Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Polar V650 Review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Polar V650 Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 05:12 PM
ColtJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar V650 Review

Hello,

A few weeks ago my LBS gave me a lucky opportunity to demo the new Polar V650 coming out in October given I was looking for a new cycling computer, etc...

I have a Garmin 510 and was thinking about the 1000 and thats how I ended up testing the V650.

The screen is pretty awesome, tough features are much better than the 510 that i'm used to.

I really like the heart rate feedback and how easy it is to use and setup, etc... I'm a bit of a nerd and being able to get some heart rate feedback is pretty cool given I do not have a power meter or a coach.

All in all, I really like it and will prob purchase one when they're released as from what I understand the price point will be very similar to the 510 and not the 1000.

For me it doesn't hurt as I have their V800 to get all other activity/workouts and sleep, so being able to see everything in one app is kinda cool.

day:

night:

The screen is larger but the unit is actually pretty thin so it's not cumbersome.

Not sure what others look for but the GPS has been reliable, battery life is at about 16 hours for me and it has a little flash light which comes on automatically at night.

Just thought i'd share as I haven't seen any mention of it (prob cause its not out).

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-15-14, 07:42 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for this to come out. Polar has kept pushing back the dates all year by a month or two, from what was initially I believe March. I'm in the market, so I'm trying to wait for it to be out and get some reviews before I make my decision. Sounds like it's a pretty nice unit. I like it because of the Bluetooth Smart compatibility since I already have that kind of HRM and would rather not have to buy another one that's ANT+ if I go Garmin.
Old 09-16-14, 10:26 AM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for this to come out. Polar has kept pushing back the dates all year by a month or two, from what was initially I believe March. I'm in the market, so I'm trying to wait for it to be out and get some reviews before I make my decision. Sounds like it's a pretty nice unit. I like it because of the Bluetooth Smart compatibility since I already have that kind of HRM and would rather not have to buy another one that's ANT+ if I go Garmin.
I actually didn't hear about it till last month but couldn't find any info on it. From what I understand it's being released in October so i'm content waiting a few more weeks.

I kinda like the bluetooth idea as it seems everything is going that way, also I like being able to use my phone as a backup to connect to all sensors if I forget my V650 or forger to charge it, etc...
Old 09-16-14, 03:18 PM
Quarker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty sure I will get the Polar V650 when it comes out. Been waiting a long time now - but only some weeks to go before release ☺
Old 09-17-14, 10:08 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Polar computers have been utter crap up till now. It would have to be light years better than the previous Polar offerings to even be mediocre.

It has shorter battery life than a Garmin 500, costs more, and is not ANT+, and therefore won't work with most power meters.

Additionally Polar's support for cycling products is abysmal. When I went through the debacle of the Look Polar Power pedals, the Polar rep admitted that they were more a HR/Running company, and their customer service reps were not well versed on the cycling products.

I'd pass.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-17-14, 11:04 AM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Polar computers have been utter crap up till now. It would have to be light years better than the previous Polar offerings to even be mediocre.

It has shorter battery life than a Garmin 500, costs more, and is not ANT+, and therefore won't work with most power meters.

Additionally Polar's support for cycling products is abysmal. When I went through the debacle of the Look Polar Power pedals, the Polar rep admitted that they were more a HR/Running company, and their customer service reps were not well versed on the cycling products.

I'd pass.
Not sure about before (kinda new to cycling), I do know some local guys and some guys and some in the caribbean that are running some old Polar units and are happy for whatever thats worth.

I bought the Garmin 510 when I did cause it seemed to be the best option at that price range (i was only just getting into cycling and didn't want to pay for an 810) but wanted something above the 500.

From what I understand they started as a HR company but my test of the V650 (personal opinion) it is a great product. As mentioned I do not have a power meter but the power meters i'd be interested in are bluetooth smart such as the stages (prob next year or later).

My LBS told me they're looking to get back into the cycling community big time so I can only assume it will be on par with all thats available if not better based on that piece of insight other not being Ant+ (not sure what other forms of popular communication methods is out there). Seems they haven't released something in a while and i'd say it only makes sense to release a new product that actually has merit, from a business (common sense) stand point anyway.

I guess we'll see once they're actually released but as mentioned, I already have some other products from them so it would work well for me to use one app, system. Maybe not so much for you. Either way, looking forward to the release.
Old 09-17-14, 06:34 PM
Salvos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would you rate the Polar CS600X? Found a decent price on one ($295). Would you suggest waiting for the V650?
Old 09-17-14, 06:53 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by Salvos
How would you rate the Polar CS600X? Found a decent price on one ($295). Would you suggest waiting for the V650?
Had one with Look polar power pedals. It was total crap. Poor battery life. Limited data storage. Prone to crash. Bad user interface. proprietary interface, no ANT+, no Bluetooth. Terrible customer support. Other than that,not bad.
Old 09-17-14, 06:57 PM
Salvos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had one with Look polar power pedals. It was total crap. Poor battery life. Limited data storage. Prone to crash. Bad user interface. proprietary interface, no ANT+, no Bluetooth. Terrible customer support. Other than that,not bad.
I'm basically looking for something that will track distance, speed, elevation & HR. Based on your experience (not a good one) do you think it would be good for those purposes? Is there one you would recommend?
Old 09-17-14, 08:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Garmin 500 will do all that, cheaper, and support all major power meters if you want to add that down the road.

Alternative is a $19 cycle computer, and the most basic Polar HRM.
Old 09-17-14, 09:13 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've been using Polar products since ~1997 and have had all good experiences. I've used their basic HRMs and the 625-725 series multi-sport computers. No GPS, so battery life is well over 1 year. Holds enough data to easily record a 2-week hiking trip. Doesn't sound like the OP needs GPS. Don't see any reason to go GPS unless one wants the mapping software, thus the Garmin 700-800-1000 series.

One might mention that Garmin products are rather famous for their impenetrable and undocumented user interface. Their engineers are automobile-focused and have adapted poorly to the needs of cyclists.

If I didn't need the mapping software, I wouldn't have a GPS unit. I very much like the multi-sport features of the Polar devices: cycling, hiking, running, gym, etc., all on the same device and same software, and all importable into TrainingPeaks, plus most gym equipment responds to a Polar HRM transmitter, not ANT+.
Old 09-17-14, 09:18 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salvos
No experience with older units but would wait for the new one. I was told it will be around ~$300.00. From my understanding the older units used wind technology but they're moving towards bluetooth so that's another reason I would wait a few weeks.
Old 09-17-14, 09:21 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've been using Polar products since ~1997 and have had all good experiences. I've used their basic HRMs and the 625-725 series multi-sport computers. No GPS, so battery life is well over 1 year. Holds enough data to easily record a 2-week hiking trip. Doesn't sound like the OP needs GPS. Don't see any reason to go GPS unless one wants the mapping software, thus the Garmin 700-800-1000 series.

One might mention that Garmin products are rather famous for their impenetrable and undocumented user interface. Their engineers are automobile-focused and have adapted poorly to the needs of cyclists.

If I didn't need the mapping software, I wouldn't have a GPS unit. I very much like the multi-sport features of the Polar devices: cycling, hiking, running, gym, etc., all on the same device and same software, and all importable into TrainingPeaks, plus most gym equipment responds to a Polar HRM transmitter, not ANT+.
Good to see good experiences, didn't know about the gym hardware.

The V650 does GPS and that data can be transferred to Strava etc... Just like Garmin.
Old 09-18-14, 03:18 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Multi-sport use is actually a good reason for GPS. I have just one device (an old Polar with the separate GPS receiver) for cycling, paddling and XC skiing.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 10-16-14, 10:16 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now its late november Hhhm maybe ill just bay the garmin 810 bundle for 380$ on discount? Opinions enyone? Dont really need that fancy stuff, but why not? Maybe the 510 Wood been great for me but it is only 50$ Less expencive. I will use HRM and cadens/speed sensor and not sure the cadens sensor is in the pack with the polar til 280£?
Old 10-16-14, 07:39 PM
Salvos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
Now its late november Hhhm maybe ill just bay the garmin 810 bundle for 380$ on discount? Opinions enyone? Dont really need that fancy stuff, but why not? Maybe the 510 Wood been great for me but it is only 50$ Less expencive. I will use HRM and cadens/speed sensor and not sure the cadens sensor is in the pack with the polar til 280£?
Yes, I read that it was November as well. Been also doing some research on the Wahoo RFLKT. Hearing some good things about it. Only issue is that I may need to upgrade my phone first as my 4S isn't cooperating too much these days.
Old 06-09-15, 04:20 PM
Smart2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I wonder if you used the speed and/or cadence sensors?I have a polar running watch and am interested in the v650. But... they only seem to do separate speed / cadence sensors, and the speed sensor seems to be front wheel only.
I'd prefer a combined rear wheel unit (for indoor trainer use) and wondered if any knew if one was available that worked with the polar??
Tganjs6
Old 06-09-15, 06:59 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I bought a RCX5 + GPS + speed sensor in February. It has performed flawlessly. I like that it will record both my running and riding. I have used Polar products for years and this is my best yet. It has been helpful being able to log my miles and vertical info. If I were just riding I might buy a dedicated bike unit, but this really fits my needs.
Having said all this, be forewarned: don't expect to get any answers or customer service from Polar. Their customer service really is abysmal. They sell millions of dollars of products but provide essentially zero customer service. My brother also has the RCX5, so I knew I wanted it based on his experience. Just be wary of expecting to get any advice on what can be very complicated devices.
Old 06-09-15, 07:32 PM
ColtJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the V650 I used a Wahoo cadence sensor, didn't even bother with a speed sensor. I'm sure a speed sensor would work as well or even a speed/cadence unit. As long as it's a Bluetooth sensor.

@Smart2k
Old 06-10-15, 11:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have an Edge bike computer mounted on my stem and a Fenix GPS watch. When I wear my chest strap, the Edge and the Fenix both display the same info (like 4.1 for zone) and the watch can show a graph of my heart rate over the last half hour.

I don't think that's possible with BLE, it's more like a phone call from one device to another; ANT+ is more like watching TV where one device can broadcast to as many others as you like.

In my case, you can only get at the data in the Edge by finding the USB cable and plugging it into a computer, but the watch just uploads automatically over BLE to the phone or wifi automagically. So the watch is the record keeper (eg for viewing the data later) and the Edge is a more convenient display (for seeing it now). I'm glad I can get the data to both places so I have it whenever I need it.

I'm not seeing any advantage of moving from ANT+ to BLE for things like heart, cadence, and power sensors.
Old 06-10-15, 04:12 PM
Smart2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - a quick look at the Wahoo Blue speed / cadence sensor suggests it is ant+ and bluetooth - so would be a worthy addition to my second bike, and mean that (if it didn't work with the polar) i could use it with my phone for turbo sessions... Might be worth a test.
Old 08-06-15, 03:48 PM
cain0472
roadrunner

Bikes: rocky mountain(hammer 2009), Gary fisher(perana), jamis (road bike), Felt (cyclo cross)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
polar V650

Originally Posted by Smart2k
Thanks - a quick look at the Wahoo Blue speed / cadence sensor suggests it is ant+ and bluetooth - so would be a worthy addition to my second bike, and mean that (if it didn't work with the polar) i could use it with my phone for turbo sessions... Might be worth a test.
Hi
I recently purchased a Polar V650, i have logged 600km since July, the issue iam having is: i cannot get my windows 7 to load the drivers for the V650...I have POLAR FLOW SYNC installed, and it asks me to plug in my device, each time i try the same issue...i went online to find out what drivers i need, but iam having no luck..would you or any of the other members know how to reslove this issue. really want to access the web service in flow sync, as my rides are mounting up in the V650...
thanks
Tom
Old 08-06-15, 04:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
This probably won't help but it's good to rule simple things out before you spend a bunch of effort trying to solve a problem.

Plug your v650 into a different USB port and use a different USB cable.
Old 08-06-15, 04:27 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

I'd pass.
AG has a Polar watch - V400 maybe? - for running. It's utter trash too. I hate Garmin, but that thing is even worse.

Why is making a good GPS watch or bike computer so hard?
Old 08-12-15, 02:56 PM
cpinilla1986

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
inclination

Originally Posted by ColtJ
On the V650 I used a Wahoo cadence sensor, didn't even bother with a speed sensor. I'm sure a speed sensor would work as well or even a speed/cadence unit. As long as it's a Bluetooth sensor.

@Smart2k
Hello, when you are using the wahoo cadence sensor do you get the inclination in degrees or percentage info, I read it only works when you get one. I want to get a duotrap S since I have a trek and was wondering if it would work,

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.