Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front Brake on the Right for Motorcycle Training?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Front Brake on the Right for Motorcycle Training?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 05:46 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Other than having handlebars and a hand-lever operated brake; the controls are so different between motors and velos, that setting up a velo with FR brakes for “training” is not much more than a placebo.
IME, throttle and clutch management is what takes most people more time to develop than braking, which is pretty straightforward.

Maybe also being an MTB guy; I always start rear brake first; that carried over to the motos. Starting with the rear, you’re already slowing and setting the suspension before the fronts start, lessening the “dive” that feels like you’re going to OTB.

Brakes aren’t an either/or all-or-nothing proposition ; I’m not sure why that trope persists around here.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-18-23, 06:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Don't European bikes generally put the front brake on the right?

I know chain reaction cycle often specifies brake sets in either configuration.
Europe is left, UK is right. Hence why Chain Reaction offer both.
Old 08-18-23, 06:11 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
😅 I'm still too fat for the sport bike riding position!

That said, as far as sport bikes go, I've seen quite a few used 250 Zooks for sale but no 250 Ninjas; all the Ninjas I've seen posted up locally were 400 and up - most of them 600s and higher.

The reason I say vintage Virago is because I'm a bit of an automotive atavist - I have more faith in points and carburetors than ECMs and by-wires (as I said earlier, my daily driver is a 1982 Peugeot 504 wagon.) Plus, Viragos are plentiful, and by all accounts are quality, highly customizable machines that can be anything and everything anyone wants them to be.
not familiar with the recent 250 - but the earlier Ninja 250 actually had a fairly upright riding position ... much more than the 600 sport bikes ... Ninja 600, CBR600, FZR600, R whatever, GSXR ...

with low seat height, low weight, and a fairly comfortable riding position, the little Ninja - ‘Ninjette’ - was very popular with shorter riders and inexperienced riders including females ... despite the high revving engine (max hp @ 12,500 rpm ? / 14,000 rpm redline) the bike could be chugged around at low rpms all day long with little/no complaints ... throw some sticky rubber on it and a few other mods and you could have the ‘queen of lean’

I have not seen points on a motorcycle since early 70’s - and nor would I want to ... lol ... electronic ignition was one of the better advancements to motorcycles back in the day ...

Last edited by t2p; 08-18-23 at 06:21 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-18-23, 07:16 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

even smaller bikes can be fun ... vintage small displacement... 100 cc ...125 cc ....

bunch of guys I rode with (motorcycles and bicycles) started an informal group at one time ... ‘100 club’ ... vintage 100 and 125 cc and similar bikes ... street legal - most street and trail ... there were around 10 in the group and they had a blast riding those bikes ...
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-18-23, 07:31 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I used to ride motorcycles as well as a bicycle. At one time I had a BSA (made in England) and a Suzuki (Japanese) and the foot shifter and foot (rear) brake were on opposite sides on the motorcycles. So I had 2 motorcycles with opposite rear brake actuation and a bicycle with the rear brake actuated by a right hand brake lever. Never a problem with what worked for what. Doubt you'll have a problem.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-18-23, 08:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I've been a motorcyclist and bicyclist simultaneously for decades and say don't bother switching your bicycle lever. Simply not an issue.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-19-23, 05:18 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
as jon c. said. i rode motorcycles for 35 years and never thought about it.
This
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 08-21-23, 03:52 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I used to ride motorcycles as well as a bicycle. At one time I had a BSA (made in England) and a Suzuki (Japanese) and the foot shifter and foot (rear) brake were on opposite sides on the motorcycles. So I had 2 motorcycles with opposite rear brake actuation and a bicycle with the rear brake actuated by a right hand brake lever. Never a problem with what worked for what. Doubt you'll have a problem.
I had a track motorcycle with GP shifting - 1 up, 5 down. Street motorcycles are the opposite - 1 down, 4 or 5 up. Why the difference? GP shifting facilitates upshifts mid-corner - a simple downward tap of the shift lever while leaned over instead of trying to get the toe of your boot beneath the shifter without catching your toe on the asphalt.

It took less than half a lap to transition from street shifting to GP shifting.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-21-23, 07:15 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
I had a track motorcycle with GP shifting - 1 up, 5 down. Street motorcycles are the opposite - 1 down, 4 or 5 up. Why the difference? GP shifting facilitates upshifts mid-corner - a simple downward tap of the shift lever while leaned over instead of trying to get the toe of your boot beneath the shifter without catching your toe on the asphalt.

It took less than half a lap to transition from street shifting to GP shifting.
Triumph rider.. also Matchles G80 Dirt bike.. I think AMC gearbox.... 1 up 3 down... this always made more sense to me.... push forward to go faster, pull back to slow up....plus the forward downward press on the shifter resulted in a "more positive" shift.
And BTW.. prefer front brake on the right on a bicycle.

Why Brits drive on the left..... there are some reasons ... some might not fit.
1800 horse and buggy traffic.... you sat on the right of the buggy because most were right handed and used stronger right arm to control buggy whip.
Another thought... you are right handed and you go to the left in emergency to grab your sword... which is on your left.
How that all relates.....I don't know.

Last edited by trailangel; 08-21-23 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-21-23, 08:47 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I'm right front and always have been it never made sense to me to use my non-dominant hand on my most powerful brake
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-22-23, 04:31 AM
t2p

not sure I could do a nose wheelie (‘stoppie’) with left lever controlling the front brake

guess I could with practice ...
Old 08-22-23, 07:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
You are overthinking this. The brain knows when it is on a bicycle or a motorcycle and does indeed remember the differences in the controls.
Don't fear the motorbike. That fear will translate to errors.
Back in the early '80's I was an MSF Instructor. For 16 yrs I rode a BMW. For the following 26 yrs it was Ducati and this year I bought a new Triumph. But, I digress. I've also ridden road bikes for about over 40 yrs. I have yet to be confused by the switch form bicycle to motorcycle.
Old 08-22-23, 07:20 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Move the bicycle's front hand brake to the right. Then switch to a Sturmey-Archer S2C hub in the back, so you shift and brake with your feet. Bicycle ~ motorcycle.
Old 08-22-23, 07:37 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
You can look back through the Schwinn catalogs and see that there was no American standard for hand brake level placement in the 1930s. This became regularized sometime in the 1950s. In the USA a bicycle's front hand brake is now required to be on the left (that is, when bicycles are sold new retail) by the CPSC. The thinking was that since the rider would legally be signaling turns and stops with their left hand, it was better to provide the idiot proof (skiddie safer than stoppie) rear brake to the hand remaining on the handlebars.

Once you own the bike, you can put the levers/brakes any way you like.
Old 08-22-23, 08:01 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I've been riding both for over 20 years, I've never had a problem switching between bicycles and motos. Even in "panic" scenarios, there has never been any confusion about the function of the levers.

I do admit that I have issues driving automatics sometimes...nothing major though. All my vehicles are manuals, so I'll find myself pushing the invisible clutch pedal and reaching for a shifter when in an auto.

Last edited by Sierra_rider; 08-22-23 at 08:16 AM.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 08-22-23, 08:12 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I've been riding both for over 20 years, I've never had a problem switching between bicycles and motos. Even in "panic" scenarios, there has never been any confusion about the function of the levers.

I do admit that I have issues driving automatics sometimes...nothing major though. All my vehicles are manuals, so I'll fine myself pushing the invisible clutch pedal and reaching for a shifter when in an auto.
Apparently you do have a problem.
Old 08-22-23, 08:40 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I think this falls under personal preference, but I have never seen a need to run bicycle brake levers "moto style". The people I know who do this seem to make a point to tell people that they do this, and then offer up various reasons as to why they do this.

I have definitely never had a problem forgetting which lever does what. I've also never had a problem switching between manual and automatic cars, and operating right-hand/left-hand drive cars (even with manuals).

The one area I have occasionally gotten confused on is trying to get into the passenger side of a RHD car. Also, pulling out of parking lots in the UK and turning onto small roads with no marked centerline still breaks my brain for a moment - forgetting which side of the road I should be on. Also as a pedestrian in the UK and forgetting to look for traffic coming from the right, instead of the left.
Old 08-22-23, 08:55 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
To the OP. OK to do either setup. Change brake side on the pedal bike or just adapt to having moto & pedal different.
Depending on which bicycle you get, switching a hydraulic system to the opposite side is some work, and hosing could add further issues.
Personally, I've had no issues using front right moto and front left bicycle braking and adapting easily to either.
A couple things though on becoming a moto rider (on road).
I'm surprised how many moto riders never practice braking. A very important skill, maybe more than any other. When you need to actually use full braking, it's often a surprise, and need the highest skill level to maximze. DO practice braking sessions as you start riding moto, in a large open space, like a clear parking lot. Practice smoothness and also how to quickly get to max braking WITHOUT losing traction - to the point where you can even do 'stoppies'.
Things happen very quickly on a moto, and often your safety and health lie in the balance of how quickly and skillfully you react.
Always ride within your sight envelope, never assume, things change in an instant.
DO adher to ATGATT !!! It's prolly the primary reason why I'm here at this moment, able to post at this moment - buy the best Moto Kit you can, it can make the critical difference when things go south... and they do go south, in an instant.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-22-23, 10:06 AM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
I ride both. I've always wondered why it is that I've never confused front and rear brakes on either machine. For me, switching the levers is a solution in search of a problem. I also understand that others may not have the same experience as me.
Old 08-22-23, 06:33 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I've been riding bicycles and Moto for over 55 years it's not a big deal. I've thought about changing my mtb bicycle around to match my moto's but it's not really that big of a deal, really even when I ride my mtb. if I were younger and rode more aggressive mtb I might do it but I just do xc mtb so it's no big deal.
Old 08-22-23, 06:40 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I rode motorcycles when I was younger, never considered switching the brakes on my bicycles.
When I was in grad school in the 70's I had a Saab 96 with four speeds on the column. One day I was sent into Boston in a University car which had three speeds on the column. At the first traffic light I nearly backed into the car behind me!
Old 08-23-23, 09:18 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I sold my Harley and Triumph motorcycles after my hip replacements and got a Suzuki Burgman - an overgrown scooter. It has no clutch, so the left hand lever is for the front brake, not for a clutch. It took me awhile to get used to not having to shift at all.

My bicycle brakes are all LF, RR.
Old 08-23-23, 09:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Assuming the motorcycle has the hand clutch on the left and the rear brake on the foot, I never had one bit of issue going between that and a bike with the front brake on the left. Its been years since I rode a motorcycle, though.

The two are just such different animals. For me
there was no ”adaptation” going from one to the other, any more than adapting from a foot accelerator on a car to a twist throttle on a motorcycle.

I think you are far more likely to F yourself up switching your bike brakes around, because now anytime you ride any other bike the brake will be backwards. And THAT is something that is sketchy.
Old 08-23-23, 10:03 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
All my bikes set up with front brake on the right. Just like my old motorcycles.

Having your rear brake on the left is especially useful when using down tube friction shifters.

Wonder what the e-bikers think?

Oh... That's right, those a motorcycles already...
Old 08-24-23, 02:33 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
In the UK having the front brake on the right is the standard. I once bought a bike that was set up with the front brake on the left so I thought I'd give it a go. All was ok until I had to do an emergency stop, whereupon I found I was locking up the back wheel. My brain was clearly conditioned to apply slightly more pressure to the right-hand lever. In my case, of course, I had no particular reason to persevere so I got them swapped over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.