Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good frame for upright belt drive IGH dynamo drum brake awesome bike

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Looking for a good frame for upright belt drive IGH dynamo drum brake awesome bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-14, 12:19 PM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I'll start here.

I've been imagining a perfect city bike/grocery getter, but I'm not sure how to realize this bike. Maybe it exists already?

I'm looking for a bike with relaxed angles, upright riding position, probably a sprung saddle, north road bars (or similar), internally geared hub ~7-8 gears, front dynamo hub with drum brake, and if I get really crazy I'd go for a belt drive.

Any thoughts? Build my own? Is there a bike like this out there? The Civilian Corduroy Rebel is pretty close. Disc brakes aren't much for me, but I could probably handle that. It doesn't have the swept back bars. Anyone know if putting on north bars and a sprung saddle would work on a bike like that? I'd be changing the riding position quite a bit, and I'm not sure if that would be comfortable?

Here is one:
Civilian Corduroy Rebel - 2013

Fenders probably, front and rear racks.
Old 05-22-14, 01:52 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The drum brake requirement is going to be the disqualifier for a lot of city bikes. I think the Workcycles Secret Service meets all your criteria, but it's got a price to match: https://www.mydutchbike.com/bicycles/secret-service/ Various models from Public Bikes and Breezer Bikes tick off some of your boxes other than the brake and, for Public, the dynamo. The Bikes Direct Windsor Kensington 8 is a budget option if your main concerns are the upright seating position and the internal gear hub.
Old 05-22-14, 02:07 PM
Buikema

Bikes: '81 & '09 Phoenix rod brake roadster cargo bike, '08 Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mel2012
The drum brake requirement is going to be the disqualifier for a lot of city bikes. I think the Workcycles Secret Service meets all your criteria, but it's got a price to match: https://www.mydutchbike.com/bicycles/secret-service/ Various models from Public Bikes and Breezer Bikes tick off some of your boxes other than the brake and, for Public, the dynamo. The Bikes Direct Windsor Kensington 8 is a budget option if your main concerns are the upright seating position and the internal gear hub.
Thanks! I'll check those bikes out. I can also retrofit dynamo/drum brake hubs on my own afterwards, so that isn't a problem.
Old 05-22-14, 08:06 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Well, they need mounting points on the fork if I'm not mistaken, so there is some welding involved unless you are swapping out the fork completely.

M.
Old 05-22-14, 08:38 PM
Steltek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Trek Soho gets you 90% of the way there. Shame they discontinued it.
Old 05-22-14, 10:09 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Achille Oma has what you are looking for, except for the belt drive. I found this bike by looking for the same qualities you are seeking in a perfect city bike. I wanted drum/roller brakes, dynamo hub, a steel frame, IGH, etc. One of the reasons I chose this bike rather than a Work Cycles bike is that I was looking for something a little lighter. My bike is 18kg, so it's no lightweight, but certainly lighter than other dutch-style city bikes.

This is a complete bike, not just the frame, so if you want to build it up yourself, not the right choice. I ordered it from A Streetbike Named Desire in Palo Alto. They also have diamond and "priest" frames for this bike. I posted a review of it here: https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...pressions.html.

[IMG]P1050728 by Giant Doofus, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 05-23-14, 12:14 PM
Buikema

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! That is a beautiful bike. Color me impressed. I'm not too far from there, I'll check out the shop sometime. Great website too. Not exactly free, but one can't have it all I guess.
Old 05-23-14, 01:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have to make the rear triangle Open , in order to fit a belt drive both inside and outside the chainstay ..

IF the seat stay and the chainstay were 2 pieces held together just with the axle bolt .. and the belt tension was taken up with a Eccentric BB it could work

How many Kilo Dollars you want to spend ? a custom bike .. or modification of an existing design by a freme builder .
you can have as you wish. the belt is the big cost bump.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-23-14 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 02:17 PM
mel2012

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You don't mention how tall you are, but I see the Civilian Rebel is a 55cm. If you could fit a 53 cm bike, this is a good deal:
Gazelle Chamonix Pure T7 City Bike (Men's, Titanium, 53cm and 61cm)