Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The story needs to be told...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 06:54 AM
Showajitensha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long long ago, back when "Made in Japan" was associated with inferior products, back before Toyota, Panasonic, Honda and Nikon became synonomous with the word "quality", the Japanese were producing superb utility bicycles and roadsters.

showajitensha@hotmail.co.jp

https://chikutakurinrin.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/
Old 12-22-10, 07:01 AM
Eileen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez. Now I am going to scour eBay for those.
Old 12-22-10, 08:10 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Look at some of the early Japanese derailleurs featured on "Disraeli Gears" sometime. Really cool stuff. Like, this Shanko-sha from 1951:
Old 12-22-10, 11:54 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Nice job! Unfortunately, I rarely come across vintage Japanese utility bikes in the USA, at least not here on the East Coast.

On the other hand, I recently picked up a vintage Miyata sprung leather saddle for use on a Raleigh Superbe -- it's in no way inferior to a Brooks B73, and possibly more comfortable. Definitely a quality product.
Old 12-22-10, 12:02 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Showajitensha
Long long ago, back when "Made in Japan" was associated with inferior products, back before Toyota, Panasonic, Honda and Nikon became synonomous with the word "quality", the Japanese were producing superb utility bicycles and roadsters.
They were also already producing fine "copies" of the classic constructeur bikes from Singer, Herse, et. al.
Old 12-22-10, 12:16 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like those bikes, oh yes I do. I want a "fender ornament." SWEEEEET.
Old 12-22-10, 03:35 PM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting those. Great stuff, beautiful bikes. I checked out the blog too, really good. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-22-10, 03:53 PM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers! Masterpiece indeed, both the derailler and the Disraeli site!

Originally Posted by rhm
Look at some of the early Japanese derailleurs featured on "Disraeli Gears" sometime. Really cool stuff. Like, this Shanko-sha from 1951:
Old 12-22-10, 03:54 PM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pleasure Buikema, appreciate the positive feedback.
Old 12-22-10, 03:58 PM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
They were also already producing fine "copies" of the classic constructeur bikes from Singer, Herse, et. al.
Indeed. As was true with most products, and international sports, the Japanese start off by "copying" and then refine and improve.
Old 12-22-10, 04:04 PM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata, Japan's oldest bicycle manufacturer. Happy to hear that your sprung leather saddle is a quality product. I have a soft spot for old Raleighs espescialy the Superbe and would be restoring them if only I were in the UK. But here in Japan I take what I can find and have been pleasantly surprised at what I have found. Cheers.
Old 12-22-10, 04:08 PM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snarkypup
I like those bikes, oh yes I do. I want a "fender ornament." SWEEEEET.
You can view more fender ornaments at: https://chikutakurinrin.cocolog-nifty...cot/index.html Happy hunting!
Old 12-22-10, 05:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
the same could be said of Automobiles. chrome fenders, ornate hood ornamenbts, chrome bumpers, tail fins with fancy turnsignals in them, chrome side striping. all have gone by the wayside in order to cut cost and we have been made to believe that auto is better because of it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-22-10, 06:07 PM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miyata, Japan's oldest bicycle manufacturer. Happy to hear that your sprung leather saddle is a quality product. I have a soft spot for old Raleighs espescialy the Superbe and would be restoring them if only I were in the UK. But here in Japan I take what I can find and have been pleasantly surprised at what I have found. Cheers.
Oh yes. Miyata's have quite a following here. I have a Univega with a Miyata-built lugged Cro-Moly frame that I love.
Old 12-22-10, 06:38 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Indeed. As was true with most products, and international sports, the Japanese start off by "copying" and then refine and improve.
One version of the story is that Herse attended a bike show in Japan circa 1960, and made a huge splash. Herse tapped into Japan's love of French culture, and given the cost also represented the "unobtainable" in the post-war Japanese economy. Thus the indigenous Japanese constructeur bike market, and its supremely gifted domestic artisans, was born. As you mention, the original models were refined - and occasional new models were created, such as the "pass hunter" and "rinko" types. These bikes, though they often equaled and occasionally surpassed their models, remained within range of many Japanese buyers financially. I believe they are still much more affordable in Japan than when imported into the U.S. I put "copies" in quotes in my post precisely because the Japanese builders brought their own insights, sensibilities, and aesthetic to their task, just as U.S. builders did when they adopted the aesthetic of Italian models in the 70's - they built to the ideal as they understood it as much as to the actual models.
Old 12-22-10, 10:35 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I may have to go back to Japan (did a nine day visit about 7 years ago and LOVED it) for reasons beyond the Shinkansen. I may need to bring home a bike. Heck, I could do that in Europe too. I could become a bicycle-buying tourist! Bicycles are the new souvenirs! You know how some people collect thimbles or spoons from everywhere they go? I could buy bikes! Lots of bikes!

<drifts off, dreaming of foreign bikes...>
Old 12-22-10, 10:47 PM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recommend ordering the back-issue of Bicycle Quarterly's Autumn 2008 "Japan Special" edition

https://www.bikequarterly.com/BQ71.html
Old 12-23-10, 01:20 AM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
the same could be said of Automobiles. chrome fenders, ornate hood ornamenbts, chrome bumpers, tail fins with fancy turnsignals in them, chrome side striping. all have gone by the wayside in order to cut cost and we have been made to believe that auto is better because of it.
Yes, I agree. It is true of many things. Old things seem to have been well built to the point that they were "over-engineered". While I have to agree that hood ornaments, fins, chrome, etc., don't add to the basic performance, they syre do go along way to adding a touch of class to the finished product.
Old 12-23-10, 01:26 AM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Picchio Special
One version of the story is that Herse attended a bike show in Japan circa 1960, and made a huge splash. Herse tapped into Japan's love of French culture, and given the cost also represented the "unobtainable" in the post-war Japanese economy. Thus the indigenous Japanese constructeur bike market, and its supremely gifted domestic artisans, was born. As you mention, the original models were refined - and occasional new models were created, such as the "pass hunter" and "rinko" types. These bikes, though they often equaled and occasionally surpassed their models, remained within range of many Japanese buyers financially. I believe they are still much more affordable in Japan than when imported into the U.S. I put "copies" in quotes in my post precisely because the Japanese builders brought their own insights, sensibilities, and aesthetic to their task, just as U.S. builders did when they adopted the aesthetic of Italian models in the 70's - they built to the ideal as they understood it as much as to the actual models.
Very interesting insight. I enjoyed your reply and analysis very much. Thanks.
Old 12-23-10, 01:27 AM
Showajitensha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeTravel_0
I recommend ordering the back-issue of Bicycle Quarterly's Autumn 2008 "Japan Special" edition

https://www.bikequarterly.com/BQ71.html
Looks like I did miss a very interesting issue. Thanks for the recommendation, look forward to some good reading!