Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Merckx Motorola Team Bike Value

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 05:33 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Merckx Motorola Team Bike Value

I am in the process of selling off a number of my bikes. I am a little stumped on the value of my Motorola Team bike that I may put up for sale. It is an actual team bike (Michel Zanoli). It is a MX Leader with all the original Dura Ace 7400 series components. The frame size is 61.5cm measured center to center. I would consider it in very good to excellent condition. I am not finding any comparables so am asking the 'experts' for a guess as to value.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 10-12-23, 07:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Zanoli was the guy with the bad temper, yes?
Even as just a nice Motorola Merckx, in a large-ish size, should be worth some decent bux.
Old 10-12-23, 08:38 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Yes. I remember him punching out a rider in a sprint. Believe it was a North American race too.
Old 10-13-23, 07:04 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
I’ve purchased a couple team bikes similar to this one. On one hand, this bike *should be ~$1,500 and maybe you assume some added value as a pro bike. On the other hand, you will have to be patient to find the right buyer. I have a similarly sized restored Merckx 7-Eleven team bike (unknown rider) listed for $2,900 that hasn’t sold.
Likes For alexihnen:
Old 10-13-23, 09:37 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
There's a guy here in town that specializes in collecting team bikes. He has originals of many, including all the Merckx, motos, 7-11s, Raleigh's, Miyatas, postals etc.
He's been fire selling all of them in his retirement.
None of them are known rider bikes tho.
Motorola's $1500, 7-11s $1700-1900
They've been for sale for a couple years and he's only sold a couple. More collector bikes than anything else.
Not a lot of people want to ride someone else's achievements.
If you ride it, you may be expected to ride at that level. Competing with people is one thing competing with your own bike is another... 😜
Old 10-13-23, 10:15 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
That is cool, and my size. If this was local.....
Old 10-13-23, 11:41 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
I don't think I'd let it go for less than $2000.
Old 10-15-23, 10:00 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
To exploit the team bike angle I think it should appear just like when it was team bike. No idea how it was configured.
I think otherwise it is just a very nice condition Eddy Merckx, values are depressed right now, might recoup a bit.
demographics are moving the wrong direction, the number of USA retirees is way up, the beginning of the boomer retirement.
‘in your favor, it has index.
Old 10-15-23, 10:19 AM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Other than the saddle, seat post and tires it is all original as it was raced. I am a US retiree and that is one of the reasons I am selling off some of my bikes and components. I don't want my kids to have to deal with all of it.

Originally Posted by repechage
To exploit the team bike angle I think it should appear just like when it was team bike. No idea how it was configured.
I think otherwise it is just a very nice condition Eddy Merckx, values are depressed right now, might recoup a bit.
demographics are moving the wrong direction, the number of USA retirees is way up, the beginning of the boomer retirement.
‘in your favor, it has index.
Old 10-15-23, 07:34 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
That’s a great bike. Probably in the low 1Ks these days. Might be one to hold onto until the values come back up.
Old 10-17-23, 10:40 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Originally Posted by plonz
That’s a great bike. Probably in the low 1Ks these days. Might be one to hold onto until the values come back up.
If this valuation is true, then I'm a candidate for the OP's bike. I don't want to think prices are that low for an actual team bike. I know we're running out of people who care about such things, though. Doubt the values are coming back up.
Old 10-18-23, 04:08 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
That Mercks is a lovely bike, high end to say the least and team issued. The price on such bikes is still going up, in my opinion. In general, lower end vintage road bikes have dropped (a lot) in value but the higher end ones are still going up in value. If the providence of the bike can be verified, that alone will add to the value. Were the bike mine, I would hang on to it unless I got my price.

The funny thing is, this summer two team bikes came my way - a Specialized Sirrus and a Trek Alpha SL 2200. Both bikes were raced by a professional racer who happens to be my neighbors son. Both bikes were given to the young man by Specialized and Trek, respectively. That said, the young fella is not a super duper well know rider, so that will not place greater value on either bike...

The third (actually, I got this one first) sports team livery, or so I have been told. The bike, a Devinci mountain bike, found in reasonably good shape, and sporting Ford team livery was found by me at a local dump. Is the Devinci a team bike? I don't know but I do know that I really like my new/old mountain bike. This is in "as found" condition and, pretty much, unsafe to ride...

and as it sits now, refurbished, road worthy and safe to ride, although the bike could still use a more proper cleaning and fit adjusting, starting with saddle tilt...

So, what value would I put on the OP's bike? Two grand ($2,000.00) US, at least. I am old and would start seeking a buyer right away, if the OP's intent is to sell. I would put the bike up for sale on Ebay, with really good pictures and complete description and be prepared to wait for the right buyer to come along.
Old 10-18-23, 11:31 AM
Sedgemop 

Originally Posted by randyjawa
That Mercks is a lovely bike, high end to say the least and team issued. The price on such bikes is still going up, in my opinion. In general, lower end vintage road bikes have dropped (a lot) in value but the higher end ones are still going up in value. If the providence of the bike can be verified, that alone will add to the value. Were the bike mine, I would hang on to it unless I got my price.

So, what value would I put on the OP's bike? Two grand ($2,000.00) US, at least. I am old and would start seeking a buyer right away, if the OP's intent is to sell. I would put the bike up for sale on Ebay, with really good pictures and complete description and be prepared to wait for the right buyer to come along.
I hazarded $2000 in a post above and I think that's right as a minimum. Don't think value has decreased much on the truly special bikes. Interested to see what the market will bear these days.
Old 10-18-23, 12:51 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Getting a value on a bike from this board is sort of like getting a quote from a pawn shop.

If you need to sell it in a matter of days or weeks, maybe their lowball estimates have some merit.

But the thing is, that's one of the coolest vintage steel racing bikes around. There's some tall guy with money out there who idolized that bike in his youth.

I'd list it at more than $5,000, and maybe take offers for just the frame. You can probably get $700 to a grand parting out the 7400 components, wheels, etc.

Let it sit on eBay or pinkpike or wherever for a few years; the right person eventually will find it. Do not auction it.

People walk out of bike shops all the time with $5,000 bikes, and what do they really have? Nothing special. That bike is special.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 10-19-23, 07:16 AM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Ha! Love the pawn shop comment. And it can be true. Many of us have lurked for a long time and have stumbled upon some amazing deals. Anecdotally, I used to ask about values here and have stopped. I posted a special Austro-Daimler here once and got a ~$800 consensus. I sold the bike, minus bar/stem and saddle for $2,200. I think I posted a Trek 770 as well and got the same value estimates. It sold for $1,600.

Some bikes are special because of their condition, component group, provenance, or whatever. They take longer to sell and it can be rather random, but they do have greater value.

Edit: Of course as I think about this the most common occurrence is someone who has a nice bike and is told that it's worth $4,000 or whatever when it's an $800 bike.

Last edited by alexihnen; 10-19-23 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For alexihnen: