Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Unusually Large Eccentric BB shell

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 04:57 PM
erikpavey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I recently bought a steel single speed frame designed for an eccentric bb from 2009. It’s originally from a shop here in Ottawa that used to sell them under their own brand. They have a great reputation and I know it’s a good quality frame.

when I brought it home I started measuring aspects of the frame to start ordering parts, however I quickly noticed I couldn’t find an eccentric bb adapted that seems to fit the frame. The bb shell inner diameter is about 62-63mm, but I couldn’t seem to find anything that fit larger than 57mm, let alone any information at all about larger sized eccentric bottom brackets. Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions where I might find a suitable part?
Old 04-09-21, 07:26 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Maybe post in the tandem sub-forum, or call Co-Motion?
Old 04-09-21, 07:27 PM
acoustophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
How wide it the bottom bracket shell? Is it threaded or are you looking at press fit BB's? In my experience, eccentric bottom brackets generally come in standard sizes and typically adhere to english thread 1.370" x 24 TPI with a 68mm or 73mm shell width. It wouldn't make much sense to have a bb shell that doesn't conform to standardized sizes. Eccentric bb's are typically used as a workaround to add tension so it seems odd that this frame would be purpose built for an eccentric bb. Would you be able to post a picture?
Old 04-09-21, 08:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I would check with the shop in Ottawa what parts they spec'd or have them measure everything and get you an eccentric to fit.

You could also reach out to:Custom Bicycles | Rodriguez Bicycles and Tandems in Seattle or https://problemsolversbike.com (who now owns and distributes the Bushnell Eccentric which used to be Rodriguez)
Old 04-09-21, 09:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
eccentric bottom brackets generally come in standard sizes and typically adhere to english thread 1.370" x 24 TPI with a 68mm or 73mm shell width.
it seems odd that this frame would be purpose built for an eccentric bb.
Some singlespeeds with vertical dropouts used to use these kinds of shells. The width is standard but the shell diameter is bigger. I'm not familiar with any that were over 54mm, though.

Last edited by Rolla; 04-09-21 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-17-21, 07:23 PM
tough_boots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Some singlespeeds with vertical dropouts used to use these kinds of shells.
I had a Scott single speed about 10 years ago with an EBB like that. I HATED that thing.