Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Qualified IGH Repair shops Northeast US

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-28-13, 01:26 PM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Friend has a nashbar upright with a nexus 8 IGH drive
The hub needs to be gone over by a qualified IGH mechanic and we don't have one (out of 5 shops) in our area.
Anyone know of a qualified shop possibly in New York western Pa or southern Ontario Ca.
Old 06-28-13, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
I know of a few in NYC or Boston, but none upstate, The nearest city likely to have a good IGH guy is probably Clevelend OH.

Just so you know, the issue with nexus, is internal wear (usually because of rust, and lack of parts availability. If you want preventative maintenance, on a hub that hasn't been abused or seen undue wear, there are many guys that can do the job. But if the hub has wear/abuse issues, most guys are going to say new hub, with maybe a guts transfer into the old shell if the wheel is in good shape.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-29-13, 09:03 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Friend has a nashbar upright with a nexus 8 IGH drive
The hub needs to be gone over by a qualified IGH mechanic and we don't have one (out of 5 shops) in our area.
Anyone know of a qualified shop possibly in New York western Pa or southern Ontario Ca.
Can you be more specific about what the issues are? If you're game to bring it over the border, I might be able to help you out.
Old 06-29-13, 09:59 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This doesn't seem to be a wear issue.
I'm no IGH expert but it feels like an automotive axel on a car that hasn't been driven in decades and the 90wt gear oil turned to molasses.
I realize there's a supposed breaking period prior to which these hubs are a bit stiff to pedal but this is way beyond that.
There's no way of knowing how long these bikes sat BEFORE Nashbar bought em fro resale and no idea how long they sat around with Nashbar before a customer got em.
Old 06-29-13, 10:07 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

It sounds like it probably only needs to be flushed and relubed. It's a straightforward job if no parts need replacing, and there are a number of tutorials (including some by Dan B.) available on the net.

If it's just a new hub running stiff because of dried lube, you might even be able to freshen the old lube by running some fresh oil into the hub via the hollow axle, running it a bit, and draining the excess. This is more by the way of a PM than an overhaul, and if you don't want to undertake it, you shouldn't have trouble finding someone who can.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 06-29-13, 10:18 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
. . . There's no way of knowing how long these bikes sat BEFORE Nashbar bought em fro resale and no idea how long they sat around with Nashbar before a customer got em.
You could check the hub's date code. Do you have the possibility of warranty coverage by either Shimano or Nashbar?
Old 06-29-13, 11:58 AM
tiberon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Westwood Cycle in Westwood NJ, top notch shop. Mechanic with nearly fifty years exp., shop has been there since the fortys originally owned by Jack Simes II.
Old 06-29-13, 12:10 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by tiberon
Westwood Cycle in Westwood NJ, top notch shop. Mechanic with nearly fifty years exp., shop has been there since the fortys originally owned by Jack Simes II.
Yes, an excellent shop, but it's an awful long way (roughly 400miles ) from Western NY to Westwood NJ. If the OP willing to drive that far, Dan B. in Oakville who does these every day is much, much closer. In fact having checked the map, if I were the OP, and wasn't ready to do it myself, I'd arrange an appointment and do the scenic drive past Niagara Falls and see Dan for the job.

In fact, bring another bike and make a day (or weekend) of it. There's some nice cycling up in that neck o' the woods. (Check with Dan first, in case there's a black fly season).

BTW- CNY-Bikeman is also pretty close to you (Rochester area) but I don't know how he feels about working on Nexus hubs.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-29-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-29-13, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If the hub can be removed and rebuilt into the wheel , the shipping cost is low..

alternatively just post the wheel minus tire..

[shipped my '03 Rohloff hub to Berkeley Cal , to have leaking seals replaced, at US service center, there...
NB I did loosen the screwed on Cog First., before de spoking the wheel]
Old 06-29-13, 01:22 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
If the hub can be removed and rebuilt into the wheel , the shipping cost is low..

alternatively just post the wheel minus tire..

[shipped my '03 Rohloff hub to Berkeley Cal , to have leaking seals replaced, at US service center, there...
NB I did loosen the screwed on Cog First., before de spoking the wheel]
The USPS doesn't factor volume into parcel and priority mail rates too much, so the cost savings for shipping this 500 or so miles within the USA will be far less than the cost of rebuilding a wheel. Note, that if you do decide to mail this, you will be paying for volume, not weight, so pack it in the smallest, flattest box you can.

(Parcel post for a wheel, packed fairly tight, NYC to Chicago = about $20.00 or so

Old 06-29-13, 03:36 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, an excellent shop, but it's an awful long way (roughly 400miles ) from Western NY to Westwood NJ. If the OP willing to drive that far, Dan B. in Oakville who does these every day is much, much closer. In fact having checked the map, if I were the OP, and wasn't ready to do it myself, I'd arrange an appointment and do the scenic drive past Niagara Falls and see Dan for the job.

In fact, bring another bike and make a day (or weekend) of it. There's some nice cycling up in that neck o' the woods. (Check with Dan first, in case there's a black fly season).

BTW- CNY-Bikeman is also pretty close to you (Rochester area) but I don't know how he feels about working on Nexus hubs.
You would have to go north a ways from my place before you have to worry about black flies, but yeah, there is some decent riding around here.
If you would like me to take a look at it, PM me to arrange a time. I won't be available until near the end of the week, like the 4th or 5th.
Old 06-30-13, 07:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Friend has a nashbar upright with a nexus 8 IGH drive...
If it's just a new hub running stiff because of dried lube, you might even be able to freshen the old lube by running some fresh oil into the hub via the hollow axle, running it a bit, and draining the excess.
With of course the minor complication that the Nexus 8 IGH doesn't in fact have a hollow axle.

Shimano's oil-based relubing instructions.