Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Cars Cause Cancer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 03:19 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cars Cause Cancer?

One thing that's really struck me since I gave up the cage is how NASTY cars smell. Even the ones with new "cleaner" exhaust systems still stink to high heaven. It seems ironic to me that we spend so many billions and pass so many laws to stop tobacco smoke because it MIGHT kill you if you live long enough but do so little to prevent a discharge that's 100% lethal in a matter of minutes.

I've been looking around for studies looking at links between exhaust and cancer, and there are a few interesting results. But for the most part the topic seems totally off limits. If you know about studies, please post the links in this thread. I'd like to collect them together as a resource.

Professor George Knox, from the University of Birmingham, said youngsters were at higher risk of cancer if they lived near emissions hotspots, such as transport depots. But experts said the public should not be alarmed by the claims and stressed much more research was needed to show what level of exposure posed a threat.
https://newsmine.org/archive/nature-h...ild-cancer.txt

A number of exhaust hydrocarbons are also toxic, with the potential to cause cancer.
https://www.nutramed.com/environment/carsepa.htm
Old 03-14-07, 11:38 AM
allencb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noooo, crusty old Mosins firing obsolete rimmed cartridges cause cancer.

On a serious note, you don't see a large hue and cry against cars for this reason because people need/want cars more than they need/want cigarettes.

Chris
Old 03-14-07, 12:53 PM
donrhummy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want to check this thread out:

Pollution: Any solutions for cyclists to minimize impact? Any studies?
https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=165915
Old 03-14-07, 06:36 PM
prestonjb
ld-cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The mechanical beast does emit a foul odor. However like all things running on carbonic fuels there is intake and exhaust... Even those with mouths can expel a undesirable odor...

But the real statement is how to reduce emissions not to remove the car... But that doesn't mean we should not also reduce the number of cars (reduce the use of)...

This also includes reducing using the use of the car to do biking... So many drive to the trail-head or the parking lot to ride their bikes...

I just sponsored a train-bike ride where we used a train to take us out of town so we could ride in a place we would normally drive to... Then when done we biked back to the train station... (the original station not the one we got off at hee hee)...
Old 03-14-07, 07:02 PM
allencb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prestonjb, that's a neat idea. I'll have to check out the feasability of doing that in this area. We're blessed with a decent train infrastructure, this being NoVa/MD/DC. The only question is whether or not the train will get us to a place we'd want to ride in the first place.

Chris
Old 03-15-07, 03:30 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry. Posted to LDC formun when I wanted to post with my fellow car-haters on the LCF forum.

Originally Posted by allencb
Noooo, crusty old Mosins firing obsolete rimmed cartridges cause cancer.
54R forever!
Old 03-15-07, 03:58 PM
mostatebears

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree and find it incredible that anti-tobacco activists will yell and scream about someone putting out a tiny little amount of smoke then jump in their car and blow huge amounts of exhaust all over the city.

We recently passed a law here in my city that outlawed tobacco use in restaurants and bars. One of the supporters was saying that everyone has the "right to clean air." I told them we did not or people would not be able to use their cars inside the city. Of course I was mocked for my crazy statement.