Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe G-One Allaround blowing off the rim. Why? Alternative?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Schwalbe G-One Allaround blowing off the rim. Why? Alternative?

Old 12-05-17, 10:30 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised you got those to fit over Stan's rims. Those rims are intentionally oversized, and the bead on the G-one doesn't stretch. G-ones really don't like oversized rims.

I am impressed at how well they hold air with no sealant.
Old 12-19-17, 07:39 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I wonder if Schwalbe willl everfess-up and issue a recall on these or if they will just wait for folks to have a problem and submit a warranty claim.
Old 12-24-17, 11:40 PM
Flamme Rouge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
I wonder if Schwalbe willl everfess-up and issue a recall on these or if they will just wait for folks to have a problem and submit a warranty claim.
Wtf?

I’ve got several thousand miles on a couple of sets of these tires. I’ve hit downhills at 50+ mph. I’ve had zero burps, zero blow offs, zero problems. I’ve run them on HED Belgium+ rims with 30 to 60 psi. I’ve run them on gravel, dirt roads, broken pavement and regular asphalt.

What exactly is your experience? You running tubed tires tubeless?
Old 12-25-17, 12:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This thread has determined that the problem is with Schwalbe G-One Allaround tires on American Classic 29" RACE wheels specifically. This specific combination does not work.

There is much success with these tries on other rims.

-Tim-
Old 02-15-18, 05:53 PM
bob1919a4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same problem

I just noticed this thread. I have had the same issue with the 38c version on Boyd Altamont rims. The first one happened with less than 20 miles on the tire. The second one happened with less than 500 miles. I run 35-50psi, depending on riding surface.

In both instances, I went in the garage and found the tire flat and half off the rim. I tried to remount but could not get the tire to seat with a pump as before. Using and air compressor, they inflated to around 35psi before popping off the rim.

Both tires were bought around the first of November from different suppliers. The first tire was replaced under warranty in November and I just submitted a claim for the second today. I just mounted my spare (from warranty) and noticed the following.

1. The two defective tires were easy to mount and inflate with a pump but almost impossible to get the bead to fully seat. After 60psi and several hours the beads fully seated.

2. The tires had a wobble when spun. Not real bad but easily noticed.

3. The warranty replaced tire went on very nicely. The tire went on the rim just as the other two with one lever to get the last little bit of bead on the rim. Inflated very easy with a pump and seated fully a lot easier than the other two.

It appears to me that the bead on the bad tires were slightly undersized (diameter) and was stretched excessively when mounted and rode. They just happened to give out in the garage and not while riding. That is a theory though. I am waiting on a response from schwalbe.
Old 02-15-18, 08:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Guitar Ted posited the theory that Shwalbe is using UST specs while American Classic closely matches Stans rims which use BSD specs. The result is incompatible tire/wheel combination which neither the tire nor the wheel manufacturer is going to admit because they don't want to limit sales.

See post number six at https://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.c...6&forum=494958 for a full explanation.

-Timp-
Old 02-18-18, 07:40 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

The UST standards for sidewall height of the rim is 5 or 6 mm. The American Classic rims have a 3mm sidewall height, but American Classic and Schwalbe both claim they are compatible with each other.

We now have had 4 of these tires blow off the rims of our customers, but fortunately all where when mounting or after riding and the bike was in the car or garage (messy, but no injuries thankfully). All of these tires were installed at our shop and none of these tires were over pressured. After each one blew, the bead on the side that blew off was easy to reinstall by hand, seeming to indicate the bead seemed to have stretched.

I have to say that with Schwalbe saying there is no defect, we have to assume all future tires will risk having the same problem so we will no longer installing this combination. On American Classic rims we are 100% problem-free with Compass and Challenge tires so that is what we are going to recommend.
Old 02-18-18, 09:30 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

^^

Good data points and the part about easy to reinstall and stretched bead is consistent with my experience.

Thanks!
Old 02-24-18, 07:29 PM
bob1919a4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Response from Schwalbe

Bought both tires the end of October 2017. Not sure how long they were in warehouse. Bought from 2 different vendors.

Below was part of the response to my warranty claim.

“Thanks for your warranty ticket #XXX and sorry to hear you’ve had this issue again. We had seen a few issues with runout and also had seen a few with our MTB tires when we released the Addix. Those issues have been resolved on the new batches and we have seen very little in the way of that issues.”
Old 04-19-18, 09:46 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

A guy I follow on Strava had a G-One blow off in the middle of a ride last night.

It is his third blow off.

He is using Stans Grail rims.

This is consistent with the Guitar Ted post at https://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.c...6&forum=494958

-Tim-
Old 04-19-18, 02:29 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
A guy I follow on Strava had a G-One blow off in the middle of a ride last night.

It is his third blow off.

He is using Stans Grail rims.

This is consistent with the Guitar Ted post at https://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.c...6&forum=494958

-Tim-
Uh oh, this is the combo I have.
Old 04-19-18, 02:47 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Must be something to do with the rim/tire combination. Schwalbe has been one of the more reliable manufacturers for tubeless and the G-One has become the OE tire on a number of gravel bikes.
Old 04-19-18, 02:57 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Must be something to do with the rim/tire combination. Schwalbe has been one of the more reliable manufacturers for tubeless and the G-One has become the OE tire on a number of gravel bikes.
Yes, they are OE on my new Niner RLT. Along with the Stans Grail.
Old 04-19-18, 03:12 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yes, they are OE on my new Niner RLT. Along with the Stans Grail.
Bizarre then, might be to do with installation. Something as critical to safety as this the bike manufacturer probably does plenty of testing with the wheel/rim manufacturers to be sure this combination works.
Old 04-20-18, 07:44 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Uh oh, this is the combo I have.
I'm interested to know how many miles and how long have you had them?

-Tim-
Old 04-20-18, 11:22 AM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm interested to know how many miles and how long have you had them?

-Tim-
Bought the bike new in February. First ride was February 15th. I have almost exactly 500 miles on them now, probably 85% on pavement, 15% dirt. Mine are the 38mm size, I weigh about 207#, on pavement I've been running 50/60 psi F/R. On dirt about 5 psi less. Stan's Grail ZTR rims, Stan's sealant. I've done nothing at all to them other than pump them up. They seem to lose air at just about the same rate as my road bike with tubes.

Last edited by jimincalif; 04-20-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-22-18, 07:45 PM
bob1919a4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Schwalbe they had a bad batch with excessive runout. They have replaced all three of mine with no problem. All three blew out while sitting (last one in a hotel room). Each had no more than 50psi. One tire had 20miles, second had around 50, third had about 900. I have had no problems with the replacements. Running them on Boyd Altamount rims.
Old 04-22-18, 09:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by bob1919a4
According to Schwalbe they had a bad batch with excessive runout.
Schwalbe is full of fecal matter.

-Tim-
Old 04-22-18, 10:05 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I'm about 100 miles into my Stan's Grail ZTR and G-Ones (38) on my new RLT9. Running mine at 50psi (F&R) on 80/20 asphalt so far. Picked up some glass in the rear yesterday but the sealant took care of it, fine otherwise. Might run the rear a bit higher (55/60) as I'm a bigger dude (250).
Old 04-23-18, 06:22 AM
pushstart

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I chatted with someone at Devils Backbone Monster Cross weekend before last, and he also had had a blowout w/ G-One. He said that he was also told there was simply a bad batch, which would seem to explain the quite different experiences of folks here.

E.g. I rode & raced a couple sets of these tires on Stans Grail rims with never an issue. After destroying my rims, though -- but no flats! -- I've switched to a LB carbon hookless wheelset, which has worked perfectly with the G-Ones.

I hope that their current tires are not exhibiting this problem, as this is certainly not giving them a very good reputation. Which is too bad since it is such a superlative tire.
Old 04-23-18, 07:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Schwalbe is full of ****. They are lying.

How does a "bad batch" explain warranty replacement tires blowing off the rims? Did they send warranty replacements from the bad batch of tires?

Schwalbe is splitting the difference between UST and BSD designs and their tires don't work well with BSD rims such as American Classic. They simply wont admit it and have made up a lie about a bad batch. That's all there is to it.

Your warranty tires are going to blow off the rims too. Mine did.

-Tim-
Old 04-29-18, 06:40 PM
bob1919a4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pushstart
I chatted with someone at Devils Backbone Monster Cross weekend before last, and he also had had a blowout w/ G-One. He said that he was also told there was simply a bad batch, which would seem to explain the quite different experiences of folks here.

E.g. I rode & raced a couple sets of these tires on Stans Grail rims with never an issue. After destroying my rims, though -- but no flats! -- I've switched to a LB carbon hookless wheelset, which has worked perfectly with the G-Ones.

I hope that their current tires are not exhibiting this problem, as this is certainly not giving them a very good reputation. Which is too bad since it is such a superlative tire.

that was me Pushstart spoke with. As to the other posts...I have no idea if they are lying or not but I will find out soon as I am going to mount the replacement tires soon. I just can’t assume that Schwalbe would admit to defective tires and replace them (especially when I had 900 miles on one) only to knowingly keep producing tires that has a problem.
Old 04-30-18, 04:18 AM
plohnes

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the problem..these "may" seem to set up OK on an AC rim....but I have no desire to be descending 40 mph rutted jeep road and wondering if these will blow off the rim
Old 05-07-18, 06:44 AM
dwmckee

I believe this issue is mainly with American Classic rims. The AC rims have a 3 mm high sidewall while standards for tubeless are for a 6 mm high sidewall. Despite the difference from the standard, both Schewalbe and AC claim the combination is certified and supported. AFAIK, Schwalbe has never fessed up to a problem publically. I can tell you from experience that after the tire blows off it is a lot easier to put back on, an easy flip, indicating the bead has stretched.