Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What is the best electric bike out there?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 05:44 PM
chickdigthebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for something with comfort and ease- it must go up hills and be able to trail a carrier for kids. If anyone has any ideas I would LOVE your help!
Old 05-15-10, 10:22 PM
morph999 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best one is probably one you can build yourself with a kit. It's also cheaper to do that. It also depends on how often you want to use this e-bike. If it's something just for the summer, you might want to just get an e-bike that has SLA (lead acid) batteries. If it's something you think you'll want to use for years to come, then you might want to invest in an e-bike with better batteries like ones with lifepo4, lithium-ion, or NIMH.

You can find this bike for $850 but I think it uses SLA batteries. SLA batteries is the worst battery for an e-bike. You get short range and they are just kind of awful for an e-bike. I don't recommend them at all unless it's just for the summer.

https://www.hybikes.com/

There also the the Izip Zuma. There's the Ezee bikes. Look up "ezee electric bike" on google. Those are the popular brands. I don't know how well the hybikes.com bike does on hills. If you want to build your own, the ezee motor does really well on hills.

Here is the Ezee kit
https://ebikes.ca/store/store_ezee.php

It's $1200 but it comes with a lithium battery which is really want you want if you want long range and longevity. You could probably get the kit without the lithium battery if you wanted to use SLA instead.
Old 05-16-10, 08:31 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some experience with the Lightfoot Cycle products. I bought an electric recumbent from them for my son several years ago and it is still the most comfortable electric I have ever ridden.

Lightfoot is now making a bike designed solely for electric. The Smoothie can accommodate a Bionx or Eco Speed electric system. As soon as I can justify the expense I am going to be ordering the Smoothie with the Eco Speed system. With 36 volts driving the back 8 speed cassette and the recumbent comfort I doubt if there is anything on the market that can compare in both comfort and performance.

https://www.lightfootcycles.com/smoothie.php
Old 05-18-10, 10:16 AM
ROJA
Pepperoni Power

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am very new to electric bikes and many here have more information than I do. That said, if you are looking for an electric bike that is ready to ride (no DIY required) and that you can buy at a regular bike shop, check out the latest Trek electric bikes. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/electric_bikes/

They seemed to be designed to be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 05-20-10, 12:38 PM
in-control

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best e-bike

It depends!

If you have a mountain bike that you like, adding a kit is pretty easy. I did not so I purchase a value price mountain bike and converted it. I would not use anything less then 500w/36v & lifepo4 battery. As I want to use it more like a low end scooter then a pedal assist.

The total cost including racks, lights,mud guards to me was $1200. If I could get that from a bike shop for less then I would go for it.
Old 05-20-10, 01:29 PM
confounded

Bikes: Soma Buena Vista mixte single speed commuter, Aster 27 speed folder, Mercier Kilo TT Gold Digger fixie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It really depends on what you want the bike for.

The first decision you should make it whether you want a pedal assist or throttle control. If this is a bike for exercise with a little extra power for towing a carrier, then throttle assist is probably all you need. If you want something to actually get you around without pedaling then you'd want a throttle bike. If it's for mixed use then you might want both options.

Many on here are advocates of building your own, but I think that has a lot to do with how handy you are and how much effort you want to put into the job. I've personally found the custom built bikes to have the wrong proportions once you add the weight of the motor and battery so I'm more drawn to the purpose built e-bikes. I've ridden a few but haven't yet found "the best" for my needs.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-10, 12:39 PM
miro13car
Banned.

Bikes: Norco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best are Tadial Force/recentlyE+/ and Optibike.
there are no secret about it.
There are both USA-made.
I owe Tf and can tesdtify to incredible durability of its motor/contrioller.
Original NMH batt was cause of problems but after replacing batt with LiFePh my TF is rock solid. and very efficient.
MC
Old 04-16-15, 01:41 PM
MusiCALpuLLtoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morph999
The best one is probably one you can build yourself with a kit. It's also cheaper to do that. It also depends on how often you want to use this e-bike. If it's something just for the summer, you might want to just get an e-bike that has SLA (lead acid) batteries. If it's something you think you'll want to use for years to come, then you might want to invest in an e-bike with better batteries like ones with lifepo4, lithium-ion, or NIMH.

You can find this bike for $850 but I think it uses SLA batteries. SLA batteries is the worst battery for an e-bike. You get short range and they are just kind of awful for an e-bike. I don't recommend them at all unless it's just for the summer.

Electric Bikes & Electric Bicycles | Buy an Electric Bike Online

There also the the Izip Zuma. There's the Ezee bikes. Look up "ezee electric bike" on google. Those are the popular brands. I don't know how well the hybikes.com bike does on hills. If you want to build your own, the ezee motor does really well on hills.

Here is the Ezee kit
All Geared - Conversion Kits - Shop

It's $1200 but it comes with a lithium battery which is really want you want if you want long range and longevity. You could probably get the kit without the lithium battery if you wanted to use SLA instead.
hybikes or aowa one and the same made in china with different cosmetics. 36,48 and 60volt. junk!! i dont know about the other bicycle type.
Old 04-24-15, 08:40 PM
OrionXavier

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdigthebike
I am looking for something with comfort and ease- it must go up hills and be able to trail a carrier for kids. If anyone has any ideas I would LOVE your help!
You'll probably want at least 750W for the torque under higher weight loads, going uphill. I've done a lot of research into the question you posed here (excluding the trailer requirement) and I would suggest the $800 Dillenger 1000W front wheel kit. (dillengerelectricbikes.com) There was a review of the Dillenger 750W rear wheel kit at Dillenger 750W Gearless Electric Bike Kit Review - ElectricBikeReview.com

Pros:
Battery is easily removed to carry with you
Cadence sensor snaps on, easy install
Motor inhibitor break levers
Relatively low cost compared to many other kits

Cons:
Rear wheel kits can be troublesome to install, require special tools
Battery rack is not rigid and rattles/wobbles

I have not purchased any e-bike kits or e-bikes before, but this seems like the best solution without approaching the cost of a motorcycle or vehicle. The author of electribikereview.com actually owns a $4K e-bike, which to me is ridiculous. It doesn't offer anything worth that much money.

Also if you're looking for a bike as well, I'd suggest the Trek 7.2 FX. It's about $500 w/tax. It's a good city commuter. I ended up changing the bike seat, pedals, and tires. I highly recommend Schwalbe puncture resistant tires, like their Marathon line. Especially with an electric motor kit, to make it less of a hassle to change flats!
Old 04-24-15, 08:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
https://www.mission-motorcycles.com/r

Old 04-25-15, 11:22 AM
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chickdigthebike
I have been researching ebikes since 2008. This is the best one I"ve come across that would do what you're looking for.

I have the fat tire bike from them. Very good bikes - high quality.

Step-Thru Stretched Electric Beach Cruiser Bicycle - Equalizer Electric Bicycles

hope it helps.