformation and bickering. Top stuff, lads.

Since you're so worried about misinformation, perhaps you could explain why two tires labeled 25mm but one measuring 25 mm and the other 28 mm should use the same pressure.
Old 12-30-19, 04:46 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by asgelle
Since you're so worried about misinformation, perhaps you could explain why two tires labeled 25mm but one measuring 25 mm and the other 28 mm should use the same pressure.
Are you assuming I am somehow responsible for labeling pressure ratings on different tires, or are you just strawmanning in order to sound "correct" about something?
Old 12-30-19, 04:49 PM
asgelle

Are you assuming I am somehow responsible for labeling pressure ratings on different tires, or are you just strawmanning in order to sound "correct" about something?
I'm a) wondering why you chose to post that plot, b) warning readers that it is useless since the x-axis uses a nonsensical metric, and c) pointing out the hypocrisy of your writing about misinformation in this thread and then posting that very thing yourself.
Old 12-30-19, 04:51 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by asgelle
I'm a) wondering why you chose to post that plot, b) warning readers that it is useless since the x-axis uses a nonsensical metric, and c) pointing out the hypocrisy of your writing about misinformation in this thread and then posting that very thing yourself.
Man, you really have a bone to pick today.

Keep going. Your colors are starting to show.
Old 12-30-19, 06:16 PM
Anna_Sazzi
Extinct

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

So this charts out what their rims can withstand? They seem pretty weak.
Old 12-30-19, 06:30 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by Anna_Sazzi
So this charts out what their rims can withstand? They seem pretty weak.
I'm not sure how you made that leap, but here is the wording directly from HED:

The maximum pressure you should ever need to use on any Hed Plus or BLACK rim is 90 psi (6.2 bar) – even with a narrow 23mm tire. It’s true! We’re not kidding!

That’s not because 100 psi is dangerous for our rim, but because the ideal range is 65-80 psi for a 77kg (170lb) athlete. As a point of reference, the old school method said that higher pressure was always better, with many athletes using 120 psi or more for a 23mm tire.
Old 12-30-19, 06:56 PM
drbarney1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I had a tire split from too much pressure. I pay attention now when I inflate a tire.
Old 12-30-19, 07:35 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts

Translation: If you are 175 lbs you should run 72 psi in a 23 mm and 62 psi in a 28 mm ... All of a sudden I understand the fear of pinch flatting ... :-)

What are these guys afraid of? Blowing up the rim or blowing the tyre off of the rim?

Lets just say the most other charts seem to recommend much higher pressure. Then again you should not exceed whatever it says in the tyre itself.
Old 12-30-19, 07:48 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Translation: If you are 175 lbs you should run 72 psi in a 23 mm and 62 psi in a 28 mm ... All of a sudden I understand the fear of pinch flatting ... :-)

What are these guys afraid of? Blowing up the rim or blowing the tyre off of the rim?

Lets just say the most other charts seem to recommend much higher pressure. Then again you should not exceed whatever it says in the tyre itself.
And I'm sure other charts aren't specific to wider rim widths. Are you running wide rims? If you are, you have nothing to fear at 72 psi. If you're running older narrow rims, 72 psi would definitely be too low.

I'm 164 and run a 25c tubed GP5K at 68F/71R on my HED Ardennes Plus Black Edition wheels with a 21mm internal width. I haven't pinch flatted in nearly 6 years of riding wide rims. The only time I run them above 75 is if I know I'll be spending significant time on gravel roads, racing on the glass-smooth blacktop of Portland International Raceway, or am going to gun a gravel KOM at mach cheese.
Old 12-30-19, 08:27 PM
Racing Dan

I have no idea what constitutes "a wider rim" but the claims sure sound like kool aid. 62 psi in a 28 mm is decidedly soft. I cant imagine its all of sudden not soft because you widen the rim a few mm. Why would you even go there and add a bunch of rolling resistance.

if you are 164 why deviate from the recommended 67 psi. Afraid of a pinch flat? ;-)
Old 12-30-19, 08:44 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I have no idea what constitutes "a wider rim" but the claims sure sound like kool aid. 62 psi in a 28 mm is decidedly soft. I cant imagine its all of sudden not soft because you widen the rim a few mm. Why would you even go there and add a bunch of rolling resistance.
Why not test ride a bike(like the OP has) with 21mm inner width hoops, and 28mm road race/training tires? You would see how rim width makes a difference.

BTW, there isn't a huge increase in rolling resistance.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-30-19, 08:47 PM
Anna_Sazzi
Extinct

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Maybe there are some other charts out there that show very different results? 72psi for a 23mm tire seems like a foreign concept.
Old 12-30-19, 08:53 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Anna_Sazzi
Maybe there are some other charts out there that show very different results? 72psi for a 23mm tire seems like a foreign concept.
Most of the old charts don't take the wider rim/tubeless setup into account when they give inflation recommendations.

72psi on and old 14mm inner width hoop(with a tube), isn't going to work for most people that weigh more than a fart.
Old 12-30-19, 09:13 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Most of the old charts don't take the wider rim/tubeless setup into account when they give inflation recommendations.

72psi on and old 14mm inner width hoop(with a tube), isn't going to work for most people that weigh more than a fart.
But even Enve would put the 23mm at about 80-95psi for that weight range for their more modern 3.4s
I think all that anyone wants is some sorta data to support these pressures as being a good idea.
Old 12-30-19, 09:19 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
But even Enve would put the 23mm at about 80-95psi for that weight range for their more modern 3.4s
I think all that anyone wants is some sorta data to support these pressures as being a good idea.
80-95psi is a wide range for a recommended inflation. Does is state whether this is with or without tubes?

I'm not gonna try to explain their train of thought, but I'm sure if you read the article, it will explain everything you need to know.
Old 12-30-19, 09:24 PM
Cypress

if you are 164 why deviate from the recommended 67 psi. Afraid of a pinch flat? ;-)
If you have no idea what a wide rim is, then you can't really have an informed opinion for this thread. Thinking a wider tire has more rolling resistance is actually the opposite of what is true. Widening the rim creates a much larger volume for the tube to expand into. Larger volume = less pressure required.

I'm not deviating at all, as a range is implied from the graph. 67 is a nice smooth ride, but I found that 68/71 behaved better in the corners.
Old 12-30-19, 09:32 PM
noodle soup

If you have no idea what a wide rim is, then you can't really have an informed opinion for this thread.
I didn't want to be the one to say it,

Thanks

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-30-19, 09:33 PM
Racing Dan

Informed opinion? Thats rich! :-)

You and NS are the ones making unusual claims, regurgitating the HED blurb and then ask others to do the homework to back it up.
Old 12-30-19, 09:38 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
OK, now the OP has learned by the many posts from our members that a lot of us don't read the OP before responding to it.

With that settled, the OP simply for his information should just be advised that the tire (specific tire, brand, model, and year) he asks about is the lowest price road bike tire Bontrager makes. (It is still a fine and economically low price tire.) But if he is also looking for a Bontrager higher-performing clincher tire then Trek/Bontrager offer's him at least four or five other tire choices. (All of which at the same size as his current tire offer higher but not the same pressures that are on his current tire. That's because their pressure ranges are specific to them, just like the OP's tire pressure range is specific to it!)
Old 12-30-19, 09:46 PM
noodle soup

Informed opinion? Thats rich! :-)

You and NS are the ones making unusual claims.
Au contraire.

Most everyone here, with experience riding 32mm modern road racing/training tires(on wider hoops), is giving a similar recommendation.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-30-19, 09:48 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by BengalCat
OK, now the OP has learned by the many posts from our members that a lot of us don't read the OP before responding to it.

With that settled, the OP simply for his information should just be advised that the tire (specific tire, brand, model, and year) he asks about is the lowest price road bike tire Bontrager makes. (It is still a fine and economically low price tire.) But if he is also looking for a Bontrager higher-performing clincher tire then Trek/Bontrager offer's him at least four or five other tire choices. (All of which at the same size as his current tire offer higher but not the same pressures that are on his current tire. That's because their pressure ranges are specific to them, just like the OP's tire pressure range is specific to it!)
Moving the goalposts much?
Old 12-30-19, 10:04 PM
Cypress

You and NS are the ones making unusual claims, regurgitating the HED blurb and then ask others to do the homework to back it up.
The claims are unusual to you because you don’t know much about this topic.

There’s no homework needed here. All the understanding that is needed is to know that larger volume requires less pressure to maintain the same “hardness”. You should be able to see that by pumping your 23’s up to 120 psi and comparing them to a MTB tire pumped up to 45 psi. Feels about the same. A wider rim creates more volume, hence, less pressure.
Old 12-30-19, 10:05 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
80-95psi is a wide range for a recommended inflation. Does is state whether this is with or without tubes?
I summarized.. they actually break the 80-95 down (eg. 3-6 psi increments) more than HED based on weight.. eg. 140-150lbs, 150-160, etc.. HED only has 140-180 as a single category.
Enve states these as starting pressures based on Tubeless. Even so, though we know that eg. 70psi TL will be better than 70psi tubed, but do we know that recommended 72psi TL is better than 80 or 85psi TL? If so, in what way is it better (comfort only, speed only, comfort and speed)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.