Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Off topic rant on Trek store

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Off topic rant on Trek store

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 03:49 PM
eastsideride

Bikes: Checkpoint; Stache; Remedy; Slash; Emonda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
They’re pretty full of themselves. I think they’re caught up in some stupid, elitist corporate snobbery.
You couldn't be more wrong about this. While the store carries the name, it is full of people who are dedicated to providing the best service they can. No one is full of themselves in this industry other than Pinarello (sly joke). If you had an issue with the way things were handled, just chat with the service manager and they can explain things better!

Also, the Porsche reference, car dealers try to upsell service all the time. Service is a good way for auto dealers and bike shops to earn money after the sale of a car or bike.
Likes For eastsideride:
Old 04-09-21, 08:11 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by eastsideride
You couldn't be more wrong about this. While the store carries the name, it is full of people who are dedicated to providing the best service they can. No one is full of themselves in this industry other than Pinarello (sly joke). If you had an issue with the way things were handled, just chat with the service manager and they can explain things better!

Also, the Porsche reference, car dealers try to upsell service all the time. Service is a good way for auto dealers and bike shops to earn money after the sale of a car or bike.
Indeed, I've never met anybody from inside the bike industry who wasn't passionate about bikes and cycling first and foremost. And most are also dedicated to getting "regular" people onto bikes and having a good experience.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-12-21, 04:22 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
If you're so sure about this, you should see the shop I recently had experience with. Every other bike shop I've visited--including two other Trek shops--is as you describe. In fact, there is an upscale shop in a nearby city that sells Pinarello and other premium brands, at very premium prices. I've found them more accessible when I stopped in to ask a question or look for a special piece of hardware. In my everyday attire, I felt underdressed to walk through their doors. They're in a super trendy neighborhood, in a building that looks like it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The parking lot is usually filled with Teslas and Range Rovers, maybe a few riff-raff Audis or Volvos. They did not give me any attitude, but seemed like they'd be happy to help me, provided I could get a second mortgage to cover their prices.

At the Trek store, one of the employees is very polite and obviously committed to customer service. But he's not knowledgeable about bikes. He's clearly new to the industry and getting trained. I'm fine with that; it's actually something I like to see. Another (the mechanic) seemed irritated that I wanted to talk to him, just to ask a few questions about the bike and get his take on it. On my first visit, when I was instructed to bring the bike in for a pre-service inspection, the mechanic was on break or MIA, so I had to wait 20 minutes for any service. Not busy with a high volume of customers, just nobody available. While I was waiting, another customer came to buy a replacement tire. They wanted the guy's home address, phone number, and email for their database. The checkout process was taking so long, he stopped them to ask if he could just fork over the forty bucks and go. The kind fellow helping him said something like, "Oh, I guess so." He seemed a little afraid to deviate from company policy on the process. The manager is the one who gave me sassy attitude through the whole experience. Never seemed interested in making sure I'm well taken care of, but gave me a strong vibe that she is constrained to do things in a very strict manner to keep the lawyers happy. Perhaps I'm an anomaly or my experience was the exception. I checked some online reviews, and the shop has very high ratings overall. Many customers have given them shining reviews.

I have no doubt Porsche would have tried to upsell me in the hypothetical situation I suggested above. But I'm certain there is no auto dealership of any brand that requires a complete pre-service inspection before they will even put you on their schedule. That's the part that, more than anything, made me say "Wha... I mean... Are you serious?"

I saw a few BikeForum SSFG members weigh in on the chain price, too. It was mostly to the effect of "If you don't like it, you could learn to do that job yourself." Very true. In fact, I already have that ability, but I like the concept of supporting shops in our current economy. I'd hoped they would be glad I'm giving them some business and would treat me accordingly. Just so we have it all in black and white: Trek charged me $43 for a Shimano 9-speed HG, (plus installation labor). The same chain is $32 at another national retail chain's brick and mortar stores. Not the online price, not a clearance sale or open box special. I stand by my claim that Trek is getting an awfully high opinion of themselves. This is why I'm taking to heart the advice repeated several times in this thread: "You should just do all your own maintenance."

Because I think it's good to give the follow up-in a thread like this, here's the rest of the story. I picked up the bike, and it looked pretty good. Paid my $130, then decided to take a little test ride in the parking lot. It was not shifting right, but actually got worse than before I took it in. I went right back and showed the mechanic what was happening. He looked at it again on the spot, made another adjustment, and now it seems to be right. We went out of town for a wedding right after this, so my wife has not yet had a chance to take it for a real ride. We hope to do so tonight or tomorrow, and I definitely hope she'll be favorably impressed with the bike's function.

To be fair, I'm not angry or upset about the outcome. By the end, two of the three people I dealt with were quite reasonable. And I've had good experiences there in the past. The shop is expensive, but that's sort of to be expected. I got my rant out to help me feel better after the initial frustration. At this point, will I ever return to that business? Maybe. If so, it will be their last chance to win me over as a customer.

Last edited by Broctoon; 04-12-21 at 04:27 PM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 04-12-21, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Indeed, I've never met anybody from inside the bike industry who wasn't passionate about bikes and cycling first and foremost. And most are also dedicated to getting "regular" people onto bikes and having a good experience.
I hate bikes!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-12-21, 08:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
I liked the setup at one shop I worked for, with the average bike we told them the tune was 70.00 and we had a 25.00 parts possibility (had a better term I can't remember). Basically if we found something that needed replacing and it cost 25.00 or less we just did it so it was ready to go and we didn't have to wait for approval. 25 could cover front and back pads, a replacement chain, a worn chain ring or several new cables. Just meant we didn't have to fine inspect every inch and expect to get it right till the bike was in the stand. Parts over 25 was a call and wait for approval. More expensive bikes we put a lot more attention into the drop off but they still had the 25.00 which still might cover cables or housing or a bb. Owner wasn't big on abusing the system and customers were happy to not have to field calls. Worked well.
Old 04-12-21, 09:31 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
The thing no one has said is that if they have these procedures in place, there may be a reason for it-- as in, bad past experiences.

Check the bike over thoroughly before touching it: avoiding having someone come back and say "you messed up my bike!" when damage has already been there. Or avoid a "knowledgeable" customer saying it's fine, and they believe the person, only to have the person complain later that "I can't believe you didn't notice X is wrong" or "something bad happened and another bike shop told me it's because Y was messed up.; why didn't you know that."

Judging for themselves what it needs: goes back to the "knowledgeable" customer who says it just needs a wee chain lube and it turns out to need a lot more than that.

Knowing before they accept the bike what it needs: no customers angry at "surprises" (or, suspecting them of trying to "upsell"). I'm glad you're reasonable if they call you and say "Hey, it needs this." Not everyone is reasonable.

With a pre-inspection, everything is out in the open before anyone feels any obligation (if the customer doesn't like what they hear, they can pack up their bike and go rather than complaining that "and they didn't tell me it needed Z before they were halfway through what I brought it in for, so of course I was going to have them do it; of all the underhanded tactics..."), and the shop's rear end is covered. I a. am big fan of CYA, and b. have seen just enough in the world to know how absolutely nuts and/or unreasonable some people can be in business situations (these are also often the ones who are firmly convinced that "the customer is always right {no matter what}" and the ones who will crow to everyone they know, and on Facebook and NextDoor and whatever other social media people have, about how crooked a business is).
Old 04-13-21, 09:42 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I’m never going back there.
I've had good experiences there in the past.
will I ever return to that business? Maybe.
it will be their last chance to win me over as a customer.
Old 04-13-21, 10:11 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Welcome to Corporate America. Service manager prob went to B-skool and rides little if at all. Sounds like the shop owner hired a profit consultant and this plan was the result. The way around all this is to do your own maintenance. I am part of the problem of the bike industry going into the crapper, I buy used and wrench my own + friends. Friend needs a new chain, cables, pads, etc? Amazon or whoever, 5 days to get it here, bring your ride + a cold Beck's.
Old 04-13-21, 01:30 PM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For better or worse, Trek is the only brand with a chain of bike stores, so anything that goes wrong at one store reflects on their brand.
Old 04-15-21, 07:35 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by Rolla
Yes, the situation developed over time. My opinion and attitude evolved along with it. The several quotes you mashed together with no context would seem contradictory if I’d posted them all in the same day.
Old 04-15-21, 09:45 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Yes, the situation developed over time. My opinion and attitude evolved along with it.
I got my rant out to help me feel better.
Gad to hear that whining was cathartic for you. Congrats on your "evolution."
Old 04-15-21, 09:56 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Since you know so much you should just do the work yourself. If you came into my shop arguing that I run my business wrong that would be my recommendation to you.
Old 04-15-21, 10:37 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-15-21, 11:35 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Gad to hear that whining was cathartic for you.
Indeed. It’s one of the nice things about internet forums. A place to go and get something off my chest.

Congrats on your "evolution."
Thanks! I reserve the right to change my views. People have accused me of being a bit fickle, and they’re not wrong.

With that, Tejano is probably right and I should let this one go now.