Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Quick release levers on steel frames

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 01:01 PM
kasperbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had a first ride on my steel frame today, and at one point when I had to set off from a stand still and put pressure on the right pedal, the chain tension managed to pull the right side of the rear wheel half way out of the campy dropouts, so the wheel wasn't centered in the frame. I put it back and tensioned the quick release lever as I used to, but it happened again. So I tightened it a lot, and that helped.

Do steel frames need metal quick release levers? Mine has a plastic nut and I'm thinking that might be why it's slipping pretty easy on the steel surface.
Old 06-29-14, 01:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
There are decades of history of quick-releases on steel frames. It's well-known that there is a correct way to tighten them. Here is one good set of instructions:

How To Use Bicycle Quick Releases
Old 06-29-14, 01:16 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Multi-speed or fixed gear?

+1 to the "leave a mark on your hand" guide. If it does not leave a mark, its too loose.

Last edited by wrk101; 06-29-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 01:17 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
There are two different types of QR, internal cam and external cam. A vintage Campy QR is the internal type, you can't see the cam itself. A lot of aftermarket QRs are external cam along with the newest Campy ones, you can see the cam. External cams don't seem to have the same clamping force as internal cams and shouldn't be used on horizontal dropouts. Go with a vintage internal cam.
Old 06-29-14, 01:22 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Also, use the middle of the palm of your hand to close the lever. Immediately after closing, look at your palm. If you can't see an imprint of the lever, you need to open it, tighten the nut a little more and try again. Keep trying until you see the imprint.
Old 06-29-14, 03:07 PM
Old Yeller

Bikes: 1987 Trek 1500, 1989 Pinarello Montello, 1998 Trek 7000 MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The "plastic nut" just a plastic cover over a metal nut. The key to a quick release skewers success on a steel frame is it must be made of steel. Both the nut and cam need to be made of steel, not aluminum to get enough bite into the dropouts. After that, clamping force is next of importance.
Old 06-29-14, 04:00 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
If the dropouts (DOs) aren't parallel because the frame was bent or because someone widened the rear to accommodate a wider hub or simply because it wasn't well-made, then a QR skewer can have trouble holding. Take it by a decent shop and have them check it. Or just tighten a bolt onto each side and make sure it points at the other.
Old 06-29-14, 04:47 PM
Ol Danl

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Record, 1987 Schwinn Prelude, 1971 Raleigh Record, 1988 Schwinn Traveler, 1967 (?) Carlton Super Course, 1959 Huffy Sportsman 3 speed, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, yet another 70-something Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Are you sure your axle is not protruding slightly through the dropout? I tightened one several times one day, then finally realized that was the problem on my right rear. It's gotta be inside the dropout a little.
Old 06-29-14, 05:38 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Ol Danl
Are you sure your axle is not protruding slightly through the dropout?
Good point. Just a bit of clarification...

The axle doesn't really have to protrude past the edge of the DO, just go far enough into the DO so as not to slip up or down. If it protrudes past the outer edge of the DO at all it might stick out so far that the skewer clamps onto the axle instead of the DO. This means the bearing cones aren't positioned correctly so that the axle is too far to one side. When one side doesn't go in far enough the other side might stick out too far.

One cause of this could be that someone removed both cones from the axle when cleaning the bearings, and didn't quite get them in the same place when putting them back on. If you ever loosen both cones, measure the distance from the locknut outer edge to the axle end so you can get them back on in the same place.

Another likely cause is switching a wheel between bikes which require a RD claw vs. having an integrated hanger on the DO. Curiously, this is rarely discussed here in C&V.

Forged DOs with an integrated hanger are thicker than stamped DOs without a hanger. Stamped DOs have to be thinner because the axle has to go through the claw which isn't used on forged DOs. But that extra thickness is all on the right side. So the axle has to be positioned further to the right (or the bearing cones must be positioned further to the left on the axle) for a claw used with stamped DOs. Unless the axle is quite short a wheel will work on one or the other but not both unless you reposition the bearing cones as required.
Old 06-29-14, 05:40 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Are you sure your axle is not protruding slightly through the dropout? I tightened one several times one day, then finally realized that was the problem on my right rear. It's gotta be inside the dropout a little.
Yes, set the wheel in the frame and remove the quick release. Look for the axle passing beyond the dropout face(s). A number of times I have seen this, most often with Campagnolo gran sport dropouts, (they are thinner) or the Vertical ones which are also thinner. If this is the case the quick release will be not providing the proper force.
Old 06-30-14, 11:47 AM
kasperbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Yes, set the wheel in the frame and remove the quick release. Look for the axle passing beyond the dropout face(s). A number of times I have seen this, most often with Campagnolo gran sport dropouts, (they are thinner) or the Vertical ones which are also thinner. If this is the case the quick release will be not providing the proper force.
Thanks for all the replies. I do think I probably was a bit sloppy with the tension, coming from a fixed dropout position of the rear wheel. The tip with the axle protruding was a good one. I just checked and it is not protruding. The edge is about 1 mm inside on both sides.

I will also keep a look out for a genuine steel skewer. It also looks better on an older frame ;-)
Old 06-30-14, 02:14 PM
kasperbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went on a short ride today, but the problem is very persistent. Especially when starting in the small ring. I also suspect that the chainline in that gear is pulling at an angle, and the momentum very easily pulls the right side out of the dropout. I'm running a Hollowtech II Shimano bottom bracket with a 9-speed compact Tiagra Chainset and a 10-speed cassette in the back. So when in the small ring and the bottom part of the cassette, the chainline is pretty angled. I definately need to try a pair steel skewers.
Old 06-30-14, 03:31 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Ideally, the axle shouldn't protrude past the dropout; Shimano QRs, however, have 3mm recesses on both sides to ensure clamping even if the axle protrudes a little.
Old 06-30-14, 03:46 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by kasperbs
I definately need to try a pair steel skewers.
I'd be shocked, shocked I tell you, if the skewers you have aren't steel. Anything else just wouldn't be strong enough to work. Well, they could be titanium, or some elaborate high-tech alloy of manganese and unobtanium, or a neutrino/positron composite.
Old 06-30-14, 03:54 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
I had this problem once too. The fix for me was to clean the inside face of the dropouts and the outside of the axle REALLY well and then to use as much closing force on the skewer as I could muster. Never slipped again after that.
Old 06-30-14, 03:59 PM
kasperbs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I'd be shocked, shocked I tell you, if the skewers you have aren't steel. Anything else just wouldn't be strong enough to work. Well, they could be titanium, or some elaborate high-tech alloy of manganese and unobtanium, or a neutrino/positron composite.
My wheels are Campagnolo Zondas and the skewers are stated as "cold-forged aluminium". I think I have found a spare skewer which is pretty heavy and feels like steel. I will try that tomorrow.
Old 06-30-14, 04:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by busdriver1959
There are two different types of QR, internal cam and external cam. A vintage Campy QR is the internal type, you can't see the cam itself. A lot of aftermarket QRs are external cam along with the newest Campy ones, you can see the cam. External cams don't seem to have the same clamping force as internal cams and shouldn't be used on horizontal dropouts. Go with a vintage internal cam.
Originally Posted by kasperbs
My wheels are Campagnolo Zondas and the skewers are stated as "cold-forged aluminium". I think I have found a spare skewer which is pretty heavy and feels like steel. I will try that tomorrow.
Yes, the Zonda quick releases are the modern, exposed-cam type intended for use with vertical dropouts. Replace them with e.g. aftermarket Shimano enclosed-cam quick releases and you should be good.
Old 06-30-14, 07:22 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
This has happened to me more than once. I was a bit sloppy when I first learned how to service hubs. Although, I do have some QRs that can tolerate a little bit of axle sticking out past the dropout, as they are cupped a bit to accommodate that.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-30-14, 07:35 PM
Lanovran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I had the same issue once on an older steel frame bike. When I looked closely at the nut on the quick-release, I noticed that the "teeth" on the surface of it were worn down and not gripping well. I replaced the skewers with a new pair with a stronger "bite," and the problem was solved.
Old 07-01-14, 04:55 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I will be the guy to warn of over tightening a skewer. I snapped my rear one on a ride once. Luckily, it was right after a small crash and I was checking things out on the bike. If I had been moving, things wouldn't have been pretty. The skewer needs to have been designed for the forces you are applying to it.
Old 07-01-14, 07:47 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Ideally, the axle shouldn't protrude past the dropout; Shimano QRs, however, have 3mm recesses on both sides to ensure clamping even if the axle protrudes a little.
This sounds more like it! Between the axle end and the QR is a conical spring - it needs a few millimeters gap to keep from being crushed.
Old 07-01-14, 10:09 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Originally Posted by Road Fan
This sounds more like it! Between the axle end and the QR is a conical spring - it needs a few millimeters gap to keep from being crushed.
As you say, the springs are conical, so they compress very thin.
Old 07-02-14, 07:48 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, the Zonda quick releases are the modern, exposed-cam type intended for use with vertical dropouts. Replace them with e.g. aftermarket Shimano enclosed-cam quick releases and you should be good.
I am intrigued by the styling of the exposed cam quick releases, but for functionality I like the tried and true C&V era Campagnolo units.
Old 07-02-14, 04:47 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Originally Posted by Reynolds
As you say, the springs are conical, so they compress very thin.
I checked it out today on a Shimano QR, the springs measure 1mm fully compressed, so if the axle protrudes 1mm the QR would still clamp.