Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Click in pedal? But it's not?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-15, 07:47 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

This is the third set of pedals I've had on my Roam 2. All of them seem to have a click that is the right pedal when it hits the 3 o'clock position. I can feel and hear it. It's not really loud or intense, just enough to bug me. I currently have a new set of Click-R pedals on and they click too. It happens when I'm clipped in or not, wearing plain shoes and pedaling them like flat pedals. It does not happen when I pedal with the left pedal only. After 3 or 4 miles it seems to stop.

Here's what confuses me. This is the third set of pedals that does this. So I don't think it's the pedal. What else could it be? I have tried tightening all the bolts on the chain ring and the crank and they are all tight.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-21-15, 07:56 PM
reshp1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Front derailleur cable end hitting your foot?
Old 08-21-15, 08:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
There are many possible sources of crank area (and some only sounding like they're from the crank/pedal) clicks/creaks. Lots of threads in the history of this forum. But three sets of pedals with the same issue isn't the typical. perhaps you should look elsewhere. Any place that two pieces touch (bolted. swedged, drawn up a taper, threaded, rolling against each other, and more) are possible points of movement and noise. Think about how many are involved with the cranks/pedals. make a list and check it twice. Andy.
Old 08-21-15, 09:49 PM
ClarkinHawaii

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loose bearings in the bottom bracket? Any "jiggle" when you attempt to push a crankarm in and out against the frame?
Old 08-21-15, 10:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
I had a cartridge bottom bracket that creaked. I removed it, greased all the threads and metal-to-metal contact points and it was quiet... for a couple weeks. Then the noise came back. I did it again and it was quiet... for a couple weeks. Then the noise came back. On the fourth try, I put teflon tape on the threads. It's stayed quiet for a couple years now.

I think the bottom bracket threads are a teeny bit oversize, leading to movement and noise. The teflon tape is thick enough to stop the movement and rigid enough to not migrate away under normal pedaling pressure.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-22-15, 05:37 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by reshp1
Front derailleur cable end hitting your foot?
Shoelace hitting chainstay? Play in the saddle rail/saddle connection? Bad pedal threads in one or both crank arms? Bad threads in one or both sides of the bottom bracket shell? Plenty of possibilities, so start with the simplest first.
Old 08-22-15, 05:44 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Multiple, random guesses will not help you here, but rather logic and progressive elimination of causes is necessary. Logically, if you have changed pedals twice (and sufficiently tightened them) and the click persists, it can't be the pedals. You've also eliminated shoes and the front derailleur shift cable end hitting your foot (not a "click" sound at all) or the crank arm (would occur pedaling with either foot). The bottom bracket is not as likely, as most sounds caused by the BB are lower in pitch or more creak than click, and happen with either crank. The most likely culprit is the crank arm attachment to the spindle. If it's a square taper BB (shown with dust cap and fixing bolt removed) -

then the best course of action is to remove the right crank arm with an extractor, clean the spindle and mounting hole surfaces (fine steel wool) and then reinstall with sufficient torque - around 30-35 ft-lbs, or as tight as one can reasonable get with an 8 inch crescent wrench. If that does not work then you will need to remove all the chainwheel bolts, clean the mating surfaces in the same manner (also rinse the seats on the rings with some lube) and reinstall. If the problem was the crank arm then it's also best to loosen the left fixing bolt and re-torque.

Multiple, random guesses will not help you here, but rather logic and progressive elimination of causes is necessary. Logically, if you have changed pedals twice (and sufficiently tightened them) and the click persists, it can't be the pedals. You've also eliminated shoes and the front derailleur shift cable end hitting your foot (not a "click" sound at all) or the crank arm (would occur pedaling with either foot). The bottom bracket is not as likely, as most sounds caused by the BB are lower in pitch or more creak than click, and happen with either crank. The most likely culprit is the crank arm attachment to the spindle. If it's a square taper BB (shown with dust cap and fixing bolt removed) -

then the best course of action is to remove the right crank arm with an extractor, clean the spindle and mounting hole surfaces (fine steel wool) and then reinstall with sufficient torque - around 30-35 ft-lbs, or as tight as one can reasonable get with an 8 inch crescent wrench. If that does not work then you will need to remove all the chainwheel bolts, clean the mating surfaces in the same manner (also rinse the seats on the rings with some lube) and reinstall. If the problem was the crank arm then it's also best to loosen the left fixing bolt and re-torque.

May be helpful to know if the problem occurs on all chainrings or only certain ones. May have to ride smaller chainrings with the small cogs and/or uphill to check.
Attached Images

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 08-22-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 05:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I think the bottom bracket threads are a teeny bit oversize, leading to movement and noise. The teflon tape is thick enough to stop the movement and rigid enough to not migrate away under normal pedaling pressure.
Campagnolo actually used to offer oversize cups for this issue, but teflon tape is more available and affordable these days.

Old 08-22-15, 08:48 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you skip checking something because it "couldn't possibly be the problem", it will inevitably turn out to be the cause of the problem.
Old 08-22-15, 09:10 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
...... After 3 or 4 miles it seems to stop.
Is that also when you shift gears?
Old 08-22-15, 09:37 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Left crank hitting the kick stand?
Old 08-22-15, 10:29 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Left crank hitting the kick stand?
"It does not happen when I pedal with the left pedal only.."
Old 08-22-15, 10:32 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
"It does not happen when I pedal with the left pedal only.."
Because maybe the torque on the right arm is enough to move things around enough for a CLICK, not a clunk?
Old 08-22-15, 10:41 AM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
in the bottom of your cycling shoes are some internal steel tabs that your cleats screw into. They float around in there. There are sometimes more than one set for different cleats. The ones you don't use may be rattling around in there. I had that happen and it drove me nuts. I injected silicone into the space and it dried and locked down the loose ones and the clicking stopped. It is worth looking into as one possibility.
Old 08-22-15, 11:21 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Because maybe the torque on the right arm is enough to move things around enough for a CLICK, not a clunk?
I believe that if there is play in the BB pressure on the right crank arm at the 3:00 position would move the left crank arm away from the frame/kickstand on the left side
Old 08-22-15, 11:22 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by RISKDR1
in the bottom of your cycling shoes...
Again, need to look at what the OP has already done. Happens when "wearing plain shoes." Besides, rattling would likely be more random and would have no reason for going away after a few miles. The OP needs to do what I prescribed so as to either solve the problem or further narrow down possible causes. To do otherwise is just guessing, not diagnosis.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 08-22-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 02:59 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii
Loose bearings in the bottom bracket? Any "jiggle" when you attempt to push a crankarm in and out against the frame?
^This would be my guess..
Old 08-22-15, 04:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I believe that if there is play in the BB pressure on the right crank arm at the 3:00 position would move the left crank arm away from the frame/kickstand on the left side
I said torque, not play.
The frame might be twisting slightly.

IF there were play in the BB, it may still be possible if the OP is moving the bike from side to side while mashing.

Since the OP doesn't seem to feel like responding, we may never know.
Old 08-22-15, 04:18 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

...but then some find guessing entertaining, in case they are right. Kind of like picking numbers for the lottery. Takes no talent but fun if you win;.
Old 09-05-15, 05:21 PM
Rootman

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well, this is aggravating. I had to take a break for a few weeks due to work issues. I rode tonight and it's still there.

I swapped the pedals out with the original flats that came with the bike and rode in my old work shoes and the click was still there. It sounds like someone someone tapping a pencil on a shoe, it's faint sounding and not noticeable when there is traffic sounds or I am speaking with someone. At this point I am not ruling out that it is something in my foot snapping. I can definitely feel it in my foot, being that I have a little neuropathy in my feet I can't tell it's there and feel the slight feeling but can't identify where it emanates, the pedal or my foot.

I want to avoid pulling the bottom bracket as I have not extraction tools. I want to find someone else to ride it to rule or rule out that it's just me. Funny thing is I can pedal with my heel and it's still there. I can't repeat the sound by putting it on the work stand. even putting pressure on the tire to try and put a load on the drive train.

This is aggravating as hell. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-05-15, 06:23 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Check all the bolts- chainring bolts and crankarm fixing bolts. Tighten all of them 1/4 turn, just to see if something seats.

Bottom bracket/crank noises are very hard to track down and fix. As above, it can take several tries to track it down and fix it so it stays fixed.

Old 09-05-15, 07:50 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
At the 3 o'clock position, I'd suspect the crank is hitting the kickstand or chainstay.
Old 09-06-15, 11:56 AM
Rootman

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
At the 3 o'clock position, I'd suspect the crank is hitting the kickstand or chainstay.
Please re-read the first post, as I stated it does NOT happen when I pedal with just the left pedal, and if it was hitting the chainstay or kickstand it would happen all the time. I also stated I could not get get it to do it while on the work stand.

I've even tried to tighten all the bolts on the chainring and crank, they are already tight. This has me baffled.
Old 09-06-15, 08:55 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Please re-read the first post, as I stated it does NOT happen when I pedal with just the left pedal, and if it was hitting the chainstay or kickstand it would happen all the time. I also stated I could not get get it to do it while on the work stand.

I've even tried to tighten all the bolts on the chainring and crank, they are already tight. This has me baffled.
A loose kickstand would not happen all of the time. We have seen several similar cases when the kickstand was loose so it hit only intermittently. A light push could make the stand hit or not hit. Would drive the person nuts and the correlation really threw people off as it was intermittent... Sometimes only a slight tap that feels like a creek.

Good luck.

Last edited by dwmckee; 09-06-15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 08:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

OK- take them all off, grease the threads and any metal-to-metal surface, and reassemble. As Andy said above, any threaded or metal-to-metal interface that moves can create noise. Disassembly, cleaning everything, then reassembling with grease is the only way you'll be sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.