Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Pista Gang Green Crankset

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 03-16-21, 01:06 PM
joeybbal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I was looking into upgrading my current crankset and bottom bracket. I was wondering what other people would recommend? I love this bike, but sometimes I feel like I'm putting in way more power then I should for little output. The factory crankset is 130 bcd and 3/32" with a 48 tooth cog. Can I throw a 144 bcd on this frame? If you were to recommend a 130 crankset and cog between 46 - 48 teeth what would you go with? Any particular bottom bracket?

Thanks
Old 03-16-21, 02:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by joeybbal
sometimes I feel like I'm putting in way more power then I should for little output. The factory crankset is 130 bcd and 3/32" with a 48 tooth cog. Can I throw a 144 bcd on this frame?
You can use any BCD you want, but the BCD is immaterial to power output. Your bike may have 165mm crankarms, which are good for cornering when riding fixed, but they don't provide as much leverage as longer ones.

If you were to recommend a 130 crankset and cog between 46 - 48 teeth what would you go with?
The number of teeth on the chainring depends on what size cog you're running on the wheel. Your terrain, leg speed, and strength are the factors in determining a comfortable and efficient gear combo.

Any particular bottom bracket?
If you get a new crankset, get the BB that the crankset manufacturer specifies. If you're keeping the same crankset, get a BB with the same shell width and spindle length as your current BB.

I used Sugino RD cranks and a Shimano UN72 square-taper bottom bracket on my Pista, but they're nothing fancy.

Last edited by Rolla; 03-16-21 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-17-21, 09:29 AM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I like Andels when it comes to not trying to spend a lot of money on a crankset but want something solid. I'm not sure what you mean by not getting enough out of what you're putting in. But have you tried different gear ratio's by switching cogs before changing out your whole drive train?
Old 03-21-21, 07:27 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Are you saying that you think you are losing power because you are flexing the 130 crank and want a 144 to take care of that? Because if so, you should just ask your team mechanic because you should be racing pro.

I have found it is easier to find 1/8" chainrings at 144, and my go-to square-taper crank is the All-City 612, which can be had for about $100 these days. Square taper are nice because the bottom brackets are super cheap, super easy to find and install, and having a couple on hand lets you dial in your chainline.
Old 03-22-21, 09:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I gotta admit I like Gang Green. I don't really do drugs or drink often but I love the song Alcohol immensely. It is that raw snotty punk sound you just gotta love. Plus Joe Gittleman the bass fiddleman played in the band before The Bosstones.

Me personally I like external bearing cranks these days. They are easy to work on and plenty stiff and such. If you got the cash Sugino 75 Direct Drive is a good option or if not I believe Andel makes something that will do the trick.