Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What makes a touring bike frame a touring bike frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What makes a touring bike frame a touring bike frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 10:22 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not at the point where that is needed... most of the time. There are quite a few discussions about health benefits of cycling, and I'm for as much as possible.

The exception is the occasional heavy cargo load. So far infrequent enough that it is fine. And, if I needed to do it more often, perhaps it would get me into better shape.

Yet, I'm not beyond improving my towing rig.
LOL! It's not about "need". That's the 1st reaction every bike rider has to the suggestion of riding an ebike, "I'm not that old", "I'm not there yet", "I'm not at the point where that is needed... "It doesn't have to have anything to do with need. You can expend as much or more energy than you do now with the only side effect being to have gone further, faster, with more weight. Or not use the motor at all and talk smack at the top of the hill.
Old 03-12-18, 10:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
LOL! It's not about "need". That's the 1st reaction every bike rider has to the suggestion of riding an ebike, "I'm not that old", "I'm not there yet", "I'm not at the point where that is needed... "It doesn't have to have anything to do with need. You can expend as much or more energy than you do now with the only side effect being to have gone further, faster, with more weight. Or not use the motor at all and talk smack at the top of the hill.
Faster... Mmmm... I have to work on that.
Further... I did hit 160 mile one-day ride a week ago. I hit 200 miles last April. Hopefully the E-Battery wouldn't have died halfway through the ride.
More Weight? Now that could be dangerous.

Old 03-13-18, 08:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Yep... probably full MTB for John Wayne. There are some suggestions of going FAT, but I just can't bring myself to that, especially if I end up doing a few hundred miles commuting mixed in with the ride. Just have to decide what I want for a base. 26", 650b, 700c/29.
Fat bikes are probably more useless than "gravel" bikes in the grand scheme of things. They have their place...deep sand, snow, soft beaches, etc...but for touring they are unnecessarily heavy. They are especially heavy in the tires where you don't want a lot of weight.

And, while they may get their suspension from the tires, that is all undamped suspension. It's a bit like trying to ride a basket ball.

As for wheels, it probably won't matter. There is way too much made out of how one wheel size is vastly superior to another when the differences is only marginal. There are other downsides and upsides to consider. For example, a "29er" uses a larger, heavier wheel which makes it harder to climb since the gearing is higher and the wheel is heavier. The 27.5er (650b) is still relatively new which makes sourcing replacement tires and/or wheels a bit more difficult. To be fair, 26" tires are becoming rarer so replacement can be difficult to find as well.

On the plus side for 26" mountain bikes, you can pick up fantastic bikes for a song. I have 2 titanium ones that I paid a fraction of the price of a new titanium bike and I expect to ride them for decades. The Moots YBB I have has a clever "soft tail" that takes a bit of the edge off of hits without inch worming like a longer travel bike can. I paid about $900 for the frame about 10 years ago when new frames were going for north of $2000. I have a Dean hardtail which makes for a great off-road tourer as well without the comfort edge and I paid $600 for a $3000 frame. Both are going to outlast me.

Yep... I don't expect a stem failure. But, just an example of using vintage bikes and "franken-bikes". The old Colnago is likely worse for finding replacement parts along the road. But, there is always the risk of braking something on a bike that just isn't carried anymore, anywhere.

How long until we arrive at a point where the only parts for 80's and 90's style bikes will come from the internet or perhaps junk stores? And, of course parts like the stem that connect a 2000's style fork to a 2010's style handlebar just don't really exist.
It's not as hard to find parts for old bikes as you think. There are still enough hipsters out there who love old bikes for more boutique suppliers to offer parts. Even big parts dealers like Quality Bike Parts (QBP) offer some old style bike parts.

As for connecting a 2000 fork to a 2010 (or 2018) style handlebar, that's easy. There are lots of adapters you can use to make everything fit. The Interwebs makes it easy to track down those parts.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-13-18, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I believe it was you that said: "Know your audience" tiger. Just trying to make it un-der-stand-a-ble. I don't need someone to be an English prof. once again, just understandable. You know, enough effort that the point can come through. No problem man, I understand completely. You just do your best.
Take your own advice, dog. If you are going act like an English professor and call others on grammar and spelling, you'd better damned well be perfect yourself. Frankly, your post, this post and most of your other posts are barely un-der-stand-a-ble.

You have a few points on which we could agree but your delivery and attitude aren't helping.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-13-18, 12:25 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Take your own advice, dog. If you are going act like an English professor and call others on grammar and spelling, you'd better damned well be perfect yourself. Frankly, your post, this post and most of your other posts are barely un-der-stand-a-ble.

You have a few points on which we could agree but your delivery and attitude aren't helping.
Sorry. big guy. I didn't mean to dent the old feelings. You are the only one I have ever mentioned anything to about not being able to understand them. Mostly because, well... I couldn't understand your ramblings. So, now you have proven that you Can use spell and grammar checkers, all you have to do is repeat it on every post. Maybe it was due to alcohol use, IDK, or care. It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to mostly understood. When you use sentences like this:

"Someone who is out on the edges of stuff carrying should be careful about throwing rocks. Glass houses and all that."

When offered this level of.... poop <trying to be nice for the administraters>, I don't bother wasting the time to wade through the rest of the morass. I prefer epistemological evidence over opinion. But, thanks for reading my other posts, can't say I would ever consider doing the same for you. Have a good day and lay off the sauce mate.

Last edited by BBassett; 03-13-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 04:19 PM
cyccommute 

Sorry. big guy. I didn't mean to dent the old feelings. You are the only one I have ever mentioned anything to about not being able to understand them. Mostly because, well... I couldn't understand your ramblings. So, now you have proven that you Can use spell and grammar checkers, all you have to do is repeat it on every post. Maybe it was due to alcohol use, IDK, or care. It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough to mostly understood. When you use sentences like this:

"Someone who is out on the edges of stuff carrying should be careful about throwing rocks. Glass houses and all that."

When offered this level of.... poop <trying to be nice for the administraters>, I don't bother wasting the time to wade through the rest of the morass. I prefer epistemological evidence over opinion. But, thanks for reading my other posts, can't say I would ever consider doing the same for you. Have a good day and lay off the sauce mate.
Forum rules prevent me from saying what I really want to say but you have gone too far! Nothing in any of my posts indicate that I have a substance abuse problem of any kind. To level that kind of accusation is going way over the line. Your post is a clear effort to just be insulting. That's against Forum rules as well.

Old 03-13-18, 05:06 PM
BBassett

Forum rules prevent me from saying what I really want to say but you have gone too far! Nothing in any of my posts indicate that I have a substance abuse problem of any kind. To level that kind of accusation is going way over the line. Your post is a clear effort to just be insulting. That's against Forum rules as well.
I didn't say that and you know it. Your acting like a soccer player wanting to force the referee to pull a Red card on someone. You have heard of "tongue in cheek" right? Or of jesting maybe? I never said anything about abuse of any kind, but there is a better than 50% chance according to Google that you do drink alcohol. My post was nothing more than a continuation of a conversation kept up by you. I am sorry you feel the desire to insult me for whatever reasons, I always say good things about you to my friends. I just re-read my last reply to make sure that it wasn't me that said something wrong while being sloshed or baked. And I am confused now. What exactly was "too far"? I specifically say "use", not abuse, like you implied. No name calling and I even censored myself from saying the S-word. i haven't whined about any of your replies, even the multi-paragraph tirade (pssst, I just didn't read it).

"Methinks thou doth protest too much." - W.S.

It is one of the perversely sad truths of society that the voice which shouts the loudest is the most influential in that society. I offer an opinion, my opinion. If you don't like my "delivery", and or, "attitude" as you have stated:

"You have a few points on which we could agree but your delivery and attitude aren't helping."

Then don't subject yourself to my opinion.

p.s. I left a couple spelling errors and several punctuation... abnormalities.

I think full suspension tour bikes are the evolutionary process of tour bikes.

I had to come back and tell you not to worry, that in the future I will make no comments directly to you, so you can rest easy mate.

Last edited by BBassett; 03-13-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-13-18, 05:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Mostly its a bike you go on a tour riding , nothing more..

Old 03-13-18, 06:50 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Mostly its a bike you go on a tour riding , nothing more..

There's a thread for ya - Do you ride with a back pack?

I hated it even as a kid. But I can carry the hell out of a lambskin bag, and do.
Old 03-13-18, 09:12 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Okay I've had enough of the complaints about this thread and the condescending tone . BBasset, please leave this thread.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-14-18, 09:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Internet picture is that of of a young Woman in Barcelona , Irish Author Dervla Murphy, in her younger years and travels..

https://www.travelbooks.co.uk/dervla-murphy/

I see women today carrying a small back pack, as a purse.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-14-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 11:55 AM
cyccommute 

I didn't say that and you know it.
Your reading comprehension isn't what you think it is. Suggesting that someone is drunk when that is clearly not in evidence is meant purely as an insult. What I said initially was clearly written and easy to understand. You are just grasping at straws to make your point. Some...perhaps many...would say you are just a troll.

Nearly everything you've written has been insulting and not at all clearly written. Just as when you've calling someone out on what and how they carry things on bicycles, your attempts at calling out my grammar fall far short of the mark since your grammar and spelling are far poorer than mine.

Perhaps the real problem here is that you don't understand the "glass houses" metaphor.

Old 03-27-21, 01:16 PM
BBassett

...your attempts at calling out my grammar fall far short of the mark since your grammar and spelling are far poorer than mine.]
One should always speak at the level of their intended "audience". If I lost you there too... watch a 1st-grade teacher speaking to children. Stay safe.
Old 03-27-21, 01:27 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
One should always speak at the level of their intended "audience". If I lost you there too... watch a 1st-grade teacher speaking to children. Stay safe.
Just came across "Puyallup" for the first time in my life yesterday, reading a Dashiell Hammett short story. And now I see it listed as this poster's location. Coincidence?
Old 03-27-21, 06:53 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,401 Times in 896 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Okay I've had enough of the complaints about this thread and the condescending tone . BBasset, please leave this thread.

You hold grudges I see.

BTW my comment still holds true.

Thread closed.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.