Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do latex tubes go bad in a few years?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 03:44 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I have sweet pink latex Victoria tubes in various wheels. Last week on a ride both wheels on my gravel bike flatted in the same place of the tube, due to tube failure, an hour apart. The rims are different, the wheels are different, and they both have good rim tape. Yet each tube failed in the same place -- at the edge of the reinforcement by the valve. I told the patient dudes who I was riding with that these tubes were a few years old and they said well that explains it. (Thankfully these flat fixes were snappy, in the 3-minute zone.) I have had old tubes many times. Does latex just expire? Last shorter than butyl? I probably did buy them at the same time! Suspicious about this flat timing! They are wide tubes. I am running 38mm RH tires at ballpark 40psi, my weight 180#, they ride great. Normally I would just patch small holes like these have but I am suspicious for various reasons! Does anyone know what is up? Thanks...

Old 09-24-23, 05:02 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Outside of a tire, they decay relatively rapidly. Inside a tire, they shouldn’t have too many problems. Rubber is fairly easy to keep from decaying if it is kept from light and ozone.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-24-23, 06:17 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I use the same tubes, never had one fail like shown in the picture. That kind of looks like a pinch puncture. I have also patched many latex tubes, with Rema patches and glue being the best, IMO. I have found glue less patches eventually release from the latex. I have one tube with 8 patches on it, still in use. I know I have had some of my latex tubes for a number of years, I believe I have never had one fail due to age deterioration.
Old 09-24-23, 06:53 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
You say they both failed at the edge of the reinforcement by the valve. This prompts me to ask: how is your inflation technique? Are you inadvertently pushing the valve in (or pulling it out) too many times as you go to inflate them before each ride? I have found that when I run the pink latex Vittoria tubes I will develop leaks in that same general vicinity and the failure is caused by my own trauma I am causing by my pump head.

I came up with my own system of keeping the unthreaded valve stems from moving:
Likes For masi61:
Old 09-24-23, 08:42 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Looking at the location and style of the puncture I'd guess there's something wrong with the rim strip in the wheel, maybe a sharp edge if its plastic, often the overlap is near the valve hole, or its pushed away from the spoke hole. Don't know how long they last, most seem to die from punctures.
Old 09-25-23, 12:02 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
YES, latex tubes age, dryout and oxidize. You'll see a color shift to brown as they age, and be warned that old latex tends to be brittle, and what would normally be a simple puncture ends up as tube shrapnel when you go to fix it.

I speak from 1st hand experience of 50+ years riding tubulars with latex tubes. Long runs of good luck, and wet riding has had me face this on a regular basis. It's also a good argument for making sure that spare tires are rotated into service rather than being carried as spares too long.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-25-23, 05:37 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I came up with my own system of keeping the unthreaded valve stems from moving:
Clever - nylon spacer w/ setscrew? I'll have to look through the Hillman bins at work, see if I can find something I can start with. There are solid and split 'shaft collars' in steel in 'em too but those are heavier (by how much I have to ask?) and would rust eventually. Maybe brass? Still heavy.

Stay tuned....
Likes For spclark:
Old 09-25-23, 06:06 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by spclark
Clever - nylon spacer w/ setscrew? I'll have to look through the Hillman bins at work, see if I can find something I can start with. There are solid and split 'shaft collars' in steel in 'em too but those are heavier (by how much I have to ask?) and would rust eventually. Maybe brass? Still heavy.

Stay tuned....
Ruland Clamp style collar 6mm. Has stainless steel set screw. Before I started using them I would develop leaks around the valve base just like the OP describes. I have since started using one of those Japanese side clamping “Hiro?” pump heads which once you get the hang of it they hold pressure well, don’t require pushing down on the valve stem for daily re-inflation before rides. I use the inexpensive copy pump head made by KCNC.
Old 09-25-23, 06:18 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Ruland Clamp style collar 6mm. Has stainless steel set screw.
Thanks!
In your pic that collar looks like HDPE or nylon; I'll have to look at Ruland's catalog to find similar item. Hillman has steel split shaft collars in various sizes but nothing in plastic that I know about.
Likes For spclark:
Old 09-25-23, 06:36 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by spclark
Thanks!
In your pic that collar looks like HDPE or nylon; I'll have to look at Ruland's catalog to find similar item. Hillman has steel split shaft collars in various sizes but nothing in plastic that I know about.
MCL-6-P Is the Ruland part # I believe. I got mine from Zoro.

https://www.zoro.com/ruland-shaft-co...-p/i/G2823856/
Old 09-25-23, 07:43 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Outside of a tire, they decay relatively rapidly. Inside a tire, they shouldn’t have too many problems. Rubber is fairly easy to keep from decaying if it is kept from light and ozone.
I have to agree with this.... and also FBin NY.. the Chain-L man.
When you buy a tubular tire with latex tube.. that tube is always in the tire safe from sunlight and ozone.
When you buy a latex tube for a clincher tire.. you don't know how long that tube has been stored, or under what conditions it's been stored. And some of the packaging is clear.
I had the same trouble.. trying to get the ride feel of tubulars on clincher tires..... and the latex tubes all were bad. So I just bought the lightweight butyl tubes instead.
Old 09-25-23, 08:17 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by trailangel
I have to agree with this.... and also FBin NY.. the Chain-L man.
When you buy a tubular tire with latex tube.. that tube is always in the tire safe from sunlight and ozone.
When you buy a latex tube for a clincher tire.. you don't know how long that tube has been stored, or under what conditions it's been stored. And some of the packaging is clear.
I had the same trouble.. trying to get the ride feel of tubulars on clincher tires..... and the latex tubes all were bad. So I just bought the lightweight butyl tubes instead.
Storage in clear plastic packaging shouldn’t be a problem. Most plastics absorb UV fairly well in addition to offering an excellent barrier to ozone. Long term storage in paper boxes can be somewhat problematic since paper is acidic.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-25-23, 03:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Your headline shifts attention to the wrong place.

Your problem isn't the tube or it's age. It's the nature of the rim and tire fit. The cross section of inflated tires on most rims is something of an hourglass with the tire assuming an Omega shape with the beads forming a narrows and the rim having air space below that.

What's happening is that the base of the valve is above the narrows, and as you inflate the tire, the tube balloons down between the beads into the rim. However, the reinforced patch is too stiff to blow down that way, and forms a sort of overhang with a gap below. The tube immediately beyond is unsupported and stretches down past the beads, and with nothing to stop it blows into the gap near the valve, stretching it beyond it's limit. Like any rubber balloon it then pops. You can see the evidence of the problem in the form of the pimple, and also the stretch marks along the entire length of the tube's belly.

The remedy has 2 parts depending on the specific case. Best, once the tire is mounted, and before inflating push (do not pull) the valve all the way down past the beads.

In some cases the gap between the beads is too narrow and you cannot push the base of the valve past them, so need a Plan B. You can fashion some "ramps" on either side of the valve to support the tube there, and feather the transition from above to below the beads. Or, use material from a dead tube to make a longer reinforced area which tapers so the tube will settle lower without a sudden loss of strength so close to the valve.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-26-23, 01:15 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Alll tubes go bad in a few years...
Old 09-26-23, 03:48 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by wheelreason
Alll tubes go bad in a few years...
That depends on the storage conditions. I’ve taken 40 year old tubes out of tires that are no longer rubberized. All they are are fabric cords. The tubes are just fine.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-26-23, 06:40 PM
FBinNY 

That depends on the storage conditions. I’ve taken 40 year old tubes out of tires that are no longer rubberized. All they are are fabric cords. The tubes are just fine.
Yes, and no.

Butyl tubes can last decades, even in less than ideal conditions.

However, while storage conditions make a big difference, latex tubes will age fairly quickly, no matter what. I consider 5 years to be the upper limit.

Old 09-27-23, 08:55 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, and no.

Butyl tubes can last decades, even in less than ideal conditions.

However, while storage conditions make a big difference, latex tubes will age fairly quickly, no matter what. I consider 5 years to be the upper limit.
Although I have never used latex tubes, I’m not inexperienced with dealing with latex…especially in conditions that damage latex. I used sheets of dental dam for vacuum pressing in a chemical laboratory for decades. That’s an environment where exposed latex will degrade in days to weeks. After uses, the dental dam was placed in sealed polyethylene containers and used over a period of many years. Inside a tire, there should be little to no degradation because there is little exposure to anything that would degrade the latex.

Old 09-27-23, 10:39 AM
FBinNY 

Although I have never used latex tubes, I’m not inexperienced with dealing with latex…..Inside a tire, there should be little to no degradation because there is little exposure to anything that would degrade the latex.
IMO this is a case where actual specific experience trumps theoretical analysis.

First of all, tubes inside tires are not sealed in plastic bags. They're inflated daily, or nearly so. Moreover, tires are not weather proof, especially the lighter tires that users of latex tubes tend to have.

I've been riding tubulars with latex tubes since 1967, so we'll over 100 tires. 100% of the tubes that last that long show visible signs of oxidation --- brown color, and loss of elasticity, after a few years.

So, to anyone asking: if you're lucky enough to have latex tubes last a few years, figure on 5 years or so as the limit.

That said, the OP's problem has NOTHING to do with latex or age. He has a specific issue which I addressed earlier in post 13.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-27-23 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-27-23, 10:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

I've never seen it. Yes, they decay and become useless as innertubes but I've never seen one leave the box, steal, kill, break laws or otherwise "go bad". I haven't even seen them stir up trouble with my other bike parts. I did have a pair of Challenge latex tubes blow at the interface between the valve section and the tubes but as brand new tubes on their first ride (and two miles apart). Tough childhood?

So, use them in timely fashion but otherwise, don't worry about it. And check their references and police records.
Old 09-28-23, 02:17 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
How many folks use latex tubes regularly? I used them for half my wheels for a couple years then decided the ride wasn’t worth the cost and lack of durability.
Old 09-28-23, 02:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
For me - latex tubes in clinchers was an interesting experiment but I never continued it. Now sewups? Yeah!! They work just fine. I never have to handle them. All I have to do is keep riding those sewups 'till they die, not shelve them. (And pump them up every time I go riding, a little ritual. And a little upper body workout. Always good.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-28-23 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-23, 04:37 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
..... (And pump them up every time I go riding, a little ritual. And a little upper body workout. Always good.)
Yes, sometimes it seems that the only arm exercise I get is with my Silca biceps machine.

IMO, latex makes sense in light tubulars, which have very supple sidewalls. In most clinchers, the only benefit is the added exercise.

In any case, I'm a broken record here, but the OPs problem has NOTHING to do with his tube's material.

Old 09-30-23, 03:33 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is the only good answer. The punctures are similar despite different wheels. Aging would have nothing to do with a puncture pattern but this explanation below about ramps and beads might be onto something. I am thinking that patching the holes might create enough of a ramp of thicker matieral to help. I will also try the push the valve trick. I usually do that anyway so we will see...

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Your headline shifts attention to the wrong place.

Your problem isn't the tube or it's age. It's the nature of the rim and tire fit. The cross section of inflated tires on most rims is something of an hourglass with the tire assuming an Omega shape with the beads forming a narrows and the rim having air space below that.

What's happening is that the base of the valve is above the narrows, and as you inflate the tire, the tube balloons down between the beads into the rim. However, the reinforced patch is too stiff to blow down that way, and forms a sort of overhang with a gap below. The tube immediately beyond is unsupported and stretches down past the beads, and with nothing to stop it blows into the gap near the valve, stretching it beyond it's limit. Like any rubber balloon it then pops. You can see the evidence of the problem in the form of the pimple, and also the stretch marks along the entire length of the tube's belly.

The remedy has 2 parts depending on the specific case. Best, once the tire is mounted, and before inflating push (do not pull) the valve all the way down past the beads.

In some cases the gap between the beads is too narrow and you cannot push the base of the valve past them, so need a Plan B. You can fashion some "ramps" on either side of the valve to support the tube there, and feather the transition from above to below the beads. Or, use material from a dead tube to make a longer reinforced area which tapers so the tube will settle lower without a sudden loss of strength so close to the valve.
Old 09-30-23, 03:42 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by JeffOYB
.....I am thinking that patching the holes might create enough of a ramp of thicker matieral to help. ....
Don't forget the other side.