Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Big Guys 270+ What Are You Riding?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Big Guys 270+ What Are You Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 02:55 PM
Jerry in So IL
Rabbit Habbit!

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buttmonkey
6'2" and 260 when I started in Oct. Took a month or so off because of weather and work and just getting back to pedaling again. '08 Giant FCR1 has been good to me. Rack and I carry lots of junk around, be it groceries or tools for my job or who knows what. Switched to Specialized Armadillo tires also but no real changes otherwise.
Giant's FCR is a GREAT riding bike! It handled great and is a quick bike for the urban setting. I rode the 1 and 2 and ALMOST came home with the 2, but the LBS gave me a great deal on a left over OCR. Even though the FCR2 felt a little "cheap" in the cockpit area, the shifter and brake levers were a nice upgrade.

Thought long and hard about it, but went with the OCR because I could slap on aero bars on it without allot of problems. The FCR would have required more moving of stuff on the handlebars if not a new set of handlebars.

If I could have afforded it, I would have came home with both the OCR2 and the FCR1! Still itching to put the FCR in layaway!

Jerry
Old 02-20-09, 04:27 PM
BearsysRevenge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just posted the specs for my new(first, really) rig in a different thread.

I have about .2 miles on it right now as I've been very sick.
So I can't give any opinion one way or another, other than it looks awesome.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...6&postcount=34
Old 03-06-09, 09:30 PM
puckpack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jesspal
I ride 09 Cannondale Caad9 7, with cxp22 rims. I love the bike and it has been very good to me so far. Before that i rode a POS wallyworld gt mtb. 5'11" 280
I am roughly the same size, 5'11" and 270, what frame size did you go with? I am looking at a returned 56cm.
Old 03-07-09, 08:25 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6' 280 lbs. Riding the Gary Fisher Tiburon for now. Would like to step into a mtn bike and road bike soon.
Old 03-08-09, 03:50 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by puckpack
I am roughly the same size, 5'11" and 270, what frame size did you go with? I am looking at a returned 56cm.
I ride a 56, the bike is much more comfortable than people make it sound. Although I don't have any other road bike to compare it too. Plan on budgeting for a new saddle, because the stock saddle is a ash hatchet. Other than that I changed the bar tape, to match saddle color.(yes lame) Also wore out the stock tires pretty fast so needed to upgrade those after 1000 miles.
Old 03-09-09, 07:52 PM
BHay

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 6'6" and 270 I was in a quandary 8 years ago when I started riding again. I wanted something new and cool so steel was out. I didn't have the money for Ti and I didn't think Carbon was proven for heavy riders (at least at the time). I bought a CAAD 5 aluminum frame from Cannondale and loved it. It ran solid for about 6k miles until the derailer snagged a spoke during a climb and broke into two pieces. One of them slammed the seat stay causing a nasty crease that turned into large crack later. In fairness to the frame the same damage would have resulted regardless of rider weight. I moved the parts to a CAAD 9 frame that I now have about 3k on. It has been abosultly rock solid under my weight. BTW- the riding included 2 Triathons, many centuries and 3 trips at 160 miles in a day.
Old 03-10-09, 07:36 AM
Fleet
WWE Champion

Bikes: 1988 REI Special BananaBike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'5", started at 335lbs on a Specialized Hardrock Sport. Totally stock. Replaced the fork after 3 months. Great upgrade. Now no issues at all. Last year, at 290lbs, I got a Kona Dew. It is still stock, no issues. I've never popped any spokes on any bike at any weight. I do check my tire pressure before every ride, and keep the tires to the max pressure recommended on the tires. Thats what the LBS recommended.

When I get down another 50lbs, I'm going to sell the Dew and get a road bike. Hopefully in a year or so. I'm also intriged by 29ers, but my Hardrock is solid for offroad use.
Old 03-10-09, 08:04 AM
chainsaw5vent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'1O 298 lbs. merlin extralight w/race face triple cranks/dura ace components w/700x23 tires. most riding lately has been w/ 8 yo son into the big field while on slick street tires
gt lts-1 that is gathering dust and spider webs in the garage.
Old 03-11-09, 11:25 AM
gkieser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'5", 345#, and I ride a Trek 7.3FX. I do bike patrol at work, and I have the same bike at home. I ride them hard. At home, I tow my 40# kid in a bike trailer. Nothing has broken yet, but I bet I will start snapping spokes this summer. That's when I will get both wheels rebuilt by hand with the heaviest spokes the rim will take, and then never have to even true them again. I've been through this pattern with several bikes.

I did break my old Trek 7000 MTB once, but I got it replaced through the lifetime warranty. Trek's customer service won them a customer for life.
Old 03-11-09, 11:35 AM
SmokedDeathDog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chainsaw5vent-

How old is your Merlin Extralight? Does it have the butted tubing? I have a Merlin Agilis that I got about 5 years ago. I just upgraded it to 10 speed Dura-Ace for Christmas, it was 8 speed Dura-Ace. I really love the bike, but I really wanted the Extralight. Do you have any pictures?

Ron
Old 03-11-09, 12:13 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
big boyzzz

My all time max was 283 and I am now down to 255 at 5' 11". I started riding a Bike E recumbent and soon purchased a Rans V2 steel long wheelbase recumbent. Since then I have been riding a Surly Long Haul Trucker with 36 spoke wheels and Mavic T520 rims coupled with Schawale marathon 700x47 (41mm actual) tires inflated to between 60-70 psi.
I also ride an old mid 80's Raleigh aluminum and steel composite frame that has been converted to a 'two speed' and it has 36 spoke wheels and 1.25" wide tires inflated to 90 psi. This bike doesn't get ridden on hills or rough surfaces. I also ride from time to time a Trek 850 mountain bike that has been 'streetified' and one or two other bikes both steel and with 36 spoke wheels. I believe it is important to ride steel frames and high spoke count wheels coupled with wider tires if you are over 200 pounds. You can get away with less for a while if you are careful or if you only ride on smooth surfaces but you will eventually break a bike made for a 170 pound rider. At the very least you will suffer pinch flats and broken spokes.
My recommendation for a solid bike would be a Surly Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker for a road bike or any other touring style bike that is made for carrying loads. Most steel frame mountain bikes from the mid 80's to mid 90's are a good alternative for a non suspended bike that can be made to work on the street. Some of the new mountain bikes with suspension are engineering marvels but I am not sure what the load limits are for various models. To me simple is better both from a maintenance standpoint and cost. Skinny high pressure tires, low spoke count wheels, light frames and anything carbon fiber is not for Clydesdale use IMHO.
Old 03-14-09, 02:11 AM
kmac76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'4" @ 295 lbs
seven mudhoney - ti cx bike
klein quantum - oversized aluminum - becoming a ss
Old 03-14-09, 12:37 PM
roost5o

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'6" 280
Road: Cannondale CAAD 5 w/Easton EA90SL wheels and Dura Ace comp.
MTB: Giant Rincon with some upgrades
Old 03-14-09, 01:36 PM
fatbiker

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent 4.0, Schwinn 564 Aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6' 280 - 2006 Raleigh Cadent 4.0 with upgraded DT Swiss wheels. It's a bonded aluminum/carbon frame ~3000 miles no issues.

[URL="https://https://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-cadent/pages/raleigh-cadent01.html"]
Old 03-14-09, 04:50 PM
Aeneas
Clyde that Rides

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'2, 340 as of this AM... I ride a 2008 Jamis Aurora. I use it for long recreational rides and my summer time commute. I love this bike, although I could probably go with a 57 cm frame rather than a 55. My other bike is a 2005 Trek 7300FX which is my wet weather commuter and grocery getter.
When it comes to wheels, I've had my share of issues with non-drive side rear spokes, especially on machine made wheels, the rear on the 7300FX I had rebuilt after probably 250 miles (and 3 years, mostly sat in the garage) and I've been very carefully monitoring the Aurora's rear and adjusting it as necessary. Last time I took it to have it checked out, the wrench at the shop where I bought it was impressed at my truing skills... thus my next step, learning to build my own wheels.
Old 03-14-09, 05:23 PM
Ed in GA
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5' 10" @ 251lbs

2008 Trek Madone 4.5 pictured below. A few changes on the bike since the photo was taken.

It now has a 40deg Stem (A lot more comfortable for me), An SMP Pro Strike Saddle and all of the reflectors are gone.

Old 03-14-09, 06:22 PM
wireless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'5" and 270 - Giant TCX . Over 4000 miles in 2 seasons - no problems so far. Just asking shop guys to check my wheels every other month.
Old 03-14-09, 08:49 PM
ontologik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'78 Panasonic Tourist SS conversion. Old 27" wheels are pretty tough.
Old 03-16-09, 07:13 AM
chainsaw5vent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokedDeathDog
Chainsaw5vent-

How old is your Merlin Extralight? Does it have the butted tubing? I have a Merlin Agilis that I got about 5 years ago. I just upgraded it to 10 speed Dura-Ace for Christmas, it was 8 speed Dura-Ace. I really love the bike, but I really wanted the Extralight. Do you have any pictures?

Ron
yo dog.
i don't have any pix and the frame is from 1993 or 92. i don't know if it's butted because i bought it used back in 94 from a guy whose wife told him he had to get rid of one before he got another..
the size is about 57 cm but the top tube was long for me since i had come from a schwinn prologue. after suffering shoulder pain and not understanding why, i put both bikes side by side and saw that the extralight was about 1 1/2 inches longer in the top tube. pain mystery solved! went back to store and got a shorter stem.
a couple of years ago i got a 'fat butt' seat w/more padding because i couldn't handle the flite saddle that i hadn't ridden in years.
i just simply need to ride more.
Old 05-07-09, 04:45 PM
MikeOnBike

Bikes: LeMond Sarthe, Schwinn Voyager 11.8, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm down to about 260' now but coming down from 280' last year and have been riding these for a several years.

'06 Lemond Sarthe - primary road bike
'92 Specialized Hardrock - year-round commuter
'80 Schwinn Voyager 11.8 - previous road bike

Thinking about a Jamis Dakota 29er.
Old 05-07-09, 08:40 PM
prxmid
dolce far niente

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, 5'11" and 260 on the way to 215. I ride a Canondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace with Mavic Kyrsium wheels. I have been concerned that this set up is for a 150lbr. Glad to hear people ride similar gear with few problems
Old 05-07-09, 09:18 PM
xyzzy834

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fluctuated between 300 and 315 lbs when I began riding after a 20 year drought. Not only was I concerned about finding a bike that would carry me, I wanted to load 50-60 lbs of gear on it and go touring.

I put together a Fuji Touring bike frame with parts I thought were suitable to the task.

It has been rock solid reliable. I've never broken a spoke or had any other problems. I was especially concerned about the wheels. I didn't want to be worrying about hitting a bump and potato chipping a wheel while rolling down a hill at 35+ mph. I have no fear with the 48-spoke wheels I use on that bike.

Here's an accompanying article I wrote about the various components I used to build it (click the link):

How to haul a big man and his gear on two wheels

I ride every day and I'm now down to 250 lbs. I treated myself to a new Cannondale Synapse for a more sporty bike for local riding. I still tour on my Fuji.

Last edited by xyzzy834; 05-08-09 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-07-09, 09:46 PM
sedanman
Clydesdale Newbie

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy, Schwinn Panther

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6.0 280lbs I ride a Schwinn Panther aluminum newsboy bike that was a single speed with only a rear "U" brake. I converted it to a 9 speed with a Deore derailer and added a front V brake. I also ride a Cannondale Bad Boy, an earlier model with 26" wheels.
Old 05-08-09, 07:41 PM
d18rc

Bikes: Trek 1000, Surly LHT, Bianchi Pista, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I metioned in a prior post, from 270+ to 240 I rode a Trek 1000 with no problems. It is now my rainy day/winter bike and I've started riding a Surly LHT to work, usually at least twice a week, 19 mi round trip. For me anyway, this commuting thing has been a nice way to get in a good portion of my weekly exercise. I've installed Kool Stop brake pads, lights, Axiom handlebar bag, trunk and carrier. Like the Trek, it has been trouble free and better manages to tame the ugly hill between me and work.
Last Weight Watchers meeting I was 227.
Good luck,
Roy Curry (you bite it, you write it)
Old 05-08-09, 10:21 PM
Big Fat Paulie
Fat man on a little bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Fat Paulie

Big Fat Paulie Rides a Trek 820. Only just got it today so don't know yet about durability etc. Shop owner told me he has sold bigger folks the same bike and they all held. Only thing is wheels may need work after awhile or I could get handbuilt wheels. Bike came with 36 spokers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.