Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

BikeFriday possible sale. Not a bike, the company.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

BikeFriday possible sale. Not a bike, the company.

Old 12-02-19, 05:57 PM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta View Post
Right off, hard to say. I like that it can carry so much. I like the way it rides compared to Dahon. I do almost all my riding in the city on city streets. If I were in the country, that might be different.
Fair enough. If we aren't counting the fold, there are several other folders I think ride a lot better and can easily carry as much or more (BF, Birdy, for example) and there are also minivelos as well. Can't beat the Brompton fold, though. But if I only had one, I'd pick a 20" wheel folder, probably. I love my 16" BF pakiT and it rides great but I also have a 20" Dahon Mu Uno at under 21lbs that rides amazingly well on any terrain, potholes no problem. With a 16" you do have to pay attention to where you are going. And, of course the Dahon single speed coaster brake is great in the rain =).

Last edited by linberl; 12-02-19 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 06:22 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
That Mu Uno is a shockingly good bike as just a bike, not considering the fold. I had one with belt drive and miss it a lot, I should have kept it.
Old 12-02-19, 06:24 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spambait11 View Post
Lol! Schizophrenia at its best!

Anyway, Bike Friday is better than Brompton.
That's a completely subjective statement based on your preferences. There's a bunch of different Bike Fridays, and most of them fit a mission Brompton wasn't designed for.
Old 12-02-19, 09:55 PM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
That's a completely subjective statement based on your preferences. There's a bunch of different Bike Fridays, and most of them fit a mission Brompton wasn't designed for.
Yeah, I'm a massive BF fan (as you know) but I wouldn't say BF is always better. I will say that there are lots of areas in which BF excels over Brompton as a "bike" but that fold has no competition and for some people the luggage system is tops.
Old 12-02-19, 09:58 PM
linberl

That Mu Uno is a shockingly good bike as just a bike, not considering the fold. I had one with belt drive and miss it a lot, I should have kept it.
My Mu is my "beater bike" and I feel really fortunate to have found one. I rarely fold it (although it is incredibly quick to fold when I do) and use it more as a mini velo. And it's only a couple pounds heavier than my pakiT. Once I got rid of the seat pump post and stock saddle.
Old 12-02-19, 10:07 PM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
As to the aftermarket parts for Brompton, in my personal experience the vast majority of them does not work as they are supposed to, maybe 9 out of 10. When you inspect them you see that their designers do not even understand the functioning of the bicycle. My suspicion regarding the bikes put together out of such parts is that their owners hardly ever use them and their primary purpose is to show them off to the friends putting together similar unusable bikes. The aftermarket of folding bike parts is an out of control horror, there to generate funds for the manufacturers and resellers but with not much respect for customers. Anyway, that's my personal experience so far.
Nope, most of the people I know riding modded Brompton have quite a bit of mileage (both horizontal and vertical). Many do randonneuring with their Bromptons. One of them even completed Paris-Brest-Paris last year.
Old 12-02-19, 10:52 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Raxel View Post
Nope, most of the people I know riding modded Brompton have quite a bit of mileage (both horizontal and vertical). Many do randonneuring with their Bromptons. One of them even completed Paris-Brest-Paris last year.
My Brompton is highly modded and has accumulated much mileage in 3D at all kinds of corners and yet yields no contradiction to my claims. To the contrary, an assumption that an aftermarket part would work, since there is hardly anything to mess up there, repeatedly led to disasters at places that were a desert literally or metaphorically, as far as Brompton network was concerned.
Old 12-03-19, 02:37 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wait... Everyone else can make "completely subjective statement(s)" but I can’t? You’re harsh.
I'm calling the internet police.

MY Bike Friday is still better than MY Brompton.
Old 12-03-19, 03:36 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by spambait11 View Post
Wait... Everyone else can make "completely subjective statement(s)" but I can’t? You’re harsh.
I'm calling the internet police.

MY Bike Friday is still better than MY Brompton.
I'm an unabashed BF fan, but are you comparing BF 20" bike with Brompton, or do you have a pakiT that you are comparing? Comparing to 20" bikes isn't exactly a fair comparison. I've got a pakiT, and for MY NEEDS it is better than any Brompton. That's because I prioritize weight over fold and ride quality over luggage carrying. But someone else might really need that compact fold, etc.