Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Berthoud v. Brooks

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Berthoud v. Brooks

Old 03-23-21, 03:41 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Berthoud v. Brooks

So after a month of riding a Berthoud saddle I’m about to pull my other Brooks and replace it with a Berthoud. With all the love on this site and section how many of you are on Berthoud saddles over Brooks?

Last edited by Germany_chris; 03-23-21 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 03:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I replaced my B17 with the copper rivets with an Aspin (cork) with the split in it about a year ago on my main ride. The Brooks is now on my touring bike.

I am not convinced it feels any better, but the B17 felt just a tad too wide, which this addresses. It definitely feels different, and has a sleeker profile. I might simply not have it dialed in perfectly.

Old 03-23-21, 04:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3451 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have no experience with Berthoud.

Originally Posted by wgscott
... ..., but the B17 felt just a tad too wide, ...
Same here, my B17 is on an indoor trainer bike where I sit more upright while I watch tv. On the bikes that I actually ride, using a Brooks Pro or Brooks Conquest,
Old 03-23-21, 08:14 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
The Moulton, the gravel bike and the folder all have Selle Anatomicas. I like 'em a lot.
The retro has a Sella Italia. Beautiful saddle; not broken in yet.
The touring bike has a Lepper Tourist. It's ok.
The tandem has a Brooks Pro. It's ok.
The commuter/errand bike has a Persons Deluxe #77. Probably my favorite saddle.
Old 03-24-21, 05:27 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Another former Brooks user here. In the last year or so, I have logged a bit over 2k miles on several Berthoud models:

- Soulor
- Galibier
- Aravis

The wider profile of the Aravis makes it an ideal fit for my anatomy and the Ti rails provide a little extra comfort on 70+ mile rides. Every few months I apply a small amount of Obenauf's LP, which Berthoud suggested as an alternative to their proprietary leather preservative.
Old 03-26-21, 08:28 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
I've gone with Brooks but someone suggested a Berthoud. I priced it and they're not cheap. I've dropped a bike and scuffed a Brooks and two days back my youngest dropped a bike with my newest Brooks and scuffed that. I was sorely vexed but would've been even more whinny if they were Berthoud.
They're large investments, at least ones I saw but they do look nice.
Old 03-26-21, 08:43 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I scuffed my Berthaud a couple of weeks after I put it on the bike. I made the classic mistake of looking into a rut I wanted to avoid. The bike went into it, and I rolled off into what kind of looked like a shallow grave next to it.

Thankfully, no one else was around to see it. The scars on the Berthaud gave it character.

Old 04-03-21, 09:40 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
The Brooks B17 fits me well, but I have been a little disappointed in the quality. I tried a Berthoud Aspin and found it too narrow. Then I tried an Aubisque and it fit very well. It broke in almost immediately and seems to be of superior quality. All parts are replaceable, which presumably means that it can last forever.
Old 04-10-21, 06:25 AM
LynxTheWizard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Long time brooks user here (over the years i have had experience with 3 flyers, b67, b17). Brooks saddles are very simple in their construction and that is the appeal for me. They cost a lot but one can find them on discounts on a regular basis. I checked the Berthoud and it seems like they are going for the more posh/hipster looking leather saddle. They look fine, would love to try one out. from the pictures they don't look that comfortable though looks can be deceiving...