Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chrome shop in SF Bay area?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 06:29 PM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I've looked at a regional cycling forum somewhere, but for the life of me I couldn't find it, so I'm posting here.

I'm looking to get some parts chromed. Does anyone know a Chrome shop in the San Francisco Bay area that will chrome bicycle parts?

If so, what did you have chromed and how much did it cost?

I'm looking at getting, maybe, a chainring, rims and some small odds and ends done.
Old 12-21-10, 09:37 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I used Johnson Plating in Oakland for crank arms and ring and a set of toe clips; it was 90. dollars, but that was years ago, and when I picked them up the boss was pissed someone quoted me that price!
Old 12-21-10, 09:52 AM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you might find better luck with nickel plating.
Old 12-21-10, 10:17 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
The place that I used to use is long gone. The EPA has made things extremely difficult for chrome shops.
Old 12-21-10, 11:03 AM
dck

Bikes: '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used Superior Plating in San Jose to do a crankset. They did good work but be prepared to pay a lot. I could have done better buying NOS parts on ebay.

In general, I wouldn't recommend rechroming unless you've got a real treasure that needs to be restored.

I agree with Grand Bois that chrome shops in California are now almost extinct due to environmental restrictions.
Old 12-21-10, 11:46 AM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm... What is the difference, from a practical perspective, between chrome and nickle plating? I talked to one guy who said that sometimes you can get them to throw your parts in with a larger batch of parts from a bigger order.
Old 12-21-10, 11:50 AM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
from a practical perspective, there is little difference. they look basically the same, perhaps not as bright as chrome.

nitto racks are nickel plated, just so you know.

and you can purchase your own nickel plating kits, btw.
Old 12-21-10, 05:17 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Whoa, nickel plating is part of chrome plating: when they say "triple chrome" they mean copper, nickel, then chrome. Chrome is harder and cooler in color: nickel is softer and warmer in color. If you want nickel, they just don't add the chrome.

I'm not sure how they could just "throw your parts in". Each piece needs to be cleaned, polished, filled, wired and suspended in each bath, then cleaned and inspected before the next. That hand work is what they charge for.

Last edited by dbakl; 12-21-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 05:40 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

Do not chrome your rims if you're going to be using them as a braking surface. Hub/disk brakes only!

Just a friendly PSA.

(eta: I've heard of getting cheaper rates to "throw one's parts in" when it comes to powdercoating, but never chroming—granted I don't often hear of people chroming bikes. This makes sense, as chroming is much more difficult and exacting work. I believe with powdercoating, the "throw it in" discount comes from not having to mix a color in such a small batch—you basically pay for the labor and get whatever color they happen to be putting on a large order of theirs.)

Last edited by jtgotsjets; 12-21-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-21-10, 08:06 PM
Buikema

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.

Do not chrome your rims if you're going to be using them as a braking surface. Hub/disk brakes only!

Just a friendly PSA.
Indeed, they do make for questionable braking. However this bike is the sort that comes out on a warm Sunday in the summers, and originally had chromed rims, so I don't think it'll be problem. I may just buy new ones, but I have a set of new ones that are of very poor quality. The old ones are nice and round and good, but the chrome has had its day. So, instead of killing myself looking for new westwood rims I thought I'd look into the chroming thing.
Old 12-21-10, 09:06 PM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how about just polished rims?
Old 12-22-10, 09:46 AM
Buikema

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeTravel_0
how about just polished rims?
Polished would be pretty cool actually. However, I live in Coastal California, with salt air and fog and I don't have any proper indoor storage place. So, for now the bike resides in a quasi inside shed/workshop sort of thing, but not exactly climate controlled. I think I'd have a rust issue.
Old 12-22-10, 09:58 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter which company does the plating, they must bake-out the hydrogen (embrittlement) after the plating.

Regards,
J T