Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

🦃 Anybody else not eating turkey tomorrow?

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

🦃 Anybody else not eating turkey tomorrow?

Old 11-27-19, 06:45 PM
Digger Goreman

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Eating veggie/vegan, wishing the turkeys free flight, and wishing hypocrisy hadn't won the day....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 11-27-19, 07:22 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hondo gravel View Post
nope just go behind the shack if number 1 number 2 go way in the back by a bush if number 3 run ..
#3 ?
Old 11-27-19, 08:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
Of Worms and Ruins

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
#3 ?
Combination of 1 and 2
Old 11-27-19, 08:52 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn Willy

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
just a regular meal since thanksgiving isn’t a holiday for us so we just enjoy the time together doing something that makes us happy.

lammstek is a meal my family had when i was growing up. i luv the gravy from it with broiled tomatoes, browned potatoes and green vegetables.
I could've sworn Thanksgiving is a federal holiday in the USA? You mean you have to work on Thanksgiving because your work doesn't give you the day off?

My brother works in petrochem and doesn't get holidays off unless it's already his scheduled day off. I had a job like that years ago where my days off were Mondays and Tuesdays, and I worked right through Thanksgiving.

Last edited by FiftySix; 11-27-19 at 08:56 PM. Reason: de-tail
Old 11-28-19, 02:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7103 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
I could've sworn Thanksgiving is a federal holiday in the USA? You mean you have to work on Thanksgiving because your work doesn't give you the day off?

My brother works in petrochem and doesn't get holidays off unless it's already his scheduled day off. I had a job like that years ago where my days off were Mondays and Tuesdays, and I worked right through Thanksgiving.
Working TDay too... but don't feel bad for me, just had a long weekend, with the wife, in New Orleans... but that's a whole 'nother thread.
Likes For genec:
Old 11-28-19, 12:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9416 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 574 Posts
Why didn't the turkey eat anything? It was stuffed!

Boo! Hiss!
Old 11-28-19, 02:50 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 159 Posts
Old 11-29-19, 01:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1718 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 169 Posts
I was given some of that years ago and worshipped at the porcelain throne. I'd eat scrambled eggs and ham/bacon if forced to.
Old 11-29-19, 06:35 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Left over pizza, sausage balls and coffee T-day...turkey with family Fri. Cheers!
Old 12-02-19, 07:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3060 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 291 Posts
A friend had a bunch of us mostly single folks over for Thanksgiving. Dinner was mostly traditional stuff -- turkey, dressing, etc. And all very good.

But as we were leaving and he insisted on everyone taking some food home, I noticed nobody had touched the tamales. I guess they didn't unwrap the foil to see the goodies inside.

I skipped the turkey leftovers and stocked up on those tamales, especially the pork and spicy chicken. They're made by someone's abuela who sells them in Foat Wuth's Northside bars. So you know they're good. I still have a couple left for tonight.
Old 12-02-19, 08:28 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I swear that looks like an avocado gone really, really bad.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 12-03-19, 05:08 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 7103 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
A friend had a bunch of us mostly single folks over for Thanksgiving. Dinner was mostly traditional stuff -- turkey, dressing, etc. And all very good.

But as we were leaving and he insisted on everyone taking some food home, I noticed nobody had touched the tamales. I guess they didn't unwrap the foil to see the goodies inside.

I skipped the turkey leftovers and stocked up on those tamales, especially the pork and spicy chicken. They're made by someone's abuela who sells them in Foat Wuth's Northside bars. So you know they're good. I still have a couple left for tonight.
I went looking for tamales the other day... could not find any. Specifically I was looking for the sweet ones, but I could not find any in and around Melbourne Florida. Cuban food, yes, (and damn, great coffee...) but I guess tamales are not a Cuban or Puerto Rico treat. I spoke to a Mexican family the other day at the laundromat (recognized the accent). They too lamented not being able to find mole at any local restaurants... of course one can make it. . I will be making my traditional holiday batch in a couple weeks.
Old 12-03-19, 07:16 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Homemade tamales are so common here it seems any workplace you go to has someone that brought in their aunt's or grandma's fresh made tamales. Almost always for sale and gifted away if you overbuy.

Just a few months ago I was at a Home Depot in Austin , Texas and several people were selling tamales out of the backs of their pick up trucks. Could be a lunch, breakfast, or dinner.

By the way, some of these homemade tamales are outstanding. I had a great batch just before Thanksgiving.
Old 12-03-19, 02:42 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Maybe some kind of tika masala.
Can do both: https://altonbrown.com/turkey-tikka-masala/
Old 12-03-19, 02:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

my MIL made a lovely pork roast
Old 12-03-19, 02:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 9416 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 574 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
One of these days I need to try making fake chicken tika masala, but the fake chicken strips make such great tacos, that's all I ever use them for. And paneer/vegetable masala is so good, basically the same thing happens.
Old 12-03-19, 02:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Quoted: 3060 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I went looking for tamales the other day... could not find any. Specifically I was looking for the sweet ones, but I could not find any in and around Melbourne Florida. Cuban food, yes, (and damn, great coffee...) but I guess tamales are not a Cuban or Puerto Rico treat. I spoke to a Mexican family the other day at the laundromat (recognized the accent). They too lamented not being able to find mole at any local restaurants... of course one can make it. . I will be making my traditional holiday batch in a couple weeks.
Yeah, Cuban and Puerto Rican dishes are very different from Mexican. And even Mexican food is very diverse. For years during the 1970s all I knew was Tex-Mex. When I was in the military, mostly in Southern California, the SoCal version of Tex-Mex was different but still not authentic Mexican food. For that we'd visit the border towns for the restaurants and street vendors.

It's still not easy to find Cuban food in Texas. Those specialty restaurants come and go. Not bad when you can find 'em. No idea how authentic they are, I've never been to Cuba.

Here in Texas tamales are so common it's hard to avoid them. And most are pretty good. The recipes are simple and fairly easy to make once you're set up to make a big batch.

My favorite local restaurant was for years the only place in town that offered traditional dishes from Central and Southern Mexico, such as Tamal Oaxaquenos or variations wrapped in banana leaves rather than corn husks. And varieties with red and green mole sauces.

But one thing they didn't offer was a true chocolate mole sauce. And the stuff was hard to find in grocery stores -- the prepackaged jars weren't authentic. I had to get my chocolate mole fix in Chicago where I visited on business trips during the late 1980s-'90s. Chicago has a respectable population of folks from Central Mexico so it was easy to find authentic dishes -- but harder to find Tex-Mex. I haven't been back to Chicago in years and I'd bet the Mexican cuisine is more diverse now.

Some of the best Mexican food locally now is from food trucks that are more or less permanent fixtures around the gentrifying areas around downtown Fort Worth. As development progresses I suspect those vendors will be priced out of the area, but for now it's great to be able to grab a really good soft taco or other dishes from a food truck on rest breaks during group bike rides.
Old 12-03-19, 05:56 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
One of these days I need to try making fake chicken tika masala, but the fake chicken strips make such great tacos, that's all I ever use them for. And paneer/vegetable masala is so good, basically the same thing happens.
Fake? fake chicken or fake tikka? Are you a vegetarian? (You can't possibly be vegan because I've never read you saying so)