Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 09:45 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by AristoNYC
Definitely. The shop was cool enough to offer me a bike to use in the interim, though I didn't need it.

The problem is that I don't even know. I was riding and the bike felt a little flexy so i got off and noticed the crack on the top tube. It is about 2-3 inches from where it meets the seat tube. Its odd that it not at a joint.
Point this out for interest..

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...bon-frame.html

The thread gets derailed after a page or two but is the same sort of deal.

Guy had a "small crash' and found his frame cracked when he got up. He assumed that the crack was caused by the crash but could not explain the crash, said he "lost his balance." I believe that the crack was the cause rather than the result, that it cracked first and caused him to loose his balance as it flexed.

I'm glad you didn't go down or get hurt. Could have been much worse.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-12-16 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 10:18 AM
klhada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
today I bought some new levers, to mount front AND rear brakes on my FG. I like to ride long distance with hills and don't give a damn about "street cred" or some BS like that.
Old 09-12-16, 12:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Leukybear
Just get another set and you'll have all the spares you need

They're pretty cheap nowadays considering how popular and mass produced they were back in their prime.

It definitely helps to let wd-40 or triflow to soak in before truing though. The common park tool mavic nipple wrench for it makes too much torque doesnt help either.

Help me out here. I'm asking out of ignorance.

I think more of these Ksyrium SL spokes are going to go. I could hear them making the same noise as the one that broke while soft pedaling home.

So I've been dabbing TriFlow on the spoke nipples for a few days under the assumption that more are frozen. I have a replacement for the broken NDS spoke have a source for more should I need them.

How long should I soak these things? A day or a week or a month? How likely is it that these will free up? Or is it a lost cause? Wont know until they are tried?

I realize you can't predict the future but what are your thoughts? I'd like to try to salvage these wheels rather than turn them into a coffee table.

-Tim-
Old 09-12-16, 01:02 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Point this out for interest..

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...bon-frame.html

The thread gets derailed after a page or two but is the same sort of deal.

Guy had a "small crash' and found his frame cracked when he got up. He assumed that the crack was caused by the crash but could not explain the crash, said he "lost his balance." I believe that the crack was the cause rather than the result, that it cracked first and caused him to loose his balance as it flexed.

I'm glad you didn't go down or get hurt. Could have been much worse.

-Tim-
Thanks, I'm happy it didnt snap while I was riding. I actually rode it 10 miles to the shop to drop off but I wasn't bombing any hills or bunny hopping stuff.

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Weird. Probably just a defective piece of tubing. Does it run parallel with the tube or around the circumference?
Yeah, I'm hoping that I don't get any issues from Giant for a replacement. It was around the the tubing left to right, rather than front to back.
Old 09-12-16, 01:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Thanks, I'm happy it didnt snap while I was riding. I actually rode it 10 miles to the shop to drop off but I wasn't bombing any hills or bunny hopping stuff.

Yeah, I'm hoping that I don't get any issues from Giant for a replacement. It was around the the tubing left to right, rather than front to back.
FWIW, Bianchi did the right thing in the other thread and sent a replacement.

Hope Giant does the same. Your case seems pretty straight forward.
Old 09-12-16, 05:53 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Today I am getting ready to take an easy to moderate ride on level ground...

Saturday a friend and I did LoToJa as a two-man relay team. I rode legs 1, 3, and 5; he did 2 and 4. It took us just a few minutes over 12 hours to finish the whole 206 miles. I ended up with about 126 miles, including 3100+ feet of climbing. The highest point on the course, near the end of leg 3, is 7630 feet.

It was fun! Tough but fun, and worth the effort.
Old 09-12-16, 06:11 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Help me out here. I'm asking out of ignorance.

I think more of these Ksyrium SL spokes are going to go. I could hear them making the same noise as the one that broke while soft pedaling home.

So I've been dabbing TriFlow on the spoke nipples for a few days under the assumption that more are frozen. I have a replacement for the broken NDS spoke have a source for more should I need them.

How long should I soak these things? A day or a week or a month? How likely is it that these will free up? Or is it a lost cause? Wont know until they are tried?

I realize you can't predict the future but what are your thoughts? I'd like to try to salvage these wheels rather than turn them into a coffee table.

-Tim-
Is that sound being produced when the nipple is rotated in either direction?

Seized spokes on SSC ksyriums can be dicey as the corrosion created bond between the spoke/ nipple interface needs to be broken first. It is here when the spoke usually breaks. You're going to have be very patient and slow going with the following process for every problem spoke.

You do not want the spoke to twist. At first it is going to be inevitable when you're attempting to break the spoke loose from the nipple but you have to minimize it. While attempting to rotate the nipple, use a pair of pliers (if they're needle nose, use the inner wider portion) with a small rag in its jaw to clamp the bottommost fully bladed portion of the spoke closest to the nipple.

With the spoke held firmly in place by the pliers with one hand, in very small increments twist the nipple back and forth with the spoke wrench in the other hand. You will feel torsion on the spoke through the pliers for as long as the spoke is seized within the nipple. You will know if the spoke has broken loose when you no longer feel this torsion.

Seeing that triflow has not done much, you should try using something that is more geared toward unseizing things. A penetrating oil should give you the best shot at breaking free the spokes without breaking themselves. Try PB blaster, it is my go to.

Truth be told, mavic did a poor job in corrosion proofing the nipple and spokes of those wheels.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 09-12-16, 07:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Leukybear
Is that sound being produced when the nipple is rotated in either direction?

Seized spokes on SSC ksyriums can be dicey as the corrosion created bond between the spoke/ nipple interface needs to be broken first. It is here when the spoke usually breaks. You're going to have be very patient and slow going with the following process for every problem spoke.

You do not want the spoke to twist. At first it is going to be inevitable when you're attempting to break the spoke loose from the nipple but you have to minimize it. While attempting to rotate the nipple, use a pair of pliers (if they're needle nose, use the inner wider portion) with a small rag in its jaw to clamp the bottommost fully bladed portion of the spoke closest to the nipple.

With the spoke held firmly in place by the pliers with one hand, in very small increments twist the nipple back and forth with the spoke wrench in the other hand. You will feel torsion on the spoke through the pliers for as long as the spoke is seized within the nipple. You will know if the spoke has broken loose when you no longer feel this torsion.

Seeing that triflow has not done much, you should try using something that is more geared toward unseizing things. A penetrating oil should give you the best shot at breaking free the spokes without breaking themselves. Try PB blaster, it is my go to.

Truth be told, mavic did a poor job in corrosion proofing the nipple and spokes of those wheels.

Thanks for this. I have not tried to twist anything yet. Not in a rush.

The red/bold makes absolute sense. If it is corrosion then the two pieces are bonded and there may not be much that can be done.

I purchased a few spokes just in case. If not then it will make a really nice coffee table.
Old 09-12-16, 08:48 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
If it is corrosion then the two pieces are bonded and there may not be much that can be done.
Not so! I don't have much experience with bicycle spokes, but I've a lot dealing with corrosion. Take Leukybear's advice to use PB Blaster. That and a little physical force--very judiciously applied--can work wonders for un-bonding stuff.
Old 09-13-16, 05:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Not so! I don't have much experience with bicycle spokes, but I've a lot dealing with corrosion. Take Leukybear's advice to use PB Blaster. That and a little physical force--very judiciously applied--can work wonders for un-bonding stuff.

I decided to go for it last night.

Two nipples gave a slight pop as they broke loose but everything is like butter.

I Appreciate the advice.
Old 09-13-16, 02:04 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
FWIW, Bianchi did the right thing in the other thread and sent a replacement.

Hope Giant does the same. Your case seems pretty straight forward.
Thanks. Got an email from the shop, Giant is going to be sending a replacement frame. Its going to take a few weeks and will be a different color, but still a replacement. I actually like the replacement color better.

Old 09-13-16, 04:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I actually like the replacement color better.
Same as the guy with the Bianchi. They are sending him a different color which he likes better.
Old 09-13-16, 08:02 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
today im home from coloRADo

pretty much the greatest place ever.
Old 09-13-16, 09:04 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Got an email from the shop, Giant is going to be sending a replacement frame. Its going to take a few weeks and will be a different color, but still a replacement. I actually like the replacement color better.

I like it. It makes me wish I had considered a Giant over the C-Dale Synapse.
Old 09-14-16, 08:03 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry I didn't try to hang out with you good sir

Originally Posted by Mumonkan

Old 09-14-16, 09:23 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
Sorry I didn't try to hang out with you good sir
its quite alright, i had plenty of mountains to play with, lots of beers to drink, and pots to eat
Old 09-14-16, 09:53 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan

Agreed.

Also, did I lose you from instagram or have you not been posting much, I swear I never see your stuff anymore.

Old 09-14-16, 11:42 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Agreed.

Also, did I lose you from instagram or have you not been posting much, I swear I never see your stuff anymore.
nah still there, i just really havent been computering that much in general. i got into some deep funk middle of summer that kept me off the bike, blog postage, internetmachines etc.

that and another pic i posted this afternoon are on the instantmachine
Old 09-14-16, 01:34 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Gave up beer for the two weeks prior to Jingle Cross and feel fitter than I have in the last 8 years. Go figure.
Old 09-14-16, 02:06 PM
Carcosa

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How dare you suggest that beer is bad.
Old 09-14-16, 04:02 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Old 09-15-16, 07:46 AM
50voltphantom

Beer is awesome, but not when you want ride a bike whilst completely in the red for 40 minutes.
Old 09-15-16, 08:39 AM
50voltphantom

I picked up a HED seatpost off eBay because I convinced myself I should use a aluminum seatpost instead of the generic carbon one I've been using. It arrived yesterday and it's totally cool, but now I'm not sure I want to use it because carbon. Suddenly I'm thinking about grams while riding a Surly.
Old 09-15-16, 04:28 PM
cali_axela
Señor Member

Bikes: All of them

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
Suddenly I'm thinking about grams while riding a Surly.
The only grams you should be counting while riding a Surly are of the herbal variety
Old 09-15-16, 06:40 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Did 25 miles on some new roads today, good stuff. Going through Strava afterward I see that I got 26th fastest time on this one hill and the guy who owns the KOM on it apparently climbed a 10% grade at 30mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.