Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Abandoned GT Pulse

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Abandoned GT Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 09:42 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot

which could be a felony .
Indeed, and he'd commit another two by days' end (as do we all).

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonie.../dp/1594035229
Old 06-22-19, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would post up a note. Couldn't hurt but that tape job is terrible. They must have tried to wrap it realized they failed and said I am going to leave it somewhere and hope it never ends up anywhere and just bought a new one with better wrapped tape.
Old 06-23-19, 02:28 PM
StirFry

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Last edited by StirFry; 06-23-19 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-23-19, 03:27 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
The bike is chained to the Trek. It appears that the Trek tires are still pumped so it's likely being used. A note on both that you're interested and want to talk with the owner could help.

You say that the GT hasn't been moved...has the Trek been moved?
Old 06-23-19, 08:13 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Leave a note at all apartments.
Old 06-23-19, 08:20 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
The bike is chained to the Trek. It appears that the Trek tires are still pumped so it's likely being used. A note on both that you're interested and want to talk with the owner could help.

You say that the GT hasn't been moved...has the Trek been moved?
I've been keeping an eye in both and neither has moved an inch. Both are caked in dust. The treks tires are flat but they're just stiffer and more substantial so its harder to tell.

Originally Posted by 02Giant
Leave a note at all apartments.
This building has well over 100 apartments
Old 06-23-19, 08:45 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
I've been keeping an eye in both and neither has moved an inch. Both are caked in dust. The treks tires are flat but they're just stiffer and more substantial so its harder to tell.

That complicates the challenge!
Old 06-23-19, 09:31 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

@StirFry Quality post
Likes For PeopleAreIdiots:
Old 06-27-19, 04:58 PM
Bat56

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots

So by my math that’s a bit over 100 notes. Do you want this bike or not?

a pad of pre-printed sticky notes and an afternoon. You’ll be golden.
Old 06-27-19, 05:27 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
So by my math that’s a bit over 100 notes. Do you want this bike or not?

a pad of pre-printed sticky notes and an afternoon. You’ll be golden.
Im not advocating wrangling out a “finders keepers” ownership of the bike, but considering the potential ‘prize’, that seems like relatively little effort, to be completely blunt. Especially if the owner still resides there, and could be open to selling it.
Old 10-11-20, 04:53 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Update 10/11/20

For those of you interested in the conclusion of this story, here it is:

So in the original post of this thread from june 2019, I said that I had been periodically checking up on this seemingly abandoned GT pulse in my appartment building's bike room.

After the discussion we had in the thread above, I ended up taking a conservative approach to avoid making the owner feel harassed if they were just storing the bike down there and hadn't used it in a while. I just left a note on the bike itself with my number and an offer to buy the bike from the owner if they were interested.

Another year goes by and nothing. I asked the management company on multiple occasions if they had any info about the owner or any policy about clearing out abandoned or obviously disused bikes and they basically told me to get lost.

Then COVID hit...
I'm sure most of you have noticed the extreme uptick in new bike riders in the last few months. Well the COVID bike craze hit my building hard. Suddenly there were a bunch of tenants who used their stimulus checks to buy a new bike and had nowhere to park it in our overcrowded bike room. Finally, I get an email from the management about a month ago informing the tenants that they are finally doing a bike room audit. Any bike that was not claimed by the end of the audit would be disposed of.

I bet you can see where this is going. Audit ends and it turns out that the GT was abandoned after all. I went to the management and asked them if I could have it and they just gave it to me! FOR FREE!!!

Here's a picture of the bike in its original state right they cut the lock and let me take it:

Looks to be a size 54, perfect size for me. Weird cushiony saddle, strangely tall stem, and janky bar tape but the bike is in fantastic condition, just quite dusty. Its only got a few minor scuffs and paint chips on the chain stays, no dents. Coming from steel, this feels incredibly light. Under 17lbs using the bathroom scale (w/ pedals.)

As you may have seen from the original set of pictures I posted, the bike is outfitted with all Dura Ace components, right down to the bottom bracket and the headset. The drivetrain still runs very smoothly. I may replace the chain but its not immediately necessary. The ratio is 49/15.

This is definitely a bike built for the track. Tubular tires front and back. Dura Ace hubs still run buttery smooth.

3t pista bars. Nice but I'm not a huge fan.

To my surprise, the tires took air and had no leaks so I took it out for a little ride to the lake!

I replaced the saddle with the one that was on my beater, a rock hard selle italia racing saddle I got from my dad's parts bin (my taint is not a huge fan). I lowered the stem as far as it would go and put on my crappy chop and flops since they're the only non-31.8mm bars I have at the moment. Finally I just stuck on my beat to crap track pedals with duct tape straps (again from my beater) just for that ride. The thing rides like a hot knife through butter. Definitely a different beast from my wabi. I'm so pumped!

Future plans:
So far I'd like to replace the saddle with something more comfortable but still befitting of the bike's 90's racey looks.

I also want to replace the cockpit. The stem is too definitely tall and I'd like some nicer bars. I'll be riding this bike on the street so I don't need the aggressiveness of track drops. Bullhorns ride nicely on there from what I can tell so far. Lets see.

Finally, as much as I love the tubular tires, I'm concerned about their durability for non-track use. It seems like I'd be able to fit at least a 28c tire on the rear so I might go with a nice durable 25 or 28c gatorskin or something at least.

And thus concludes the abandoned GT Pulse story! I'm still pinching myself. I can't believe I got this lucky! Do you guys have any thoughts on how I should build this awesome bike up? (I mean honestly its already close to perfect if you ask me).

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 10-12-20 at 01:23 AM.
Likes For PeopleAreIdiots:
Old 10-11-20, 05:20 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Niccce
Old 10-11-20, 07:18 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
HAPPY ENDING with credits ......................... you are 1 out of 000000000000000 who can look back on 2020 with a smile
Old 10-12-20, 12:52 AM
Altimis

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unbelievable, this bike is truly abandoned? that not really looks abandon, I thought owner is on something and will be back for this poor girl later. One year without news, that's sad.
Old 10-12-20, 02:37 AM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Now, what do you do if its former owner spots you out riding it? With your luck, they've certainly moved to Antarctica and are currently frozen for all of eternity in a massive glacier(assuming global warming is a myth).
Old 10-12-20, 12:58 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Originally Posted by Altimis
Unbelievable, this bike is truly abandoned?
Originally Posted by th3realmckay
Now, what do you do if its former owner spots you out riding it?
its too good to be true right?!

I mean this thing was dusty and full if cobwebs even back when I moved into this building 2.5 years ago. I always kinda assumed it was a track rider's old bike that they had since replaced with something newer and nicer that they kept in their appartment or something. But I guess not. The management company didn't just send an email too, they posted bulletins on everyone's door. So, in my mind, the owner has definitely moved away.

My guess is that they were a track rider before they had kids (the bike was locked to a womens bike and a little kids bike) and then they either got a new bike (no pedals on the GT) or just stopped track riding. If I remember correctly, there used to be a velodrome in the area that closed a few years ago.
Old 03-14-21, 09:03 PM
PeopleAreIdiots

Update 3/14/21

Been swapping around some parts this winter. Just took it out yesterday for the first time this year as the roads are finally dry!