Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Assessing your 2013 fitness goals? Fail, Meet, or Exceed?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Assessing your 2013 fitness goals? Fail, Meet, or Exceed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-13, 11:42 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My goal was to ride lots. I did.
Old 12-22-13, 12:00 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
You all impress me, particularly those of you in the mileage stratosphere. I'll be happy to put in 3000 miles next year. That being said...a daily routine (either work or or play and as I telework...that means play) would get me well over 4,000-5000 miles. Roll on!
Goals, how they work, and how to manage them always eluded me until I began cycling. It was like trying to hold on to a handful of water.

For me, it's all in how I break it down into manageable chunks. 5,000 miles still seems completely undoable to me even though that's my long term average per year. Something about the big number is intimidating. Every year it seems I'll never be able to achieve it.

Broken down though, it seems really easy. My current 5300 and change is an average of 15 miles a day. My long-term average speed is 15 mph. So an hour a day on average is all it takes for me to get of 5300 and change. I waste than much time on teh interwebs daily. Since I'm off the bike at least two days a week, counting actual cycling days, I need 21 miles or about 1:20 to reach it. Still eminently doable.

I also have to map it out monthly so that I don't get too disappointed at 6-mile-a-day averages in January, February, and December.

Now, that all comes across as just chasing numbers. I'm far from that. What keeps me at it how I feel. Below about 50 miles a week, or 7 to 10 miles a day, I feel like crap. I feel fine at that level, and feel extraordinary (and about 30 years younger) with double that amount, which conveniently, comes in just shy of that 21 miles per cycling day, or 15 miles per calendar day.

So for me, I use the numbers to be sure I'm the range where I feel best. That way, when I'm not feeling right, I can either get on the bike, or tick that off the list and keep looking for why.
Old 12-22-13, 12:07 PM
aubiecat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fitness goal actually started on August 1st so I am half way there. I gave myself a year to get to my goal weight of 180lbs. I started at 237 and I am at 209 now.
The weather, short days and holiday food aren't making it easy right now but I expect things to get back to normal after Christmas.
I did 1000 miles since I started back cycling in August. I'm not sure I did 1000 miles in my whole life up to that point even though I grew up on a Nishiki 10 speed.

Last edited by aubiecat; 12-22-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-22-13, 12:24 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Well done you all.

I slacked this year, but did have some highlights. I did the Diablo Time Trial on my 60th and blew up my PRs. Get my weight super low for about a minute. Managed over 7000 miles.

Next year I have plans, baby!
Old 12-22-13, 01:06 PM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 4000 km, more or less, and plan more for next year. One metric century, no imperials. Managed not to buy any bikes, but do own an indecently large number of shorts and jerseys.
Old 12-22-13, 03:54 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Welcome to 50+ rodentcloister, you are in good, plentiful company in returning to riding after a long hiatus,

I made my goals early this year, I will have just over 4000 miles for the year after next week, wanted at least 3000, lost 80+ pounds (278 lbs now at 198+/- as of this morning), my kidney disease has moved from 3B failure status to healthy levels by the creatinine levels, my BP is now at 115/65 usually so no more BP medications, RHR is in the 48-56 range and I feel much better than I have felt in many years. the big thing is that I am now over 3 years past any surgeries for a change. Riding 6-7 days a week now, 15-25 miles per day at a 15+ mph range.

Bill
We have talked before so I may be repeating myself. we had or have a lot in common. I started out at 265 when I first got back into cycling. Worked hard to lose weight just by riding and supposedly eating right. Got down to 210 and wanted to gt to under 2 bucks by this year. Started out in January doing OK but by March I was a very tired 235. I knew I would be lucky to get in 5000 miles and dreaded every climb out of our valley. Finally got a health coach and followed a eating plan recommended by the coach and my doctor and things turned around. Don't remember all of of 2013 goals but some of the results this year and close to yours.

As of today I have 6689 miles on my bikes YTD Looks like I will get 7000 in by January.
Climbing 133,563 according to Strava YTD
Average speed 15.5 including the climbing
Time on bike 433 hours YTD
No longer on blood Pressure medication
No longer on Cholesterol Medication
BP this morning 116/55
Average RHR YTD 59
weight 175.

Next year I guess it will simply be, Maintain what I have.
Old 12-22-13, 04:50 PM
wn rider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on those putting up the huge mileage numbers. Very impressive.

This year I managed about 3800 miles and 180,000 ft of climbing. Almost half of the miles were with my wife on the tandem. It was our first year riding the tandem, which we really both enjoyed. I am relatively new to cycling (about the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] year of riding semi-seriously) and feel that I was a stronger rider this year than I was the previous year. I told a riding friend of mine that my simple goal was to become a stronger rider each year. I’m in my early 50’s so I know that won’t happen forever but should be doable for a while. I have ridden with my wife’s uncle who is in his 70’s and an incredibly strong rider. Gives me hope that it can be done for a considerable period of time.

Didn’t accomplish anything spectacular this year but the highlights were probably:

· Riding a 500+ mile, one-week tour with my wife on the tandem. She set her record for most daily miles, 4 straight days, which was pretty cool for her.
· Completed the 5 pass, Markleeville Death Ride. Tough day but really enjoyed it.
· Got lucky in the lottery and was able to ride and complete the RAMROD, which was a gorgeous ride with great weather.
· Completed my wife’s first century with her on the tandem.

Looking forward to a great 2014!
Old 12-22-13, 05:04 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Turned 81 this month.
Rode just over 5,000 miles so far in 2013.
Feel great as does my wife/tandem partner Kay.
It's been a good year . . . AGAIN!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Santa on b ike.jpg (20.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-22-13, 06:01 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
These are some pretty amazing and inspirational posts and totals. Although I appreciate that the world "fail" is a common part of the modern vernacular, l did not see anything in here that rightly qualified for that designation. Sort of like my father used to say when my mother pulled the: "Stop at the gas station and ask for directions" card. "I'm not lost, darling. Just taking the long way because the day's so fine."

I'm closing out the year at about 4500 road miles, and another 1200 trainer miles. A broken hip in July likely cost me some overall distance, and converted what would have been road miles into more time on the trainer. Started the year at 165 lbs., dropped to 155 right before the crash, and will leave the year at 160. Pushed my solo average for an hour to 22+, lost it with the crash, almost have it back.

All of that pales in comparison to what I really treasure from the past year. My fitness goal for every year is the same--to still be able to enjoy and appreciate the sport the next year. I was 56 coming into 2013, I am now 57 (no big surprise there), and I'm still riding. My wife is willing to ride with me even after 32 years of marriage. In 2013, I rode with friends I have had since grade school, and new friends I made just this year. I discovered the wonderful community of this forum, and the good spirit it represents in a way that is always entertaining and occasionally enriching. Through the kindness and efforts of yet more friends, I was able to be part of project that I hope will open up safe and enjoyable cycling opportunities to other physically challenged riders.

All in all, I'd have to say goal exceeded.
Old 12-22-13, 06:05 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine were to get back to my early 20's weight of 170-175#, Ride TOSRV again( last time 20 years ago)and ride a solo double metric. I made all 3! I had no specific mileage goals and didn't track most of my rides , I doubt that I rode more than 3K miles for the year. Next year my only specific goal is to maintain my current level of fitness.
Old 12-22-13, 07:52 PM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first century and did a 150 2 day ride for ADA. Not bad considering sept 2013 was my 2 year gastric bypass anniversary. Been back in the gym this winter and just set up my bike for indoor use on a trainer. 2-3 centuries next year and the ADA ride again is the plan for 2014- Including a new bike - thinking domane 6

Also need to drop 15...
Old 12-23-13, 10:16 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not so much goals but highlights:
Got my weight down to my lowest level in 40 years.
Completed the Assault on Mt Mitchell after a multi-year hiatus from the event. Just missed my target time by 2 minutes but I didn't feel trashed. Oh well......
Did an organized Century or two I had not ridden in before---Shenandoah Valley for one.
Rode in Ride the Rockies for the 5th year in a row.
Rode Cycle Oregon for the first time.
Met tons of new people who enjoy riding and touring (and drinking beer) as much as I do!
Finished 3rd in my age group and medaled in the Charlotte Motor Speedway Time Trial Series.
Rode a lot more but played a lot less golf........worked more than ever**********??
Spent two weeks in Italy with my wife......but no riding.
Doing a century a week in December (plus late November and early January).
Got my wife to say "I might ride with you if we can try a Tandem".
Rode a lot more with a small group of folks near where I live.
Got two new sets of Carbon Clincher wheels and have enjoyed them.
Even with the latest and greatest technology I'm measurably slower than even 5 years ago but still enjoying being on the bike.

Goals for 2014:
Get wife on a tandem.
Do a different week long tour (already have an eye on one). Just happens to be my wedding anniversary week and my wife will go and volunteer for the tour?!?!?!?
Keep my wife happy with me!!
My oldest daughter completes Graduate School and we have a week long trip planned in Aruba with my entire family to celebrate........and I'm paying (my wife's idea...)
Hoping my company will "pay me" to quit working!!
Old 12-23-13, 10:42 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
As the OP, perhaps I was a bit harsh to use "Fail" in the header. The scientist in me tends to be harsh, I'm my own worst critic and I, like many of you, am chasing something beyond reach (youth) but find what I grasp (joy of blasting through the asphalt or dirt byways) gives me great peace of mind and happiness. Reading about your achievements is quite satisfying and you are clearly cyclists I would enjoy meeting along the way. Roll on friends, roll on.
Old 12-23-13, 01:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwc5830
Way to go Fred!
Just checked my records...rode 19 Century's

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-24-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-23-13, 06:51 PM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Just checked my records...rode 19 Century's
Only 19 Amazing for someone of your esteemed age! No joke!

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-24-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-23-13, 10:34 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Last year I had a goal of 3500 miles. Would have hit it easily as I was approaching that figure in early August. Then the crashy thing, and I was not able to reach that goal. So...

..this year I set a goal of 3000 miles. As of now I have about 4400 miles, but may not add to that because of the winter weather.

I started the year with no specific weight loss goals. Shortly into the riding season I decided I would do well to lose some weight. I had no specific goal, and no structured plan, but I ended up losing over 20 lbs.

I didn't even know what Strava was at the beginning of the year. In early September I got a KOM, which still stands today. I feel good about that, but fully acknowledge that the best riders in the area do not frequent the area that my KOM is located in.

I did a lot of riding with some of the strongest riders in the area, including a bunch of young kids on the local college cycling team.

It's been a great year of cycling for me. Being stuck up here in the northeast, I really miss riding..
Old 12-24-13, 10:36 AM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I lost 40 lbs in 2012 & kept it off all year. My goal was 500 miles/month, made that easy, I'll have 7500 miles by year end. I rode the C&O and GAP which was a deferred goal from 2011. Also did Bike Around the Bay (180miles over 2 days) which was on my to-do list. It was a great year. Next year I want to ride from Cincinnati to Cleveland or the Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga or something like that.
Old 12-24-13, 02:49 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
After three pretty bad crashes last year, my goal this year was to ride crash free. Still a little over a week left to go but looks as if I'm going to reach it. It would have been nice to get in 10,000 miles this year but as of today, I only have 268 rides. Don't know what kind of mileage I would have if I rode those missing days. Goals for next year: repeat this year.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-24-13, 08:00 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I don't mean to sound trite or like a smart a$$, but my goal was to simply be alive at the end of, the year. I'm almost there.
Same here .... just be alive at the end of the year
Old 12-25-13, 08:50 AM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exceeded my goals

I exceded all my fitness goals.
One was to get below 210 pounds. I now weight 195.
Ride at least one 50 mile ride. I road 2 50 mile rides an an 80 mile ride.
Next was to be able to average 12 mph over a 12 mile ride. I now can average 14 mph over a 40 mile ride.
I did not have a goal for distance but if I did, It would not be even close to the 2300 mile I rode this year.

For the record, my 2014 goals are
Keep my weight below 195.
Do a century ride.
Be able to average 15 mph over a 50 mile ride.
Ride at least 2500 miles for the year.

Last edited by mrtuttle04; 12-25-13 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added 2014 goals
Old 12-25-13, 11:17 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Failed..miserably. Far too many riding days I felt all of my age (turned 71 today). Year before(2012) I had the leg and the stamina to stick with the faster A crowd for most rides. This year fatigue, muscle pain, and bewildering off balance issues put being anywhere but the back of the pack 'on the back burner'
Medical tests have ruled out a ton of stuff so I'm 'correcting' my entire diet and dialing wayyy back on caffine /caffine products.
Always Tomorrow..0
Old 12-25-13, 11:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Failed..miserably. Far too many riding days I felt all of my age (turned 71 today). Year before(2012) I had the leg and the stamina to stick with the faster A crowd for most rides. This year fatigue, muscle pain, and bewildering off balance issues put being anywhere but the back of the pack 'on the back burner'
Medical tests have ruled out a ton of stuff so I'm 'correcting' my entire diet and dialing wayyy back on caffine /caffine products.
Always Tomorrow..0
Happy Birthday and Holiday Season

Good luck next year.
Old 12-27-13, 07:59 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Started the year with a goal of riding 5000 miles - ended the year with less than 100 miles ridden. Was supposed to lose 50 pounds - Didn't make that goal either.

Starting in mid January, it took six months to diagnose my severe neck pain - couldn't turn my head to the left. Then starting in July the three neck surgeries spaced every other month to try to fix it kinda put a damper on riding at all. In the meantime, I've packed on a bunch of weight - probably 20 pounds. Now I have to lose almost 70 pounds to get to my target weight of 155. On the plus side, my two road rides are totally refurbished and ready to ride. Still need to rebuild the Mutt and the Schwinn Woodlands.

Thinking about joining a gym/rec center so I can get some swimming in for conditioning, and setting up my old-school rollers with resistance unit in the family room... Now that I'm retired, there is no excuse...
Old 12-27-13, 08:12 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by bkj
Next year I want to ride from Cincinnati to Cleveland or the Silver Comet/Chief Ladiga or something like that.
The diagonal across OH between Cincy and Cleveland has a rail-trail route about half finished.
Old 12-27-13, 03:45 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I don't mean to sound trite or like a smart a$$, but my goal was to simply be alive at the end of, the year. I'm almost there.
Hey NOS that was my goal as well. Unfortunate that I sat down to lunch just the other day opened the paper to the obits and saw my name! Made me wonder if I should finish lunch or not. I got more than one phone call checking to see if I was still amongst the living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.