Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sources for English 3-speed parts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 12:06 PM
philski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I have a Raleigh Sports, and I'd like to get a dynohub and lights for it. I can't seem to find these things from a US vendor - anywhere! The only place I have good luck is on eBay UK, which makes sense, where (1) most vendors refuse to ship international and (2) those who do charge and outrageous amount compared to what the actual cost is.

Any US sources? or reasonable international sources you go to?

thanks,

philip
Old 01-14-11, 01:29 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Check you LBS, older shops may have some stock or used parts. The prices on ebay aren't bad if you are patient.
Old 01-14-11, 01:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
If you want a vintage SA Dynohub, eBay is probably your best bet but prices vary widely. Nor can you be certain about functionality unless the seller explicitly states it. I've paid anywhere from $12 to $40 for Dynohubs on eBay; the non-functional ones supply spare parts (axles, cones, hub shell) for the functional ones.

If you want both a functional dynohub and decent power output for night riding, a modern dynohub might be a better idea. The original Dynohubs were pretty wimpy.
Old 01-14-11, 01:48 PM
philski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If you want both a functional dynohub and decent power output for night riding, a modern dynohub might be a better idea. The original Dynohubs were pretty wimpy.
Vintage is what I am looking for just to complete the bike. It's as much about the art as it is having a light... I have a primary commuting bike with the lights and gear, this is more of a fun bike to show off and enjoy for what it is and was. So I am looking for the vintage stuff.

I've been watching ebay for a week or two and haven't found dynohubs in that price range.. they have been $80+. There is one up there now from England that is real cheap but it was just listed and has 5 days to go, plus shipping from england. Guess I'll try and be more patient.

philip
Old 01-14-11, 01:55 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by philski
I've been watching ebay for a week or two and haven't found dynohubs in that price range.. they have been $80+. There is one up there now from England that is real cheap but it was just listed and has 5 days to go, plus shipping from england. Guess I'll try and be more patient.

philip
A week or two isn't very long, I'm afraid. Keep looking!

Neal
Old 01-14-11, 02:07 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Vintage is what I am looking for just to complete the bike. It's as much about the art as it is having a light... I have a primary commuting bike with the lights and gear, this is more of a fun bike to show off and enjoy for what it is and was. So I am looking for the vintage stuff.

philip
I've been looking for a late 40's or early 50's dynohub (32H, front), and nothing has turned up on ebay for a while, but I keep my eyes open. Shipping from the UK can be remarkably cheap; it seems to depend a lot on the seller. And shipping from the UK may take a very long time -- ten weeks is not so unusual.

What vintage are you looking for? Are you planning to use your existing front rim? 32H or 36H?

Would you consider a rear dynohub? The AG hubs come up pretty often and are often cheaper than the front ones.

I got a dynohub wheel off Craigslist a couple years ago; it's definitely worth keeping an eye on that. You never know what'll turn up. Good luck, anyway!
Old 01-14-11, 02:58 PM
sillygolem
No Money and No Sense

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage is what I am looking for just to complete the bike.
If you end up going for something new you might want to take a look at Sturmey Archer. AFAIK they don't make any front hubs with the old-school logo, but the hub body, particularly a steel model, would match the look of your rear hub.
Old 01-14-11, 06:16 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I've had good luck with Old Bike Trader and on eBay UK, SpikesBikes.
Old 01-14-11, 07:30 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I've heard that many of the old dynohubs barely put out any power as the permanent magnets really aren't. If they ever were taken apart incorrectly the permanent magnets definitely aren't as they fail the instant they are removed. Just something to think about unless you want to experiment with some sort of jig to re-magnetize them. I hear it isn't easy.

I've thought about the exact same thing and instead I'm looking for a vintage-looking bottle generator as they were pretty much de rigueur on the vintage bikes back in the 50's and 60's when all the kids had such a set-up. I've got a vintage-looking bullet light and plan to put a screw-base LED into one of the bulb holders along with a full-bridge rectifier and a capictor to even out the DC ripples.

Best of both worlds. Vintage-looking and good light. I'll keep the other light hooked up to the battery so I have visibility when I'm stopped.
Old 01-14-11, 07:35 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not for original dynohubs, but for Sturmey small parts, consumables (tires, brake pads, etc), and the like, sheldonbrown.com, niagaracycle.com, and bikepartsusa.com all are pretty good.
Old 01-14-11, 07:44 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Not for original dynohubs, but for Sturmey small parts, consumables (tires, brake pads, etc), and the like, sheldonbrown.com, niagaracycle.com, and bikepartsusa.com all are pretty good.
YellowJersey has a bunch of stuff too. Much of the stuff isn't on the poorly-done website. Hopefully you get them on a good day if you talk to them on the phone. They can be grouchy in person. I used to live in Madison. They are a great resource on a good day
Old 01-14-11, 08:09 PM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lucked out last week and picked up a front 36h dynohub for $5 bucks and my local hole-in-the-wall bike repair place. It was in a milk crate of hubs w/ a cardboard sign "$5 ea" on it. Sweet. I think its functional, but I haven't actually hooked it up yet.

There was only one.

You might try setting up a google alert. You can set up google to search for you, so that if something does come up on say, craigslist or ebay, it will email you so you don't have to look all the time. Go to the main google page and I think its under the "more" listing. A good search string would be something like: dynohub site:[yourcity].craigslist.org/bik

And then Google Alerts will send you an email whenever someone posts an ad w/ the word "dynohub" in the bike section of your local craigslist. You can set up another one for ebay and so on. I find this takes some of the franticness out of searching for particular things for me personally. I constantly find myself thinking "well, I did just check five minutes ago, but what if somebody has posted one now?!" ...and then wasting my whole day, and driving myself nuts.