Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bad experience with REI/co-op cycles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 12:31 PM
mrbrian1969

Bikes: Older cannondale crossover (needs restoring), old Schwinn fixie/single conversion, brand new co-op cycles cty 1.1 (non-functional).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was going to buy a decent bike at a real bike shop, when I realized that I was still an REI member and asked myself why I wasn't shopping there. I did go and shop there for new bike, had a bad experience, got into a couple of conflicts with the bike shop manager I'm assuming? I don't know why I didn't leave right then. Every time I had someone knowledgeable helping me and we were starting to make progress toward figuring out what I needed she would tell them that she needed them to be on break right now, or that she needed them to do something. She eventually got exasperated and pretty much told me that I was just wasting her time and that she needed me to make up my mind as to which bike I wanted. I should have walked out right then, I knew that, but, for some reason I bought the co-op cycles cty 1.1. less than a month later the derailleur hanger shattered, and I have spent more than 6 weeks trying to figure out which derailleur hanger that bike uses. I have took a stab in the dark and tried ordering a couple of them that were similar, but, they didn't fit and it was just a waste of money. I spent a good portion of my day trying to find out from REI who the bicycles manufacturer is, haven't gotten anywhere there. I use that bicycle to commute to work, and, I've had to use more Uber rides in the last few months then I ever have before, at this rate I may just have to write off the price of the bike, because, without a fitting derailleur hanger, I'm not sure I can even dump it on anyone else, and, I can't use it myself, so I guess all I can get for is the cost of scrap metal, and salvage components? Which, it doesn't have great components to begin with, so, I really don't know why I bought it
Old 12-05-23, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
I'll bite...Why didn't you go to that "real bike shop" you considered in the first place to get a replacement hanger?

BTW...This is basically a duplicate of the other thread you started. Non-kosher.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-05-23, 12:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I'm not a fan of people who create bf accounts just to start slamming a bike shop or bike manufacturer...That's the sort of attitude that makes me wonder if the REI bike shop manager was correct about you. But nonetheless, I'll offer a couple suggestions:

1) Take the bike back to REI and ask them to replace the derailleur hanger, or at least give you the ordering info.
2) If the above doesn't work, just return the bike for a refund if it's been less than one year.

PS: I've never heard of a derailleur hanger "shattering."
Old 12-05-23, 12:53 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
I’m really not a fan of buying new bikes in general. There are so many better deals to be had through bike co-op’s, craigslist, facebook and ebay. Just something to consider for any future endeavors.

I empathize with you otherwise, I’ve had my share of buyers remorse and difficult customer service issues when buying a bike. These large corporate sporting goods retailers should be avoided like the plague. Your LBS on the other hand, under the right circumstances, can be a great place to get fitted for a bike.

Im sure the derailleur hanger exists and a reputable bike shop should be able to help.
Old 12-05-23, 12:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by mrbrian1969
... for some reason I bought the co-op cycles cty 1.1. less than a month later the derailleur hanger shattered ...
What's the point of your thread? Just take the bike back to REI and get a replacement or a refund ...

100% satisfaction guaranteed

We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund—with a few exceptions—within one (1) year of the purchase date if you are an REI Co-op Member or within 90 days of your purchase if you are not a member.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-05-23, 01:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The purpose of the hanger is not only for mounting the rear derailleur, but also to protect the more expensive derailleur from damage. Not sure how a derailleur hanger shatters. I've seen them bent.

A bent derailleur hanger really implies some mishap occurred to bend the hanger whether the owner is aware of that incident that damaged it or not. Possibly being just one month old at the time, REI might have fixed it for little more cost than the part. I don't think REI's bikes are bad bikes. Certainly any other bike with a rear derailleur might have suffered the same damage.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-05-23, 01:54 PM
mrbrian1969

Bikes: Older cannondale crossover (needs restoring), old Schwinn fixie/single conversion, brand new co-op cycles cty 1.1 (non-functional).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was shattered

Originally Posted by Iride01
The purpose of the hanger is not only for mounting the rear derailleur, but also to protect the more expensive derailleur from damage. Not sure how a derailleur hanger shatters. I've seen them bent.

A bent derailleur hanger really implies some mishap occurred to bend the hanger whether the owner is aware of that incident that damaged it or not. Possibly being just one month old at the time, REI might have fixed it for little more cost than the part. I don't think REI's bikes are bad bikes. Certainly any other bike with a rear derailleur might have suffered the same damage.
There wasn't even enough left of it for the local bike shop service manager to recognize what it was until I told him. I assumed that that was the case, that the derailleur hanger is supposed to protect the derailleur? The problem with that is a new derailleur of the type that I have for that bike was 1395 from Amazon and I could have got it the next day, I'm still looking for the right derailleur hanger well over 6 weeks later
Old 12-05-23, 01:56 PM
mrbrian1969

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why?

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'll bite...Why didn't you go to that "real bike shop" you considered in the first place to get a replacement hanger?

BTW...This is basically a duplicate of the other thread you started. Non-kosher.
He couldn't get me one, he wasn't able to find the part number either he said he could try to order one if he could find it, but it would take quite a while to get in. But since he couldn't find it anyways. I'm actually going to try back there again, and another bike shop
Old 12-05-23, 02:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
There wasn't even enough left of it for the local bike shop service manager to recognize what it was until I told him. I assumed that that was the case, that the derailleur hanger is supposed to protect the derailleur? The problem with that is a new derailleur of the type that I have for that bike was 1395 from Amazon and I could have got it the next day, I'm still looking for the right derailleur hanger well over 6 weeks later
Naw, BITD before removable derailleur hangers, in some cases a situation that would wreck a removable derailleur hangar would require $300-ish in bicycle framebuilder labor.

At a month old you shoulda taken it back to REI, even now at 2.5 months old I'd take it back to REI, bike tech will email for replacement part, then put it on when it comes in. If it's a part that a lot of Co-op bikes use then they might have some in a bin.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-05-23, 02:20 PM
mrbrian1969

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about that

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Didn't realize there was etiquette against multiple related threads, the reason why I posted two threads this one was specifically sharing my experience with REI with other cyclists to perhaps find out if that's common / Warren other cyclists to beware if they are going to shop there, where is the other thread was specifically asking for advice on how to find a derailleur hanger. Again, apologies for the impropriety
Old 12-05-23, 02:24 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
where is the other thread was specifically asking for advice on how to find a derailleur hanger.
Remove the rear wheel and any remaining hanger bits, take a photo of the drive side dropout and I'll take a crack at finding the hanger later tonight.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-05-23, 02:43 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
You can return it up to a year.

BTW- I've only had good experiences with REI bike shops. Both King of Prussia and before that Conshohocken in PA.
Old 12-05-23, 02:51 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I have had good experience with REI taking into account their business model. A step up from Academy but don’t expect LBS level of service.
Old 12-05-23, 02:51 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Just curious---what happened the instant before the hangar "shattered"? Was there some sort of incident, or did it just spontaneously explode into so many pieces it was completely unrecognizable? D*mn suicide bomber derailleur hangars... Thank God you weren't injured.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 12-05-23, 02:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
. less than a month later the derailleur hanger shattered,
This seems dubious.

... and I have spent more than 6 weeks trying to figure out which derailleur hanger that bike uses. I have took a stab in the dark and tried ordering a couple of them that were similar, but, they didn't fit and it was just a waste of money.
It might be helpful to you to provide more detail here.

This is for a City 1.1 from 2017-2020. There's a reasonable chance your bike uses the same hanger.

https://derailleurhanger.com/manufac...ty-1-12017-20/

https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-han...hanger-38.html
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 12-05-23, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Did I miss why you haven't taken it back to REI and let them fix it? When you do, ask them to help you figure what you did wrong so you won't break the new one.
Old 12-05-23, 03:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Didn't realize there was etiquette against multiple related threads, the reason why I posted two threads this one was specifically sharing my experience with REI with other cyclists to perhaps find out if that's common / Warren other cyclists to beware if they are going to shop there, where is the other thread was specifically asking for advice on how to find a derailleur hanger. Again, apologies for the impropriety
How about addressing the return issue, or did you bend the hanger, causing the RD cage to shift into the spokes? I’ve seen that happen twice, including once with one of my bikes.
Old 12-05-23, 03:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
There are always two sides to a story. All I know is that I have had nothing but stellar customer service for bike, and non-bike, equipment at REI. I would sure like to hear the manager’s side.

Now return the bike to REI and ask if they can help you with the hanger issue.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-05-23, 03:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Go

Originally Posted by rsbob
There are always two sides to a story. All I know is that I have had nothing but stellar customer service for bike, and non-bike, equipment at REI. I would sure like to hear the manager’s side.

Now return the bike to REI and ask if they can help you with the hanger issue.
This x100. OP is still within the timeframe in which he can simply return the bike (broken or not) and say, "I don't like it and want my money back" -- and they will cheerfully issue a refund in about 30 seconds, even without a receipt -- even though the OP likely broke the derailleur hanger, since they don't spontaneously break.

I really can't understand why the OP hasn't simply GONE BACK TO THE SHOP THAT SOLD HIM THE BIKE. And as an REI member for longer than I can recall (at least 35 years), the complaining about their CS is grating. It's one of the few remaining large operations that really goes out of its way to be customer-friendly.
Old 12-05-23, 03:48 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,498 Posts
REI service/

as a matter of real life experience I needed a stripped BB rethreaded Italian from English.local bike shop-Assemacher-$200. REI member $25.while I waited.40 +year member & never an issue they couldn't solve.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-05-23, 04:14 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
It sounds like you did everything BUT the one thing that you should have - taken the bike back to REI. You say you "took a stab in the dark and tried ordering a couple of them that were similar" and then "spent a good portion of my day trying to find out from REI who the bicycles manufacturer is", but for some reason you didn't just take the bike in and ask them to replace the hanger? If the bike was less than a month old, they probably had one in stock.

There's nothing wrong with REI bicycles, or their service. And derailleur hangers don't shatter. Your story is bogus and a transparent attempt at trolling.
Old 12-05-23, 04:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I have never owned and ridden one, but looking at them in the REI store near me, the REI branded bikes they have for sale always looked like reasonable products, for what they charge for them. Thank you for this timely warning, or I might have stumbled in there during the off season sales of bikes and done something stupid.
Old 12-05-23, 04:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Just gotta know how long was he in the place to begin with? 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours? Multiple salespeople and no decision troubles me in that the amount of time being used for a simple decision may have been excessive. Or is it inexperienced sales help that did not know or understand how to direct a customer to a decision within a reasonable time frame?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-05-23, 05:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
He couldn't get me one, he wasn't able to find the part number either he said he could try to order one if he could find it, but it would take quite a while to get in. But since he couldn't find it anyways. I'm actually going to try back there again, and another bike shop
This is also dubious. REI keeps a record on everything I have bought ever since I became a member years ago to buy my first road bike. Any REI customer service representative can look up your order history and find which CO-OP bike you bought, and based on that information the bike service department can order a replacement RD hanger, if it does not already have a spare. Failing that, the return period is a full year; why not just return it and buy another bike from somewhere else?

The service at REI was exceptional when I bought my first road bike there. On the busy last day of the 2017 spring sale, the woman at the bike service department spent nearly an hour measuring me and adjusting two adjacent sizes (54 vs. 56) of the same bike for me to test ride to figure out my ideal size, then told me to order from REI online to get the color that was on sale.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-05-23, 05:41 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is also dubious. REI keeps a record on everything I have bought ever since...
It's the part number for the hanger (not the bike), I suspect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.