Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly LHT forward-back rocking on descents

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Surly LHT forward-back rocking on descents

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 06:18 PM
Pacme74 

Bikes: 2020 Surly Long Haul Trucker, Marin Larkspur, Motobecane 1981, Raleigh vintage road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes! The chain jumps so I’m planning a visit anyway.
Old 03-22-21, 07:19 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacme74
that smooth-talking gentleman with the almost-handlebar ‘stache is reason I’m where I am! 100% agree.
he's a great presenter, they did a good job choosing him as their video teaching mechanic.
Old 03-23-21, 11:55 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Re. Having someone show you how.

I deal with a small shop owned by the mechanic of more than thirty years. When I got into disc brakes I said I wanted him to show me how to replace/adjust pads. I bought the pads, he did the rear and I did the front.

Same some year's ago with spoke truing. I could do it somewhat but paid him $20 to give me his version of a tutorial when business was slow. I do my own work but he's the guy I go to when I get stumped mechanically.
Old 03-23-21, 06:20 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Happy Feet

I deal with a small shop owned by the mechanic of more than thirty years. When I got into disc brakes I said I wanted him to show me how to replace/adjust pads. I bought the pads, he did the rear and I did the front.

Same some year's ago with spoke truing. I could do it somewhat but paid him $20 to give me his version of a tutorial when business was slow. I do my own work but he's the guy I go to when I get stumped mechanically.
I've done this sort of thing often with my local bike shops going back decades. Knowing that I was into touring and wanting to be competent for any mechanicals on a trip, they've always been open to checking my work and answering questions.
really worth having a good relationship with a bike store and employees.
Old 03-23-21, 06:49 PM
Pacme74 

Bikes: 2020 Surly Long Haul Trucker, Marin Larkspur, Motobecane 1981, Raleigh vintage road

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

Originally Posted by djb
I've done this sort of thing often with my local bike shops going back decades. Knowing that I was into touring and wanting to be competent for any mechanicals on a trip, they've always been open to checking my work and answering questions.
really worth having a good relationship with a bike store and employees.
great point. I did a similar thing with a painter/trim finisher: hired him for an hour consult on the best way to refinish my interior trim (knowing I was never going to hire him to do it due to the cost).
Old 03-23-21, 07:08 PM
djb

I would add though that with a good bike store with good employees etc, they know I'll buy "stuff" from them for years, lights, locks, bikes for my kids, and have them do mechanic work that is beyond my ability or what needs very specialized tools-- so just want to emphasize trying to support local bike stores.

around here, bike stores are bonkers busy, and the continuing covid situation means limited entry of customers.
Old 03-26-21, 03:05 PM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quick and partial update: took the LHT to the original purchase bike shop to check headset and make an adjustment (separate issue - front derailleur, will research threads on that one). Apparently the stem I installed had the right amount of compression but there was one stem bolt not quite tight enough. Overall, the mechanic did not see any reason why there would have been fore-aft rocking unless it was brakes.

I plan to retrace that ride soon and will be paying attention to my braking in case I flunked the memory test and was actually applying some brakes.

I'll post a review after the ride - may be this weekend or next.
Old 04-29-21, 07:35 AM
Pacme74 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you and Verdict

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
It sounds like you have a loose headset.
Originally Posted by fishboat
For the OP..still thinking a loose headset from the stem change.
Originally Posted by djb
have someone show you headset adjustment in person, it takes 10 seconds and hopefully you pick up on the feel for proper adjustment.
Originally Posted by saddlesores
could you maybe return to place of your new purchase,
ask the mech there to take a peek....?
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
After checking headset, Try it on fairly new smooth pavement, then the bike should ride perfectly smooth.
Here is the final verdict: it was a mystery experience and has not been repeated.

For the full story: I did take the bike back to the original shop and they checked the (new stem and) headset - all was fine and the right torque. I had a derailleur adjustment (separate issue now - three chain rings on the front seem to be a wee bit too wide for the range of movement from the stock derailleur) too. I have spent a number of weeks seeking out a non-painful saddle to allow a repeat of the same 40 mile ride. In the mean time, I tested a couple of saddles on another couple of shorter hills and felt the same fore-aft sensation, but in relationship to obvious bumps in the asphalt. I also tested the brakes with light pressure going down hills. Once I found the saddle for me (a brooks b17 imperial and now butchered just a tad), I had a repeat ride. NO ROCKING. so.... I'm chalking it up to oversensitivity to new bike performance and also maybe regular bumps in the asphalt on that particular stretch of road.

Thank you all! Gains for me: headset knowledge, park tools videos, and a refined focus on road feel vs mech issues.
Likes For Pacme74:
Old 04-29-21, 08:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacme74
Here is the final verdict: it was a mystery experience and has not been repeated.

For the full story: I did take the bike back to the original shop and they checked the (new stem and) headset - all was fine and the right torque. I had a derailleur adjustment (separate issue now - three chain rings on the front seem to be a wee bit too wide for the range of movement from the stock derailleur) too. I have spent a number of weeks seeking out a non-painful saddle to allow a repeat of the same 40 mile ride. In the mean time, I tested a couple of saddles on another couple of shorter hills and felt the same fore-aft sensation, but in relationship to obvious bumps in the asphalt. I also tested the brakes with light pressure going down hills. Once I found the saddle for me (a brooks b17 imperial and now butchered just a tad), I had a repeat ride. NO ROCKING. so.... I'm chalking it up to oversensitivity to new bike performance and also maybe regular bumps in the asphalt on that particular stretch of road.

Thank you all! Gains for me: headset knowledge, park tools videos, and a refined focus on road feel vs mech issues.
Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks for the update.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-29-21, 08:18 AM
djb

hey, thats life, learning new stuff one bit at a time, and as with more riding experience, sometimes it helps to actively think about a "this" feel or "that" feel about different aspects of riding-- helps you become more attuned to things that you never paid attention to before.
Likes For djb: