Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single speed Rider about to do first Fixie Ride..need Advice..

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Single speed Rider about to do first Fixie Ride..need Advice..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 08:39 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
The original owner of your bike might not have been what some of us consider a serious cyclist. Back before the inverted dropped bar became the symbol of the court-ordered cycling program, lots of casual riders set their bikes up that way during the Great Bike Boom of the early 70s. Interestingly enough, there are photos of professional track racers with their bars set up this way - but only during the hours of a Six-Day Race when the audience had gone home, and someone had to keep circling the track, though casually and at low speed. I dimly remember seeing a photo of a racer with his bars set just so and reading a newspaper while lazily circling the track.

Yes, you WILL want to spin briskly down hills, but I have had the best success just trying to hang with the rpms that gravity induces, or perhaps "floating" my feet along with the pedals. It's not some big resistance thing, though there is some resistance, it's rather letting the natural gravitational weight of my own legs help damp the speed of the cranks. I still work to be smooth about it. Count me in among those using foot retention. I had stopped using clipless pedals on fixed-gears in 2000 after a nasty crash, and I used clips and straps exclusively until this year. I feel confident in the pedals I am using now (Crank Brothers Egg Beaters) and they have worked beautifully AND given me more ground clearance in turns.

Of course you may have to stand and pedal or wrestle and grunt your way up the hill! There is one particularly nasty and mercifully short climb on one of my favorite routes that requires that I dance on the pedals - and it is a sloooooow dance that I do well to maintain 4.5 mph near the top. This is the same hill that has me spinning around 200 rpm at the bottom if I ride it in reverse. It's okay, it can be done, and on 26 mile rides with 1200 feet of elevation gain or so it falls just shy of the halfway mark.

Part of the joy of fixed is that opportunity to use legs and body at all sorts of cadences, from the spinny spin-spin-spin down hills to the grunting up the hills with Bruce Springsteen in your head singing "Stand On It." You get to use your entire physical being to muscle up that rascal.

FWIW, this is why I have my dropped handlebars set up the way the old manuals suggested, tops of the bars level with or within one inch of the saddle height and two conventional hooded road brake levers. I use every single bit of the real estate on those bars to move my body around and enlist different muscle groups in different ways, and it helps.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-21, 03:45 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
I am about one week from.finishing a Fixed Gear bike with a rear cog,no freewheel. I am scared about the really steep hills we have in my area. My question is, can I use the pedals to slow the bike by trying to reverse pedal them? On some of these hills you can really go fast. I am so nervous. I mounted two brakes. Any advice on descending steep hills would be appreciated.
I don't understand what there is to be "nervous" about.

If properly geared and you know how to spin, not much can go wrong.

If you are building a fixed gear bicycle, then the minimalist approach appeals to you. That's basically the whole point. So it makes little sense to install brakes, foot retention etc. because then it defeats the purpose of the fixed gear build. If you are going to do all that, just have a freewheeling single speed bike.

I have been riding fixed gear bikes exclusively for about 5 years...100miles per week. Never had any brakes, no foot retention......No problems.
Old 02-25-21, 04:04 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by TugaDude
+1 on foot retention!

Also, the OP mentioned "reverse pedal". Pedaling in reverse is only possible if the bike has come to a stop, so I'm sure what you meant was what is sometimes called "back pedaling" and even that is somewhat of a misnomer. I'm not sure what to call it, but what I do is give the crank a little "back pressure" every time it comes around. I'm sure everyone has their own technique, but I tend to add that back pressure on one side only, in my case, the right side. It is just the way I learned. I didn't have anything to learn from, just came up with it on my own. It works OK for me. The other technique is to develop what they call "spaghetti legs", where you stop actively pedaling forward and make your legs go somewhat limp, offering resistance to the cranks in the process. This will also slow you down.

Neither is a substitute for good brakes! Make sure you have brakes, plural, at least in the beginning. If you decide, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, you can get by with a front brake alone. In my opinion, you should just keep them both.

I've said this before but I love to take a long ride and try to never have to use my brakes. I'm often successful and when I'm done, it brings a big smile to my face. Not because I'm saving brake pads, but just because!
It's not about pedaling in reverse. It's about adding resistance to the forward motion of the pedals as you described.

Buuuut....this whole foot retention and brakes thing. I find it useless and purpose defeating. A rear brake on a fixed gear bike is a bit ridiculous because often times the rear wheel needs to move around to set chain tension....there goes your alignment with the brake caliper. Foot retention.....from time to time I need to momentarily lift my feet from the pedals and let the pedals spin. "Fixie freewheeling" so-to-speak. I do this on steep downhills that are followed by steep uphills. I speed up then slow back down at which point I can begin pedaling again. Also from time to time when there is a lot of wind pushing me on a straightaway. I get going too fast, so I "fixie freewheel" momentarily. Front brake........OK...so, no major downside here other than it goes contrary to the whole appeal that fixed gear riding has to offer. Which is that fixed gear riding requires the bare minimum amount of parts for it to operate. It is the perfect bike for the minimalist. Adding a front brake is not what a minimalist would want. If you are going to ride like that you might as well ride a freewheeling single speed or anything else.

So, I get it. Better to have this stuff and not need it than need it and not have it. It add safety. I understand all that. But my experience is that it would take a serious amount of operator error to end up in a position where foot retention and brakes are needed to avoid danger. Someone this careless should not be riding fixed at all.
Old 02-25-21, 08:03 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
We had snow, and then heavy rain and winds and debris on the road. Branches, pine cones, all kinds of slop. Don't see any people riding any kind of bike now, I'm the only out there on my non fixed SS Bianchi every day.
I tried to pay attention to how much I coast. Truthfully , not that much, because when you go down a big hill, a bigger one is coming, and you have to keep pumping away to build speed for the next one.When I finally hit a level patch and I need to catch a breath. I slow mo pedal a few seconds.
Insofar as being nervous, I think it's okay. It's better than being arrogant , right ?
Next week at this time, I'll know! Flat Handlebars are here.
Old 02-25-21, 08:54 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
During the years I was riding and commuting exclusively fixed, I used a front brake and toe clips, and no one will ever convince me that I was somehow compromising the experience or defeating the purpose. The appeal of riding fixed is not limited to the bare-bones simplicity aspect.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-26-21, 03:55 AM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
I doubt anyone has ever changed sides in the brakes/no brakes discussion as a result of listening to the other side's reasons. It seems to be more of a philosophy/attitude thing and none of us are rational. For example, I would not ride my bike on the road without brakes but I try never to use them. However, I ride unicycles on and off road and am one of the small percentage of "serious" distance unicyclists who refuses to fit a brake.

I did a lovely little ride on my fixed bike yesterday. Just over 21 miles, 700 feet of elevation slowly gained and rapidly "ungained" on the way back. The one big hill on the way out required one stop to get my breath, and at times I was climbing at barely walking pace. On the way back down, on a less steep road, I briefly hit 28 mph, which I think is a peak cadence of around 140 rpm. I'm 58, unfit, have a sedentary job, and ride with no foot retention, but I never touched the brakes. It took some effort and planning on on the descent though: choosing when to stop resisting and to go with the flow without the risk of "spinning out".
Old 02-26-21, 06:01 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
We Have Bigger Hills Then You Do

Here in Colorado, we have some very big hills! The key is to relax. If the hills are really scary, then flip the wheel and coast down. (You do have a flip/flop hub, right?) Folks have even rode across the country on fixed gear so no worries.
Old 02-26-21, 11:09 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
It's not about pedaling in reverse. It's about adding resistance to the forward motion of the pedals as you described.

Buuuut....this whole foot retention and brakes thing. I find it useless and purpose defeating. A rear brake on a fixed gear bike is a bit ridiculous because often times the rear wheel needs to move around to set chain tension....there goes your alignment with the brake caliper. Foot retention.....from time to time I need to momentarily lift my feet from the pedals and let the pedals spin. "Fixie freewheeling" so-to-speak. I do this on steep downhills that are followed by steep uphills. I speed up then slow back down at which point I can begin pedaling again. Also from time to time when there is a lot of wind pushing me on a straightaway. I get going too fast, so I "fixie freewheel" momentarily. Front brake........OK...so, no major downside here other than it goes contrary to the whole appeal that fixed gear riding has to offer. Which is that fixed gear riding requires the bare minimum amount of parts for it to operate. It is the perfect bike for the minimalist. Adding a front brake is not what a minimalist would want. If you are going to ride like that you might as well ride a freewheeling single speed or anything else.

So, I get it. Better to have this stuff and not need it than need it and not have it. It add safety. I understand all that. But my experience is that it would take a serious amount of operator error to end up in a position where foot retention and brakes are needed to avoid danger. Someone this careless should not be riding fixed at all.
Adjusting your rear brake after moving the wheel is not difficult at all. I don't see that as being problematic. YMMV.
Old 02-26-21, 11:20 AM
Rolla

Adjusting your rear brake after moving the wheel is not difficult at all.
It's also completely unnecessary to adjust it. On any singlespeed bike with horizontal dropouts/track ends, you have to pull the wheel back to set the chain tension -- and that rim position is where your brake pads are already aligned to. The only time you might have to fuss with brake position adjustment is when you change the cog/chainring/chain length.
Old 02-26-21, 11:36 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Rolla
It's also completely unnecessary to adjust it. On any singlespeed bike with horizontal dropouts/track ends, you have to pull the wheel back to set the chain tension -- and that rim position is where your brake pads are already aligned to. The only time you might have to fuss with brake position adjustment is when you change the cog/chainring/chain length.
I don't know what bikes you own, but on all of mine, when I move the axle back the rim comes along with it.
Old 02-26-21, 12:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
One advantage of horizontal dropouts over track ends is that the vertical position of the rim relative to the brake pads changes little as the hub slides along the dropout. And if you are building a frame from scratch, you could do this. (Notice the long dropout angled at 11 degrees and the deep Velocity Aero rim. I can use any cog from 12 teeth to 24 teeth without changing chain length and the brake pad stays on the rim. The pad is pretty low with the 24 but how fast are you going to go in a 42-24? 200 RPM is 14 MPH! I have less angle to this dropout than a standard dropout because I wanted to minimize BB drop as I slide the wheel back. The fastest and most consequential pedal strike corners will be happening on the tiny cogs with the wheel pushed all the way back.)

This bike has seen mountains. Biggest single day was twice to the Crater Lake rim, twice down and around. 9800'. Five Cycle Oregons. It is a true road bike, not an adopted track bike or a road-ish designed track-like bike. Conceived of and built as a fix gear road bike; one that could handle real hills and be ridable by a 60 year old.

It has excellent brakes front and rear. Levers chosen to be excellent handles for climbing - see above. Toeclips, quality leather straps and the shoes have deep slot aluminum cleats. Flip-flop hub, fixed on both sides. In the mountains I carry a chainwhip as well as the Pedros Trixie wrench/spanner (under the tool bag). When this photo was taken I had the 17 and 23 on the hub and a 12 hanging from the tool bag. (I messed up on this hill and didn't stop and flip the wheel so you see me going up 14% on the 17.)

I'm not posting this to boast. I'm posting to show a fix gear where brakes and foot retention are a real part of the ride (and what a ride!) This bike allows me to ride fixed in some of the most spectacular places on earth (thank you Cycle Oregon!) Climb the hills this born mountain goat loves. Go down those hills fast and enjoy it without taking a baseball bat to my undersides. (Less fun at 60.) And do it all without coasting. (Yes, I do stop. Just like the old days. 2 minutes to flip the wheel, ~5 to swap cogs. I do plan my rides with those stops in mind. And there are rides I won't do on this bike - like the Oregon coast! Once was enough! Those hills are for 25 year old fools like I once was.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-26-21, 01:24 PM
Rolla

I don't know what bikes you own, but on all of mine, when I move the axle back the rim comes along with it.
I don't know what bikes you own, but on all of mine, the chain is a fixed length. So the rim ends up in the same position relative to the brake pads when I move the axle back to tension the chain.

Last edited by Rolla; 02-26-21 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 03:06 PM
TugaDude

I don't know what bikes you own, but on all of mine, the chain is a fixed length. So the rim ends up in the same position relative to the brake pads when I move the axle back to tension the chain.
This has become a silly debate. Sorry I said anything. But for the record, this is what you said.

"A rear brake on a fixed gear bike is a bit ridiculous because often times the rear wheel needs to move around to set chain tension....there goes your alignment with the brake caliper"

So does it move, or doesn't it?
Old 02-26-21, 03:21 PM
mrmb

Fixed length means having a set length that never varies......

I don't know what chains you are using, but all of mine stretch over time with use. As the chain stretches, the axle, hub, rim, tire, cog, axle nuts, tube etc. all slide back a little. There goes your brake pad to rim alignment.

Or you could just dump the brakes...

Unless this is a magic gear with vertical dropouts, but thats another story.
Old 02-26-21, 03:37 PM
Rolla

This has become a silly debate. Sorry I said anything. But for the record, this is what you said.

"A rear brake on a fixed gear bike is a bit ridiculous because often times the rear wheel needs to move around to set chain tension....there goes your alignment with the brake caliper"
It's especially silly because -- for the record -- you're quoting mrmb, not me.
Old 02-26-21, 03:44 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by mrmb
I don't know what chains you are using, but all of mine stretch over time with use. As the chain stretches, the axle, hub, rim, tire, cog, axle nuts, tube etc. all slide back a little. There goes your brake pad to rim alignment.
Most of these gradual changes only "stretch" the chain by a mm or so, which shouldn't affect brake pad position enough to warrant an adjustment. If your chain has stretched more than that, you should probably replace your chain rather than reposition the brake pads.

Last edited by Rolla; 02-26-21 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 04:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike
Don't use clips on the first ride
Terrible advice, that last thing you want is to be disconnected from your pedals, especially at speed. At least the OP has brakes.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-26-21, 04:15 PM
TugaDude

It's especially silly because -- for the record -- you're quoting mrmb, not me.
My bad.
Old 02-26-21, 04:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Terrible advice, that last thing you want is to be disconnected from your pedals, especially at speed. At least the OP has brakes.
+1. Crashes are bad at speed but (if you are wearing a helmet) probably less long-term life altering than being hit in the Achilles by that pedal.

I won't use clipless on my fix gears because when I am spinning fast, I have non idea how straight my foot is on the pedal and I am not going to look down. I have unclipped a few times with toeclips but the good thing is that when my foot comes out, it is still in the toestrap. My heartrate goes to max, I dip on the brake, slide my foot forward and then it's like nothing happened.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-26-21, 04:21 PM
Mikefule

That's only one opinion among many. I've ridden thousands of miles on and off road on road and gravel bikes, tandems, occasionally mountain bikes, and unicycles, commuting, touring, camping, club rides, and general leisure riding. For many years, I did regular days over 100 miles. I happily ride without any form of foot retention other than pinned pedals. Never a problem. Each to his own: mine is just one opinion based on several decades of riding. Foot retention is an option with pros and cons.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 02-26-21, 06:16 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Two brakes are the way to go (in case one breaks). I think it's good to use them as a learning tool rather than normal bike braking. You'll soon develop a "sense" of how to control a descent without too much breaking. I find it fun using less and less brakes but I'll never be a skid stopper.
Old 02-26-21, 10:56 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
That's only one opinion among many. I've ridden thousands of miles on and off road on road and gravel bikes, tandems, occasionally mountain bikes, and unicycles, commuting, touring, camping, club rides, and general leisure riding. For many years, I did regular days over 100 miles. I happily ride without any form of foot retention other than pinned pedals. Never a problem. Each to his own: mine is just one opinion based on several decades of riding. Foot retention is an option with pros and cons.
Funny how you don't mention FIXED gear...which is what this thread is all about. You can ride anything that can coast w/ flat pedals...you ride fixed you should be clipped in.
Old 02-27-21, 01:33 AM
Mikefule

Funny how you don't mention FIXED gear...which is what this thread is all about. You can ride anything that can coast w/ flat pedals...you ride fixed you should be clipped in.
Sorry, I probably assumed that went without saying. Most of my riding over the last 10 years has been on the fixed gear or the unicycles (which are also fixed). I've ridden my fixed bike every day this week, for example, and the geared bike has not been out of the garage for weeks.
Old 03-01-21, 08:22 PM
urban_cyclist

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Take corners and bumps slow! Slower than normal.

Keep a close eye out for bumps.

Spend your first ride or two, in an empty parking lot. You’ll be glad you did.
Likes For urban_cyclist:
Old 03-07-21, 01:04 PM
GianJeric

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy

Foot retention on fixed gear is totally different from bikes that can coast. If you lose grip on fixed, you can lose control and possibly get hurt by the rotating pedals. Plus, you lose any ability to slow the bike unless you have brakes. Another good reason to have brakes.
Just keep practicing eventually you can be familiar with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.