Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Packing Camp Stoves

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Packing Camp Stoves

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 10:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This stuff about Sawyer filters is silly. People need to read the instructions, that's all.

All the problems described in this thread will be avoided if the instructions are read and followed.

-Tim-
Sawyers instructions on storage

Before storing your filter, Sawyer recommends sanitizing your filter. This process is simple: Back flush filter. Run a standard bleach solution (fragrance free) through your filter (one cap of bleach per quart of water). Let air dry and then store in a cool, dry place OR store wet and clean before using.
I filtered a less than a gallon of water...probably less than 2L...through the filter from a very clean source. I didn’t sanitize the filter because I didn’t think it needed it. That would have made no difference either. Back flush? Check. Not necessary but I did it. I let it dry and stored it in my basement for about a year or two. When I went to use it again, it didn’t flow. What did I do wrong or contrary to the instructions? Nothing I can see.

If I were to be stupid enough to depend on these things again, I wouldn’t dry it out. I’d risk mildew by doing so. I’m not sure that’s a good option either.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-27-19, 06:23 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't know.

Testing a critical piece of gear before one heads out seems like common sense.

-Tim-
Old 03-27-19, 01:45 PM
Lovegasoline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Sawyer Mini Water Filter

Originally Posted by cyccommute
As I wasn’t expecting the filter to not work nor even expecting to have a problem, I wasn’t carrying vinegar (suggestions for getting it to flow again) nor the backflushing system (I didn’t have water to back flush with anyway).
This stuff about Sawyer filters is silly. People need to read the instructions, that's all.
All the problems described in this thread will be avoided if the instructions are read and followed.
-Tim-
cyccommute,
I have to agree with Timothy here.
Frustrating though it may be, the filter failure sounds like a case of what an old climbing partner of mine would call 'operator error'.
I've not tested my Sawyer Mini yet and it's still new in the box. I just now read through the instructions for the first time. They include this:

"Backwash the filter more often and with more force. Bring the light weight cleaning plunger on your trip, especially if it's a multi-day trip. It is important that the first backwash is strong so that it cleans out all the fibers rather than creating paths of least resistance.
If your filter is slow or plugged, try backwashing rigorously with hot water (no hotter than 140F/60C)"

It sounds like this filter requires routine back flushing as well as other periodic maintenance. There's a hierarchy of trouble shooting procedures to restore full functionality (plunging with the right technique, hot water plunging, removing calcium buildup with a vinegar soak).
The instructions explicitly state to bring the plunger along on multi-day trips. Had you followed that advice as well as the other usage instructions and the filter still failed, then a case can be made for a defective unit.

Tempting(!) as it must be to omit the plunger from one's kit (especially if one is a gram counter ultralight backpacker type) doing so seems like rolling the dice: one may get lucky and everything works perfectly with no snafus ... or one may be unlucky and get completely shut down. Operator error with this filter is likely an epidemic: I've read many reviews that heap praise on the Sawyer Mini as being trouble free and reliable, but just as many reviews which curse the filter. This filter obviously has it's own unique quirks which must be respected, accommodated, and planned for to avoid undesirable outcomes. The upside is an extremely lightweight and compact filtration unit.

The reminder to test out critical gear before departure (pre-flight inspection) even if it's inconvenient, is also very good advice.

Last edited by Lovegasoline; 03-27-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-27-19, 02:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Back to camp stoves, practice makes perfect and I'm starting to enjoy cooking on this little SnowPeak LiteMax.

Last night I sauteed garlic in olive oil, added some dehydrated tomatoes, Israeli couscous and water, cooked for eight minutes and voila!

Last night I slept in the tent and this morning I made oatmeal with orange slices and Copper Cow coffee as I watched the sun rise.

https://coppercowcoffee.com/

(much cheaper at Walmart)

-Tim-
Old 03-27-19, 05:29 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
I don't know.

Testing a critical piece of gear before one heads out seems like common sense.

-Tim-
It was tested. The one time I used it, it work well. If I had filtered gallons of water or filtered dirty water, I would say that you (and others) would have a point. This filter is said to be able to filter an almost infinite amount of water and I filtered only very, very, very small amount of water. I’ve used other water filters and haven’t had to “test” them when simply taking it out of storage.

Originally Posted by Lovegasoline
cyccommute,
I have to agree with Timothy here.
Frustrating though it may be, the filter failure sounds like a case of what an old climbing partner of mine would call 'operator error'.
I've not tested my Sawyer Mini yet and it's still new in the box. I just now read through the instructions for the first time. They include this:

"Backwash the filter more often and with more force. Bring the light weight cleaning plunger on your trip, especially if it's a multi-day trip. It is important that the first backwash is strong so that it cleans out all the fibers rather than creating paths of least resistance.
If your filter is slow or plugged, try backwashing rigorously with hot water (no hotter than 140F/60C)"

It sounds like this filter requires routine back flushing as well as other periodic maintenance. There's a hierarchy of trouble shooting procedures to restore full functionality (plunging with the right technique, hot water plunging, removing calcium buildup with a vinegar soak).
The instructions explicitly state to bring the plunger along on multi-day trips. Had you followed that advice as well as the other usage instructions and the filter still failed, then a case can be made for a defective unit.

Tempting(!) as it must be to omit the plunger from one's kit (especially if one is a gram counter ultralight backpacker type) doing so seems like rolling the dice: one may get lucky and everything works perfectly with no snafus ... or one may be unlucky and get completely shut down. Operator error with this filter is likely an epidemic: I've read many reviews that heap praise on the Sawyer Mini as being trouble free and reliable, but just as many reviews which curse the filter. This filter obviously has it's own unique quirks which must be respected, accommodated, and planned for to avoid undesirable outcomes. The upside is an extremely lightweight and compact filtration unit.

The reminder to test out critical gear before departure (pre-flight inspection) even if it's inconvenient, is also very good advice.
Read what I have written. Why would I need to “test” gear that had only been used once and stored according to the instructions? It’s somewhat akin to saying that I should completely disassemble a bicycle prior to each use. There should be no need for it.

Again, I will ask the question of what possible “operator” error there could be? I have used this kind of filter in a professional setting...we have them on megaohm water systems at work...so I’m not unfamiliar with them. Again, in hind sight, drying it was the mistake but I’m not pleased with the idea of leaving the filter full of water in storage. But the filter came to me in a dry state.

No, I didn’t take the plunger with me but I don’t usually have to filter from dirty streams.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-27-19, 06:38 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
As a result of reading this thread, other sources and my desire for something reliable and easy, I'm going to purchase the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe Stove. It's more expensive than many other stoves, but it seems like a good durable and reliable purchase.
Old 03-27-19, 08:52 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
As a result of reading this thread, other sources and my desire for something reliable and easy, I'm going to purchase the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe Stove. It's more expensive than many other stoves, but it seems like a good durable and reliable purchase.
My $13 dollar stove still works great after 2 years.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ity-ultralight There's only a 2 ounce difference in weight between the two. Without a BTU output on both stoves it's difficult to put any facts about how much better the MSR performed. And mine has never once sputtered as the review mentioned, not sure if that's because I use jetboil fuel vs MSR fuel they used in the test.

The MSR stove is a good stove no doubt, but at the cost they charge it isn't $55 better.
Old 01-24-22, 12:23 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
My $13 dollar stove still works great after 2 years.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ity-ultralight There's only a 2 ounce difference in weight between the two. Without a BTU output on both stoves it's difficult to put any facts about how much better the MSR performed. And mine has never once sputtered as the review mentioned, not sure if that's because I use jetboil fuel vs MSR fuel they used in the test.

The MSR stove is a good stove no doubt, but at the cost they charge it isn't $55 better.
Bump! Lots of good discussion in this thread.
It looks like the Etekcity stove is no longer available, but judging from the pictures/design and the number of reviews, it's been rebranded as AOTU, one of those no-name, Chinese-manufacturer-direct Amazon brands.

I was going to add that as a backup lighting mechanism one could carry a piezo igniter from a grill, but looks like MSR makes a camping-specific item, though reviews aren't great: https://www.rei.com/product/849683/m...-piezo-igniter
Old 01-24-22, 12:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18352 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've used my Whisperlite for backpacking in the past. I like the stove, although the one complaint is that it seems to start with flames all over a bit.

More recently, most of my trips have been without a stove.

For a short trip, a couple of days, one can carry a little extra gas. For a longer trip, my concern might be that I think I've only bought fuel by the gallon. That would be a lot of fuel to pack around.

There are some new solid fuel wood and paper stoves which would be worth looking into.
Old 01-24-22, 04:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Now that someone resurrected this four year old thread, I looked through at my previous posts in it, I still agree with all my prior comments.
Old 01-25-22, 09:27 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
I was going to add that as a backup lighting mechanism one could carry a piezo igniter from a grill, but looks like MSR makes a camping-specific item, though reviews aren't great...
Optimus makes one as well, also with not great reviews.

I carry an old Zippo lighter for backup.
Old 01-25-22, 09:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by HGuthertz
I vote for the Trangia alcohol burner.-used it last summer on a circumnavigation of Lake Michigan with absolutely no problems. It can burn denatured alcohol-available at hardware stores in the paint department; Heet-available at most gas stations in the northern tier; rubbing alcohol-90%- available at pharmacies; or even high-proof drinking alcoholic drinks - think Everclear.
Since that was written in 2017, we have a new fuel entry: 80%+ alcohol hand sanitizer. Not my first choice, as you might guess, but it'll work.

Fun fact: TSA will let you fly with 12oz of hand sanitizer (there are caveats, read their fine print).
Old 01-25-22, 10:00 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I toured with the MSR whisperlite for years, it was pretty good but getting white gas was a pain. I have the MSR PocketRocket with just the Evernew titanium 0.9L pot now although I rarely take a stove or cooking stuff anymore. A mini bic lighter to light
Old 01-25-22, 10:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

So, posts mentioning 40~50 y.o. Svea 123s and Coleman 400As got me to pondering: how will we camp cook in a carbon-free future?

Old 01-25-22, 11:12 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
So, posts mentioning 40~50 y.o. Svea 123s and Coleman 400As got me to pondering: how will we camp cook in a carbon-free future?

soylent green is green, ready to eat
Old 01-25-22, 12:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by tcs
... how will we camp cook in a carbon-free future?
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-26-22, 09:47 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Old 01-27-22, 06:01 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I gave up cooking while touring, and I love it. Some people need that feeling of settling in, and cooking a meal. Some people really enjoy that as part of their touring experience, and I did enjoy it for a while, but I grew to hate the fact that I was spending more time and fuss just to make a meal. I began exploring other options, and found out that unless I was in the back country for days on end, cooking wasnt really needed.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 01-28-22, 09:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
There was a restriction on the alcohol percentage where i first read about this. I don't recall the percentage, but it was manageable, but less than ideal (better that 70% isopropyl, but not as good as 190 proof ever clear). I can't seem to find any limit on the percentage listed now. Have they lifted it?
Old 01-28-22, 10:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by staehpj1
There was a restriction on the alcohol percentage where i first read about this. I don't recall the percentage, but it was manageable, but less than ideal (better that 70% isopropyl, but not as good as 190 proof ever clear). I can't seem to find any limit on the percentage listed now. Have they lifted it?
Here:
https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2019/06/21/...veling-alcohol

The caption below their photo suggests that they have a sense of humor which I was completely unaware of.

Good thing I finished this (see photo) off before I flew home.

Old 01-28-22, 10:19 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Here:
https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2019/06/21/...veling-alcohol

The caption below their photo suggests that they have a sense of humor which I was completely unaware of.

Good thing I finished this (see photo) off before I flew home.
I am pretty certain that the percentage I saw quoted by the TSA earlier was higher than what they quote for alcoholic beverages because I consider 70% barely useable for my stove if at all and thought what they mentioned for hand sanitizer was substantially better. I want to say it was 80%, but my memory is hazy on the number (it could conceivably been 85%). I have an 8 ounce bottle from a local distillery and recall that it met the requirement that I saw (I set it aside for that reason). It is labeled 80%.
Old 01-28-22, 02:44 PM
Tourist in MSN

I am pretty certain that the percentage I saw quoted by the TSA earlier was higher than what they quote for alcoholic beverages because I consider 70% barely useable for my stove if at all and thought what they mentioned for hand sanitizer was substantially better. I want to say it was 80%, but my memory is hazy on the number (it could conceivably been 85%). I have an 8 ounce bottle from a local distillery and recall that it met the requirement that I saw (I set it aside for that reason). It is labeled 80%.
From a security perspective, I would be surprised if they said that a bottle of liquid labeled for one purpose would have different allowable ratio of a flammable component than a liquid labeled for a different purpose. And TSA is supposed to only be concerned about security.

But their position on if a stove has any smell to it, that means they will confiscate it is a bit absurd when if your bottle of hand sanitizer or a bottle of booze is allowable when it is a flammable liquid, maybe they are just bending their rules to suit a particular purpose.
Old 01-28-22, 03:43 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
From a security perspective, I would be surprised if they said that a bottle of liquid labeled for one purpose would have different allowable ratio of a flammable component than a liquid labeled for a different purpose. And TSA is supposed to only be concerned about security.

But their position on if a stove has any smell to it, that means they will confiscate it is a bit absurd when if your bottle of hand sanitizer or a bottle of booze is allowable when it is a flammable liquid, maybe they are just bending their rules to suit a particular purpose.
After much searching, I can find no mention of alcohol percentage on TSA site and you may indeed be correct, but I suspect that they just opened a blanket exception for hand sanitizer.

I found the old thread where it was mentioned and the percentage mentioned was 80, but it looks like maybe I just assumed that a bottle of factory sealed unopened hand sanitizer would be okay if it was <12 ounces and there was no TSA mentioned percentage specific to sanitizer. Actually I still think that may be the case and have my doubts that they will have a problem with my sealed 80% bottle. I could be wrong though and they may apply the same standard as with drinking alcohol. They make no mention of that limitation anywhere I can find in connection with hand sanitizer though. I figure they just made a temporary blanket exception for hand sanitizer and didn't bother getting into specifics about alcohol content. As a result it may be a case where it may or may not go through. I am betting that they see sealed hand sanitizer and it goes right through.

There are lots of 80% sanitizers out there. I think they'ed have specifically mentioned it somewhere in the sanitizer requirements if 80% wasn't okay. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-28-22, 04:01 PM
Tourist in MSN

After much searching, I can find no mention of alcohol percentage on TSA site and you may indeed be correct, but I suspect that they just opened a blanket exception for hand sanitizer.

I found the old thread where it was mentioned and the percentage mentioned was 80, but it looks like maybe I just assumed that a bottle of factory sealed unopened hand sanitizer would be okay if it was <12 ounces and there was no TSA mentioned percentage specific to sanitizer. Actually I still think that may be the case and have my doubts that they will have a problem with my sealed 80% bottle. I could be wrong though and they may apply the same standard as with drinking alcohol. They make no mention of that limitation anywhere I can find in connection with hand sanitizer though. I figure they just made a temporary blanket exception for hand sanitizer and didn't bother getting into specifics about alcohol content. As a result it may be a case where it may or may not go through. I am betting that they see sealed hand sanitizer and it goes right through.

There are lots of 80% sanitizers out there. I think they'ed have specifically mentioned it somewhere in the sanitizer requirements if 80% wasn't okay. I could be wrong though.
You certainly could be correct. And what is in a carry on bag is scrutinized much more than a checked bag. Your bottle if in a checked bag would probably sail through.

A few years ago I saw a small article in the business news that TSA would start allowing knives with blades 2 inches or less in the near future. A year later I remembered that article, had my small swiss army knife on my key chain, thought nothing of it on my way to the airport. TSA confiscated it. I asked and asked further up the chain why they said in the news that it would be ok. Answer was that they wanted to allow them, but the flight attendant assoc was opposed so they chose to pander to the flight assoc instead. And I lost my knife. And we are not any safer. That size knife is legal in Canada and they are not any less safe there than we are.

I am ranting again. Sorry. I will be quiet now.
Old 01-28-22, 06:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

The TSA alcohol (booze) link above dates from 8 months before the start of the pandemic. Just sayin'.

After much searching...There are lots of 80% sanitizers out there. I think they'd have specifically mentioned it somewhere in the sanitizer requirements if 80% wasn't okay.
^ This, with the understanding that if you need to make a flight, the TSA agent is god.

Hand sanitizer is well down my list of preferred fuels, but I did some test cooking with the ol' Trangia + 80% hand sanitizer, and, I dunno, it was okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.