Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Barn bike pile - "60's and 70's" including mixte "Sabre"

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 04:06 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

So this guy is selling a bunch of stuff out of his barn, but hadn't listed the bikes. I saw the mixte and though it was interesting. Looks like "Sabre" on the downtube, but can't find anything like that on the internet. I emailed him, asked if he'd consider selling them and if he could tell me any more about them. He's 30 minutes in the wrong direction from work, thinking about going to check them out next Monday.
I'm thinking early 1970s, especially on the mixte. The green bike in back could be a schwinn, but I'm not sure on that, really too hard to tell anything from the pics so far.

What would you do? Check it out? Pass? I'm thinking these are in the $25 - $50 range. Probably no butted tubesets in there, what with the big seatpost collar clamps. The only bike I know for certain what it is is the early 90's Murray that's worth approximately negative $5.

Old 07-31-18, 04:17 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I think I'd keep driving.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 07-31-18, 04:27 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Pile of scrap metal there. I'd need to get paid to take them.

Last edited by wrk101; 07-31-18 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 04:55 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

+1

---

why fill your finite space with chaff?

---

verdurous bit agin back wall be a Sears Steyr

---

SABRE - wonder if corner of board in foreground may be hiding one or two letters in front of the S...

​​​​​​​-----
Old 07-31-18, 05:06 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Scaaaaarap. Total pass.
Old 07-31-18, 05:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You could probably resell the bikes for about $30 each in the current condition (with some scrubbing).

With cleaning, polishing and tuning, and new parts, maybe around $100 each.

It really depends on how much the seller is willing to deal, and whether there are some other gems in there. And, of course, whether you wish to put the energy into fixing them up to flip.
Old 07-31-18, 06:03 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Yeah, I was thinking it would be about $100 each cleaned up, and I already have a pretty long list of projects, including some real scores.

I did have a blast fixing up the monkey wards, but don't have space for four of those projects. These would have to stay outside until I could get to them
​​​

Last edited by rocks in head; 07-31-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 06:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
To get the $100 out of them, you'll need to invest in new tires, tubes, brake pads, rim tape, bar tape, grease, bearings, etc.

It would be a fund project, but it won't be a simple project if you expect good results that you wish to sign your name to.

To make it worth anything, you really have to acquire the bikes for nearly free. Plus, acquire cheap consumables.
Old 07-31-18, 07:46 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Things aren't moving that well in many areas. Pick your battles wisely. Better quality bikes that you can use, and that are dirt cheap, is the way go.,
Old 07-31-18, 08:09 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
To get the $100 out of them, you'll need to invest in new tires, tubes, brake pads, rim tape, bar tape, grease, bearings, etc.

It would be a fund project, but it won't be a simple project if you expect good results that you wish to sign your name to.

To make it worth anything, you really have to acquire the bikes for nearly free. Plus, acquire cheap consumables.
-----

+1

Well writ!

There is an old time saying in buying for resale - "You make your money when you buy, not when you sell." Since market forces determine what can be sold and for what price.

-----
Old 08-01-18, 06:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I agree with the above comments. However, I thought I'd post to anwser the OP's query on the Sabre, for posterity. Sabre was a brand of Mitsui, an Osaka based Japanese trading company. Mitsui started importing Sabre in the late 1970s, around the same time as its more famous Soma brand and another obscure brand, Wow. All the bicycles were contract manufactured. The subject bicycle appears to be very early 1980s. The manufacturer may be Kuwahara, as they were a known source for Soma during this period. On the remote possibility that the OP goes to see the bicycles, I'd appreciate the serial number for the Sabre, to add it to my database. TIA.
Old 08-01-18, 06:59 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
The green bike at the back is probably a Sears Steyr-Puch-built 5 speed - I dimly remembering having one like that pass through my hands at one point. The big blue bike might be a c.1984 Motobecane Mirage.
Old 08-01-18, 07:51 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I agree with the above comments. However, I thought I'd post to anwser the OP's query on the Sabre, for posterity. Sabre was a brand of Mitsui, an Osaka based Japanese trading company. Mitsui started importing Sabre in the late 1970s, around the same time as its more famous Soma brand and another obscure brand, Wow. All the bicycles were contract manufactured. The subject bicycle appears to be very early 1980s. The manufacturer may be Kuwahara, as they were a known source for Soma during this period. On the remote possibility that the OP goes to see the bicycles, I'd appreciate the serial number for the Sabre, to add it to my database. TIA.
Thanks T-Mar, I was wondering if I wasn't mis-reading the downtube or if letters were covered up, but couldn't think of anything else that ended in Sabre other than the car. My '81 Soma Competition was a Kuwahara build with Tange Champion #2 tubing and a Kuwahara headset, but it had higher end components than this mixte. There's at least mention of Soma out on the internet, and a few showing up here other than the one I used to own, Never heard of Sabre or Wow. Still maybe 50/50 on whether I'll check these out or not. Been looking at too many bikes recently and not fixing as fast as I should. If I do I'll definitely get the details on it, and serial #.

Thanks others for the tentative ID on the green bike - I thought I recognized the "backgammon" seat-tube graphic, but wasn't placing it right. It's probably very much like the Monkey Wards I just did, 10-15 hours of work and net $40.
Old 08-01-18, 07:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by rocks in head
Yeah, I was thinking it would be about $100 each cleaned up, and I already have a pretty long list of projects, including some real scores.

I did have a blast fixing up the monkey wards, but don't have space for four of those projects. These would have to stay outside until I could get to them
​​​
$100 each? Maybe for the best one. But the crappy Sears in the back is not a $100 bike. Got to figure there is more junk than gold in the pile. Imagine dumping $50 each into those bikes: tires, tubes, cables, bar tape, chains, etc. If I put $50 into each one, I might get $75 out of it. So say I paid $10 per bike. I'd be making $15 for four to six hours time. Around here anyway, the low end vintage bike market is dead, dead, dead.

I'm now asking $130 for a lot better bike than any of those that I just refurbished. Cromoly frame, DT shifters, 700C alloy rims, alloy bars, stem, seat post. Its a credible LBS branded bike. Zero response. I usually don't mess with lower end LBS bikes, I did this one as a test. It failed. Figure I spent $50 on consumables on this bike, plus whatever I paid for it, plus four hours of work.

I would much rather work on a couple of more desirable bikes, than deal with a pile of duds. I run out of time first. With a dead market right now, I am doing more part outs than ever before.

If you can get $100 each out of those bikes after you fix them up, good for you. You have a better market. But still dumping $50 to $75 into consumables and parts, plus whatever you paid for them, to gross $100? Thats a loser, and one or two surprises and the meager profit is gone and you will be losing money on each of them. IME, neglected bikes are full of negative surprises.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-01-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 08:10 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Originally Posted by wrk101
$100 each? Maybe for the best one. But the crappy Sears in the back is not a $100 bike. Got to figure there is more junk than gold in the pile. Imagine dumping $50 each into those bikes: tires, tubes, cables, bar tape, chains, etc. If I put $50 into each one, I might get $75 out of it. So say I paid $10 per bike. I'd be making $15 for four to six hours time. Around here anyway, the low end vintage bike market is dead, dead, dead.

I picked up a lot nicer bike than any of those, put $25 into it, rebuilt headset and wheel hubs, I'm now asking $130 for it. Zero response. I usually don't mess with lower end LBS bikes, I did this one as a test. It failed.

I would much rather work on a couple of more desirable bikes, than deal with a pile of duds. I run out of time first. With a dead market right now, I am doing more part outs than ever before.
well, all I have to go on is selling the Wards for $100, in about a week. Bike $25, tires $20, brake pads $4, tubes $10, grips and steel handlebar out of the stash. That particular one I was escaping from my in-laws so I consider it time well spent. I'm definitely also working on nice bikes, but the problem with nice bikes is I want to keep them. That said, the market for "Tweed Ride" sorts of bikes may be close to saturated, since half the participants ride bike-share bikes anyway. Also, the market for nice vintage road bikes may be saturated as well.
Old 08-02-18, 12:50 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

@T-Mar T-Mar, the SN on that Sabre is F79K6623 June of '79? It was Sabre Executive mixte, suzue hubs, steel rims, bottom-grade suntour drivetrain, Dia Compe centerpulls, chromed fork ends. A groundhog had buried the front wheel and it left a good portion of rusty rim underground when I turned it over for the S/N. Chrome socks flaking off, but where the chrome was painted over it seemed fine. Weird. Too far gone to do anything with, would have been marginal in good condition.

I gave the guy $10 for his time and the Motobecane Mirage, and will donate that to a co-op. Decent shape except the chain and rust on all the chrome, it sports 27" aluminum rims.

It was fun pretending I was "American Pickers" but will not do that again for a while. Sometimes "Rusty Gold!" is just rusty rust.

Also, good call guys on the bike ID's, the green bike was a Sears / Styer-Puch, 5 - speed. Very much like the Wards I just did, but much, much rustier. There was also a green ladies' version.

Here are some pictures of the Sabre:

Last edited by rocks in head; 08-02-18 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 04:32 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Things aren't moving that well in many areas. Pick your battles wisely. Better quality bikes that you can use, and that are dirt cheap, is the way go.,
It's hard to get good money for a non Italian Roady. And the clowns that want to buy, but want to meet you than low ball. I always say it will stay pretty on my wall. And that is exactly what one bike is doing right now. I take out for quick spins to a loacal Target, but otherwise it will stay put!

(I am thinking of paying the $12 for a year membership on here and offering three bikes I have, especially for a trade.)

Last edited by StarBiker; 08-03-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 06:39 AM
T-Mar

@T-Mar T-Mar, the SN on that Sabre is F79K6623 June of '79?...
Thank-you very much for taking the time to obtain the serial number. Given the format, 1979 would be the leading choice for the year of manufacture. However, where there is a numeric year indicator in conjunction with two alpha characters, it is more common for the 2nd letter to be the month indicator, with the 1st letter being a manufacturer indicator. Consequently, it is more likely to be November 1979 and therefore a 1980 model. However, to have any degree of confidence in the interpretation, we'd need another Sabre serial number in this format.

As to the manufacturer, it's definitely not Kuwahara. The tubing decal bears a resemblance to that used by Maruishi in the 1980s (see pic) but the serial number format is markedly different. Unfortunately, I have no samples of 1970s Maruishi serial
numbers.

Old 08-03-18, 07:52 AM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

@T-Mar ,
Under the Shofer's Approved big S label... a Baltimore shop sticker, then "Made in Hong Kong" might help narrow down the manufacturer. Sorry, I forgot, didn't get a pic of it but it's in the notes I took when writing down the S/N.
Old 08-03-18, 04:05 PM
StarBiker

well, all I have to go on is selling the Wards for $100, in about a week. Bike $25, tires $20, brake pads $4, tubes $10, grips and steel handlebar out of the stash. That particular one I was escaping from my in-laws so I consider it time well spent. I'm definitely also working on nice bikes, but the problem with nice bikes is I want to keep them. That said, the market for "Tweed Ride" sorts of bikes may be close to saturated, since half the participants ride bike-share bikes anyway. Also, the market for nice vintage road bikes may be saturated as well.
So that was worth it? What. And you are in the DC area. Place is expensive as hell!
Old 08-03-18, 09:05 PM
rocks in head 
...addicted...

Originally Posted by StarBiker
So that was worth it? What. And you are in the DC area. Place is expensive as hell!
Not sure what you mean by that. Yes DC is expensive, some areas more than others. I live in one of the least expensive parts, and am not relying on bikes to make my rent. This is for fun and if it helps me feed the hobby, so much the better. Being inside the city also means that I can sell a bike to someone who is reliant on pub transit or Uber to get around, or to someone with a very specific interest, like Tweed ride. Some bikes can go for more here. I once sold a step-through Schwinn mtb to a guy who needed something to get around on Andrews AFB. I'd bought it for the wheels, but it was in really good shape minus a saddle, and lo and behold, a Schwinn branded saddle there in my bin. Made $40 on that, going to spend more than that on spokes to build the real wheels I want. HB-MN78 hubs with zac-19 rims.
Old 08-03-18, 09:10 PM
StarBiker

I sold a Nishiki MB to a guy who was in the military. He lived in Virginia, and was going to ride it to the Pentagon. I still think it was a waste of my time. I did nothing to it either. $40 profit.
But working on these bikes for that kind of money. No thanks.
Old 08-04-18, 11:39 AM
T-Mar

@T-Mar ,
Under the Shofer's Approved big S label... a Baltimore shop sticker, then "Made in Hong Kong" might help narrow down the manufacturer. Sorry, I forgot, didn't get a pic of it but it's in the notes I took when writing down the S/N.
Thank-you for the additional information. Unfortunately, I have no candidates for the Hong Kong manufacturer.
Old 08-04-18, 04:34 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by wrk101
This is an example of the old Miamijim "$100 rule". If you can't make at least $100 above what you paid for it and the consumables you added, its really not worth it. I still will pick up lower value bikes IF the price is right. I then donate them to the co-op. I picked up a Shogun touring bike recently. It probably needed at least $75 in parts and consumables. Someone had put Simplex DT retroshifters on it. WTF? I took those off, certainly not original to the bike. Cleaned them up, sold them, and then donated the rest to the co-op.
Of course I didn't add consumables. Nothing.

I have been flipping bikes for 12 years. If it doesn't look like it's worth it than it isn't!

But that is not what the OP did with this bike. He made about the same money, Doesn't make much sense to me. Up to him.
Old 08-04-18, 05:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Yeah if you have a ready supply of customers on a bike that takes nothing, why not? In my area, customers are scarce. So finding a customer for a $40 profit can be difficult.

While the local customers for almost any priced used bike have disappeared, parts continue to sell very well on fleece bay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.