Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite lock frozen from salt corrosion -- how to rescue?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 09:48 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

My stubby Fuhgettabouttit Kryptonite lock sat chained and forgotten to a rack at work where sidewalk brine and the elements took their tolls. Sometime during the pandemic to today.

One of the supply rooms at work had a flat can of WD-40, and I poured that into the lock. It helped me get my key all the way in, but I'm not able to turn it and unlock it.

Anyone know what kind of metal Kryptonite uses for its internal mechanism? I'm assuming some kind of stainless steel that is not all the way resistant to corrosion.

This morning, I poured some rust and blue remover, from a gun kit, along with some light penetrating oil. We'll see during lunch if that's had any effect.

Anyone get a Kryptonite lock working again after a similar stint against the elements?
Old 09-14-23, 09:53 AM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
Load it up with PB Blaster or Kroil—don't waste your time with other fluids. Let it soak overnight, then do it again and let it sit again. I had a similar issue with a Thule Circuit fork mount and it took a couple of days to loosen it up to the point where I could take it apart and clean it up. Chances are, it's salvageable with the right penetrant (not WD40).
Likes For purpurite:
Old 09-14-23, 12:14 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
You can also make up your own fluid to break through the corrosion by mixing 50/50 Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone. Soaking in Vinegar also helps but may take a lot longer. As mentioned by purpurite, it will probably take overnight at minimum to loosen up and maybe longer.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-14-23, 03:10 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
You can also make up your own fluid to break through the corrosion by mixing 50/50 Automatic Transmission Fluid and Acetone. Soaking in Vinegar also helps but may take a lot longer. As mentioned by purpurite, it will probably take overnight at minimum to loosen up and maybe longer.
I just ordered a quart of ATF to mix with some acetone. I'd read that is the best solution for rusted steel threads. We'll see how it goes.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 09-15-23, 11:54 AM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You can see the basic lock internals and picking demo on the "Lock Picking Lawyer" YouTube video:

I took my older NY apart just to see it, but can't say what the key metals are; the cylinder is cast, and I can't say what the discs are made of.
Old 09-15-23, 06:37 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Second kroil or PB blaster. Peni-lube is another good penetrating oil as mentioned above it may take a few days