Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Problems with resistance using Rouvy

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Problems with resistance using Rouvy

Old 10-14-19, 08:25 PM
zacster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
I'll give BigringVR a try next time I ride indoors. The weather has been cooperating with outdoor riding so far, and I'll stay outside as much as possible since it'll be a long enough winter.
Old 11-05-19, 08:24 AM
bfeist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus View Post
I use Rouvy with my Kickr Snap, the gradients feel correct going up. Descending is a little off, as you don't carry momentum, if you spin up and back off speed drops quickly. I use it for training, not to to replace road riding, I like the augmented routes, and guided intervals though.
YMMV
That you can't coast downhill has been driving me nuts. If I miss as little as two pedal strokes, I lose 30% of my speed. I also use it for training, but training with power to the pedals 100% of the time isn't realistic, and Rouvy appears to be aiming for realism.
Old 11-25-19, 11:56 PM
alexbx

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased the Neo 2T and have the same problem as travelerman describes when interfacing with Rouvy. Any gradient over 4-5% is a grind/mash when using their videos. 7-8% gradients, which I handle well on actual roads, are a nightmare. 16-20% gradients, which I handle in a 39x30 with a slow/steady effort in the real world ... well, in Rouvy I struggle just to turn over the cranks. I've reported this problem to Rouvy and am awaiting their response. While I've read that smart trainers offer more resistance than real-world riding, it seems that the level of resistance being encountered using Rouvy is extreme. Also, as another commenter mentioned, I nearly had to abandon a ride due to my inability to turn over the cranks in a 39x30 gear where in the real world this is absolutely never a problem. So something is amiss.
Old 11-28-19, 10:51 AM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexbx View Post
I just purchased the Neo 2T and have the same problem as travelerman describes when interfacing with Rouvy. Any gradient over 4-5% is a grind/mash when using their videos. 7-8% gradients, which I handle well on actual roads, are a nightmare. 16-20% gradients, which I handle in a 39x30 with a slow/steady effort in the real world ... well, in Rouvy I struggle just to turn over the cranks. I've reported this problem to Rouvy and am awaiting their response. While I've read that smart trainers offer more resistance than real-world riding, it seems that the level of resistance being encountered using Rouvy is extreme. Also, as another commenter mentioned, I nearly had to abandon a ride due to my inability to turn over the cranks in a 39x30 gear where in the real world this is absolutely never a problem. So something is amiss.
Rouvy seem convinced that the resistance in their app is correct and everyone else's is too easy. You can limit the slope and ease the effort a bit but only in "training" mode. The only way I'm able to use Rouvy with my Kurt Kinetic Control trainer was to put an old triple crankset on my bike. As you noted any slope over 5% is a killer using regular gearing i.e 39x25 not to mention that it's almost impossible to avoid wheel slip if using a wheel on trainer. With the triple I can ride up to 10% using a 30x25
Old 11-28-19, 11:32 AM
alexbx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rouvy App on Windows 10

Originally Posted by peter_d View Post
Rouvy seem convinced that the resistance in their app is correct and everyone else's is too easy. You can limit the slope and ease the effort a bit but only in "training" mode. The only way I'm able to use Rouvy with my Kurt Kinetic Control trainer was to put an old triple crankset on my bike. As you noted any slope over 5% is a killer using regular gearing i.e 39x25 not to mention that it's almost impossible to avoid wheel slip if using a wheel on trainer. With the triple I can ride up to 10% using a 30x25
Thanks a lot for your comment. I thought I was going nuts. I'm a good climber (very good in fact), and after a couple of weeks of light riding, I thought my poor result was partly due to loss of fitness. Well, Rouvy responded a couple of times and asked me for data files, etc, which I sent them. Unfortunately, it's now been a few days and no response back from them. I'm exploring other apps to see if there is a difference in resistance. The odd thing is - odd to me at least - is that my overall wattage on Rouvy seems ballpark-acceptable, but I am definitely resorting to super easy gears - like 39x27/30 - on even moderate gradients (6-7%). One thing that seems to confirm what you are saying, however, is that even when pushing pretty hard my watts rarely climb out of the 300's. That seems way too low. Thanks again for your comment/help.
Old 11-28-19, 06:40 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Neo2 and have ridden Zwift, Rouvy, FulGaz, and Road Grand Tours. Every app has a different resistance feel and slope increase/decrease feel. I have ridden 7 different Rouvy rides with big climbs and didn't notice an unmanageable amount of resistance when doing climbs. My gearing is 50/34 with 11-32 cassette, I like to spin when climbing. I would agree the resistance seems more than what you experience with Zwift for a similar slopes. So you aren't imagining things IMHO. I just haven't experienced any climbs in Rouvy where the resistance was so over done that it was overwhelming.
Old 11-29-19, 11:58 AM
stuartofmt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be sending this observation direct to Rouvy - but thought I would share it here

I have gone back to Rouvy a couple of times recently (using the Apple TV app) and been very careful about calibration and making sure there were no additional bluetooth connections etc. (I'm using a Kinetic Rock and Roll Control).
I have also done the same thing in Zwift. I have no complaints with Zwift - resistance feels very close to what I experience in real life. I have Zwift set to 100%.

On Rouvy - I have the following experience:
The addition of resistance (encountering a hill) and the reduction of resistance (getting to a down-slope) are out of sync with the video. Sometimes late in being applied, sometimes early. The impression I have is that the software is "keying" on the position that captured the video . i.e. where that rider would be instead of where my (virtual) rider is. I am an older rider ~ 180W FTP (< 2.5 W/Kg). I do not know how fast the actual rider was going (more on this later) but expect that I am usually much slower that the video speed. So this means that I have not yet arrived at the foot of a hill when the real rider would have - BUT Rouvy seems to apply the added resistance based on the real rider's anticipated position (i.e. early). Similarly - when cresting a hill - Rouvy drops the resistance before I reach the top. I'm not talking a second or two here - more in the 3 to 5 second range.

To make up for my lack of speed - I will often push hard downhill. Likely this places my virtual speed higher than the original video speed and the opposite happens. Resistance is late being applied when encountering the next hill i.e. I'm visually quite a way up before resistance is applied. Sure - on small gradient changes - there would be a "coasting" effect. But I'm talking a quick transition from (say -2% to +7%) - not a lot of real world coasting going on there ....

As a recommendation (assuming the above issue is fixed): It would be very helpful in selecting rides, knowing (for each ride), the FTP and W/Kg and ave Speed that the original video was taken at. Especially for those of us that are more recreational. As well - some form of on-screen indicator of relative speed? position? power? compared to the real life speed would be helpful. Simply stated - if I select a ride that I should be able to do at the recored speed, it would be helpful to judge if I am "keeping up".

Last edited by stuartofmt; 11-29-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-02-19, 11:43 AM
Jungleland

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just started on Rouvy (we just got a Kickr) and I have experienced the same thing (4% grade feels like a 14% grade). I will adjust the slider in training mode this afternoon to see if that helps.

One question I have, I don't see all that many video routes available (maybe 15 or so in the United States, a bit more than that in the UK etc...). Is that because I am using it without paying (it doesn't say trial version but I assume that is what I am using), or is that what they have for now?
Old 12-02-19, 04:30 PM
Jungleland

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jungleland View Post
Just started on Rouvy (we just got a Kickr) and I have experienced the same thing (4% grade feels like a 14% grade). I will adjust the slider in training mode this afternoon to see if that helps.

One question I have, I don't see all that many video routes available (maybe 15 or so in the United States, a bit more than that in the UK etc...). Is that because I am using it without paying (it doesn't say trial version but I assume that is what I am using), or is that what they have for now?
I adjusted the slider to 40% and the uphills were much more accurate but it made the downhills way to fast but I would rather have the uphills and flats more realistic than the downhills.
Old 12-02-19, 05:36 PM
jmess

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rouvey Video Recordings

I would say that most of the Rovey videos, at least the ones I have ridden so far, aren't made during a real ride. I think they are filmed from a Moped or Motor-scooter. You ever notice how you never get passed by other riders that are visible in the videos? You are always passing them.

During a long 7 mile climb today it appeared that Rouvy breaks the climbs into segments as displayed on screen. The segment slope is some form of average or ?? but the resistance seems to stay the same while inside the segment. You can see in the video where the slope flattens and steepens in the climb segment yet the resistance doesn't seem to change until the segment changes.
Old 12-02-19, 07:04 PM
stuartofmt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer I got from Rouvy support was this:

"To compare Zwift resistance with Rouvy - 100% in Zwift equals 60% in Rouvy.
You can try it, if you ride in Rouvy in Training mode, go to Settings and set the reality level at 60%.

The video speed depends on your speed. If you ride certified routes, then the grade of the route should be the same, as you see in the video. Sometimes the gare [sic] is adjusted to enable smoother ride."

I tried again today as I had the reality level set to 100%. I reduced it to 70% (the dropdown does not provide a 60% option on apple TV). This resulted in a MUCH better ride with the start and end of slopes seeming to be much closer to the visual expectation and the transition of slope segments. So - it seems that "reality" is ~ 70% of "reality" .... Rouvy did not define their "reality". Depending on how you read the comparison to Zwift - either Rouvy is more real than Zwift or Zwift's virtual world is more real then Rouvy . All I can say is that for me Zwift at 100% feels close to real and Rouvy at 70% feels close to real.
@jmess - the behavior I was experiencing was that the effect of the slope segments was not happening as you went from one segment to another. It was either delayed or happened too soon (it seemed - depending on speed) and by a long time.