Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cargo Bibs and a Technical Tee?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cargo Bibs and a Technical Tee?

Old 05-06-19, 01:26 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I purchased a pair of the core cargo bibs. I had purchased a Rapha long sleeve jersey around christmas time and wanted matching rapha bibs. Since I already have perfectly fine black bibs I wanted to add something a little different to my wardrobe. I rode them for the first time a couple weeks ago and they were great. My phone and cliff bar stayed in the leg pockets all day while my keys and extra tube stayed in the back cargo pockets. Jersey pockets were left open for extra food and storing clothing layers. They worked great and I don't notice my phone or cliff bars all day.

I loved carrying my phone and food in the leg pockets. Quicker, easier access. Plus I have a shoulder problem and reaching around a jersey pocket sometime strains my left shoulder.

Now that it's getting warmer I am looking forward to riding with long sleeve tees and the cargo bibs.

They are fun. They mix it up. I ride bikes to have fun, why not have fun with the clothes as well.
Old 05-07-19, 04:30 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I love the idea. Sadly for me like for may Rapha is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of my financial league. I often do not wear a jersey and look to carry a phone or key and need sport my very cool and sexy and sleek waist pack. Having the option of ,ore storage = a good thing.
Old 05-23-19, 07:56 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
I would never want to have a loose jersey. That's the opposite of the jersey's purpose. The only jersey I own right now is a little over a year old and it's a little stretched out because of that. I can't wait to buy a new one that fits well. I think jerseys should always have a race fit and also the pockets shouldn't be so flimsy. I remember Cadence came out with bibs that had thigh pockets. I think it's a great idea. Although Cadence' bibs were definitely better designed and higher quality, they are no longer available and the bibs from Rapha look like the pockets are flimsy.
Old 05-24-19, 02:35 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
I would never want to have a loose jersey. That's the opposite of the jersey's purpose. The only jersey I own right now is a little over a year old and it's a little stretched out because of that. I can't wait to buy a new one that fits well. I think jerseys should always have a race fit and also the pockets shouldn't be so flimsy. I remember Cadence came out with bibs that had thigh pockets. I think it's a great idea. Although Cadence' bibs were definitely better designed and higher quality, they are no longer available and the bibs from Rapha look like the pockets are flimsy.
I can confirm that pockets on the core cargo shorts from Rapha are anything but flimsy*. I carry phone, cliff bars and throw a GoPro in them as well when I want a camera better than my dumpy phone. Everything stays in the pockets well. Also rode in a light button up shirt on saturday and it was nice. On the road it was a little flappy but once I was off on the single track it was nice to have a shirt my body can breath a little in. I won't ride in that shirt all the time but it was nice to mix it up. Different strokes for different folks.

*Also can confirm that I am in no way paid to be so happy about these cargo shorts hahaha.
Old 05-24-19, 04:04 AM
shroomaroom

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 20, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Gotta say I just received the Cargo Short this morning and I am very pleased with the quality. Doesn't feel flimsy at all. Such an improvement in fit from the **** B-twin one I had. This one just looks good and the pockets are perfect for keys and snacks. Will test ride it tonight or tomorrow but initial impressions are excellent. Also, super super fast shipping from Rapha !

Last edited by shroomaroom; 05-24-19 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 03:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by shroomaroom
Gotta say I just received the Cargo Short this morning and I am very pleased with the quality. Doesn't feel flimsy at all. Such an improvement in fit from the **** B-twin one I had. This one just looks good and the pockets are perfect for keys and snacks. Will test ride it tonight or tomorrow but initial impressions are excellent. Also, super super fast shipping from Rapha !
Let us know how much you load them and if there is any movement or chafing.

-Tim-
Old 05-26-19, 06:33 AM
shroomaroom

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 20, Surly Steamroller

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Let us know how much you load them and if there is any movement or chafing.

-Tim-
So I've done a quick 50km ride with it yesterday and besides the fact that it's really confortable the pockets are great ! I've put my keys, snacks, phone, gloves and cycling cap at one point or another into the pockets and you soon forget you have a "cargo" short while pedaling. Nothing moves. Even the keys with many sharp edges work fine with the mesh of the pockets which feels solid and dense. Absolutely no chafing as well, like I said, much more confortable than any semi-cheap bib I've had before. They feel luxurious !
Likes For shroomaroom:
Old 06-20-19, 01:03 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Anyone have the Rapha Cargos and Castelli Free Aeros? Just wondering how the sizing compares.
Old 06-21-19, 04:30 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Patagonia recently released a bib liner with cargo pockets (lots of mesh, so needs a pair of overshorts). Looks like a good product, but Patagonia isn't really known for making cycling gear.
Old 06-22-19, 10:09 PM
scotton
noodly appendage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
For the T-shirt thing, a while ago I bought 3 safety yellow tech tees at Wallys for about $8 each, sized one smaller than normal. Then, since I'm not old enough to know a seamstress, I got out the sewing machine and put two pockets on the back of each one. I wear them all the time when doing solo rides and don't want to get a jersey dirty.

My next invention is going to be the JersVerter (TM). Imagine cutting the pockets off of a jersey and sewing elastic straps to the sides with clips on the end of the straps, like sideways suspenders. Then you could take any T-shirt and clip the JersVerter (Pat. Pend.) on the back, giving you pockets and stretching the shirt tight (no more parachute effect). When you get to the bar/store/dance club/organic farmers market, you can unclip the JersVerter (Copyright 2019) and you are wearing a normal (sweaty) T-shirt. Or you can move the clips on one side around to the front and have a fashion forward fanny pack. Although when you wear it on the front, I don't know if you call it a fanny pack.

Can't help with the cargo shorts, I thought we as a species had agreed to stop wearing those, not find new uses for them.
Old 06-24-19, 04:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I noticed Di Marchi Perfecto Trail Bib Shorts for $170.88 USD @ Chain Reaction

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod179688

There don't seem to be photos of the mesh pockets. The pad is by Elastic Interface so I'm sure it is good.

The manufacturer's page for the product is https://www.demarchi.com/en/product.php?ID=373.

-Tim-
Old 06-24-19, 05:24 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I've been wearing technical tees for the past two years as I've yet to find a quality cycling specific jersey that fits me. I'm typically a 2XL but with cycling gear there's some 4XL (Castelli) that don't even pass as sausage casing. I picked up a 6-pack of technical tees that fit great and cost less than a single a Rapha / Castelli / insert other high-end brand top.

But I went the handlebar bag route, my wife and I went to visit Swift in Seattle and I had a bag custom made for me that works out great. I was always a packrack anyway, in 2019 alone I've handed out 7 tubes and 6 CO2 cartridges to riders who were ill prepared on a popular MUP by where I live.
Old 06-26-19, 09:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
:}
Will the pedal waxer be providing a review of these bibs after RCR?

-Tim-
Old 06-27-19, 06:13 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Old 06-27-19, 07:25 AM
DoJoMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Anyone have the Rapha Cargos and Castelli Free Aeros? Just wondering how the sizing compares.
I'm a 32"-33" waist. I am a Large in Castelli Free Aeros (and they are a little tight). I bought the Rapha Cargo in Medium and they are perfect.
Likes For DoJoMN:
Old 06-27-19, 08:17 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by DoJoMN
I'm a 32"-33" waist. I am a Large in Castelli Free Aeros (and they are a little tight). I bought the Rapha Cargo in Medium and they are perfect.
Perfect, I'm the same in Castelli, thanks!!

Now they just need to get more in stock!

Last edited by Rides4Beer; 06-27-19 at 08:23 AM.