Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 12-16-20, 09:54 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
0 here this morning. Thinking I wanted to hike mountains regularly this winter feels a bit comical right now.
Old 12-16-20, 10:27 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
0 here this morning. Thinking I wanted to hike mountains regularly this winter feels a bit comical right now.
Yeah man... that's on you.

I've been out snowboarding in Jay in those conditions with windchill that brought it below zero. It was ******g awful. But hey... it was a day on the mountain. Probably spent as much time drinking ****ty beer at the bar as I did riding that day!
Old 12-16-20, 11:09 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Haven't measured how much we got, definitely on the low end of the forecast. It changed to sleet pretty early on. I'd say maybe 6 inches? Not bad.

The trash and recycling is still getting collected tomorrow, so I put my cans out.

The plows said 'F that' and knocked them all over, we had to go collect recycling from all up and down the street where it had blown to. I shoveled out a flat space on the grass, put them far back from the road, and built a mound beside them to stabilize them.

I heard the plow again a minute ago so I'll go check and see if it worked soon.

The funny thing is that the plow trucks are the garbage trucks, they just don't stop and collect while they're plowing.
Old 12-17-20, 09:10 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Haven't measured how much we got, definitely on the low end of the forecast. It changed to sleet pretty early on. I'd say maybe 6 inches? Not bad.

The trash and recycling is still getting collected tomorrow, so I put my cans out.

The plows said 'F that' and knocked them all over, we had to go collect recycling from all up and down the street where it had blown to. I shoveled out a flat space on the grass, put them far back from the road, and built a mound beside them to stabilize them.

I heard the plow again a minute ago so I'll go check and see if it worked soon.

The funny thing is that the plow trucks are the garbage trucks, they just don't stop and collect while they're plowing.
LOL. Nope. Plow knocked them over again. Not as much spilled it looks like. The trash guys picked them all up, then got the trash with their robot arm, but then the plow came yet again and knocked the recycling over. Couple things spilled, but I'm busy at work at the moment.

Not sure how I was supposed to do a better job than I did. The plows just throw a lot of snow, at like 30 mph, not much is gonna stay standing.
Old 12-17-20, 12:38 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
We got somewhere between 18 and 24 inches I think. I spent a couple of hours shoveling a path from our front door to the street. Then a neighbor took pity on me and finished off my driveway with his snowblower. Super rad!
Old 12-17-20, 01:37 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
We got somewhere between 18 and 24 inches I think. I spent a couple of hours shoveling a path from our front door to the street. Then a neighbor took pity on me and finished off my driveway with his snowblower. Super rad!
I did a first pass with my little electric 18" snowblower last night, and then just went out for about 2 hours. Maybe 1.25 were playing with the kids, 45 minutes was clearing a path as best I could for the car to get out and then the sidewalk. Sidewalk get snow tossed on it from the plows, and with that plus my clearing it last night, the bottom inch is hard pack and ice that I can't clear, but whatever. Good enough to walk on.
Old 12-17-20, 02:22 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
My routine today: 2hrs on the bike 3x20 sweet spot and 90mins shoveling (all manual). My wife got an electric snowthrower a couple of years ago but it's pretty useless as far as navigating with the extension cord, so I never use it.
Old 12-17-20, 02:58 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
My routine today: 2hrs on the bike 3x20 sweet spot and 90mins shoveling (all manual). My wife got an electric snowthrower a couple of years ago but it's pretty useless as far as navigating with the extension cord, so I never use it.
I bought a 100 foot cold weather cord, and I have outlets down by the end of the driveway on our brick pedestal light things (we fancy) so I can reach everything I need to (at least when the Christmas lights are up, because that gives me another 10 feet, otherwise I come up just short at the end of the sidewalk, the frontage is about 115 feet and the driveway is almost touching one edge of the property).

I do alright with cord management keeping it out of my way, but I've certainly heard others have issues. My main issue is that it isn't powerful enough to move big heavy snow. It does really, really well with 4 inches of fluffy stuff. But 9 inches of icy, heavy stuff that the plows tossed onto the driveway becomes a chore, but still better than by hand.
Old 12-17-20, 04:07 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Today was my last day of work for the year, I'll be back on the 4th, which currently feels very, very far away but I'm sure will be here soon.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 12-17-20, 05:01 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

North country guy here. We got a dusting. Granted the high today was like 10, and yesterday I woke up to zero. We probably won't break freezing until May.

I live in winter.
Old 12-17-20, 08:03 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
​​​​​​
Odd thing with some forms of tremor is it only is a problem when you're not doing something. I've heard of surgeons that shake but when they go into the OR they are steady.
Happens with tourettes too!
Old 12-17-20, 08:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Happens with tourettes too!
Boxing trainer Freddie Roach has Parkinson Syndrome and he tremors and stutters but when he puts the punch mitts on and gets in the ring with his fighter he moves very well. At least the last time I saw him on tv he did. He said it was due to the level of concentration.
Old 12-18-20, 09:45 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Finally feel like playing my guitar a bit tonight, after like 4 years or something. No sound. Check the jack, wire is broken. No biggie. Get out the soldering iron and after a very frustrating 45 minutes of fighting with an awful, old, weak, cheap, oxidized soldering iron, finally get both wires cleaned up and landed (and order a new iron).

Still no sound. ****. Took off the back panel, nothing obviously wrong. Time to break out the multimeter, but I suspect a broken wire at the pickups, or a roasted jack.

Spent an hour and didn't get to play. We have other guitars, but I wanted to play my nice one.
Old 12-20-20, 01:07 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by big john
Boxing trainer Freddie Roach has Parkinson Syndrome and he tremors and stutters but when he puts the punch mitts on and gets in the ring with his fighter he moves very well. At least the last time I saw him on tv he did. He said it was due to the level of concentration.
The additional visual simulation helps some of the 'freezing'. They actually use canes that can project some light for this exact purpose to help folks walk longer!
Old 12-20-20, 09:14 AM
big john

The additional visual simulation helps some of the 'freezing'. They actually use canes that can project some light for this exact purpose to help folks walk longer!
It seems the symptoms vary from day to day with some people. I saw Michael J. Fox on two different interviews over about a two week period and his symptoms were much more pronounced in one.
I wonder how Davis Phinney is doing.

Last edited by big john; 12-20-20 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-20-20, 12:07 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

This is the time of year that I remember that I really love snowboarding and try to rearrange stuff to get as much hill time as possible while trying to train a bit during the week to maintain fitness and maybe j improve a hair.

It seems the symptoms vary from day to day with some people. I saw Michael J. Fox on two different interviews over about a two week period and his symptoms were much more pronounced in one.
I wonder how Davis Phinney is doing.
Yeah it can be pretty variable (stress, sleep, etc) and can be pretty drastic based on medication timing. The pump has been a huge boon to some patients. I had one patient who had to have his removed due to an infection and it was just awful seeing him frozen between doses since we were maxed out.
Old 12-20-20, 02:46 PM
big john

This is the time of year that I remember that I really love snowboarding and try to rearrange stuff to get as much hill time as possible while trying to train a bit during the week to maintain fitness and maybe j improve a hair.

Yeah it can be pretty variable (stress, sleep, etc) and can be pretty drastic based on medication timing. The pump has been a huge boon to some patients. I had one patient who had to have his removed due to an infection and it was just awful seeing him frozen between doses since we were maxed out.
The pump? Is that the thing they implant in the brain?. I remember Davis had surgery so he could go watch his son race in Bejing. Prior to that he wasn't able to button his shirt. I saw him in an interview after that and he looked like he was doing well.
Old 12-20-20, 02:55 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

The pump? Is that the thing they implant in the brain?. I remember Davis had surgery so he could go watch his son race in Bejing. Prior to that he wasn't able to button his shirt. I saw him in an interview after that and he looked like he was doing well.
Yeah, deep brain stimulation and there's a dopamine pump coming out afaik. The patient I'm thinking of had DBS iirc.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 12-21-20, 10:03 AM
big john

Writer Roy Wallack died Saturday after a crash on one of my favorite mountain bike trails. I never rode with him but I chatted with him years ago when he would come to our club meetings. My ex and I used part of a route he recommended when we toured around Oregon. It had much more climbing than his book made it sound like so she wanted to give him some crap about it when we saw him again. He took it in stride and we told him we enjoyed the route despite the extra work.

IN MEMORIUM: (THE WILD, CRAZY & LOVED ) ROY WALLACK | Road Bike Action
Old 12-21-20, 11:08 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I hate it when you order something online, pay extra for it to be overnighted, and the seller is like, "Lets hold on to this for a week, and then overnight it..."
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 12-21-20, 12:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

We got rid of prime because amazon started doing that where we live. It'll take 7-8 days to get something. Complain and they say 'it gets there two days after we ship it.' Order something without prime and it takes 7-8 days to get it.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 12-21-20, 07:39 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
We got rid of prime because amazon started doing that where we live. It'll take 7-8 days to get something. Complain and they say 'it gets there two days after we ship it.' Order something without prime and it takes 7-8 days to get it.
Meanwhile, near civilization, we often get things the same day or next day from Amazon, it's crazy fast sometimes.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 12-22-20, 05:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Meanwhile, near civilization, we often get things the same day or next day from Amazon, it's crazy fast sometimes.
Distribution center is right near you. My impression is that they closed the one closest to us, because we used to always get things in two days.
Old 12-22-20, 09:02 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Just got the first dose of the vaccine.

🙃
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 12-22-20, 10:16 AM
big john

Just got the first dose of the vaccine.

🙃
Did your arm fall off or did you sprout a third eye? You know Gates can track you now?
Likes For big john:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.