Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me choose a bike please.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 08:28 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an overweight 34 year old man who wants/needs to get back into cycling. I have had lumbar back surgery so serious mtn biking is out for a few years. I am fairly experienced in riding. Raced BMX untill I was 13 as a sponsored racer for SE Racing and a local shop. Rode mountain bikes after that for years. Gary Fisher Tassahara. Rode locally as well as in Reno and Tahoe area.

I have been out of riding for at least 8 years and want to get back into it. I think the Hybrid bikes are likely the best choice at this point. Comfortable, yet I can get a good distance under my belt. I have looked at the Gary Fisher dual sport bikes but the cost seems a bit steep since I'm just now getting back into it.

I have found two bikes that feel good and seem comparable. Although, I do want a sturdy and dependable ride. Narrowed it down to either the Gary Fisher Tiburon or the Schwinn Suburban.

Not sure the complete specs on the schwinn but I know it has SRAM 4.0 rear derailers and a steel frame. The Tiburon has Acera on the rear and is all aluminum.

The Schwinn is at Academy sporting goods for around 190 whereas the Tiburon is from a local dealer for just over $300. The question is whether it is worth the difference in cost. Is the Gary Fisher that much better?

Or, should I start looking at more mountain type bikes and switch to road wheels? Decisions, decisions... Thanks for listening/reading.
Old 07-25-07, 09:24 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the Gary Fisher is that much better. It is not the same company as Schwinn in the 70s and 80s, but not to say that the Schwinns are starting to come with better components. But I still see a qaulity difference.
Old 07-25-07, 10:49 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edp773
Yes, the Gary Fisher is that much better. It is not the same company as Schwinn in the 70s and 80s, but not to say that the Schwinns are starting to come with better components. But I still see a qaulity difference.
yup
Old 07-26-07, 05:25 AM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gary Fisher it is then. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-26-07, 10:18 AM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyMonkey
The Gary Fisher it is then. Thanks for the replies.
Let us know how it is. Enjoy!
Old 07-26-07, 01:40 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, and we'll want photos when it gets it's first use in the mud, all right?

East Hill
Old 07-26-07, 08:29 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOOOHOOOO! I picked up my Gary Fisher Tiburon earlier today. Took it for a spin around the hood. Ok, down the street and back. I am sooo out of shape. Niiiiice ride though. Went with the 20 inch frame. Had a bit more room in the cockpit than the 17.5. Liked the stand over height of the 17.5 though. I figure it was best to go with the roomier of the two. I'm 6'0'' and 280 pounds. In shape at around 210 so I am a bigger guy I suppose. Let me know if I'm wrong there about the frame size.

Picked up my sone a Raleigh bike as well. Little 16 inch kids bike. He loves it.

I will try and make a trip around our local track. Lake Hefner has a 10 mile I think. Wish me luck.
Old 07-27-07, 08:41 AM
waporvare

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Tiburon 20" and I'm 6' and 170lbs. Love the bike, but I've had more than a few issues with the derailers. I've only had the bike since March and have had to have them adjusted three times. Also, the seat has failed on me three different times. It's held in by a torx head screw to the post. The only torx head screw on the bike. Each time it failed on me the front of the seat flipped up on me. Aside from that it's a good solid bike.
Old 07-27-07, 10:25 AM
supton
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my Fisher, I recall the seatpost bolt being an issue. Mine is a vertical allen, not sure if it's the same--but it'd loose up, and I think I sheared one, and lost the other. I wound up super glueing it in place (not the right way, but it worked). I recall riding around carrying the proper sized hex for it, so I could tighten it at moments notice (until I figured out that the superglue worked).
Old 07-27-07, 12:03 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waporvare
I've got a Tiburon 20" and I'm 6' and 170lbs. Love the bike, but I've had more than a few issues with the derailers. I've only had the bike since March and have had to have them adjusted three times. Also, the seat has failed on me three different times. It's held in by a torx head screw to the post. The only torx head screw on the bike. Each time it failed on me the front of the seat flipped up on me. Aside from that it's a good solid bike.
Thanks for the info here. I suppose this is why the "Lifetime Adjustments" offered by the local bike shops can be real handy. I will watch for the seat becoming loose and will watch the derailers as well. Although, I must say that having all those things go wrong in the passing of 4 months does not sound pleasant.
Old 07-27-07, 01:15 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the info here. I suppose this is why the "Lifetime Adjustments" offered by the local bike shops can be real handy. I will watch for the seat becoming loose and will watch the derailers as well. Although, I must say that having all those things go wrong in the passing of 4 months does not sound pleasant.
Cables stretch- and with 280lbs- things are going to move a bit. Keep your eye on the bike and the easiest way to do this is to check the bike after each ride. If on the ride- the deraillers were beginning to cause a problem- adjust them when you check the rest of the bike.

Only one warning- Your wheels- in fact most wheels- are going to struggle with your weight. Stock wheels are machine built and are not the best around. After about 100 miles- get the shop to retrue and tension the spokes. Won't cost a fortune but it will keep the wheels in better condition- for longer.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-28-07, 01:14 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True about the weight. Oddly, when I went to buy my last mtn bike, (Tassajara) I weighed in at a slim and trim 235. Not fat, just big. Graduated high school at 248 pounds running a 4.9, 40 yd dash, bench press of 355 squat of over 500. Things do change I suppose.

The Tassajara was recommended at that time because of my weight. I would imagine that is great advice about the wheel trueing. I will do that. Can't wait to get to 100 miles.

Rode my first 7 yesterday. Whew! Was harder than I had hoped. Sore in many places. Will go again tomorrow. Will shoot for 8 miles.
Old 07-28-07, 01:34 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you were athletic in high school and have some experience riding, your fitness will come back quicker than you think.

If you want to drop the weight faster, I suggest getting back into the weight room too. Works wonders for me.
Old 07-28-07, 02:12 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had two lumbar surgical procedures at L4-5 and have chronic stenosious and a narrow spinal area. Still can't work....but I also got back into bicycling to help get back into shape and incur pain so I don't think of it.
I now ride a road bike everyday for approx. 20 miles at average of 19-20 mph. Not great, but Keeps me physically stable.

Good idea to back into cycling, good luck, stay with it, get better.
Old 07-28-07, 08:20 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ThinLine, sounds fairly similar to mine. Degenerative disc disease, stenosis, disc rupture at L4, herniation at L3 and L5. Two procedures? Ugh... Sorry to hear that. Glad you are staying active though. 20 miles? Dadgum. Good job.

Viking1001. I sure hope so. I actually started back in the gym a few weeks ago. Not lifting heavy like I used to though.

I rode a bit again today. In my hood. Did a bit of exploring. Was nice. Still have pains in the keester though.
Old 07-28-07, 08:45 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Viking1001. I sure hope so. I actually started back in the gym a few weeks ago. Not lifting heavy like I used to though.
Yeah, you don't need to be able to squat 500 lbs! You just need to replace some of that fat with muscle so that your metabolism kicks in. If you gain weight for a few weeks, don't get worried. That muscle will help you in the long run.
Old 07-28-07, 08:48 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still have pains in the keester though.
Your butt will break in over the next few weeks. Cycling shorts are your friend.

Also, as your mileage increases, you should probably replace that stock saddle with something more friendly.
Old 07-28-07, 09:05 PM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahh... Cycling shorts. I am starting to see the need for these things. I had hoped the extra padding I carry would help. I was mistaken.

I have a question for someone in the know. The dealer mentioned that the rims on this bike, Tiburon, were strong. I was out and found the need to go over and off a few curbs. Is it ok to ride over or off these on this bike? Was a bit worried.
Old 07-28-07, 09:26 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh... Cycling shorts. I am starting to see the need for these things. I had hoped the extra padding I carry would help. I was mistaken.

I have a question for someone in the know. The dealer mentioned that the rims on this bike, Tiburon, were strong. I was out and found the need to go over and off a few curbs. Is it ok to ride over or off these on this bike? Was a bit worried.

As long as your tires are inflated to the max, should be fine going off curbs. Watch out riding into curbs. To this day I still pick up my rear wheel when I'm riding up a curb.
Old 07-29-07, 08:13 AM
MyMonkey
Personna Non Grata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I did pick up both front and rear wheels. Gotta love this forum.