Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They're not even trying to pretend anymore ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 08:21 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts

I don't know if this is the first of its kind (probably not) but Electra has gone full mini-bike.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/ponto-go/

Oh, yeah, they say you can get it up to 26 mph with the pedals! HAHA! Gimme a break; it weighs 80 pounds!

Only in America--because it's flatly illegal in Europe, and maybe most of the rest of the world.

Ponto Go Home!
Old 08-12-23, 08:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Uh, it comes with turn signals and brake light? Doesn’t sound much like an assisted bicycle to me.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-12-23, 08:44 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Apart from anything bike-related, their use of the term "good trouble" in marketing an e-bike rubs me the wrong way. Trek is no John Lewis.
Old 08-12-23, 08:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I don't know if this is the first of its kind (probably not) but Electra has gone full mini-bike.

Oh, yeah, they say you can get it up to 26 mph with the pedals! HAHA! Gimme a break; it weighs 80 pounds!

Only in America--because it's flatly illegal in Europe, and maybe most of the rest of the world.

Ponto Go Home!
Pedal assist up to 28 MPH is considered Class 3 e-bike in the US. There are e-bikes from companies like Tern and Specialized that fall into Class 3, not just Electra.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-12-23, 09:05 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
I don't know if this is the first of its kind (probably not)
Yeah,

There's actually a whole bunch of ebike/motorcycles out there.. Hopefully owners understand when their "bike" isn't appropriate for the family bike path.

They put pedals on it so they can call it a bike, but I don't think the builders really expect anyone to use them on pedal power alone.

Last edited by mtnbud; 08-12-23 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 09:36 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Uh, it comes with turn signals and brake light? Doesn’t sound much like an assisted bicycle to me.
Well, I look forward to the day when all bicycles have those things.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 08-12-23, 09:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...the NY Times did a series of recent articles in the Health section, remarking on how this market demographic has thus far eluded meaningful regulation.
I started a thread on it in A+S, but it got trolled into closure fairly quickly. The articles are linked there. Anybody else read the two NY times articles on e-bikes today ?

of the stuff I see here out on the MUP, 50% is styled like a motorcycle now. I guess that's what sells. I try to stay out of their way. I don't get the impression the people on them are skilled or knowledgeable.

In other news, as injury rates go up, regulation will eventually pay attention. Someone in P+R pointed out to me that 4 wheeled Neighborhood Electric Vehicles are regulated by the DMV in California. They are much more heavily regulated, need to be registered, and are limited to 25 MPH top speed.
Old 08-12-23, 10:11 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
So... what's the problem again? That bike has pedals so you can get it to 27 mph and saves on battery when you pedal it. Throttles only to 20 mph.
But it's about 15-20 lbs too heavy and about $1,000. too much.
If you don't like them.. just look away....and you won't get grumpy.
Old 08-12-23, 10:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Those kinds of eebs are a blast to ride, and IMO, one of the best ways to get around dense cities like Paris, CDMX, and NYC. I’m not one to mingle with the hoi polloi on public transit, though.
Old 08-13-23, 12:06 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Yeah,

There's actually a whole bunch of ebike/motorcycles out there.. Hopefully owners understand when their "bike" isn't appropriate for the family bike path.

They put pedals on it so they can call it a bike, but I don't think the builders really expect anyone to use them on pedal power alone.

https://youtu.be/G_SCxIBRfwc
There's been motorcycles called "Mopeds"* for decades. They have pedals, but also a throttle and were considered motorcycles. I, for the life of me, can't understand why lawmakers consider the electric equivalent to be bicycles. Both do allow you to pedal, yes, but also allow you to run them by throttle, with no pedaling. Why is a quiet motorcycle any different than a loud one?

*I'm talking about real mopeds with pedals. The term moped, in a lot of cases, has been generalized to any small motorized scooter (like a Vespa), but the key is real mopeds, like electric throttle operated "bicycles" have pedals.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-13-23, 12:08 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
So... what's the problem again? That bike has pedals so you can get it to 27 mph and saves on battery when you pedal it. Throttles only to 20 mph.
If it has a throttle that allows you to move without pedaling, it's a motorcycle by any reasonable definition , not a bicycle. Regardless of what the idiot regulators think.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-13-23, 12:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...looking away is a bad idea when something is coming at you going 25 mph that weighs that much, in a three foot wide bike lane. In California, they are even legal on sidewalks,

. If you read those NYT articles, maybe you'll figure out that :

1. Regulations differ by state.
2. Many of them are subject to user modification to eliminate those pesky speed governors.

Those are problems, even with experienced users. This discussion always goes in this direction. It's too bad, because while the discussions get shut down quickly, the marketplace continues to overload the relatively limited bicycle infrastructure here, with stuff that was prohibited, when propelled with ICE technology. It's not about them going faster than me. In fact, I consciously slow down when I'm aware of them nearby. I want them to get far away from me, in the shortest time frame possible. It's about the standard problem of increasing severity of injury, in collisions involving higher forces due to mass and speed.
Old 08-13-23, 12:39 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
If it has a throttle that allows you to move without pedaling, it's a motorcycle by any reasonable definition , not a bicycle. Regardless of what the idiot regulators think.
Unless it's a torque sensing PAS, even a cadence sensing e-assist can move without the pedaling needing any real effort. You can just put it in a ridiculously low gear and let the motor do ALL the work. And? On the scale of evil things humans can do I consider this stuff SMALL potatoes. And if you are so small that needing to see people pedal their bikes even if the pedaling is pointless ... that's just ... small. Those monowheel things ... stand up scooters ... motorcycles by any reasonable definition? Whelp, I think its time to stop supporting the irrational e-bike hate that proliferates on BF and really start shaming the haters. E-bikes are here. They aren't going anywhere. I don't ride one (yet) but I don't think that people that do, or want to, are damned to hellfire.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 08-13-23, 03:19 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Solex, Puch, Spree, etc. all come to mind when I watch the video. Just a different flavor of moped, that's all. A long, long time ago the shop I worked in took on Solex to see what kind of extra numbers they were able to add to the bottom line. One year and we were out of it. Needed a small engine repair person on staff and there was not enough profit to permit it.
I imagine the e-bikes and e-mopeds will get to the same place, a tech on staff that is able to work on them in an efficient manner. Could be a gold mine in the right community.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-13-23, 03:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
One of the reasons I cycle is to get the health benefits of regular, strenuous exercise. If e-bikes evolve (devolve?) into battery operated mini-bikes then that benefit is gone.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-13-23, 05:29 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I think it's pretty cool. Throttle and comfortable seating. Self aware and little attempt to mimic an actual bike. If I wanted a motorbike it would be something similar. That said, I question the wisdom of this thread outside of "Ebikes."
Old 08-13-23, 05:32 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Well, I look forward to the day when all bicycles have those things.
It's not like signal lights would be used anyway. The ONLY reason brake lights are used is because people have no choice as the are activated when the brakes are used.

Originally Posted by Camilo
If it has a throttle that allows you to move without pedaling, it's a motorcycle by any reasonable definition.
That would make it a MOPED not a motorcycle.

Originally Posted by bruce19
One of the reasons I cycle is to get the health benefits of regular, strenuous exercise. If e-bikes evolve (devolve?) into battery operated mini-bikes then that benefit is gone.
Easy solution - don't get one.. It's not like anyone would be forcing you to get one. Being said I ran out of battery on my E-converted touring bike after 100 KM off road. It was a great workout to make the final 30km to my stop for the day. I was nursing a injury at the time and would have NEVER been able to ride that far at all if it was not assisted.
Old 08-13-23, 05:43 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
As I said....
Old 08-13-23, 05:50 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
My last ride I was passed quickly by an e-bike at the start of a 10% grade. The young man was soft pedaling and gave me plenty of room.
At first I thought it was a Tesla due to the motor's sound and noise from the churning 4 inch treads until it came around the corner. They are noisy beasts.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-13-23, 06:00 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts

Ponto Go Home!
How far does it go before it requires a recharge? 50 miles? 75 miles? 100 miles? What if the battery fails or runs out early after riding that fat thing only 25 miles? Do we have to find an electric outlet on the road side at a gas station or fast-food restaurant? How many hours does it take to recharge? Do we still have to carry tire levers, a tire tube, stand by the road and struggle to remove and put back that fat tire, whenever there is a flat?

I think I will stick to the old-school approach and continue pedaling my very fine vintage road bike for an unlimited number of miles at a speed of 20 mph. This not only keeps my feet strong but also contributes to maintaining excellent health. I do not think I am willing to take the additional headaches that come with latest technologies for a mere additional 6 mph at this time.
Old 08-13-23, 07:18 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
If ebikes evolve as you describe and you continue to ride your regular bicycle, you'll continue to get the health benefits of regular, strenuous exercise.

Some ebike users have different objectives - getting to work without being a sweaty mess, bringing young children to the park, hauling a week's worth of groceries home. They still get some exercise, and each trip they take decreases the number of cars on the road

If we all play our cards right, that can lead to more bike infrastructure for all of us.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-13-23, 07:27 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I agree. No one should feel threatened...LOL!!
Old 08-13-23, 07:35 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
For what amounts to an electric toy the prices alone make them ridiculously easy to avoid AFAIC. I suspect that some parents will be fooled by the "bicycle" and "electric". But, mopeds never really found a niche in the culture of cars and didn't leave an empty one, and ebikes may not either. Even the Cub that made Honda's fortune has faded into obscurity.
My worry level is still zero
JMO of course. YMMV

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 08-13-23 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-13-23, 08:56 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
So ... we are so glad we live in America, where we have freedom .... to tell everyone else how they need to live to make us happy.

And we are so glad we have a form of free-market capitalism because we have access to an amazing range of products ... but nobody ever better ever produce a product we don't like or approve of. Who cares what other people want? I f I don't want it, no one else can have rights of freedoms. Screw everybody else.

Another thread here deals with the unbelievable outrage of people Walking on a multi-use path designed for walking and riding. And there have been threads which descried people rising pedal-powered bikes too fast on MUPs (shouting "Strava, Strava!" as they blew through crowds.)

So ... people like to ride electric scooters. Yeah, I can see how letting people do what they want is a real problem. They also drive cars .... and kill 30-40 Thousand people each year. And cars Are heavily regulated. Where is your list of the people who have caused injury and death on these scooters?

Should they be allowed on MUPs? Well ... should pedal bikers? After all, one butthead on a pedal bike can create as much havoc as on any other transport modality. Should peo0pel be allowed to bring dogs? We all know of times butthead dog owners have created hazards on MUPs. How about kids? Let's ban kids entirely----you want a child, keep it indoors until it is 18. Then our residential streets and MUPs would be more available for people on pedal bikes who think they own those streets and paths. And let's ban headphones anywhere except in the home or on public transit.

First point---things aren't that bad. Second--if there is a serious issue, prove it, and then get active. Whining here just makes you all look silly. If these scooters are universally hazardous, getting legislation should be easy. If not ... then you are just looking for outlets upon which to vent your general anomie .... so get a life, or make your own life better, and stop blaming the world. it isn't the world.

I see a lot of these mini-electric motorcycles. They are usually ridden by older teens and younger adults, in the bike lanes, and rarely are the riders pedaling. What does this mean? It means there are fewer cars, and fewer people using all the resources cars use. I'd wager that a short commute on an e-bike uses a Lot less energy than doing anything in a car, and since almost all cars have only a single person inside ......

If the issue is abuse, demand enforcement. Demand enforcement for All road users, or for whoever actually and demonstrably breaks laws and creates hazards. if you truly do see a lot of people using these things in an illegal fashion treat it as you would any other crime. Document it and report it. Publish the video online and put pressure on local politicians. That's how change starts ... not by whining here.

If your issue is just fear then get over it.

If the issue is that you are offended that someone might think You are actually an "e-cyclist" and not a "Real Cyclist™" get over yourself.

There are a lot of ways to live life. You can tell when a person is satisfied with his/her options---it is when they start trying to limit everyone else;'s options. "I got mine. Everybody else needs to be shut down so I don't have to share."

Yeah ... a lot of people like the idea of riding a small, maneuverable, inexpensive vehicles. heard of mopeds? Somehow, mopeds and gas-powered scooters, with all the same performance abilities, have failed to end the world in a century of trying. Probably e-scooters will not end the world either.

Go ride your bike.
Old 08-13-23, 08:57 AM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have no desire to own an e-bike. None. Zero. Nada. Zip. However it's none of my business what other people choose to ride but I do have some opinions about them.

I don't understand people that ride an e-bike for exercise. An hour or two of riding is an hour or two of riding. Why does it matter how far or fast you go? Isn't the effort put into pedaling the point?

I also don't understand people that claim the only way they can ride is with an electric assist bike. Why? You may be slower and can't go as far but so what? The ride is the point, not distance and speed.

I do understand people that get an e-bike as their main source of transportation and use them to commute in urban areas. That makes sense to me. They're economical and convenient. Good call.

The ebike community had better get their collective stuff together and self impose some sort of standards and etiquette on how they're going to interact with cars, pedestrians and other cyclists. If they don't they're going to create a storm of rules, regulations, ordinances, etc they will not like. Licenses? Insurance? Unable to access certain trails? Minimum equipment requirements (lights, horn, etc). They had better start riding their ebikes in responsible ways or things are going to change in ways they will not like.

I like the above comment that compared ebikes to mopeds. The exact same thing IMO except one has a gas motor and the other an electric motor.

Last edited by Caveman; 08-13-23 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For Caveman:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.