Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 02-12-21, 10:27 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
2x25s way too late last night. Legs were kinda heavy. Screwed up my sleep pretty badly after 😑
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 02-12-21, 10:37 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Erg. I prefer outdoors for these, but weather here is 40's and 30's and ice and rain for a full week.

I never do the upper or lower % range for VO2. I've read like 105 to 120%. I think I'm at 113%. Zwift you can hit + or - to add or lessen the load by a percent during your workout OR you can do your set and bail the last 10 seconds by swiping right. Heartrate during the workout seems to react just right for what VO2 for me should be.

I managed to hit 4 of 5 of the 5min intervals, managed like 2min the last one. The 3x3x3 workout I got all of them until the foot unplugged the trainer in my last rep of the last set with a minute to go. I started it back up and hit the last minute, but that doesn't count I guess.

I have off days in between, so, the fatigue isn't too too bad. It's just the game face on the trainer. Good feeding before hand.

I wanted to do 3 this week to get into the pattern. I'll probably do 2 in subsequent weeks and try to raise the % a hair or add duration a hair. I couldn't do 3 a week for more than a single week. I'm no stud.
man i HATE over threshy on the trainer, just feels too weird. good on you.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 02-12-21, 10:49 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
man i HATE over threshy on the trainer, just feels too weird. good on you.
Dude, I totally understand. I don't like it. With weather, it's just all I can do.

I see my TT bike sitting there on the little metal stand looking all lonely. I hear it whimpering and calling out to me. I've done a few workouts on Zwift with it the past weeks, but I miss rolling that thing outdoors.

We've had our wettest winter here starting around Dec since forever. And not a 50 deg wet you can kinda deal with, like windy and 40 usually.

Worst part is we own a small ranch house. So I permanently setup my Kickr in a bifold door clothes closet. I turned our old 42" tv on its side vertical in one end and have it all wired up. Just swing open the doors and lay the hangers of clothes on the bed and ride. I think I've got like 4 inches either side of my pedals in there.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-12-21, 01:07 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Yesterday did 6x7min @ 105-108%, 4/6 good, 2/6 really hurty. These were scaled to 285w, since apparently I lost 10-15w in FTP just by merely going into the build phase even after consistent training lol On one hand, I get that having a vanity FTP does me no good, so there's no point in having 300w set as my FTP if I can't execute at or over threshold consistently. However, I find it hard to believe I could have done 6 weeks of training in which the majority of my training was at 95% and not feel fatigued, so at least to my simple mind there's a disconnect between my ability at different levels. That's part of the reason why I don't really like to test and adjust the targets according to what I can consistently accomplish for training zones. It occasionally leads me to existential crises like this post, but I'll have stuff figured out soon enough lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 02-12-21, 03:30 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Okay...everyone is bored with my TTTs. Yesterday’s Fiesta had a new obstacle. It was a guy on a skateboard being power by a big sail that he held without any stabilizing mechanism. He was on the left side of the one way road at least going in the right direction. We passed him on the right hoping nothing odd would happen to flip him into us. On the next lap, he was off the road in the hard pack dirt.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-12-21, 06:07 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

1x15 & 1x25 yesterday, I guess sort of threshy. Watched Grosse Pointe Blank, was funnier than I remembered.
2x20 + 1x15 today, like 5-10w under threshy feeling yesterday a bit. Watched Speed, was radder than I remembered.
Old 02-14-21, 08:22 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I did a 100km ride on Zwift; not a race but no ride lead, so it was basically a race. I was fresh with 6 easy days (but some efforts yesterday) and wanted to break some pr's. I was about 20 watts off on the high end, I just didn't have it today =\ Still just 2 minutes off the lead ground for 3.6 w/kg for 2:20.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 02-14-21, 09:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
2 hours on the bike yesterday, then a 3.5 hour hike with the family today. Legs feel pretty good but I’m just generally fatigued. Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day. I may just do an easy spin.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-15-21, 08:58 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
did 3x20 over unders on Sat. First one good, 2nd one ok, last one boo lol I bailed out of some sweet spot yesterday, wasn't feeling it. I'm just in a weird spot, fortunately this week is an endurance/recovery week.

Not sure how many are following this whole Dylan Johnson v. Trainerroad kerfuffle, it's blown up on other online forums. But it really did get me thinking that even though I felt really good, maybe doing all that sweet spot over 12 weeks slightly overcooked me (I generally have responded well to it). Because I can't think of any other reason behind my mini slump, so I've got some other stuff planned to help reset me a bit after this week
Old 02-15-21, 09:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I did a 100km ride on Zwift; not a race but no ride lead, so it was basically a race. I was fresh with 6 easy days (but some efforts yesterday) and wanted to break some pr's. I was about 20 watts off on the high end, I just didn't have it today =\ Still just 2 minutes off the lead ground for 3.6 w/kg for 2:20.
What route?
Old 02-15-21, 09:59 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Finished up a 4 day block with 1x30 sweet spot on saturday and 2hrs tempo yesterday (308w, to flex on burnthesheep's 300w thread ). I'm pretty tired, last week I only did 11.25hrs but like 4 of those hours were in zone over the last 4 days.

I'm supposed to have a wisdom tooth pulled on Thursday so I'm torn between continuing to dig a hole or resting for a couple of days and getting in a good workout Wednesday. We're also supposed to get like a foot of snow thursday so my appointment might not even happen.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 02-15-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 12:59 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
My new home gym is slowly coming together. So far, my 45s, 25s, olympic bar, bench, and safety pins have arrived. Still waiting on the squat rack, hex bar and 10s.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 02-15-21, 01:21 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What route?
Petit Boucle; it was the first time I did the full route (I've done the partial many times) and that 4 minute climb killed me. Last lap I was gapped by 4 seconds at the top and that turned into a minute.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 02-15-21, 02:05 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Finished up a 4 day block with 1x30 sweet spot on saturday and 2hrs tempo yesterday (308w, to flex on burnthesheep's 300w thread ).
You did 308 for two hours at a tempo pace?

That's boss-like. Nice.
Old 02-15-21, 02:34 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
You did 308 for two hours at a tempo pace?

That's boss-like. Nice.
Thanks! Theoretically my ftp is 350-360 but inertial changes on a smart trainer feel weird and I don't erg mode, so I've only got 352 up til about 36min inside this winter. I did do 335 for 80min at the beginning of January pretty easily, so I'm reasonably confident about the 350 ballpark. Outdoor numbers are typically a bit higher along with tte.

I probably should be switching to vo2 to push out of my current plateau I guess, but I HATE vo2 on the trainer.
Old 02-16-21, 08:09 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I think I saw Psimet2001 last night on Zwift on Richmond fan flats. I can't imagine it would be somebody else with that specific of a username.

I need a new fan. The blower thing I'm using isn't enough. If I could have traced my HR vs RPE vs temp last night, it would have been telling. I sought a hard hour of sweetspot on the upper end. It was just right for most of it, but the heat soak just ended me the last 15min. Couldn't do it. HR continuing to climb. I felt hot. RPE skyrocketed.

I think indoors you have to for that long a period of time bring the power down, increase your fans cooling, or do work with rest intervals to cool off. With zero time to reduce temperature, I feel like that was the problem. Instead I think I'll just add the extra time to the workout to put it into sets with some time between to cool off.

The below isn't for folks that aren't into potty stuff........

Noticed the body metrics scale really does need you to follow procedure for emptying yourself but having a little breakfast. Seems like if you don't it really skews the %. You can take it from there if you know what I mean.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-16-21, 08:50 AM
rubiksoval

It hasn't been above freezing here in the last 5 days, and isn't expected to until Friday. It snowed/sleeted an inch or two yesterday, too. The high is 18 today! This weather isn't unheard of, but it doesn't happen too often. Everything has completely shut down. No schools, no daycares, everyone trying to work virtually.

I took a recovery week with a few days off last week and got about 6 hours and 5.5 MJ, so this week it's back at it shooting for 10, which will be entirely two-a-day/trainer-based until Sat. My Tacx is grinding really badly. This is the second one, and this one just made it past its warranty before starting up the sounds (since I only ever ride it from Dec- Mar), so I guess I'll try taking it apart at some point and see if it's fixable.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 02-16-21, 09:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Skiing in Park City, UT...actually Deer Valley Ski Resort. 10,000 vertical feet yesterday. My SpO2 seems about 1 point better than 3 weeks ago for day 2. Altitude sleep last night was choppy with a lot of peeing.

I tried the short skis. Of course, I could ski them and the newer versions are much better than the original versions that I had 15 years ago. Much stiffer. I can cut a turn and reach down and touch the snow. I can do much more radical stuff. However, they are much tougher on the legs. The last run of the day, I was skiing with my hands behind my back like a speed skater. That seems to take a lot more balance and core strength than with ones hands out. I did not use poles.

Interestingly, they were a hit with the ski instructor / Deer Valley lift operators who wanted to know how they performed and looked like fun. I summarized them as bad ass and super cool. That seemed to sell.

We are getting a lot of snow the next couple of days. Traditional skis today.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-16-21, 09:27 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I think I saw Psimet2001 last night on Zwift on Richmond fan flats. I can't imagine it would be somebody else with that specific of a username.

I need a new fan. The blower thing I'm using isn't enough. If I could have traced my HR vs RPE vs temp last night, it would have been telling. I sought a hard hour of sweetspot on the upper end. It was just right for most of it, but the heat soak just ended me the last 15min. Couldn't do it. HR continuing to climb. I felt hot. RPE skyrocketed.

I think indoors you have to for that long a period of time bring the power down, increase your fans cooling, or do work with rest intervals to cool off. With zero time to reduce temperature, I feel like that was the problem. Instead I think I'll just add the extra time to the workout to put it into sets with some time between to cool off.
Get a utility fan. Treat yoself!

I have this one. Works really well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YKXF9VC/

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 02-16-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-16-21, 01:52 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Treat yoself!
Parks and Rec quote???

But yes, I'm going to go strong on the fan. Maybe if I do, the weather will pay attention to my Amazon deliveries and suddenly decide to permanently improve nullifying the use of the new fan.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-16-21, 02:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

We have an unfinished basement that tends to seep in the rainy season. Not enough to install a sump pump, but about once a winter I would have to shop vac about an inch of water in one corner. Then I got an "air mover" fan that I turn on once I notice some accumulation and it works great. It also makes a kick-ass trainer fan.
Old 02-17-21, 09:20 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
We have an unfinished basement that tends to seep in the rainy season. Not enough to install a sump pump, but about once a winter I would have to shop vac about an inch of water in one corner. Then I got an "air mover" fan that I turn on once I notice some accumulation and it works great. It also makes a kick-ass trainer fan.
Would a dehumidifier not be a good option? You can run it during the rainy season to prevent a build up of water. It will make the basement warmer though.
Old 02-17-21, 09:57 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Would a dehumidifier not be a good option? You can run it during the rainy season to prevent a build up of water. It will make the basement warmer though.
Good question, I don’t know. The water isn’t in the air, I don’t think. It seeps in through the concrete. And it isn’t that chronic of a problem. I can usually tell after a couple of days of rain, which only happens a few times a season.
Old 02-17-21, 10:08 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts

I have this one. Works really well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YKXF9VC/
+1 on the Lasko blower. I got one this year and it is waaaaaayy better than the box fan I had previously. Also compact to store, and easy to aim where you want it.
Old 02-18-21, 06:22 AM
rubiksoval

I have that one, too!

I have a box fan type thing on the floor angled up on my legs and torso, and then I have the Lasko at chest/head level about two feet away and only turn it on during hard rides/races. It moves a ton of air, so much that I don't like using it unless I'm putting out a good chunk of watts.
Likes For rubiksoval:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.