Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

No love for Giant TCR Advanced SL Line?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

No love for Giant TCR Advanced SL Line?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 08:52 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
I do have other things I like to carry around on my rides, so to me a saddle bag is still nice to have. On rides where all that matters is the ride, and no other things are on the itinerary, then I'll go sans saddle bag. But even on my "long" rides it usually involves a mid-ride stop somewhere to chill, recover, eat and drink, and during that time I'd like to have some things on me like my cell phone. I don't like keeping that in my jersey pocket because it's so heavy it causes sag and also don't like the feel of a sweat-soaked phone.

The guys at the shop said "30mm easy" so I'll assume it's that. Because if it was 32 I would have hoped they'd have said 32. It comes with 25s. I usually roll with 28s. So after I wear out the 25s and replace them I can see how much additional clearance there is beyond 28.

One thing I noticed is that both the stock SLR-1 42s and the Black Inc Black Thirty they swapped for me are 17mm internal rim width, so the tires should be pretty close to their measured width. If I remember to, I'll ask them if they can use their calipers to measure what width the 25mm wheels are actually running at.
After riding wider rims (>19mm) with 28c tires, I am sold. Recently got the new ENVE 4.5AR which is even wider at 25mm internal. Pump the tires to 60psi, it's a game changer. I could never go back to narrow rims.
Old 08-16-19, 09:25 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I have 32s on my FX S6 and ran them at 65. You’re right in that they were totally comfortable. But I kind of like having a little road feedback so I pumped them back up to 80.

I run 28mm Conti 5K TL on my Supersix at 80. Tried them as low as 60 but prefer it at 80.
Old 08-16-19, 11:31 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
After riding wider rims (>19mm) with 28c tires, I am sold. Recently got the new ENVE 4.5AR which is even wider at 25mm internal. Pump the tires to 60psi, it's a game changer. I could never go back to narrow rims.
I have a wide wheel set and the rest I have are narrow. The wide set is nice but I wouldn't call it a game changer and I don't feel I am missing out when I ride the narrow ones. Same goes for di2 and mechanical groups.
Maybe I am easily pleased
Old 08-17-19, 05:02 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I have a wide wheel set and the rest I have are narrow. The wide set is nice but I wouldn't call it a game changer and I don't feel I am missing out when I ride the narrow ones. Same goes for di2 and mechanical groups.
Maybe I am easily pleased
Same for me. I think a lot of it, for me, is the roads where I live and ride are in very good shape. I have Di2 on all my bikes and really like it. On my trainer bike I have mechanical. I switch back and forth without issue.
Old 08-17-19, 01:26 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

I have mech shifting on my FX S6 (105 R7000 with MTB shifters). I too go back and forth between Di2 and mech without issue. But I definitely have a preference for the Di2 feel and performance.

To put it another way: I do not avoid riding the FX S6 due to it having mech. But any future performance bike purchase I make will likely have electronic shifting (this doesn't include any errand bike, or cruise-around-beach-scene bike which will be under a grand).
Old 08-17-19, 08:01 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Yes, no velcro strap on the Lezyne micro caddy. Big reason I like it. I can squeeze in a tube, one lever, two CO2 cartridges (just in case), a giant inflator, and a mini REI multitool. I don't have tubeless but a lot of people I know carry a tube just in case they get a large sidewall cut or something. It's also like 20 bucks.
Bummer. Ordered and received the medium...iPhone won’t fit. Time to go back to the drawing board. I think a Timbuk2 seat pack may fit it, but it’s hard to tell which versions Amazon is selling.

edit: if I take the phone case off it will just fit. Contemplating keeping it. So hard to find a good saddle bag that doesn’t contact the seatpost but is large enough to fit an iPhone and still be securely attached to the saddle. My TCR saddle will have wide rails in the back so I can’t use a quick release.

Last edited by CarloM; 08-18-19 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-18-19, 09:14 PM
CarloM

Just realized even though the bike has an ISP, there’s a pretty lengthy seat clamp below the saddle that I may be able to attach the saddle bag Velcro to. I’ll wait until I get the bike midweek and see if my existing bags fit in it, and if so then I’ll return the Lezyne.
Old 08-19-19, 08:43 AM
fstshrk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just found out my local Trek LBS has a 2020 Madone SL7 in my size. Not sure if it's built or ready to ride, but I'll swing by in hopes that it is. That is a Di2, and MSRP is $1300 less than the Propel Adv SL1. But...it doesn't use Trek's best CF, that's the SLR line, and is 18lbs and change for the 56cm frame (I'm in the 52 range) so it may be about 1.5lbs heavier than the Propel. It does not have the integrated seatmast though, which may explain, along with the lower level CF, the added weight. I'm not super-wedded to the power meter, and if Giant isn't discounting the Propel, and they ride very similar, I might opt for the Madone, save some cash, and go without the ISP. This is of course assuming I end up wanting an aero bike and not just falling hard for the TCR Adv SL1.

I'm trying to become a serious cyclist. I'm serious in that I ride every night for between 9-12 miles, and on weekends usually 15-20 miles each day (unless I'm busy or out of town). But my overall speed and strength is nowhere near where I want it to be. I average around 17mph sustained on flats. I'd like to get that up above 20mph. I also want to get stronger on climbs and inclines.
A new bike is not going to make you a serious cyclist. Mileage will. If a new bike allows you to ride longer because it is comfortable, then go for it.

Also stop paying attention to average speed. Really who cares. And the only way to get better climbing is to start climbing.
Old 08-19-19, 04:43 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
Also stop paying attention to average speed. Really who cares.
Folks who run red lights?
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 08-21-19, 08:52 PM
CarloM

I'll do a proper NBD post (or maybe new thread) later. Unfortunately my pedals from Merlin's Cycles are lost in the ether. No longer with TrakPak (as of Monday, it had cleared both customs and was "transferred to shipping partner") but 48 hours later and Fedex hasn't registered that they have it yet (tracking number still says "label has been created"). Well that was $13 in expedited shipping well spent.

Until the pedals arrive, I'm cleaning and detailing the frame right now, including putting on some 3M paint protection film on the underside of the down tube and back of the seat tube. I know it will get damaged eventually, but hey, my thought is: let's try to protect a few places where I know it's going to take a beating from road debris. If, after I'm finished with my film application, the pedals still haven't arrived, I'll probably just transfer the pedals from my SuperSix (the older PD-M8000 vs. the PD-M9100 I ordered for this bike).

I want to give major props to Willie who did a very in-depth fitting of me, took his time, made many measurements, adjustments, observation, rinse, repeat, took about 90 minutes total. It was a great experience, and he was free with his advice, not just for bike fit, but for how to improve my core, analyzing my pedal stroke tendencies, etc. By the time he was finished, the trainer bike I was on felt way better than my SuperSix (I'll probably have them adjust that bike later on now that they have my measurements in the system). I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little miffed my original LBS from which I bought the FX S6 and the SuperSix, who didn't spend nearly the same amount of time on me. This service truly was a value-add, which in my mind now only increases the bargain I got for the price I paid for the bike. They're even ordering a shorter stem for me, by 10mm, and will call me when it arrives for a quick swap.

Here's a few pics from my taking ownership today.

Pre-cutting of the saddle:

Post-cutting of the saddle, and before Willie made all the other adjustments:

The weight weenie in me couldn't resist asking them to do this. Here it is in the Imperial System (15lbs, 8oz).
This is the complete bike with tubeless sealant installed and at riding PSI, but without pedals, bottle cages or lights.

And for my Metric System friends (7.03 kg)

For those who are curious what it's true riding weight will be, Shimano claims the PD-M9100 pedals weight 314g (or 11oz aka 0.69 lbs), so 7.34kg or 16lbs, 3oz.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 08-22-19, 10:14 AM
logical
______

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll do a proper NBD post (or maybe new thread) later. Unfortunately my pedals from Merlin's Cycles are lost in the ether. No longer with TrakPak (as of Monday, it had cleared both customs and was "transferred to shipping partner") but 48 hours later and Fedex hasn't registered that they have it yet (tracking number still says "label has been created"). Well that was $13 in expedited shipping well spent.

Until the pedals arrive, I'm cleaning and detailing the frame right now, including putting on some 3M paint protection film on the underside of the down tube and back of the seat tube. I know it will get damaged eventually, but hey, my thought is: let's try to protect a few places where I know it's going to take a beating from road debris. If, after I'm finished with my film application, the pedals still haven't arrived, I'll probably just transfer the pedals from my SuperSix (the older PD-M8000 vs. the PD-M9100 I ordered for this bike).

I want to give major props to Willie who did a very in-depth fitting of me, took his time, made many measurements, adjustments, observation, rinse, repeat, took about 90 minutes total. It was a great experience, and he was free with his advice, not just for bike fit, but for how to improve my core, analyzing my pedal stroke tendencies, etc. By the time he was finished, the trainer bike I was on felt way better than my SuperSix (I'll probably have them adjust that bike later on now that they have my measurements in the system). I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little miffed my original LBS from which I bought the FX S6 and the SuperSix, who didn't spend nearly the same amount of time on me. This service truly was a value-add, which in my mind now only increases the bargain I got for the price I paid for the bike. They're even ordering a shorter stem for me, by 10mm, and will call me when it arrives for a quick swap.

Here's a few pics from my taking ownership today.

Pre-cutting of the saddle:

Post-cutting of the saddle, and before Willie made all the other adjustments:

The weight weenie in me couldn't resist asking them to do this. Here it is in the Imperial System (15lbs, 8oz).
This is the complete bike with tubeless sealant installed and at riding PSI, but without pedals, bottle cages or lights.

And for my Metric System friends (7.03 kg)

For those who are curious what it's true riding weight will be, Shimano claims the PD-M9100 pedals weight 314g (or 11oz aka 0.69 lbs), so 7.34kg or 16lbs, 3oz.
Nice bike, I did the same thing when I picked up my bike. I had them weigh it and got my fitting Bike came in at 7.55kg with cages, garmin, garmin mount, and 105 pedals. Its hard not to be super excited for a new bike.

I felt the same way about the level of service I got from Helens(most likely where you got your trek) when I bought my Emonda. Those guys are literally there to moves bikes out the door and you dont really get any real service unless you are part of their click. When I bought my Propel from Giant Santa Monica I instantly knew the place was better than any other bike shop around the area. I bought bikes from Cynergy and Helens and they are both equally bad. When I decide I need a new bike I'll probably be back there to get another bike. Try to go on some group rides with them cause they are pretty cool although its hard not to get dropped by Larry and Elon on tigertail... or maybe Im just too out of shape to keep up

Anywho, enjoy the bike man it looks like its going to be a blast.
Likes For logical:
Old 08-22-19, 02:31 PM
CarloM

Originally Posted by logical
Nice bike, I did the same thing when I picked up my bike. I had them weigh it and got my fitting Bike came in at 7.55kg with cages, garmin, garmin mount, and 105 pedals. Its hard not to be super excited for a new bike.

I felt the same way about the level of service I got from Helens(most likely where you got your trek) when I bought my Emonda. Those guys are literally there to moves bikes out the door and you dont really get any real service unless you are part of their click. When I bought my Propel from Giant Santa Monica I instantly knew the place was better than any other bike shop around the area. I bought bikes from Cynergy and Helens and they are both equally bad. When I decide I need a new bike I'll probably be back there to get another bike. Try to go on some group rides with them cause they are pretty cool although its hard not to get dropped by Larry and Elon on tigertail... or maybe Im just too out of shape to keep up

Anywho, enjoy the bike man it looks like its going to be a blast.
Thanks! Looks like Fedex still hasn't updated my shipping so I went ahead this morning and moved my PD-M8000s over to the TCR. When I get home tonight I'll ride it for the first time! I did do a wipe down of the chain and put a fresh coat of Rock N Roll Gold Lube on it last night (and wiped it down again). Di2 is fully charged and all firmware updated. Double checked indexing of gears while on the Park Tool stand. Protection film on down tube and seat tube is in place. The rear brake had the tiniest bit of rotor rub, checked rotor was true so did a quick alignment fix (loosened the nuts, clamped down on brake, re-tightened the nuts) and it's perfect. Just need to re-confirm PSI and I can hit the road once I get home.

I do want to say Helen's has treated me well (I live near two of them). They're always friendly and willing to help when I've had a problem/issue/question with my bikes. Prior to my experience with Giant Santa Monica, I didn't really have complaints about Helen's. I was just extremely impressed by how much additional attention and care Giant SM gave me, both with regards to the bike and fit, but also my personal fitness and goals, riding style, etc. GSM truly went above and beyond my expectations.
Old 08-23-19, 09:10 AM
CarloM

First ride last night, 18 miles on my normal local route, and it was exhilarating! My main contrast/compare with how I felt after the SuperSix purchase and the TCR purchase is this: since the SuperSix was my first road bike purchase (coming from a fitness bike), I knew I had scored a fast bike at a great deal. It was of course much faster than the FX, but having test ridden quite a few road bikes before settling on the SuperSix, I knew there were others just as good, or better, but at the sale price of the SuperSix I couldn't pass it up. Even as my appreciation for the SuperSix grew, I would stop by bike shops and test ride other higher-end road bikes that cost a grand or two more than what I paid. The SuperSix held its own against most of them, but there were some (mostly in the $5-6K range) where I knew I'd eventually be tempted to upgrade.

After last night's ride, I will say I was blown away by the ride quality difference between the TCR and the SuperSix. The test rides I had on the LBS's tester TCR gave me hints that it was a better fit for me, but until I got the proper fitting done that I realized how night-and-day the differences are. I was expecting a better transfer of power/effort to speed, and I was not disappointed. It is significantly faster and more efficient, and I don't know if that's all attributable to the frame, geometry, stiffness, better fit, Black Inc wheels and the CeramicSpeed bearings, overall lighter weight, or more aero tube shapes compared to my 2018 SuperSix. Probably a combination of all of them. Also I was worried that the Mavic Yksion Pro USTs don't get great reviews online, but I found them to be very competent and fast rolling tires. I have Conti 5K and 5K TL on my other bikes and I didn't find anything lacking with the Mavics.

So while the speed was expected, what I didn't expect was how much better it handled. It was grippier, turned tighter and more confident, and I just felt "lower to the ground" kind of like that feeling in an exotic sports car vs. a fast luxury 4-door. The SuperSix, when I get going on it, handling gets dicey for me. The same route, not only did I go faster on the TCR, but on the descents I went faster and felt more in control. I had a brief period of adjustment at first because it was so responsive, little hand/muscle movements that the SuperSix disregarded, they actually registered on the TCR.

The other thing I didn't expect was the comfort. No, this isn't an endurance bike, but I was pleasantly surprised in the comfort and the way it handled road imperfections. I have not ridden the 2020 Domane, but I have ridden the 2019 Domane SLR 6 Disc. And the 2019 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Di2. I would say the compliance of the TCR is more comparable to those bikes than the 2018 SuperSix, while being significantly faster. I had preconceived notions that the ISP would result in a stiffer ride (after all, adding a Carbon SAVE seatpost made a big difference on my SuperSix's comfort so I assumed that compliance needed to be engineered in a separate component like that). I was mistaken.

With the TCR, I have a feeling my "upgraditis" may be soothed for quite a while. Don't get me wrong, this isn't my last bike purchase. But it will be my last "racing" bike purchase for quite a while (assuming its durability). The next bike I get will be a different frame type, whether it's aero or gravel. A complimentary bike for different rides.

Is there a more compliant, faster racing bike than this? I'm sure there is. But likely at significantly higher costs, which I'm unwilling to pay. For all of the bikes I've ridden in the up-to-$5K range, the TCR has been by far my best experience.

Oh and yes, at some point in the near future, in order to give the SuperSix a fair shot, I'm going to have Giant Santa Monica do a set up with my measurements which they kept on file, so that I can A/B that bike more fairly with the TCR.

Oh and before I sign off, I just remembered one thing that convinced me yesterday that the TCR's power efficiency was greater than the SuperSix. After riding my normal route hard for the first 90% (which I do regardless of the bike I'm on), I cruise the last 10% on the way home, which is slightly uphill the whole way. My normal MO is to go to the smaller front chainring and the 4th smallest rear cog (remember Di2 won't let you use the 2 smallest). And on my other bikes I have compact 50/34.

I got home last night, doing the exact same relaxed final 10%, and it wasn't until I dismounted when I looked down and realized I was still on the large front chainring and on the 5th cog on the back. And this is a 52/36. It felt like the cooldown same effort after a hard 16 miles (actually a harder 16 than normal because I opted to take a couple of different streets that had more inclines so I could push the TCR and it didn't disappoint) and I was on a considerably harder gear. And yes both bikes have the same 11/28 rear cassette.
Old 09-06-19, 02:11 PM
jdcowboy
Just born yesterday

Bikes: Giant TCR SL, Trek SuperFly 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
Giant has come a long way imo the defy is their most popular model though. You really can’t go wrong with giant but 5k on a bike is a bit much do you really need Di2? Personally don’t see a big advantage with di2
You're a troll or you're joking, right???
Old 09-06-19, 02:44 PM
CarloM

I feel like I should ask the mods to retitle this to “Much love for the Giant TCR.” First month of ownership and I appreciate the bike more every day. Unlike the SuperSix, where I felt I got a great deal but after riding it a month started wondering how much better a racing bike could get, the TCR just begs me to get on it and ride faster than the day before! This will definitely be my racing frame for years to come.

I’m only interested in adding an aero frame (for those who have seen my Madone BB90 thread) for different aesthetics while riding. The super thin, light race bike for some days. The sleek wide look of the aero frame for other days. Plus I plan on getting a very different paint job for whatever aero frame I end up getting (currently looking at a Factor One in red).

I am definitely a Giant TCR fan!