Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rare opportunity...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rare opportunity...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 07:21 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
that's now til June with no bike?

Get a bike.

Possibly a cheap one. Sell it before you leave.

When you find your dream bike in France, don't risk it in the mail. pack it up in good case and Fly home with it when you leave.
Good advice, though it's been years, I once flew on a plane with a packed bike. They'll still do it, I'm sure, and it couldn't cost you THAT much compared with shipping. Could it? heh heh ..
If you have enough time to poke around France you could find your holy grail bike. Speak the language I presume? That'll help a lot. I'm going to Italy next month, but I ain't holding my breath. Been done to death there, but you stand a good chance in France perhaps.
Old 01-06-11, 07:57 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Baroudeur
Even if it's not a PX-10... Think it will still be there in 6 months?
If the guy continues to insist it's a PX10, then yes, he'll still have it in 6 months. Not your problem, though; you should look for a PX10, not an alleged PX10.

It will take a while to find a good bike in a strange city. You have to find the good flea market(s) and go there every week. Something will turn up, I have no doubt, but you can't expect it to turn up on a specific schedule.
Old 01-06-11, 08:10 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Is this what it appears to be??

90 euros:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbi...885.htm?ca=7_s

If that's actually a PX-10, as the seller claims, I might cry... there's absolutely no way I could ever get my hands on one of those in Portland for less than half a grand. Looks like it might even be 56cm! Even if it's not a PX-10... Think it will still be there in 6 months?

...and check out this interesting thing!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbi...633.htm?ca=7_s

Hi Baroudeur -
Perhaps you'll be relieved to know that's not a PX10. I would surmise it's a PA10 or some French equivalent.
The second bike looks a lot like a Motobecane Grand Touring.
-Both bikes circa '74 give or take.
-Both lovely bikes.

I would recommend spending serious time learning about French bikes before you go. Also, peruse the appraisal forum for French bikes.
Knowledge is your best friend... That way you'll know what to snag - and what the killer deals are. This site is a good resource, as are the various catalog sites.

https://mysite.verizon.net/vzerndgo/

https://www.gitaneusa.com/catalogues.asp

https://cyclespeugeot.com/

https://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/

.....I am sure there are others.

-And if you think you need any more inspiration than what you already have, just have a gander at these posts from one of our C&V'ers from France. . . .

An incredible collection.
A barn full.
Old 01-06-11, 08:30 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts

I'm enrolled in a studies-abroad program in France, and I'm slated to go there this coming June. I'll be there for six weeks. I dream of finding an old, top-tier racing bike in Paris. In the meantime, though, I don't have a proper fast bicycle, and craigslist is frequently a sore temptation. Furthermore, I'm a college student, and I can afford precisely one nice bicycle (unless I score an incredible deal somewhere, of course).

My question is this: Can I realistically expect to find my dream bike in Paris, or should I jump at the first opportunity I see while still in Portland? What's the vintage bicycle market like in France, anyway?

I'd love to hear any advice!
Be careful my cousin did that program and never came home going on 10yrs now. I would do as others stated and wait till you get there and look around, there were tons of vintage bikes lining the streets when I was there 3 years ago. I didn't have enough time to go looking for bikes when I was in Paris but finding something vintage shouldn't be a problem but shipping will be, I sent a box with some collectible knives and dirty laundry back ( almost had them taken from me on the Eurostar ) and it cost me $100 just to ship them and that was about 5 knives ( and I thought I saved a fortune buying them there) so I don't want to know what a bicycle would cost.
Glenn
Old 01-06-11, 08:34 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,715 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Good advice, though it's been years, I once flew on a plane with a packed bike. They'll still do it, I'm sure, and it couldn't cost you THAT much compared with shipping. Could it? heh heh .
I looked into the cost of flying with a bike a couple of years ago when I was heading to London for a week. The minimum cost then was $75 for an oversized parcel (i.e., bike box), and I'd guess it's higher now, given that most airline fees are higher. Back then, at least, it was pretty much the same cost as shipping a bike from the UK to the US.

Neal
Old 01-06-11, 09:36 AM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My uncle lived in Paris for a few years and he had lots of bikes, and is also a total cheap skate. So, I think you wont have any problem finding something fun in Paris. As for high end race bike, I dunno, but on the whole I got the impression that the used bike market there wasn't quite as hot as it is here on the West Coast. Even with the Euro being up I think you'll find something cheaper and WAY cooler w/ a good story over there. Go for it and let us know how it turns out. Good luck!
Old 01-06-11, 10:26 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I loosely know a couple of guys who make a living going to France and shipping back bikes to sell. You really need to speak the language though...
Old 01-06-11, 10:37 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks to scozim for the link - I think that site alone has convinced me to wait for France!! And thanks to everyone for all the great advice!! Boy, now I'm all excited...
+1, that's a very cool site!

Looks like there are lots of bikes loaded with cool accessories too - racks, fenders, lights, guidonnet levers, etc.

Another interesting Bernard Dangre (I've been looking for info on this manufacturer since picking one up a few years ago...)
Old 01-06-11, 01:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
I loosely know a couple of guys who make a living going to France and shipping back bikes to sell. You really need to speak the language though...
Now THAT is what I want to do when I grow up.

I can picture smuggling them in across the Canadian border.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 01-06-11 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 03:32 PM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Hi Baroudeur -
Perhaps you'll be relieved to know that's not a PX10. I would surmise it's a PA10 or some French equivalent.
I suspected it wasn't a PX-10... something didn't look right about it, and it's missing a certain 'inoxydable' sticker as well.

Originally Posted by auchencrow
I would recommend spending serious time learning about French bikes before you go. Also, peruse the appraisal forum for French bikes.
Knowledge is your best friend... That way you'll know what to snag - and what the killer deals are. This site is a good resource, as are the various catalog sites.
Don't worry, I'll be keeping in touch here! If I'm unsure of anything while I'm over there, I'll be sure to ask for advice about it.

That website is incredible, by the way... I spent hours on there, and I hardly saw a fraction of what's listed.

I know I'm not going soon, but it sure is fun to dream...

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbi...324.htm?ca=7_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbi...92.htm?ca=12_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbi...22.htm?ca=12_s

I'm still in shock at how inexpensive some of these are...! I'm calibrated for Portland prices...
Old 01-06-11, 03:39 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Is this what it appears to be??

90 euros:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbi...885.htm?ca=7_s

If that's actually a PX-10, as the seller claims, I might cry... there's absolutely no way I could ever get my hands on one of those in Portland for less than half a grand. Looks like it might even be 56cm! Even if it's not a PX-10... Think it will still be there in 6 months?
It appears to a UO8 or PA10. I think the later.

(It's also later than 1970).

It would seem the French do as well as their English/American cousins at identifying PX10s.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 01-06-11, 06:16 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I looked into the cost of flying with a bike a couple of years ago when I was heading to London for a week. The minimum cost then was $75 for an oversized parcel (i.e., bike box), and I'd guess it's higher now, given that most airline fees are higher. Back then, at least, it was pretty much the same cost as shipping a bike from the UK to the US.

Neal
That aint bad. And it would be riding in the hold right under your ...fromunder.
I'd do that.
thx
Old 01-06-11, 10:10 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if it would cost extra, but this seems to indicate bringing a well-packed bike on an Air France flight would be free. BA definitely lets you pack a bike as one of your luggage pieces, and as long as it doesn't exceed the weight limit, it's just one of your bags, and therefore free. That does limit your actual checked bagage though. Anyway, from the Air France site:

Bicycles
Bicycles are treated as baggage items. Their transport is therefore included in your baggage allowance. Beyond this allowance (up to a maximum of 23 kg/50 lb per item), a fixed-rate fee is applied. To find the amount of this fee, please use our baggage allowance calculator.

Please remember to:

remove the pedals,
remove the front wheel and attach it to the frame,
turn the handlebars to the side (parallel to the frame),
place your bicycle in a protective container (cardboard, hard plastic). Bicycle containers are available for purchase at most Air France check-in desks.

I might add: wrap it really well. But those guys can't be that much harder on a well-boxed bike than overseas shipping outfits would be.
Old 01-06-11, 11:55 PM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. I haven't booked my flights yet, but I imagine I'll be looking into that pretty soon. I'll look at each airline's policy before I make my decision. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 01-08-11, 01:24 PM
Daveyates

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Bastille in Paris and bikes can be bought very very cheaply here.
Just look on leboncoin.fr and select ile de france and you will find some amazing bargains in the suburbs.
My blue Peugeot PX10 ( a real one ) was stored in a basement and not used for years and so is in great condition was 90 euros. The guy even delivered it for an extra 10 euros.
A red PX 10 , which i was the second caller and missed it! sold for 65 euros.
I've bought a few PR10s for around 60 - 80 euros.
So in my opinion wait until you get here and snap up a good deal!