Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wireless earbuds while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 06:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
a bell is legally required on all bicycles?
In some jurisdictions. Here in Philly you are technically required to have a bell or some other devise capable of producing a sound audible for a certain distance, but you may not use a whistle or siren. My guess is that last part was included a long time ago to prevent confusion with police officers.
Old 11-26-19, 09:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
GlennR you seem to be saying the cause of your being sideswiped is the road condition (too narrow). Am I right? If so, I recommend you take the lane in those places, and use a mirror. Don’t let people try to overtake you where there isn’t room.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-26-19, 09:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
a bell is legally required on all bicycles?
Yes, and it’s not only required, it’s also a good idea. If you try it, you will see what I mean. I have eight bikes, and each one has a bell, except for our tandem, which has two.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-26-19, 02:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Just glad you guys don't ride near me.
I'm always grateful when other people have the opportunity to ride with me.
Old 11-26-19, 02:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes, and it’s not only required, it’s also a good idea. If you try it, you will see what I mean. I have eight bikes, and each one has a bell, except for our tandem, which has two.
Its law in some places, but not most. At least thats what ive seen from very infrequent reading. It certainly isnt a law where I live or where I have lived(IA, IL, MS).

Bells are fine by me for sure. They are quite obvious when someone approaches from behind.
Old 11-26-19, 07:52 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
And until not too recently, every cyclist ever involved in an accident with a car was riding without ear buds.
not to be a nit picker but what does "until not too recently" mean exactly? ear buds are just head phones that fit into your ears. and head phones have been around a very long time. i'm pretty sure folks have been riding with head phones/ear buds for in excess of 40 years.
Old 11-26-19, 07:56 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
not to be a nit picker but what does "until not too recently" mean exactly? ear buds are just head phones that fit into your ears. and head phones have been around a very long time. i'm pretty sure folks have been riding with head phones/ear buds for in excess of 40 years.
I meant in the last 20-30 years or so. People have been riding bicycles for a heck of a lot longer.
Old 11-26-19, 09:09 PM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
To be a nitpicker, the Walkman was first released 40 years ago. Was it common to ride around listening to a Walkman 40 years ago? Those headphones rested lightly on the ears, and certainly didn't shut out ambient sound. The old style headphones were big and had 1/4" cable connectors to hook up to your home quadraphonic amplifier and reel to reel tape deck. No one was riding around headphones listening to their stereo 40+ years ago - their extension cords were not long enough to keep them powered.
Old 11-26-19, 09:35 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
To be a nitpicker, the Walkman was first released 40 years ago. Was it common to ride around listening to a Walkman 40 years ago? Those headphones rested lightly on the ears, and certainly didn't shut out ambient sound. The old style headphones were big and had 1/4" cable connectors to hook up to your home quadraphonic amplifier and reel to reel tape deck. No one was riding around headphones listening to their stereo 40+ years ago - their extension cords were not long enough to keep them powered.
Remembering the Sony Walkman | Like Totally 80s

i guess to continue to nitpick...the gold Walkman at the top of the page is what i rode around with. 3.5mm plug with head phones that fit into your ear, not the large head phones you elude to. this thing was so sweet i practically had this thing on all day every day. a mechanical marvel with spectacular audio. with no cassette inside it was nearly the same size as a cassette in its little case as the photo shows. so that was 1982 (before i searched it up i though '83). that is nearly 40 years ago. prior to that, many years in fact, i had a transistor radio (dating myself?) with a simple crystal earpiece while riding, not the best audio by far but adequate for the times.

https://www.jameco.com/z/FEL-971102-...oaAmCtEALw_wcB
Old 11-26-19, 09:57 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
I love riding with my bluetooth speaker. All the benefits of music and you still get all the ambient sounds. Besides, you will not be passing me, I will be passing you. That is the added benefit, no need to call out that I am coming up, since you already heard me.
truth.
Old 11-28-19, 04:29 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I ride with earbuds in. I use the Shure se215. They have a wire to connect both buds. They work great. I also have tried the Samsung galaxy buds, and those too are nice.

If I'm on a section of road where there's no shoulder or dedicated bike lane, I'll pop the left bud out to listen to traffic. I do, however, also use a Garmin Varia radar that's synced to my wrist watch and head unit. The watch will vibrate (in case I miss the head unit notification). The head unit tells me how many cars are approaching, their relative distance and relative speed. I do head-checks, over my shoulder, whenever necessary. I find my spatial awareness to be more in tune than others. I feel confident and safe using both earbuds, but just for absolute safety I will occasionally only use one earbud.
Old 11-28-19, 06:38 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
I have and do ride from time to time with earbuds in and listening to music. I keep the volume to a reasonable level and can easily hear cars approaching. Plus I use a Varia radar which works fantastic. The new Apple earbuds have a transparency mode which allows sound through.

Hearing impared people ride safely and some of my friends which require hearing aids never wear them riding due to wind noise. But to each his own.
I wear hearing aids that fit just inside the ear not deep inside the ear canal. I can NOT wear them when riding the bicycle even at slow speed due to the wind noise. I use to let them dangle around my neck via two cords one in front of my neck and the other behind it. Saturday a loop on the hearing aid let go and I lost it when the two cords disconnected from it.

I would not wear anything that would lessen ambient sounds or possible distract me when riding my bicycle.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-29-19, 12:03 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I ride with a bell and use it when ever I encounter pedestrians or cyclists on an MUP or on the street. Often people do not hear it because they have ear buds in their ears, so when I go by, passing in either direction, I cant' be sure that they know I'm there. Any sudden movement into my path is possible for any number of reasons. It seems reasonable to me to be aware of your surroundings when moving or when encountering others who are to insure safety.
Old 11-29-19, 12:42 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Passing people is just a huge risk area for me. Anymore, if I am on a MUP, I pretty much slow to a crawl when passing peds/pets. They almost never hear me when I shout which side I'm coming on. Totally unpredictable. I'm afraid I am going to hit one of them. I give other cyclists a huge berth when passing them. I just think that passing is a very dangerous thing these days. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-29-19, 01:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Passing people is just a huge risk area for me. Anymore, if I am on a MUP, I pretty much slow to a crawl when passing peds/pets. They almost never hear me when I shout which side I'm coming on. Totally unpredictable. I'm afraid I am going to hit one of them. I give other cyclists a huge berth when passing them. I just think that passing is a very dangerous thing these days. Better safe than sorry.
That's why many here preach to just avoid the MUPs as much as possible. In my area, there are times when a short trip on the paths is the safest and/or most convenient way of getting to/from roads that are more suitable for riding. In those instances, I hop on the path, ride conservatively, and save any spirited efforts for the roads.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-29-19, 01:20 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's why many here preach to just avoid the MUPs as much as possible. In my area, there are times when a short trip on the paths is the safest and/or most convenient way of getting to/from roads that are more suitable for riding. In those instances, I hop on the path, ride conservatively, and save any spirited efforts for the roads.
+1

I ride the MUPs for about 3 miles at the beginning and end of many rides, but as a warm-up/cool down, and to avoid a few traffic lights.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-29-19, 03:31 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 11-29-19, 04:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Saw these at the local running shop. Not sure if they are any better.

Old 11-29-19, 04:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
In my humble opinion, a cyclist needs all his senses to be at 100% while riding. If there’s anything preventing that, even ever so slightly ...you’re really not doing all you can to be the safest possible.
If you're on a bicycle, especially outside, you're not doing everything to be as safe as possible. Everybody accepts a certain amount of risk. Some people are willing to accept more than others, and that's ok.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-29-19, 04:46 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I meant in the last 20-30 years or so. People have been riding bicycles for a heck of a lot longer.
they also do not have smartphone that distract the driver 20-30 years ago, what is your point?
Old 11-29-19, 05:03 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you're on a bicycle, especially outside, you're not doing everything to be as safe as possible. Everybody accepts a certain amount of risk. Some people are willing to accept more than others, and that's ok.
Your statement is true, and so is mine.
Old 11-29-19, 05:08 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
How much more awareness do you get from listening than you do from seeing behind you via your mirror?
Bingo, I ride 95ish percent of the time with earphones in and it's all good. The wind noise when I don't keeps me from hearing behind me anyway I've notice over and over again. But I also use a helmet mirror and feeling totally freaked without it. It's a much, much better tool for seeing what's coming behind then my useless hearing.
Old 11-29-19, 05:14 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Old 11-29-19, 05:14 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Your statement is true, and so is mine.
but your statement doesn't help answer the question asked by the OP.
Old 11-29-19, 05:23 PM
jamesdak 

For the OP, It's been 20 or so years now but one thing we were developing in my military days was a bone mic setup for our guys to use during HALO jumps. The mic sat on the top of the head under the helmet. Worked well for most guys but one. We used to tease him that his skull was too thick. When free falling wind noise is way higher than what any of us will experience on a bike. Anyway, I'd imagine that tech is much more advanced now. We were also working with a ear piece/bone mic that sat in the ear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.