Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Racks on Carbon Frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Racks on Carbon Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 12:15 PM
mwhabe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Racks on Carbon Frame?

Hey...I am new here b/c I wanted input from some seasoned bike packers please. I have a Specialized Diverge Carbon Gravel bike and was planning on putting the Tailfin X Series Carbon Rack with Panniers on the back of my bike.
It mounts through the thru-axle.

Specialized said this particular item is not compatible with my bike, however I was under the impression that people use racks on carbon bikes all the time. Are there rules for what you can and can not use? I know the weight limitations, however now I am questioning my choice. I love my carbon bike but I am starting to get nervous about it's fragility.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
Old 03-18-21, 12:19 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Does not the Diverge have built-in mounts for a traditional rack? Maybe it's just that particular rack or the way it mounts that specialized doesn't agree with.
Old 03-18-21, 12:26 PM
mwhabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well yes, however the guy at the bike shop originally told me NO...so I started researching other options. Now I realize yes it can. However I don't understand the issue with this one going in the thru-axle. Isn't that pretty supportive?
Old 03-18-21, 12:34 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Maybe you can get more details on why not? I have a Tailfin X series on order for my Roubaix. I was concerned about stress on the carbon seat post but on the Tailfin site they say it should work fine for aero carbon posts. I am using the through-axle mount since the Roubaix has no pannier mounts.

I don't see how there could be a problem other than Specialized or your dealer not understanding the product and wanting to CYA for any potential warranty claims.
Old 03-18-21, 12:43 PM
mwhabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scott thank you. I am not familiar with your bike...I assume your frame and seat post are both carbon? As are mine. Looks like it may be a trial and error learning curve for both of us when our goodies come in the mail! As you know all the reviews are awesome however I can't find any that specify having used on a carbon bike (although I am sure they have been all over the world). I will respond to Specialized again and ask...however it's like pulling teeth and getting one sentence responses.

Thank you.
Old 03-18-21, 12:46 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Yes it is similar to a Diverge and is also made by Specialized.

I had meant to email Tailfin about something else and threw in a question about this just now to also get their take on it.
Old 03-18-21, 12:49 PM
mwhabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had also emailed (Dan) at Tailfin. He said "We've not had any problems connecting to carbon frames, and the Thru-Axle option is very strong (the weight is distributed through the hub and rear wheel)." Also mentioned weight testing and reviews..however the reviews were not specific to a carbon frame. LMK what you hear please. Thanks!
Old 03-20-21, 10:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by mwhabe
Well yes, however the guy at the bike shop originally told me NO...so I started researching other options. Now I realize yes it can. However I don't understand the issue with this one going in the thru-axle. Isn't that pretty supportive?
Specialized has included rack mounts on the Diverge so why does “the guy at the bike shop” think they can’t be used? Frankly, I’d question his judgement. This video shows that it’s a simple process to use just a regular rack. You need a seat collar for the rack stays to be mounted but that’s not much of an issue.

The Tailfin might work but that’s a chunk of change for a rack. And, damn, that thing is uuuuugggllly!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-21-21, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,556 Times in 7,331 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

And, damn, that thing is uuuuugggllly!
Old 03-23-21, 08:29 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Hey I heard back from Tailfin.. they mentioned that two reviews on their site were for people with a Diverge who were happy. No surprise there I don't think.. My rack is due next week.

Old 03-25-21, 06:49 PM
mwhabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Scott, thanks for all of this info. I decided not to second guess my decision. LMK what you think of yours when it comes in...can't wait to hear!